Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I was wondering the same thing a few days ago, why nobody (other than maybe Tecmo Koei with Ni-oh) followed the success of From Software in the console space.

Japanese developers for the most part seem very afraid to change and will keep working on the same franchise for decades even if it was never a true hit, for whatever reason.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
MwoOuES.gif

Death Note: Almost everything with Misa in it.

If you actually dont know of anime that has 0% pandering ill just mention some here off the top of my head Mushishi, Monster, Barakamon, Ping Pong the Animation, Psycho-Pass, Parasyte, etc. Thats not mentioning all the good movies that dont have that stuff (Ghibli), you cant judge Hollywood by the Transformers movies.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
If you actually dont know of anime that has 0% pandering ill just mention some here off the top of my head Mushishi, Monster, Barakamon, Ping Pong the Animation, Psycho-Pass, Parasyte, etc. Thats not mentioning all the good movies that dont have that stuff (Ghibli), you cant judge Hollywood by the Transformers movies.
I know a ton of anime with zero pandering, it's just amusing which examples that poster used. Promised Neverland was the only one I could find nothing.

The original manga version of FMA has almost none though.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused on what the OP is asking for here. Do you want Japanese devs to chase after the successes of other devs rather than finding successes doing their own thing?
So the OP brings up Persona. While it's a pretty successful JRPG series, it isn't nearly as "successful" or as wide-appealing as certain games made by other Japanese developers (which I don't think I fully agree with, but regardless). Instead of developers cloning those wider-appealing games, their cloning more niche games, and I think the OP is confused - if you're going to clone a game, why are you cloning the one which is less successful?

Which I would argue is because there is less risk involved in catering to a niche that is more likely to purchase your product than catering to a mainstream audience that may or may not be willing to purchase a "clone".

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as someone who gave up on P5 pretty early what is problematic about what I'm looking at? Is there an implied romance?
I haven't played P5 since the English release so I don't remember much. Looking at the wiki
In a New Game+ where the twins have been defeated, she freely admits to having fallen in love with the protagonist for having been kind to her halves when both felt incomplete and lost

Also the dialog in my post you quoted, is photoshopped it.

It still boggles my mind that it took japanese dev's foreeeevvvverrr to take advantage of the retro revival. Western devs doing their best to emulate japanese games from the 90s and japanese devs are like 'damn, do we still know how to make 2D games?'
It forever for Square Enix to bring over the first Bravely Default and the sales ended up shocking them.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
What's that "appealing to a wider audience" supposed to mean? Japanese adults don't play on consoles, with very few exceptions. The Japanese market is generating more cash than ever, just not on console.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

I feel like you're not quite getting it? People generally don't associate Cowboy Bebop with that gross fetish stuff and juvenile pandering which is what people are referring to when they describe something as "anime". Cherry picking a 1 second boob jiggle doesn't really prove the point otherwise.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you're not quite getting it? People generally don't associate Cowboy Bebop with that gross fetish stuff and juvenile pandering which is what people are referring to when they describe something as "anime". Cherry picking a 1 second boob jiggle doesn't really prove the point otherwise.
Huh when did I associate cowboy bebop and cherry pick with that stuff?

You mention there are no loli in persona 5. And I was saying there are loli in persona 5.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Huh when did I associate cowboy bebop and cherry pick with that stuff?

You mention there are no loli in persona 5. And I was saying there are loli in persona 5.
First of all I apologize, I quoted the wrong person. I didn't mean to quote your post

Second of all, like I said before Lavenza nor are the twins sexualized. They aren't loli's. You can't just throw every single child character under the branch of lolicon and shotacon like that unless you are particularly skeeved.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
I just assume it comes down to the notion that you have to satisfy your customers to get guaranteed sales, and pandering to otakus is the safest way to ensure yourself an audience.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine spending 300 hours on any game, much less one where the main character yells "WE'LL BEAT THEM, WITH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" completely unironically before about 30% of all the battles you get into.

Heh, there are tons of RPGs out there where characters are throwing out some silly lines that don't make a bit of sense in the context of what's going on. If that bothered me, I wouldn't be able to play RPGs at all. Just ignore and move on to the thing that matters...the fight.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
As other people have mentioned, Persona is the most otaku ass otaku JRPG around and plenty of games have tried to copy that otaku-ass-otakuness from Persona and found their own small success from sticking to their anime roots like the Tales of series, Xenoblade series, even the Trails series. More to be found if we look into other genres like fighting games.... Even a franchise like Senran Kagura can be a success. Freaking Hyperdimension Neptunia is a success somehow.

Clearly the otakuism isn't the problem.

And Dragon Quest is the godfather of JRPGs, that's a whole other ball game.

Now that you mention that, Fire Emblem found more success too when it doubled down on that. They clearly take advantage of success in some areas, just not the ones we may like more sometimes.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Please Monolith Soft, stop pandering and make a good xenoblade game again..

Yes!

Xenoblade 2 was so disappointing and the pandering to 13year old boys (or man childs that never spoke to a real woman before) was extremely dumb. Xenoblade 1 and X were great RPGs but X2 was just melon boobs with simple cliche characters and stripper outfits and a simple childs friendly story that clashed with the pandering in a weird way.

After X2 I am only mildly interested in Monolith next game.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Counterpoint:
The last time a major Japanese developer chased some good ol market trends, the result was Pokemon Gen 7, and I'm not yet sure if the end result was positive or negative to the franchise on a whole. And yes, Gen 7 did borrow heavily from Yokai Watch, there are clear parallels between Rotom and Whisper, Soultimate Moves and Z-Moves, the Anime's Slice of Life/Shonen back and forth, etc. So yeahz sometimes be careful of what you wish for, you might just get it.

Deleted member 4886

Oct 25, 2017
These takes tho. Xenoblade 1 and X both had "pandering" that you peeps seem to damn Xenoblade 2 for, mostly any anime related or inspired game will have some sort of sex appeal. To get rid of that entirely you'll get games that look like the soul have been taken out of them like the Last Remnant, and we seen how well people liked that game.

Just move on if they aren't for you.

I would like to see Japanese Devs, reuses systems that they invented, instead of flushing everything. Like another FF using an improved gambit system.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Now that you mention that, Fire Emblem found more success too when it doubled down on that. They clearly take advantage of success in some areas, just not the ones we may like more sometimes.

Fire Emblem was another game I thought off after I posted.

In truth I do think there is some merits to 'hiding' the anime influences to appeal to a wider audience that wants 'safe' realism aesthetics. It's why your average gamer don't register that Metal Gear Solid is Anime as fuck.

But at the same time there are plenty of games that succeed and that's because they're first and foremost good games.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Seems like OP should be worded differently and have a better title that reads "why aren't Japanese developers trying to appeal to more audiences by not having otaku bullshit in their games?"