Votes: 216 47.6%
  • Sonic Lost World

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Sonic Heroes (didn't replay it)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Really tough call between SA2 and Generations.

But the latter edges out because it feels more polished. And I'm not overly keen on some of the treasure hunting and shooting stages. To this day I think Adventure 1 handled them better.

The perfect 3D Sonic would be a mix of SA1, SA2, Unleashed and Generations. They all get some aspects of 3D Sonic spot on.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sonic Generations is the best. And I agree that SA1 is much better than SA2, making Knuckles/Tails levels mandatory did not do well to the game.

Sonic Heroes is fine on your first run with Sonic-Tails-Knuckles, but playing with the rest of the characters makes it very repetitive. the game is average, just keep your expectations low or you will not enjoy it at all.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I'll just list my top 5 and then the bottoms; anything not listed is somewhere in the middle. Also, this is not me trying to say which games are legitimately best, but which I personally enjoy the most. Keep in mind I care most about the characters in this series and can even excuse bad gameplay for that lmao:

FAVORITES:
Sonic Adventure 2 - perhaps the most replayable game I've ever played. This gets pretty much an annual playthrough from me. Best gameplay in the series, I love all three of the main gameplay styles (treasure hunting is probably my favorite). Best story in a Sonic game, and I enjoy watching on every playthrough. Chao garden is super addictive, but everyone already knows that. I also think this game had the best stages design-wise and the best art direction. The ideal Sonic game IMO.
Sonic and the Black Knight - shockingly good, especially since Secret Rings is frustrating and mediocre at best. Controls were surprisingly fun, and the boss battles were pretty engaging. Story was good and made much better use of the King Arthur theme than Secret Rings did with the Arabian Nights, and I liked how more of the actual Sonic characters were incorporated into it (and some others even playable!). Soundtrack was also good, one of the last Crush 40-heavy ones.
Sonic Adventure - amazing soundtrack, nice level designs. Most of the gameplay styles are still fun (not Big's though, but at least he only has a few stages; on the flip side, I wish Amy's pseudo-stealth gameplay would return one day), and the story is entertaining at least, even if it is kinda goofy. E-102 Gamma legitimately has a good story though. Controls and camera are a little annoying at times, but most of the time, it is not an issue.
Sonic Unleashed - the last mainline Sonic game that even attempted to take itself seriously (until Sonic Forces, but the latter doesn't succeed as well). Day stages are fun (and the best of the boost games, thanks to not having the Wisps yet), and I actually enjoy the Werehog stages. They're definitely too long, but it's a kind of mindless fun. Music is extremely good in this one, too.
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) - hear me out; I have played this one all the way through many times. Maybe I just enjoy trash. I legitimately like the story in this one, and it introduced my favorite character: Silver. The gameplay is usually decent honestly; only Sonic's stages suck because the high speed parts are god awful in controls; if the game was polished, I think they could've been cool, though. I like wandering around the parts of Soleanna, Silver's gameplay is pretty fun in particular, the soundtrack is stellar, and I appreciate the ambition. Load times are horrendous, though. I think that's a worse sin than the glitches and unfinished stuff honestly. Also, Shadow's character was so good in this game, a real logical progression for him.

LEAST FAVORITES:
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
- awful, and not even in a Sonic 2006 way where it looped back to being fun. How extremely generic and bland everything feels certainly doesn't help. The music isn't even good, which is when you know it's bad for a Sonic game.
Sonic Colors - I can't stand what this did to the series. I hate wisps, I hate the humor that started here, I hate the focus on just Sonic/Tails/Eggman. The only positives this game has IMO are the music (extremely good) and the level themes from a design perspective. I was already getting sick of boost here.
Sonic Lost World - colorful and decent music, but otherwise, no good. Has the sin of introducing the Deadly Six, and the story is shit. The parkour gameplay just wasn't that fun either.
Sonic Heroes - I LOVE the soundtrack to this game, but that's about it. I hate the shiny character models, I hate the way every team goes through the same stages in the same order (even when it doesn't make sense), I hate how little plot there is, I hate how slippery everything controls. It's just not good. It's also very frustrating at times, I feel like I get angrier playing this game than practically any other 3D Sonic. I also hold a grudge for this game being the cause of people dissing the large cast of the series.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
For me generations comes top. I haven't played every 3D Sonic, but what I do know is that Sonic Adventure 2 is a bad game and I won't trust anyone putting it near the top.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Heroes and SA 2 are the only ones I could really get into, it's between those. I'd say Heroes is the best, more of its stages are rail grinding/speed stages while a lot of SA 2's stages are walking in a mech or treasure hunting which just aren't fun

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
No Chao Garden mention in Sonic Adventure 2? That was the only reason I spend hundred of hours playing this game when I was a teenager. Sega is quite stupid to not develop a Chao Garden spinoff.

Anyways, of the bunch, Generations is my favorite easily. So much nostalgia playing this game. And ignoring that, the gameplay is solid. Mods, like always, improve the experience a lot.

HD Unleashed is something I'm quite curious, despite knowing well how tedious the Werehog sections are. Played this one on the Wii, so no hub or collectibles to unlock new stages... I think? Don't remember well. All I know is the day stages were quite entertaining.

Adventure 1 and 2 were games I spent too many hours (like already mentioned, main reason were the Chao Gardens) as a teenager. Now though, I'm wary to replay them. Something tells me they haven't aged well.

Colors was great, but didn't spend too many hours playing it. Finished it and then went to the next game.

Lost World haven't played it yet.

Heroes is like the same with Adventure 1 and 2. Loved it as a teenager. If Sega were to add it to Steam, I would buy it and might replay it.

Not in the list, Shadow the Hedgehog... Yeah... I liked it... back then. Now, nah. Watched videos in Youtube and I don't understand how I tried to collect all the endings in this game. Too much spare time.

The Crush 40 themes of these games I still replay them in Spotify though. Live and Learn is the GOAT.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
Sonic adventure 2:battle on gamecube despite all its many flaws will always have a special place in my heart plus chaos and corny good music!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Hard for me to pick between the top two but the rest falls into place quite easily

1. Colours
The idea of a modern sonic title with such a laser focus seemed impossible at the time, after many titles going all over the place with only Heroes or dare I say Secret Rings sticking out as games that imed for one core gameplay focus and stuck to it.
Colours was able to take Unleashed's solid base for Sonic gameplay, slow it down to more manageable levels and compensate for its frequent asset flipping using the Wisp powers to create a title that's a bit like Sonic 1 style platforming meets boost gameplay.

The tone was refreshing after years of diminishing returns on serious Sonic, plenty has been said about how the series would go from here with its middling comic approach, but right here in 2010, this was needed. Just a straightforward Sonic vs Eggman tale, with a unique setting that took Sonic back to more fantastical locations (finally, no cities in sight!) and sticking to Sonic doing platforming throughout.
It could be argued to not reach as many highs as some other entries here but that consistency more than makes up for it.
Also the debut of red rings which are actually a pretty neat collectable that lead to seeing all a stage has to offer.

2. Generations
Modern Sonic level design peaks here with some standouts like Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill.
The classic side is great as well, stages really reward platforming chops and have great dynamic elements and set pieces (the City Escape truck repurposed into a terraforming ever present obstacle is great, Crisis City's ending fakeout is fantastic).
Some elements of the package are kinda jank like the final boss, some side missions and whatever the flying fuck the shadow stage is all about, small things that along with a lack of unique identity slot it just under colours for me despite higher highs in level design.

3. Adventure 2
SA2 is a game that in many ways is roooouuuugh, but it's got so much character and a clear effort behind it, I just can't help but be drawn into its brand of nonsense.
It's a full on variety pack, from gameplay to soundtrack, it takes aim at so many different ideas and barely hits the mark with them, yet even if it's not a bullseye they still land on the target.

4. Adventure
Sonic's stages here are a lot better than those in Adventure 2, the spin dash jump is a wonderful piece of broken tech and more open level design allows you to make great shortcuts.
Falls behind SA2 for me because the actual progress through the story is more meandering with the hub antics and a lot of the extra gameplay styles feel unrefined.

5. Lost World
The most potential that never quite materialises.
Great simplified aesthetics that harken back to the original, a killer OST and a bunch of new ideas for 3D Sonic make it look like it's gonna become something better than it is, unfortunately the game weakens as it goes on and like a lot of modern Sonic could use a lot more 3D than 2D.
It's an unrefined gem that will never get the follow up to tackle that parkour gimmick, one thing I do appreciate still is that it's relatively glitch free, yaaay

6. Forces
AGGRESSIVELY MEDIOCRE
But honestly pretty inoffensive as a brainless boost Sonic outing where you can make hilarious avatar abominations, doesn't do anything particularly well but doesn't do anything horrific (outside some comically bare level design in places). Classic Sonic feels kinda like the original master system outing in its level design and I low key dig that. Stands out as being a "we have no idea what people want so here's something that please no one" title, like Lost World though it does perform pretty well

7. Heroes
editing this in because I almost forgot, has a solid idea for a base but falters because only speed is particularly enjoyable, flight feels horrible, power requires you to be level 3 to not be a slog. Level design is initially promising but every dang stage repeats itself two or sometimes even three times, multiplied by the other characters and the truly tedious chaotix missions in particular.
Almost has something but falls flat on its face.

8. Unleashed
A strange mix of Sonic Team really going for it with a new engine, gameplay style, bold visuals and a well realised globe trotting adventure with a soundtrack to match.
Only to spend a lot of its time dealing with a middling God of War lite Werehog and some horrible QTE abuse.
Chip is Scrappy Doo and I'm glad he's been never seen again, the opening scene and ending segment give off the illusion that there's actually an interesting adventure like plot in here (there's honestly less than Forces going on here), the attempts at humour are so middling that I'm surprised later games get all the flak for this instead.

9. Sonic 06
Fuckin' lol

(also I guess there's secret rings and black knight, might as well slot them slightly above 06)

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Good write up! Lists like that it's always going to be different to each person, because Sonic is so inconsistent and fans will enjoy different takes at different points in the franchise;

My favorite 3D Sonic is Lost World. I played them all as they came out and while I could take some joy out of each one in some regards, I feel Lost World was the only one I enjoyed from beggining to end; I wish they'd do more with that formula of gameplay.. but instead we got more Boost, which, I never was a big fan to begin with.

Heroes is a guilty pleasure of mine and the Adventures (the first one at least) got their merits on the physics and solo Sonic gameplay;

EDIT: So I think my ranking goes ~

- Lost World
- Heroes
- Adventure
- Colors
- Adventure 2
- Generations
- Unleashed
- Forces
- '06
- Shadow (it counts, I suppose)

Last edited:

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
My Personal Ranking:

1. Sonic Adventure 2
  2. Sonic Generations
  3. Sonic Colors
  4. Sonic Adventure
  5. Sonic Unleashed
  6. Sonic Heroes
  7. Sonic Lost World

Sonic Adventure 2 is the optimal Sonic experience for me. A ton of content, great cast of characters, engaging story that has actual consequences to the over all universe, great incentives to play after the main story, the most refined Chao raising experience, addictively fun multiplayer. It's just SO much that this game does right that it's flaws can be overlooked. It's definitely the Sonic game that I've played the most and I absolutely love every few years firing up a new save and playing through it all over again.

Sonic Generations is almost the perfect love letter to fans (Sonic Mania takes that mantle), and is basically the best parts of Sonic Colors and Sonic Unleashed. It is a complete rush to burn through the levels as modern Sonic. There's an amazing sense of accomplishment learning the optimal paths in each level and being able to have a perfect run. I love how power-ups are added distinctly change up the experience and of course being able to blaze through the levels with Super Sonic, which is still a feat that very little 3D Sonics do, was huge hit of nostalgia. And as I said in my thread, this game is extremely gorgeous. The art design and graphics holds up so well many years after release, truly one of the best looking Sonic games ever. While this game does so much good, it is very lacking in content, and the side missions can be down right awful at times. Still one of my favorite Sonic games to replay.

Sonic Colors feels like the safest modern Sonic game. Doesn't do anything wild like Unleashed, but at the same time doesn't have the finely tuned levels like Generations. The levels here are much shorter, contained ideas and constantly mixes 2D and 3D to try and find that middle ground with fans. The wisps are surprisingly not super gimmicky, but at the same time they don't add a whole lot to the overall experience. An issue that does pop up is the story however. This is the first game with Roger Craig, which I think he nails as Sonic, but god the writing and story brings this down so much. I like the idea of Sonic being a sarcastic character, but at the same time the story plays more like a Saturday Morning cartoon. It lacks any depth and coming off of Unleashed with these huge setpieces, grand world and great atmosphere, Sonic Colors feels like a huge step down narrative wise. Each cutscene seems to only be there for comic relief and the stakes never feel important. Again, safe, they don't try to do this complex story and instead side for a simple and completely inoffensive story.

Sonic Adventure is feel is high on this list due to nostalgia and it's importance to the franchise. It still blows my mind that this game and scope was released in 1998, when the last main line Sonic game at the time was Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Being as a soft-reboot of the franchise, they threw everything with the kitchen sink in there and it shows. There's a lot to love about this game. The overworld, seeing Sonic in 3D for the first time, actual character depth and voice acting, how Sonic feels. But at the same time, all of this is impressive from a late 90's perspective. The voice acting is laughably funny, the 3D models move and animate weird in cutscenes, the overworld is extremely confusing the first time you play and there's SO much padding in this game. I appreciate what this game did for the franchise and put forth a true AAA experience, but it has not aged well over the years. Still gets a replay from me every few years. Also Big the Cat is objectively the worse part of this game.

Sonic Unleashed of course is super conflicted. The art style is great, and honestly every Sonic game should have went with this design philosophy. Super cartoonish characters set in this gorgeous realistic world with ton of life and personality. That opening cutscene, my god what a joy that is. It's impressive and always set the standard of what Sonic should be like for a movie. The day time stages is a complete rush but as every one says, the nightime stages brings everything down so much. They are grindy, take forever to play (sometimes reaching almost half an hour for one stage) and it just doesn't feel good to play. I understand that the nightime stages serves to add more content/different playstyle, but it just doesn't work well. I feel if the Werehog was just completely replaced with Knuckles, had a combat system closer to Devil May Cry/Bayonetta then the experience would be completely different. It's a game that I'm constantly disappointed wasn't better because I want this game to be so good.

Sonic Heroes, admittingly has been a super long time since I played it, but I remember liking it at the time but as years went on, I found the experience to be just okay. It's the unofficial sequel to the adventure era, but gets none of the benefits from it. No exploration, no real distinct playstyles, no chao garden, and no large emphasis on story. The different teams don't feel distinct enough to justify wanting to play through the different teams. The problem is that you HAVE to play through the other teams for full completion and you end up playing the same levels 4 times with little to no variation between them. You come from Sonic Adventure 2's great story with world ending stakes, character development to Sonic Hero's plot, which literally just serves for the characters to get to the next level and that's it. The only notable thing from the plot is the Shadow clone reveal but it feels so unjustified because at that point of the story you just don't care. You have no investment in the story and if you skipped every cutscene in the game, you wouldn't be hard pressed for understanding the game at all. Stakes feel low and I understand it was supposed to be a no nonsense gameplay style like the classic games, but falls flat on it's face because even that doesn't work. Classic Sonic and multiple characters worked because they all had distinct roles and abilities. You can completely beat Sonic 3&K with Sonic and get the full experience. You don't HAVE to play Tails and Knuckles to get a completion. At the same time, Tails and Knuckles plays similar to Sonic, but distinct enough for them to feel like a different experience. I can't say the same here for the 4 teams. I also hate the requirements to get to the special stages. It feels completely unnecessary and is only there for you to have to grind out the stages over and over again to get the Chaos Emeralds.

Lastly Sonic Lost World. I wanted to like this game, I really did, but it's just not that good. It starts off promising by having a completely different feel for Sonic. A lot slower, more platform heavy 3D Sonic, which we really haven't had Since the Adventure games. But then it quickly goes down hill from there. The first few levels are genuinely good, but then get worse as the game goes on. Then you begin to feel the limitations of how Sonic controls and how unfun it is to play. Levels just becomes thing to do, rather than things you WANT to do or have fun doing. They eventually get frustratingly boring to complete or frustratingly awful to complete due to level design and feel of Sonic. Zavok and his crew are completely boring and feels useless to even have in the game. You could replace them with Eggman's robots and nothing of value would be lost. What I really felt like this game should have been, was like a spiritual succcessor to Sonic X-treme. Some what open world/sandbox level design in which a slower Sonic makes a lot of sense with elements of speed sprinkled through platforming segments and set pieces. But instead we get a Super Mario 3D Land/World approach to level design without the actual benefits to that style.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I know of. Maybe you're remembering SA1? :P SA1 controls so much better than SA2.
No, it was definitely SA2 I'm thinking of. The Sonic level I remember feeling the most different was Green Forest. I wonder if it was just the octagonal gate on the GameCube analog stick? I remember on PS3/PC the slightest twitch in the opening would send you flying off the little halfpipe tunnel thing at the start.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
No, it was definitely SA2 I'm thinking of. The Sonic level I remember feeling the most different was Green Forest. I wonder if it was just the octagonal gate on the GameCube analog stick? I remember on PS3/PC the slightest twitch in the opening would send you flying off the little halfpipe tunnel thing at the start.
I recently played this with an xbox controller, and yeah it feels a LOT more janky than it did on the Cube, not just a lot more twitchy but sometimes it's like the character would completely flip out with their direction and fly off 90 degrees away from where I was actually intending.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Sonic Adventure 2 is superior to Sonic Adventure because it was 60 fps instead of 30. And because they got rid of the annoying hub worlds.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
My personal take on the 3D Sonic games:
I have no nostalgia for any of them so in my opinion the best on is Generations. While the story is paper thin, I don't mind and the only complaint that I have is the final boss fight. The rest was great.

I also played Unleashed, Adventure 1/2.
All three games have in my opinion the same problem. Their Sonic( and Shadow) stages are good/great but the werehog stages were way to long and I hated them. Same with all the Adventure friends levels, non were as engaging, interesting or as fun as the speed stages of Sonic/Shadow. And this tells a lot, because I could finish Forces but couldn't any of the other 3 games. Forces is meh but easy and stupid enough to finish. I simply don't have the nerves for boring gameplay anymore.

Still need to play Colours!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Generations
  2. Colors
  3. Adventure
  4. Adventure 2
  5. Forces
  6. Secret Rings
  7. Lost World HD
  8. Unleashed HD
  9. Unleashed SD
  10. Lost World 3D
  11. Heroes
  12. Shadow
  13. Black Knight
  14. 2006
  15. Boom HD

OP
OP
NANA

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, 06, Secret Rings, Black Knight all have way too many problems and issues to be contenders for best 3d sonic.

Lost World doesn't know what it wants to be and its latter half is probably the weakest of any sonic game, so I think its out of the counting. Unleashed has a great aesthetic, daytime stages, a nighttime gimmick that is reasonably fleshed out and the hubs are charming but it feels like a rough first draft that never got the necessary fine tuning so it gets the pass too. Sonic Adventure 2 suffers from similar problems except the speed levels only make up a third of that game's content so it too gets a pass. Love the Chao garden though.

Generations is the most obvious candidate for best 3d sonic game because it has the most polished take on the boost formula and probably the most consistently fun selection of stages out of any 3d sonic game. The overall package isn't as great though, the story feels like an afterthought as does the weird overworld and a lot of the side content lacks the same polish and care that was put into the main stages. Classic Sonic without momentum or rolling was also a weird mistep. It's one of those games I'll play to replay a specific stage but not the whole game if that makes sense.

Colors frustrates me because it comes so close to being the most consistently good 3d sonic game. It has my favorite aesthetic out of any 3d sonic game, there's no reused level themes and I think it has the best soundtrack out of any 3d game. Likewise, I think wisps are the best 'gimmick' of any 3d sonic game because they compliment rather than replace Sonic's moveset. I also like the emphasis on smaller gimmick levels which encourage exploration and using wisps in interesting ways to discover red medals which unlock bonus levels and eventually super Sonic. It's a gameplay loop that reminds me of Donkey Kong Country 2 in that the collectibles have meaningful value and feel great to find. Unfortunately, it suffers from Sonic's controls being mismatched for the type of game that it is. He moves way too fast and the new double jump doesn't feel right so you end up going through the platforming segments slowly which doesn't feel great. Likewise, the level design and gimmicks aren't great, a lot of the platforming is really basic and by the numbers and some of the level gimmicks feel ill fitting not just a sonic game but for a platformer in general (who thought waiting for a door to open was a fun idea for a level?). So yeah, I love how Sonic Colors looks and sounds, but not how it plays.

That leaves Sonic Adventure. I think it's the most visible flawed sonic game. It looks dated and the voice acting is terrible. Likewise, I don't think that the first level is a good first impression as is the poor signposting what you have to do next. However, I think Adventure remains the most genuine effort to translate 2D Sonic into 3D. For one thing, I think Adventure has the most solid implementation of how Sonic should control in a 3D space. Sonic doesn't go instantly fast but rather he gets increasingly faster while still being controllable. I really like the boost and how its not just a means of going faster but a way of interacting with the environment to get to places you couldn't normally reach. The level design accomodates how Sonic controls really well too. There aren't many hallway style levels, every level feels like it has its own unique structure and gimmicks and more importantly, they are all built around Sonic's momentum so that a good understanding of Sonic's controls allow access to secrets and areas which is how it should be. I think the optional playstyles are implemented surprisingly well with the exception of Amy Rose and Big the Cat and I really enjoy how they are told as different perspectives of the same story. Racing against Sonic as Tales and being able to fly over the levels you'd usually run through is a really great take on how Tales could play in a Sonic game and I'm disappointed it hasn't really gone anywhere. Overall, I think that Sonic Adventure, in spite of its age, nails the essentials of a 3d platformer such as controls and level design. Thus, I think its the best 3D sonic game.

Edit: Bottom of the page :/
Top or bottom of the page doesn't matter, I read every post :P I appreciate and largely agree with your points. Love the way you describe SA1's gameplay and level design, I couldn't have said it any better.
i enjoyed OPs writeup, do heroes next!
Thank you so much <3 glad you enjoyed it despite my terrible writing.

I apologize tho, I just can't handle Heroes' repetitiveness.
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) - hear me out; I have played this one all the way through many times. Maybe I just enjoy trash. I legitimately like the story in this one, and it introduced my favorite character: Silver. The gameplay is usually decent honestly; only Sonic's stages suck because the high speed parts are god awful in controls; if the game was polished, I think they could've been cool, though. I like wandering around the parts of Soleanna, Silver's gameplay is pretty fun in particular, the soundtrack is stellar, and I appreciate the ambition. Load times are horrendous, though. I think that's a worse sin than the glitches and unfinished stuff honestly. Also, Shadow's character was so good in this game, a real logical progression for him.
Hey, Sonic 06 is one of the reasons why I keep a 360 around. I too find the story so very entertaining. And that theme.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have *some* nostalgia for the first two SA games, but Generations is definitely the best. So boneheaded of Sega to not stick with that formula.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Colours is by far my favourite of the 3D entries. The level design, aesthetic and just moment to moment gameplay are all fantastic. Being 30fps is the only real issue with it imo.

I think Heroes is pretty underrated also though, so maybe i'm just weird. I think Heroes is by far the best of the Sonic Adventure style games.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Adventure 2 > Heroes > Generations > Adventure 1 > Unleashed > Colors > Lost World

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Generations and SA2 are definitely the top contenders, though I have a soft spot for Colors. I need to replay it, but it's OST is in constant rotation for me.

Apr 21, 2018
My nostalgia and love for SA knows no end and I really want a re-release. I'd play it.

I also don't understand how people prefer SA2 to SA1. Forcing us to play non-sonic levels was such a huge negative for me.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I gave it to Colors because it felt more like it delivered on a path forward for Sonic vs Generations which felt more like a really strong throwback. Would love an HD version of Colors running at 60 FPS.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Secret rings definitely had the right idea and I'd say it paved the way for the future sonic games.

Favorite game would be generations although I love colours. I'll always have a love hate relationship with sonic adventure. Would love a re make by the mania team.

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
1- it's a tie between Sonic adventure 1 & Sonic Generations
because I appreciate them both a lot for different reasons.. a new game that can learn from both of these games would be amazing.
but ultimately I choose Adventure for the amount of impact it had on me when it was first released.
2- Sonic Unleashed HD
this can easily be one of the most underrated gems of all time.
people can go on and on about the werehog, sun/moon medals and hub towns... non of those elements were bad to me.
on the other hand everything else was brilliant.
3- Sonic Adventure 2
unlike most people SA2 was a disappointing sequel to me even when it was first released back in the day.. still great game though
4- Sonic Colors
great game too
5- Sonic & the Secret Rings
this is without a doubt the best non canon adventure game for sonic. great ideas and concept that was completely butchered in the sequel Black Knight.
6- Sonic Lost World
a good platformer but not a sonic one.
7- Sonic 06
butchered with lots of bugs/technical problems and bad controls for an otherwise a new game in the adventure style.
7- Sonic Heroes
8- Sonic & the Black Knight
9- Sonic Forces

Last edited:

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
SA2 > Generations > Colors > Heroes > Unleashed > SA1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Secret Rings > Black Knight > 06

Havent" played Shadow the Hedgehog and Lost Worlds and Forces

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
It's not April Fools yet so idk why you posted this.

Sonic and the Secret Rings has the worst controls I've ever experienced in a game and you have to work towards having less shitty movement and controls. The game is fucking atrocious.
Because I liked it far better than unleashed or heroes.
Also I never liked generations and don t understand the praise for this game

Oct 27, 2017
this thread honestly makes me wanna play sonic again. i just know that i really disliked adventure when i tried it on ps3 back in like 2010, but i also love sonic mania and the 2d games. maybe i'll pick up generations on the xbox store.

OP
OP
NANA

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
this thread honestly makes me wanna play sonic again. i just know that i really disliked adventure when i tried it on ps3 back in like 2010, but i also love sonic mania and the 2d games. maybe i'll pick up generations on the xbox store.
Mission accomplished! :P

I'd strongly recommend the PC version of Generations tho, the 360 version is 30fps even on X/SX afaik.

Nov 17, 2017
Sonic Adventure 2 is the best. I think Colors and Generations are close and they're more consistently good but SA2 has something they lack which is scope.

Oct 27, 2017
Late to the party lol, but it's definitely nice to see that Generations took this poll.
Like, honestly imo the only consistently good 3D Sonic games are Generations and Colors, but even they're just kind of "alright" when compared to the truly great high-quality stuff like Mario 3D World or the recent Crash Bandicoot 4.
Like, even at its most solid 3D Sonic is plagued with superfluous mandatory padding and never truly rises to become greater than the sum of its parts.
That's why I find it hard to object to posts like halcali's.
They're all mediocre to bad.
Like, if someone said that about Rayman, Crash, Spyro, Ratchet, etc. I'd be like "WAT! You're nuts!" , but with 3D Sonic I'm just kind of like "...Yeah..." lol.
I long for a truly great 3D Sonic, but I think that's just kind of impossible under contemporary SEGA/Sonic Team.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The ones in the OP I'd rank

1. Adventure 2
2. Adventure
3. Generations
4. Colors
5. Heroes
6. Lost World
7. Unleashed

But there's a pretty big gap between Adventure 2 and 1, and then another between Generations and Colors. Adventure 2 is one of my favorite platformers ever, partially because the Chao Garden is endlessly replayable and partially because its best parts are some of my favorite moments in any video game. Adventure 1 is solid stuff but never even gets close to those highs. I don't like the boost formula as much, but Generations is the formula perfected whereas Colors is well made but forgettable to me.