arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm I just got a package in my mailbox but it didn't actually say what it was? I'm guessing it's because of the new patch? Anybody knows what's in it?
Where do you redeem the gifts you get in your mailbox
578.jpg
1256.jpg

EDIT: Also, I don't know for sure, but I believe the items are just auto-redeemed and show up in your inventory.

DoublePlusRad

Jan 29, 2018
I beat this yesterday at 42 hours played. I did almost all the side cases / friends (46/50), but was frustrated that I can't do the rest of the side cases without like doing all the batting cage stuff etc., so I can get the last 4 friends / rep I need. I wish there was at a minimum some direction on how to unlock them without consulting a FAQ.

Overall I really liked the game, but I thought it dragged a bit at the end.

Mortal wounds are a crappy mechanic all the way through, and I thought it was weird how few SP you get for things on the main campaign. I finished without ever getting enough for the last health upgrade, or a lot of the EX combat skills.

Oct 27, 2017
Man Nanami's girlfriend missions made me feel bad.

At that point I had two girlfriends as I thought you would get more story afterwards which turned out to be wrong. When she confessed I couldn't accept it because she was hurt enough from cheating so I didn't want that to repeat. I wish they let you break up with your past girlfriends.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
No, did you get the second baseball one the pawn shop one, both of the ones in Shellac?
Ebisu Pawn doesn't show up til you have one of the paintings he needs, that might be what you're missing.
I've got the two from the batting center (doing all challenges and buying the stuff). Also did the one in the pawnshop with the paintings and the one in the shellac bar (if you mean the author). But now that I know that there aren't any missables, I may just use a guide and try to find the one I'm missing. Thank you.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sucks so many folks are not gonna try stuff and miss side case 49. It's reallt funny and heartfelt way to wrap a few sub stories that span the game.
Yeah I just finished this a moment ago. I gotta agree and reiterate that it's very much worth it to get the last few friends if you're sitting around 45. It doesn't take very long at all since you can just buy the chips if you don't want to do the gambling minigames, use the cheat item to get the only mahjong win you need and look at a batting cage guide to easily skip any challenge.

The payoff is pretty awesome.

I've got the two from the batting center (doing all challenges and buying the stuff). Also did the one in the pawnshop with the paintings and the one in the shellac bar (if you mean the author). But now that I know that there aren't any missables, I may just use a guide and try to find the one I'm missing. Thank you.
You've got to do a side quest for another one to appear at the Shellac.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
You've got to do a side quest for another one to appear at the Shellac.
I found the one. You need to be chased by the police once and escape to unlock one of the friends. Didn't happen so far, so he didn't appear on the map. Now the only one missing is the woman from the Majong. Thanks again for the help.

One last question: Is there anything special I need to do to start a Ng+ with all the progress I made?

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I found the one. You need to be chased by the police once and escape to unlock one of the friends. Didn't happen so far, so he didn't appear on the map. Now the only one missing is the woman from the Majong. Thanks again for the help.

One last question: Is there anything special I need to do to start a Ng+ with all the progress I made?
Nope, just start Premium Adventure (NG+) from the menu. IIRC, the side cases will all reset though due to the mandatory story side cases. But money, upgrades, SP, and items carry over.

If you plan to do a Legendary difficulty run, do everything in the post-game as all progress will reset to 0. You cannot do a NG+ Legendary difficulty run sadly.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC

Nope when you beat the main story it'll explain starting NG+ or premium adventure mode

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Just finished the game and I absolutely loved it.
The entire finale was pure hype. The final fight with Kuroiwa is just great and slapping him around with Tiger Drop is beyond satisfying.

I NEED a sequel with this cast, it's just solid all around. Kaito (who better be playable in said sequel) is obviously the standout besides Yagami, but I was caught off guard by how much I ended up liking Higashi by the end. Dude's a real champ, I wasn't expecting him stick with Yagami's crew to the very end, but it worked so well, he's a great character.

My only real complaint is that Kuroiwa, as effective as he was at being menacing, wasn't fleshed out at all. We didn't get a backstory on him or anything, nor any motivation beyond wanting power because reasons. He was a really good villain, but I really wish that they did more with him.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to purchase the mahjong cheat item and am being told I can't due to inventory limitations. Anyone know how to deal with this?

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I'm skipping the usual stuff that doesn't interest me, like gambling, or spending too much time in the arcade (usually play this stuff post game, especially if its 2-player)

Yet I've only just reached chapter 9 and am nearing 50 hours. Loving it. Even the sometimes-too-long tailing missions can be kind of fun if you try to push the limits of how ridiculous you can be and still not get caught.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I got a heat move I've never seen before last night, during my legend play through.

I was fighting a dude on West Schichufuku street near the Poppo but in the street/intersection. When I hit the heat move, my opponent kicked a car driving nearby. The car stops, window comes down and he gets pulled into a car by two Yakuza looking dudes who drive off with him. I've never laughed so damn hard

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone found a decent guide for optimal drone configurations for the Grand Prixs? I was going to just try and complete the story this weekend, but now that I've only got 2 of the Free Play passes left to get I might try to finish all the side cases and get a few more skills too, and I doubt I'll be able to reach the SP total for the max attack skill without also grinding the VR mini game for cash.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Has anyone found a decent guide for optimal drone configurations for the Grand Prixs? I was going to just try and complete the story this weekend, but now that I've only got 2 of the Free Play passes left to get I might try to finish all the side cases and get a few more skills too, and I doubt I'll be able to reach the SP total for the max attack skill without also grinding the VR mini game for cash.

Any frame w 300 durability
S3 motor or thunder god motor
S3 propeller
Lightspeed ESC
Best turbo you have

That's what's I did for the drone champions league at least. I always opted for speed over handling

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in early Chapter 11 now. The story is falling into place (though this being a Yakuza spin-off, I fully expect a game-changing, eleventh hour plot twist or seven before I reach the end). And I finally got to beat the shit out of Hamura and make him talk.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Just got the platinum trophy. Great game, great cast. Would love to see more of this spin off in the future. Yagami and Kaito and co are too good to leave behind forever

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
First time playing a Yakuza game.

The style combat in Judgment felt a lot more stiff and janky that I thought.

1. No indicator on which enemy you're lock-on to
  2. Needing to hold lock-on to dodge (wait, this sounds familiar)
  3. Needing to press X to go into running speed is kinda janky
  4. Limited combo options for normal attacks

At first I thought because of the lock-on system the intention was to constantly hold lock during combat but unlocked and just brawling through the area works just fine whether you're in Tiger or Crane.

Now enemies with weapons are kicking my ass OTL

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City

At first I thought because of the lock-on system the intention was to constantly hold lock during combat but unlocked and just brawling through the area works just fine whether you're in Tiger or Crane.

Used to be you couldn't even run all the time :P

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019

Judgement is far from being the best RGG-work in term of fighting system tbh
Big objects (bikes, street signs) are OP
Don't buy the EX move which name I forgot but only activates when you're down (where you kick and punch an enemy while you're getting up), it's powerless and a waste of EX charge

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Done with Amon. Really enjoyed the fight because it's not so much a ridiculously tough super boss that you have to cheese, but rather just a challenging fight with a neat gimmick to it. Also, the music during the battle is rad.

Still only at 68.7% completion but now I've done everything that has a narrative attached to it, so for my purposes I'm done with the game .

Pretty cool game.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So playing the game on a Pro but on a 1080p screen... What is the best setup between on/off for the Downsampling mode and the Boost mode?

Any reasons to not just run with both turned on?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
You know, when I saw Jim Sterling's Judgment video I thought he was just dicking around but now that I'm playing the game holy shit is Yagami the Bumble King!

You're constantly bumping into shit like an asshole lol

Oct 25, 2017
What's there to dump money on to make you stronger? Other games you had gear or vitamin supplements or something. Got like 700k cash in CH 4.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
What's there to dump money on to make you stronger? Other games you had gear or vitamin supplements or something. Got like 700k cash in CH 4.
You eventually encounter a character who gives you access to brewing extracts, which give various temporary bonuses.

Also coming in here to say that I beat the game this morning, and holy shit that final chapter goes places.

lunch

Oct 26, 2017
Also coming in here to say that I beat the game this morning, and holy shit that final chapter goes places.
That's good to hear. I just got to chapter 12, and I'm tired of the number of cutscenes or flashbacks in which characters reiterate what you already know.

This is probably my least favorite game by the studio (although I haven't played Fist of the North Star, which seems to be other people's choice). The story pacing is really uneven, and while the Yakuza games have always had sections drawn out by fetch quests and chains of people who eventually tell you where to go, the amount of "just run around waiting for a phone call" moments and scenes that don't really produce new information (the multiple man tailing mission results in some dialogue that doesn't actually feel like news) works to kill a lot of the momentum. I don't care for the game's villains either, with Hamura in particular is just sort of exhausting, although I think this has been a feature of RGG Studio's games past Yakuza 2 (I couldn't tell you who the villains in Yakuza 3, 4, Dead Souls, or Binary Domain were). I'm ready to never do another Yakuza fight again too, and I'm a little tired of the post-0 games in which everyone constantly Super Saiyans up. If nothing else, it's visually uninteresting.

There are a few things I like: the friend system is a cool addition, and I appreciate that all the side missions are completely transparent in their locations and what triggers them (in Yakuza 6, I missed the conversations in the bar, the baseball simulator, and the fishing minigame all because I didn't look at an object on the dock), but overall, this actually feels like something of a step back from Yakuza 6, even if Kamurocho looks better.

I don't think these narrative issues are dealbreakers, nor are they even things that most people are going to have an issue with, but coming right off of Yakuza 6, and a decade of these games in general, this feels less like the refresh I wanted and more like a Yakuza game with less charismatic characters, worse pacing, and more tedious systems.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Er I mean to lower the drunkness. Working on madoka friendship
you need the skills that raises your alcohol tolerance for her, but i think you only need to get drunk with her 2 or 3 times, the quickest way to burn it off is with the Drunken Master skill, if you are over 6 drunk you get a heat move that does a buttload of damage to up to three guys

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I maxed out my drinking meter and heat gained from being drunk, thats a really good combo for fighting in general

one combo and your heat jumps like crazy, you can bust out heat moves all day

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's good to hear. I just got to chapter 12, and I'm tired of the number of cutscenes or flashbacks in which characters reiterate what you already know.

This is probably my least favorite game by the studio (although I haven't played Fist of the North Star, which seems to be other people's choice). The story pacing is really uneven, and while the Yakuza games have always had sections drawn out by fetch quests and chains of people who eventually tell you where to go, the amount of "just run around waiting for a phone call" moments and scenes that don't really produce new information (the multiple man tailing mission results in some dialogue that doesn't actually feel like news) works to kill a lot of the momentum. I don't care for the game's villains either, with Hamura in particular is just sort of exhausting, although I think this has been a feature of RGG Studio's games past Yakuza 2 (I couldn't tell you who the villains in Yakuza 3, 4, Dead Souls, or Binary Domain were). I'm ready to never do another Yakuza fight again too, and I'm a little tired of the post-0 games in which everyone constantly Super Saiyans up. If nothing else, it's visually uninteresting.

There are a few things I like: the friend system is a cool addition, and I appreciate that all the side missions are completely transparent in their locations and what triggers them (in Yakuza 6, I missed the conversations in the bar, the baseball simulator, and the fishing minigame all because I didn't look at an object on the dock), but overall, this actually feels like something of a step back from Yakuza 6, even if Kamurocho looks better.

I don't think these narrative issues are dealbreakers, nor are they even things that most people are going to have an issue with, but coming right off of Yakuza 6, and a decade of these games in general, this feels less like the refresh I wanted and more like a Yakuza game with less charismatic characters, worse pacing, and more tedious systems.
Well, the refresh of Yakuza won't come until the next game when Ichiban becomes the lead. This was always just an experimental spin-off that puts you in the shoes of a detective, and so your viewpoint of Kamurocho and the way you go about your business is naturally different. It's not my favorite RGG Studio game, but I wouldn't peg it as my least favorite, either.

lunch

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the refresh of Yakuza won't come until the next game when Ichiban becomes the lead. This was always just an experimental spin-off that puts you in the shoes of a detective, and so your viewpoint of Kamurocho and the way you go about your business is naturally different. It's not my favorite RGG Studio game, but I wouldn't peg it as my least favorite, either.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Refresh probably wasn't a great word; break, maybe.