• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is "looks like red necks?"

Like a mullet and a tank top?

"She continued by describing the man saying he was Caucasian with a beard wearing a blue winter beanie, a blue zip-up sweatshirt with a hood and blue jeans that were too short, exposing "thick, grey hunting socks" with camel-colored dress shoes. She also noticed he had a rope like item hanging from his sweatshirt."

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The story isn't hard to believe. Person gets attacked and called racial and homophobic slurs. That is pretty plausible.

It is like at every single turn people have tried to say he was lying or discredit him and it is just continuing now and ABC7Chicago is a participant in that now. Fucking insane how irresponsible it is to report this.

It was never very plausible that he was physically attacked by two guys yelling "MAGA country!" who poured something on him and put a noose around his neck, and literally 60 seconds later he was strolling past the doorman to his building, sandwich still in hand, like he had not a care in the world. Anything is possible but the story never sounded likely.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Regardless of how this ends up the divide between (mostly) white posters thinking that this is obviously bullshit because the story is preposterous vs the (mostly) black posters who are like "nah things like this happening are really not that crazy" is pretty telling

I'm black, a native Chicagoan, and the main thing that seems eyebrow-raising to me is that this incident happened near the downtown area on one of the coldest known weeks we have ever had. Other than that, I'm hoping Jussie's recollection of the event is right because things won't bode well for not only him but for the movements he's supporting, if most parts of what he said wasn't true.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying, unless you see emails, texts, some sort of messages that suggest it was a hoax..are you really just going to run with that?

Seriously. This whole thing has gotten confusing and downright dumb, and could've been avoided by just waiting for more sources or the Chicago pd announcing it if it's even real.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
I'm black, a native Chicagoan, and the main thing that seems eyebrow-raising to me is that this incident happened near the downtown area on one of the coldest known weeks we have ever had. Other than that, I'm hoping Jussie's recollection of the event is right because things won't bode well for not only him but for the movements he's supporting, if most parts of what he said wasn't true.

That's one of the more sad aspects of this situation for me. Such a loss/loss. I find myself in some la la land where I hope, for obvious reasons, that he wasn't attacked, while also hoping it wasn't a hoax.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Between this thread and twitter, I'm so confused right now.
Even when i read the original thread, I didn't know what to believe. I didn't think it was outside of the realm of possibility, but something about the original account of the story just seemed....off to me.

I still don't know what to believe. The story just keeps getting wierder and wierder.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because of this:

Percentage of False Reporting

The statistics clearly show false reporting is rare.

Understood, and I appreciate your point. And to that point, it's why we should respect the claims of a victim and hear them out fully and with compassion. But it should never mean it's not ok for someone to also respectfully want more detail or facts before going all in with their outrage. We don't live in a world without nuance. Without color.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep.

Nah, been through this too many times for a middle ground. I'll side with the people on the receiving end of a country full of hate because they're not white. I'll side with the women raised in a world that promotes toxic masculinity treating them like they are just things waiting to be taken.

I don't even think it's a middle ground. It's not "oh that's your story? We shall see." It's "I'm so sorry that happened. I am here for you. I'll support you. And let's get to the bottom of what happened."

I'm sure this thought process will get lost in the shuffle of people saying "see, always be cynical. Never believe anything."

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I checked out the moment I read that he had an unused coil of clothes wire around his neck the whole time he was at home waiting on the police to arrive.

If this is a hoax then he's going to really hurt the ability for victims of attacks coming forward.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
90 minutes ago:

Right now:
9PLkeDE.gif

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And FTR even if CPD had confirmed the reporting it's still taken with a grain of salt until we see the evidence

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
so did they kick in the door of some Nigerian extras and take a bunch of stuff? It's like if any officers had the imperative to fuck with us 'just because, fuck them', they certainly could. And easily, if they're the ones releasing bad "police" info. They're not likely to hold anyone in high regard here, the media, Smollett supporters, "news" orgs like TMZ, and so on.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think it's a middle ground. It's not "oh that's your story? We shall see." It's "I'm so sorry that happened. I am here for you. I'll support you. And let's get to the bottom of what happened."

I'm sure this thought process will get lost in the shuffle of people saying "see, always be cynical. Never believe anything."

lol @ supporting black people. Especially black gay people.

I stand by what I said. I have no problem with what you're saying. Just know, it's not the norm.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta say, I bit my tongue on commenting on this originally, because certain specific elements of the story didn't add up, and I had zero familiarity with Smollett prior to hearing this story. The main suspicious thing to me was that it had elements that would fit a random spontaneous attack (perpetrated by opportunistic bigots) but also elements that seemed premeditated. I couldn't totally reconcile them in my head, so opted to say nothing rather than air my doubts.

If this was indeed staged, it's a real slap in the face to actual victims of racist and homophobic abuse.

What a mess.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
could've just stuck with "he wasn't going to be written out", that was enough to make the point. Now it looks like someone is overcompensating for something

anyway, for all of you who were all like "why is it against the rules to post about how you're skeptical of a victim" or whatever, this post right here is why. y'all will think literally everything is suspect.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we should have more info tomorrow (this is the twitter feed for one of the local CBS reporters) that should hopefully get some clarity on this gigantic mess of contradicting narratives.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Wow, I come back from a Valentine's day of spoiling the love of my life (...me) to this.

What a shit show.

Either way, I'm still siding with Jussie here, especially since he's still standing by his story as of this morning and all the new information seems to do is obfuscate things, not point directly to him lying. It's a hodgepodge of shit, basically.

I will say, however, that the biggest crock of shit was the rumor that Jussie would stage an assault to keep from being written off Empire. The insanely popular show...on which he plays one of the most popular characters...and has even produced several episodes.

I mean, suppose stranger things have happened, but I frankly don't see how that would be more believable than Jussie being assaulted in the dead of night by two bigots. It's like, people want so badly to believe that Jussie made this up because it sounds so "fantastical"...but continue to posit alternative theories of what happened that are even more fantastical.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Someone from CPD better be reprimanded when this is all said and done.

They either leaked key information in an ongoing investigation, or they leaked false information in order to smear the victim and tank the investigation.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guys are going to be lost causes during the 2020 election if you don't smarten up and double check sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.