• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
It's obvious that CMLL and Mexico in general was not a good fit for him unfortunately, he was working to a higher standard before excursion and only reached that same standard two, maybe three times in CMLL. I think it's unfair to dismiss him based on that alone. "Raijin" and "Fujin" sucked in CMLL as well, and so did "Watanabe" in ROH, while Hiromu struggled terribly in the UK.

Also, you have to think about why a young lion is sent to a specific destination - people are saying the same shit about O-Kharn, "oh, he's never had a good match" and so forth, when he's been sent to the UK to figure out his character work alone because he's already got the in-ring side of things down. Similarly, there weren't any concerns from NJPW about Kawato's in-ring ability, it's his confidence that needed building and in that respect I don't think Mexico did him any favours.
they did nothing with Evil during his Roh run though

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Jay White is easily the best wrestler in New Japan.

besides okada

and naito

and ibushi

and tanahashi

and suzuki

and hiromu

and ospreay

and ishii

and goto

and ZSJ

and shingo

and nagata

and ryu lee

and sho

and yoh

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
And ROCKAY!

1imVLXt.gif

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No more YOSHI-HASHI. Civilization has advanced past the need for YOSHI-HASHI

YOSHI has a strange, very dedicated (albeit small) fanbase in Japan, I think you'd definitely need to replace him with another "guy who always tries his best, even if it's not good enough" type for sure.

People always moan about YOSHI, what about Yujiro? What does Yujiro bring to the table, other than Pieter?

data west

Oct 25, 2017
YOSHI has a strange, very dedicated (albeit small) fanbase in Japan, I think you'd definitely need to replace him with another "guy who always tries his best, even if it's not good enough" type for sure.

People always moan about YOSHI, what about Yujiro? What does Yujiro bring to the table, other than Pieter?
I feel like Yujiro isn't getting in the ring with main eventers near as often as Yoshi

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I feel like I've seen faaaar more Yoshi Hashi single matches then Yujiro matches to write off Yujiro to the level I've written off Yoshi.

Sucks about the injury though, I'm not going to sit here and pretend I'll miss him but I never want to see anyone get hurt.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Yujiro isn't getting in the ring with main eventers near as often as Yoshi

That's fair, Yujiro doesn't really seem to get many chances after that period (around 2014, I think?) where he injured a few people in quick succession. I remember being impressed with the Tanahashi match in 2013.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe they gave that dude the title

what the fuck

desperation kenny omega replacement for 2 months and nothing more

still, probably would have been better to just let tana have that 4 month run and drop the title to okada. would have been a cool moment to see at a sold out MSG.

now fuckin switchblade has to show up in the champion reel at the beginning of a title match

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
desperation kenny omega replacement for 2 months and nothing more

still, probably would have been better to just let tana have that 4 month run and drop the title to okada. would have been a cool moment to see at a sold out MSG.

now fuckin switchblade has to show up in the champion reel at the beginning of a title match
american new japan fans cannot process wrestling without a white guy speaking english

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Didnt he try to go to a legit powerlifting comp and his t levels were 200 times more than they have ever tested or something crazy

Serpentine

Oct 25, 2017
fantasy booking an Aces & 8s 2.0:

Bully Ray
Gallows (The Director of Chaos) and Anderson
Wes Brisco
Heath Slater
Curt Stallion
The Deaners (or, Jake turns on the other one)
Hernandez or JD Drake, but not both
Deonna Purrazzo
Chris Hero

the D'lo tease would just be a red herring. Josh Briggs would have gone on here before he was outed as a creep

Let's hear everyone else's dream Aces & 8s lineups, I know you all have them

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Kairi is back.

Wonder if they will try to put the tag team belts back on her to try and keep her from leaving.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Watched the New Japan Cup from this morning.

Wow, that Kawato segment was TERRIBLE. He has a shit name, shittier look, and his first feud back is fucking DOUKI? Oh my God he's doomed. They really should have stuck him under Liger's mask and be done with it.

And the finals is going to be Okada vs. EVIL, which means Okada is probably winning and getting the belts at Dominion, cuz he's the biggest star and New Japan needs to get back to status quo to right the ship. Fuuuuuuck off with that shit.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Wow, that Kawato segment was TERRIBLE. He has a shit name, shittier look, and his first feud back is fucking DOUKI? Oh my God he's doomed. They really should have stuck him under Liger's mask and be done with it.

And the finals is going to be Okada vs. EVIL, which means Okada is probably winning and getting the belts at Dominion, cuz he's the biggest star and New Japan needs to get back to status quo to right the ship. Fuuuuuuck off with that shit.
Naito's reign was a mistake. The universe is just correcting it by having Okada take his rightful place as champ.

I'm kidding. I think they do Naito/Okada but Naito will win. I can't see them giving up on that reign when he hasn't done anything due to covid but they need the big match.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Looks like Kairi is back.

Wonder if they will try to put the tag team belts back on her to try and keep her from leaving.

Possible but not likely. Dave mentioned she was cleared to return, and was supposed to be written out of the company (through a "career ending injury") by whoever is Asuka's Summerslam challenger. Hopefully that plan has changed though. I don't really want to see another Asuka/Nia or Asuka/Charlotte match, and Shayna is missing and Vince doesn't like her. So ideally if Kairi does leave, her last match is against Asuka at Summerslam, even if its obvious she's gonna lose.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
People are gonna be eating their words three months from now when Master Wato is standing over the corpse of Tesuyo Naito holding IWGP Intercontinental/ Heavyweight belts.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

Naw man. Finals needs to be Sanada Okada and Sanada is forced to face Naito after first beating his tag partner. The rift is made, the stage is set, he splits and a new top performer finally throws his hat in the ring for the title hunt. Use him heavily as Kota Ibushis rival in that quest.

And I know Douki sounds like DOOKIE when they say it but hes got a lot of ability and is not in fact a shitty wrestler. Him and Kawato came up together so they have a tight ring chemistry that came from training together. They'll look good together even if Douki has been used as fodder for his whole run In spite of what I've seen him able to do. What did you want anyhow? Show up and bury Hiromu? Belts are full right now on their planned stories. He needs to circle mid and undercard and get himself over same as Sho and Yoh. Like those two a few years is how far off I see them having him fully realised in the card and with the fans.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
Quarter four saw AEW lose 4,000 viewers but gain 7,000 in 18-49 for the beginning of Cody vs. Jake Hager. NXT gained 62,000 viewers and 7,000 in 18-49 for Rhea Ripley vs. Robert Stone & Aliyah.

lol
Interesting that both shows grabbed the same amount of extra younger viewers yet AEW shed some old people and NXT add a shitload. Speaks to their demographics I guess.

Meltzer confirms Kairi Sane is going back to Japan soon to be with her husband and WWE has known about it since May. Plan under Heyman was to do a "career-ending injury" angle to write her off and set up Asuka's Summerslam opponent, but he thinks that probably has changed with Heyman gone.

Says there's talk she may wrestle a year in Japan after her WWE deal is up and then retire.
Wow 3 years and she's done. That really sucks, didn't someone say she took the job at WWE in order to try and get young girls into wrestling?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Wow 3 years and she's done. That really sucks, didn't someone say she took the job at WWE in order to try and get young girls into wrestling?

her spirit was probably crushed damn near immediately

not to mention the multiple occasions where her skull was literally crushed by unsafe workers

good on her for wanting out of that dank, urine soaked hell hole

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Yes, but I imagine her motivations were crushed when she spent the entire time on the main roster being the pin eater for the Kabuki Warriors or just not on TV at all. Combine that with both Charlotte and Nia injuring her (and neither of them being punished for it), and yeah I wouldn't be shocked if she wants out. It's a shame as well, because Fightful reported that she is incredibly well liked by the majority of the roster and backstage crew. It's just that WWE has no fucking clue how great she is. Even in NXT she was treated like a second rate talent compared to Shayna.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Good for Kairi to get out of that shithole company and to be with her husband.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Btw stuff like this is why I feel in spite of being buried for awhile that Douki has a lot of untapped potential.

Both he and Kawato need some stuff of their own right now. They're not gonna out flip Eagles, Fantasmo,Ospreay, or look as seasoned as Hiromu at this point. They just arent those guys and they just ain't over enough with fans yet to demand a higher place in the card.

This little mini feud is really what they both need. An old friend who is also hungry whose card spot doesnt demand your burial. They can go back and forth and let each other both get a ton of offense and keep things going. I expect Kawato to see either unclean losses to heel Douki and his pipe or wins where he gets beat after the bell to keep the angle goin long enough to establish both some cred as performers with the crowd.

To be honest, burying your card every time you want to try a new guy on the roster is generally bad for the roster overall. You end up feeding guys who've worked hard for you losses to someone unestablished who may not go over as hard as hoped or who may fizzle out or reveal too many gaps in their ringbwork and get exposed. Your whole product looks weak eventually when you do that and it is just as bad as 50 50 booking hurting folks. Non title guys need their own feuds till you can see enough draw power with fans to put em in the bigger divisional spotlights.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017

On the plus side it gives them an easy out to this double champ horseshit. Having 1 less belt around is 1 less major feud they can use to drive events. Okada throughout the whole double gold dash always maintained that all he cares about is the HW belt, not the IC belt. So he wins NJ Cup, challenges Naito for just the big gold and they seperate the belts again and maybe, just maybe we can actually have some meaningful IC belt matches again, something we haven't had since way back when Jericho won the belt then fucked back off the US.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Kairi vs Io plz

Though even if we get it, it'll be completely devoid of the heat that it would have had if Kairi was still in NXT for Io's turn. But if Kairi's planning to retire in a year or two and Io's sticking around WWE, this'll probably be their last chance for another match against each other.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
I alway figured Kairi planned to retire soon. I don't think she's too unhappy with how her run went in wwe, just figured she alway planned it this way.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
I alway figured Kairi planned to retire soon. I don't think she's too unhappy with how her run went in wwe, just figured she alway planned it this way.
I don't think she always planned to retire this soon. I know she mentioned in an interview shortly after she got married that she met her husband in late 2018, but he was supportive of her career in WWE and wanted her to keep going. It feels more like the injuries are racking up and she's had enough of dealing with WWE. She's had several big injuries over the span of like three months, and WWE isn't doing shit to protect her.

Nothing will happen, but in any other non WWE company, they would probably be examining if Nia is actually worth keeping on the payroll at this point. I don't think she's ever really been popular (especially as of late), and she's probably the worst women's wrestler in the world right now in every regard.