SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
i will luck into a win in this damn wareme majong variant

Edit: no one will read this, but damn it: I did it :')

Could have just used a Nine Gates tile when its your turn at wareme.

I forgot to post that I got my Plat a few days ago. 112 hours. Took me a lot longer than I planned. 15 of those hours were probably Puyo Puyo and 10 were grinding Dice and Cube for Nine Gates Tiles and trying to learn Mahjong.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Dreaded picking this up again after such a long break (played chapter 1 when this came out and got sidetracked) and it did take a bit to get used to it again, but now I'm all in again. Finished chapter 2 and did a bunch of optional stuff over the weekend (all side cases and friends I could, got all the QR codes) and while I still really dislike many of the new mechanics (tailing, chasing, drone stuff and the lethal attack shit in particular), I'm otherwise enjoying the hell out of it.

Aside from AI: The Somnium Files and Surge 2 - both of which I'm interested in but not getting day one - September is pretty quiet when it comes to games so maybe I'll actually stick with Judgment for the next 3-5 weeks and finish it. Very excited to see where it goes.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished it.

This is weak. Lots of padding chapters and side story that led to nowhere.
Story-tailing-active search-fight your main gameplay cycle.

Now I'm worried about Yakuza 7 being twice as long...twice the filler.

Edit: Saori Date DLC is lame. Pretty much she just follows you around. Even you eat at a cafe. It's just you.
You do get Thirsty Dude SP point 😆

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Fuuuuck I hate some of these gameplay mechanics. Is there a Youtube playlist of all the side cases or something? I've heard some of the later ones are really good, but I'm starting to feel like I should just focus and push through the main story and drop the game for now. Fuck tailing, fuck chasing and fuck the incredibly frequent street fights. I can't wait for Yakuza 7 with its turn-based combat, I'm starting to really hate the brawling.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
So this is on sale on the PSN store for $39, I liked Yakuza 0 (never finished it, think I just got side-tracked). How is this?

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I have issues with the control the side missions. It feels really clunky when he runs, just hits everything in the way. Feels like he is running too fast.

Side missions are mostly meh becauae of the tailing missions and tons of extra leg work to pick quests first.

But damn if the main story is not amazing. Yes, it's still cheesy and has tons of plotholes like the usual Yakuza games, but it's still very satisfying!

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is the best guide for all the side missions, friendships, dating, etc.? Anyone have a good one?

stn

Oct 28, 2017
This was solid as heck but I'm glad they're changing the formula with Y7. Also, for once I'd like to play as a real villain protagonist.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Beat it today after picking it up at launch and getting side tracked with other stuff. Thoroughly enjoyed my time with it despite the bullshit mechanics such as tailing and mortal wounds.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I've just reached the point of no return in the story but I'm still missing some friends and therefore I can't do the final 2 side cases.

I have 47/50 friends but can't see the three missing ones anywhere on the map. Normally the new ones are always displayed there, so I'm not sure what I'm missing here... Are some friends locked behind minigames or something ?

I have done all the ??? events that were on the map, basically everything that seems to have some narrative content. I didn't finish Kamurocho of the Dead nor the weird VR game, if this matters.

Any tips appreciated, I'd really like to do all the narrative content in this game. Just about to launch the final mission, but I would have like to finish the side stuff first.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've just reached the point of no return in the story but I'm still missing some friends and therefore I can't do the final 2 side cases.

I have 47/50 friends but can't see the three missing ones anywhere on the map. Normally the new ones are always displayed there, so I'm not sure what I'm missing here... Are some friends locked behind minigames or something ?

I have done all the ??? events that were on the map, basically everything that seems to have some narrative content. I didn't finish Kamurocho of the Dead nor the weird VR game, if this matters.

Any tips appreciated, I'd really like to do all the narrative content in this game. Just about to launch the final mission, but I would have like to finish the side stuff first.

Some are locked behind mini games. Off the top of my head, you have to play mahjong for one.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Some are locked behind mini games. Off the top of my head, you have to play mahjong for one.

Oh boy. I looked at a friends guide and apparently I'm also supposed to play the VR game, poker etc to buy some paintings, as well as finish all of the batting center. Goddamn. And I heard the last sidequest was really good. Guess I'll have to youtube it, it's a shame to end like this after doing almost everything. I love the game but I'm not going through all that stuff.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
Picked this up after a long time and I had to say I almost got a bit emotional during the final detention center visit in Chapter 9. The performances and music were great, as well as the potential catharsis to come.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up after a long time and I had to say I almost got a bit emotional during the final detention center visit in Chapter 9. The performances and music were great, as well as the potential catharsis to come.
Wait, your on chapter 9? Get back to it! Chapter 10+ are where the story goes incredibly good, some of the best Yakauzering to be had!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I can see some frustration in a couple of early boss fights, especially with the whole fatal wound thing, but I loved the bosses myself especially as you get the Tiger Drop so early on to continue making things fun for me. Honestly, my main issue with some fights is that Kaito is just too damn useful, he'd probably win the fights for you if you let him! As mentioned above though, chair based boss fights are amazing in this game, easily one of the best moments/QTEs in the entire series no doubt.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Questions:
  • Is there a way to eat stuff even when your health is full, just like you could in Yakuza?
  • I'm having difficulty figuring out the UI in regard to shop sidequests. What's the difference between a yellow and green icon over a shopkeeper? Also, what's the difference between a transparent and non-transparent shop icon on the map?

Thanks

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Questions:
  • Is there a way to eat stuff even when your health is full, just like you could in Yakuza?
  • I'm having difficulty figuring out the UI in regard to shop sidequests. What's the difference between a yellow and green icon over a shopkeeper? Also, what's the difference between a transparent and non-transparent shop icon on the map?

Thanks

there's a skill called Bottomless Stomach you get from a friendship mission. It's the Chinese immigrant who is eager to learn Japanese. Works at one of the restaurants near theater square.

It's really curious to me that this game has probably the best combat system of the series and the combat feels simultaneously out of place. It pulls me out of the experience even more than other Yakuza games when I'm supposed to be a lowkey detective but I'm obliterating hundreds of goons in the streets.

I wish the combat was reserved strictly for scripted encounters.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, just giving combat in scripted encounters would make the game worse for me. All those silly little heat moves that only work in certain parts of the map - some of which you'd either only be able to do once, or not at all if it were for scripted encounters only. Thankfully they didn't do the combat like that...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Private Eye, not detective... and if you've ever played Yakuza 4 its really not hard to believe. Its also a game, and one that has a very dramatic soap opera vibe to it. If that's somehow hard to believe the real twists in the game are gonna melt your eyes...

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Private Eye, not detective... and if you've ever played Yakuza 4 its really not hard to believe. Its also a game, and one that has a very dramatic soap opera vibe to it. If that's somehow hard to believe the real twists in the game are gonna melt your eyes...

There's no difference between a PI and a detective and the name of his company is Yagami Detective Agency.

There was a point in the game yesterday where I spent almost 8 minutes getting from one corner of a block to another because of how much combat the game threw at me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
And? You complain the detective is fighting yet I point out you do that all the time as Tanimura in Yakuza 4. So same thing indeed. Its a Yakuza game with a different title, shockingly it has lots of combat. That you can run from. So do so if it annoys you so damn much.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
And? You complain the detective is fighting yet I point out you do that all the time as Tanimura in Yakuza 4. So same thing indeed. Its a Yakuza game with a different title, shockingly it has lots of combat. That you can run from. So do so if it annoys you so damn much.

I haven't played Yakuza 4 so I have no reference point. My point is that it makes more sense that a notorious criminal would have a much higher chance of being assaulted on the streets than a lawyer turned detective. Compounding that is that anecdotally, I am exposed to much more combat in this game than in any of the Yakuza releases I've played (0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 6).

Running away from the combat doesn't fix the issue that having so many encounters takes me out of the experience that this game is trying to sell. It's so hard to just walk around and take everything in in the context of who Yagami is when the game throws dozens of contrived combat encounters at you, especially when the Kenshin gang pops up.

Combat has always been the least interesting part of these games, even when Judgment probably has the best iteration of a combat system.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Finally completed it, good story but the combat sucks and hurt the game badly towards the end. Mortal wounds is also fucking awful. Thank God they're changing the combat up for Yakuza 7 because I don't think I can stomach another sub-par brawling system.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
About halfway through now but damn, the English voice acting is really good in this. If they can do such a good job on it it makes me wish they had an English track for the other Yakuza games I've played (0 and Kiwami 1&2). I don't have a problem with subtitles, but they did so good with the acting in Judgment it makes me wonder what could have been.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
About halfway through now but damn, the English voice acting is really good in this. If they can do such a good job on it it makes me wish they had an English track for the other Yakuza games I've played (0 and Kiwami 1&2). I don't have a problem with subtitles, but they did so good with the acting in Judgment it makes me wonder what could have been.

Yeah, it's a bit goofy obviously when the games take place in contemporary Japan to hear everyone talk English, but the quality was indeed great and the benefits (not having to intently read every line of subtitles etc.) far outweigh the negatives for me, so I'm definitely hoping they'll do dual VA for all future Yakuza/RGG games.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Something I have to say about Judgment that hasn't been said a lot..
This boxart's hella good!

Judgment

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I am not looking for the full 100% but I'd like to do all of the side missions and friendships.

Question: Do any of these require playing mahjong or shogi? And if so, can they be cheesed with items like in some Yakuza games?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I am not looking for the full 100% but I'd like to do all of the side missions and friendships.

Question: Do any of these require playing mahjong or shogi? And if so, can they be cheesed with items like in some Yakuza games?

Mahjong is required for one of the friendships and while items help a bit, it's difficult to get more items so it requires some amount of actual mahjong knowledge. I forget if shogi is but I think it was puzzle shogi which is easy to use a guide for.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or does this game have crushed blacks? I've been playing it for a while now (I'm on chapter 8), and I really have this early-gen-Xbox-One-games feeling on this game's contrast. I'm playing on the same TV I've been playing on for the past nine years.

Anyone else?

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting around to finishing this and man is it good.

The writers at RGG continue to outdo themselves (as well as Sega's localization team). I thought Yakuza 0 was a new benchmark for characters and story in their games, but Judgment's story may be even better.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I quit after today. I really just couldn't bring myself to finish this. I got about 20 hours in and nothing is really grabbing me. Yagami is a very uninteresting protagonist and the cast in general is very weak. I don't really find myself taking a shine to any of them.

The plot takes too long to get going and doesn't do a very good job of building suspense or intrigue like other titles in the series do. There's way too much combat, probably the most in the series to date (compounded by the gang appearances) and the detective additions are not exactly enjoyable either (how many tailing missions....)

I'm glad they're shaking things up a bit with 7 because the series kind of needs it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on chapter 9, and I think I'm at a point where I can hazard a reasonable guess as to the identity of the Mole. I don't want confirmation or denial, I'm just posting this here for posterity so that I can look back on it later and see how potentially ridiculous or spot-on it was.
It's Sugiura, aka Jester.

First of all, we know the Mole probably isn't some random nobody, or a character from a prior Yakuza game, because the former wouldn't be narratively satisfying, and the latter would make no sense for a game disconnected from past titles (not to mention confuse those who have only played Judgment).

With that out of the way, let's look at who Sugiura is: he's a young, agile, mobile, highly capable burglar and parkour expert who is also good at concealing his identity. Not only that, but he's a capable fighter, to boot. He claims to have been formerly in the employ of Kajihira's construction company (prior to being terminated for treading close to the truth about Kajihira working with Kyorei Clan yakuza behind the scenes), but has never produced proof of this, nor has any other character in the story corroborated it, to my recollection. This leads me to believe that it could potentially be a lie created with the intent to lull Yagami and the others into a false sense of security and make them believe they're on the same side.

In actuality, Sugiura is spying on Yagami on behalf of Shono. The reason he saved Yagami from falling, and from being beaten / killed by Hamura early on in the game, is to create a sense of mutual trust between them, and not make Yagami question welcoming him into their investigation. It's possible that Sugiura is an "ends justify the means" sort of person, much like Shono presumably is, which is why he supports Shono in his endeavor to test AD-9 via unethical means until he can finally perfect it.

Sugiura killed not only Shintani for coming too close to the truth about Shono and AD-9, but also Terasawa (Okubo's girlfriend) for the same reason. Terasawa knew Okubo was innocent, and was instrumental in bringing that court verdict to fruition, but soon after began to conduct her own investigation as to who the real culprit (behind the murder of the Alzheimer's patient at the ADDC) could be. Before she could expose Kido, Shono, or the ADDC in general, she was killed, resulting in another death easily pinned on Okubo.

The main holes in my theory, the way I see it, are as follows:

Sugiura is a pretty young guy, I'm guessing early 20s at the oldest. All of this being true, or close to true, would mean that Sugiura is basically a teenage expert burglar, parkour practitioner, competent fighter, and... assassin. It stretches the believability, and makes one wonder how he could be so adept at everything at such a young age. "I grew up on the streets of Kamurocho had had it rough" is a common throwaway explanation that can only go so far, after all.

The second hole would be, if Sugiura really is working for Shono, why not simply let Yagami die or get injured early in the game? Without Yagami, this whole investigation into the Mole, into Kido, Shono, and the ADDC, just up and disappears, which is beneficial to his goals.

This could all end up being a bunch of silly, baseless conjecture about a character who was actually your ally all along, in which case, sorry Sugiura, you're still a bro... but if not, damn. I don't really know who else the Mole could be.

Oct 27, 2017
I picked this up a couple days ago because Alex over at giant bomb was arguing for it as goty. I'm 20 hours in now and goddamn is this game good.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on chapter 9, and I think I'm at a point where I can hazard a reasonable guess as to the identity of the Mole. I don't want confirmation or denial, I'm just posting this here for posterity so that I can look back on it later and see how potentially ridiculous or spot-on it was.
It's Sugiura, aka Jester.

First of all, we know the Mole probably isn't some random nobody, or a character from a prior Yakuza game, because the former wouldn't be narratively satisfying, and the latter would make no sense for a game disconnected from past titles (not to mention confuse those who have only played Judgment).

With that out of the way, let's look at who Sugiura is: he's a young, agile, mobile, highly capable burglar and parkour expert who is also good at concealing his identity. Not only that, but he's a capable fighter, to boot. He claims to have been formerly in the employ of Kajihira's construction company (prior to being terminated for treading close to the truth about Kajihira working with Kyorei Clan yakuza behind the scenes), but has never produced proof of this, nor has any other character in the story corroborated it, to my recollection. This leads me to believe that it could potentially be a lie created with the intent to lull Yagami and the others into a false sense of security and make them believe they're on the same side.

In actuality, Sugiura is spying on Yagami on behalf of Shono. The reason he saved Yagami from falling, and from being beaten / killed by Hamura early on in the game, is to create a sense of mutual trust between them, and not make Yagami question welcoming him into their investigation. It's possible that Sugiura is an "ends justify the means" sort of person, much like Shono presumably is, which is why he supports Shono in his endeavor to test AD-9 via unethical means until he can finally perfect it.

Sugiura killed not only Shintani for coming too close to the truth about Shono and AD-9, but also Terasawa (Okubo's girlfriend) for the same reason. Terasawa knew Okubo was innocent, and was instrumental in bringing that court verdict to fruition, but soon after began to conduct her own investigation as to who the real culprit (behind the murder of the Alzheimer's patient at the ADDC) could be. Before she could expose Kido, Shono, or the ADDC in general, she was killed, resulting in another death easily pinned on Okubo.

The main holes in my theory, the way I see it, are as follows:

Sugiura is a pretty young guy, I'm guessing early 20s at the oldest. All of this being true, or close to true, would mean that Sugiura is basically a teenage expert burglar, parkour practitioner, competent fighter, and... assassin. It stretches the believability, and makes one wonder how he could be so adept at everything at such a young age. "I grew up on the streets of Kamurocho had had it rough" is a common throwaway explanation that can only go so far, after all.

The second hole would be, if Sugiura really is working for Shono, why not simply let Yagami die or get injured early in the game? Without Yagami, this whole investigation into the Mole, into Kido, Shono, and the ADDC, just up and disappears, which is beneficial to his goals.

This could all end up being a bunch of silly, baseless conjecture about a character who was actually your ally all along, in which case, sorry Sugiura, you're still a bro... but if not, damn. I don't really know who else the Mole could be.
Well, I ended up finishing the game yesterday, and it looks like I couldn't have been more wrong, lol. The only part I got right was
Sugiura never having been an employee of Kajihira Group
Honestly, Judgment had what I felt was one of the best narratives across the whole series. Easily of comparable quality to 0, and it helps immensely that both games have a very strong cast of characters. Probably going to make an LTTP thread and do a writeup, since there's a lot to say about the game.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked this up, in around chapter 4. Honestly how do you deal with people once they start glowing? I can't CC them anymore most of the time, and I can barely get a combo in before they punch me out of it, and combo me themselves, with moves I mostly can't block. So what do other than try my best to dodge and slap them every so often.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Just picked this up, in around chapter 4. Honestly how do you deal with people once they start glowing? I can't CC them anymore most of the time, and I can barely get a combo in before they punch me out of it, and combo me themselves, with moves I mostly can't block. So what do other than try my best to dodge and slap them every so often.

Have heat meter saved up. Just run away when they engage their mega ultimate attack

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting back into this. Started chapter 2 - when do substories start popping up? Is there a way to track them like in the mainline games?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting back into this. Started chapter 2 - when do substories start popping up? Is there a way to track them like in the mainline games?

The side cases start in Chapter 2. The first one is story related. And as far as I remember the side cases will automatically popup on your map. So, you don't need a Trouble Finder like in Yakuza.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone completed Puyo Puyo for the completion? It's a nightmare for me. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to shareplay with me for this part

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
So after 50 hours, all side case complete, all friend, secret boss done, around 85% done.... I finally complete it on hard. This was by far the most amazing storyline i've experience since a really long time !! Does anyone know if the writer of these game did Ace Atorney (i know one is capcom and this one is sega but still). I'm asking that because the way it was writing and everything I had the feeling to play a freaking playing Ace attorney game, and it was awesome. Also god that game was challenging compare to most Yakuza game, it hit the level of Yakuza 3 i was super happy about that. Some of the later stage and bosses were pretty challenging, i had to use a lot of item. I'm super happy they also balance everything out compare to Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6 for healing item. You can have a lot of them, but they don't heal that much pretty much balance thing. But got one shot a couple of time i don't know how legend will play if i try it.

Let's talk the elephant in the room, tailoring was boring as hell and way to frequent, never bring that back in that format in any yakuza game.

Amazing game, should have been the game of year 2019 in every list, to bad it will keep is niche.