• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And holy shit it tasted great. Why didn't anyone tell me those tasted that good? I was expecting some "meh" experience but nope, shit tasted better than the beef burger I ate moments before.
Are all "fake meat" that good?

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
No, they're not all that good. But Impossible is pretty close too! I go back and forth on which one I like better.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all about that veggie burger life. Stuff is great. There's a local vegan place that does a seitan burger that's to die for.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
No, but if you like Beyond, you'll probably be okay with most of the modern ones. Impossible is better too, but harder to find

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the overall taste of Impossible burgers to Beyond burgers but they're both not bad.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
as a beyond meat stock holder, i like this thread.

beyond meat is pretty good. You can tell its not exactly the same as beef, but if you switched exclusively i doubt you would care.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Impossible are closer to the real thing. Beyond are pretty decent though.

My hope is that these alternatives become closer or lower in price then their meat competitors. It'd cut down on a huge amount of greenhouse emissions if we didn't have to raise, kill, process, and transport cattle.

As someone who loves red meat, even when raw in tartare form, I can't wait for the day when we're not reliant on it and can have a more sustainable alternative for the basic foods that I love, especially for those forms (hamburger, sausage) where the emphasis is more on texture than flavor.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really prefer beyond to impossible although I've only had the impossible whopper twice, it just tastes like a cheap imitation where as the beyond has its own unique flavor.

Enhks

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I was suprised too at how good they taste. Still don't compare to actual burgers for me, but from time to time I am happy eating one of them.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I've only had the Impossible Burger which is pretty damn good. I hear Beyond is similar, but not quite as good. I like them to avoid red meat but they are not at all healthy like a true veggie burger.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting for Beyond/Impossible/some other company to get the sodium content WAY down and the prices down at least a little before I could make this a regular part of my diet.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
That ingredient list though.

Also, sodium overdose.

Hope it gets better with time.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I hate Beyond meat. Hate. At first I thought it was just me. But then my son, at 4 years old, tasted it once and gagged. I've heard from others that it's perfectly fine. To me, it tastes like the smell of cat dissection in high school biology. Just foul, and completely unfit for consumption. I wonder if there is some genetic thing going on, like how cilantro tastes like soap to some people.

Impossible burgers on the other hand—love them. I buy Impossible at least half the time we go grocery shopping. They're great.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Beyond is the only one I've tried and I spit it out, tbh. Tasted like hot garbage and smelled even worse.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
I think that depends on where you live and where you get your meat from.

And what's in the cow that gets made into beef that makes it to you that's not in the ingredients list? Cause unless you're getting from a local butcher that's grass-feeding them and kills and chops them up themselves, you don't know what you're actually putting in your body. And if you're doing that, you're paying a lot more than what Beyond and other similar products cost.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, it is not good for you, but it is a more environmentally friendly way to enjoy the burger experience, so its not all bad.
Is there an environmental impact comparison somewhere?
And what's in the cow that gets made into beef that makes it to you that's not in the ingredients list? Cause unless you're getting from a local butcher that's grass-feeding them and kills and chops them up themselves, you don't know what you're actually putting in your body. And if you're doing that, you're paying a lot more than what Beyond and other similar products cost.
I mean there's also pretty different regulations for that in different places. And everyone should buy local, if possible anyway.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
Isn't it pretty much the ultimate processed food though?
Yeah, for those for whom that matters, definitely super-processed. But requires far fewer resources and less death to make!

The study found that from cradle to distribution, the Beyond Burger generates 90% less greenhouse gas emissions and requires 46% less energy, 99% less water and 93% less land compared to a quarter pound of U.S. beef.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I really like them. You don't expect that while cooking them, the color and odor seem off. But one they're done they actually taste good and the texture resembles minced meat quite well

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
And holy shit it tasted great. Why didn't anyone tell me those tasted that good? I was expecting some "meh" experience but nope, shit tasted better than the beef burger I ate moments before.
Are all "fake meat" that good?

No.

You have top tiers ones that taste incredible, and have the consistency of normal burgers, and then you have fucking brands trying to replicate that very poorly and it's awful.

It's a gamble but if you find a good one then you can stick with it.

I make my own burgers now with some of these and I prefer them to normal ones.

It feels light, not greasy, eating just 2 fills me up.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I hate Beyond meat. Hate. At first I thought it was just me. But then my son, at 4 years old, tasted it once and gagged. I've heard from others that it's perfectly fine. To me, it tastes like the smell of cat dissection in high school biology. Just foul, and completely unfit for consumption. I wonder if there is some genetic thing going on, like how cilantro tastes like soap to some people.

Impossible burgers on the other hand—love them. I buy Impossible at least half the time we go grocery shopping. They're great.

Yeah I'm with you there. It smells like cat food or something to me so I can barely get it in my mouth without heaving. Impossible is much better but way harder to find unfortunately.

itsrealfood

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond and Impossible are both great! Also check out the Beyond Italian Sausages. I like those even more!

Oct 27, 2017
They're both decent tasting - especially with cheese and Mayo etc - don't recall which doesn't have soy, but I enjoyed that one more.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't taste like beef to me, (talking about the ground I bought at the grocery store) but it has a good texture and does taste like meat from an animal I've never tried before. (ie, it doesn't taste like beef, but if it were served to me I'd ask "what type of meat is this" and not even think it was a veggie burger, which is a huge stride. Just gotta get a lower sodium version out. )

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
i had one long ago, it was awful, tasted like all the other fake meat products. Impossible had a strange consistency to it, but it was so much better.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Impossible Burger is way better than Beyond Meat. It's a decent choice though if you don't have access to the Impossible Burger.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried Impossible meat--can't find it anywhere--but I use Beyond Meat ground beef and sausages frequently. They've opened up a whole new category of cooking for me.

The sodium levels are high, but unfortunately, I think that's part of why they taste so good.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
I haven't tried Beyond but I did try Impossible back when Burger King were doing the Impossible Whoppers. Honestly enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. If I had eaten it without prior knowledge I'd probably think it was just a regular beef burger.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yup they're great. Not 100% replication but honestly we're gonna need to accept some change to get rid of beef.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
We used the "ground beef" for tacos last weekend and it was great. Expensive, but we'll be using it going forward.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Impossible meat basically makes Beyond redundant. The only reason I ever go with Beyond is if it is on sale