• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is going to be amazing, but I hope both parts get shot at the same time, because there is no way it isn't going to bomb.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone see Brolin delivering this line??!

https://youtu.be/BHsSgxpX8rY

To be fair, the line in the book was delivered in a very different context.

Brolin probably wouldn't have been my first choice, but he's got the range.

Now we also need Yueh and Thufir, and Liet. I also want to hear talks of some of the lesser-known characters like Harah, that would tell me they're going all-in with this adaptation.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
best cast of all time?

edit: denis should hire ryan gosling again, i don't care for which role

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Now also give us a tie-in game!

27384-dune-2000-windows-front-cover.jpg

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I hope they don't cut Kynes, man. Every casting call with an A-lister playing someone else gets me worried.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I wonder what the budget is going to be for this thing? Hopefully with WB more involved with this film than they were with BR2049 their marketing machine can help it out. I can easily see this flopping like BR.
Has 2049 been a flop when taking into account worldwide receipts and movie sales since it's been out to rent and buy?

Anyways surely with a cast this good it will be easy to build some hype. Even if it's a weird sci-fi film I imagine Villeneuve will craft something visually splendorous that will get people to go and see this. I cannot imagine it will get a fairly low key release like BR did, plus BR was a sequel to an already fairly niche film, to most people Dune will be a pretty new thing, no prior knowledge or films required.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Given how many books the saga is comprised of, is this movie going to be encompass the base trilogy (like the 1984 rendition) with a singular entry?

Feb 16, 2018
Just started the audiobook for book 1, early on still but while there is a lot of confusing scifi babble going on I'm enjoying it and it seems to be developing an interesting world with quite a bit of lore. Excited to see how the movie ends up and yeah that cast is looking good.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Call in Benicio for Kynes and we're good to go.

Nah, I don't think that is a necessary element of the character. Considering how dense the story is going to be, I think utilizing someone like Gosling and what he could bring to it with comparatively little screen time, is more worthwhile than getting an age appropriate actor solely for accuracy.

I suppose. I always envisioned Feyd as a rival to Paul, the Harkonnen version of him, even though they had never met. Both were products of the Bene Gesserit breeding program and both families saw their boy marrying the Emperors daughter.

And when
they fight to the death I think having someone that much older would take away from the moment.

Just started the audiobook for book 1, early on still but while there is a lot of confusing scifi babble going on I'm enjoying it and it seems to be developing an interesting world with quite a bit of lore. Excited to see how the movie ends up and yeah that cast is looking good.

Yeah, the physical book has a full glossary with most of the terms so you can reference when you might not know something. Listened to the book for your first time you'll miss out on some of that. This Wiki page looks pretty close to what is in the original book, I don't see really any spoilers.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I always get a little nervous when I see a "dream team" cast like this come together. So many times that has led to some really terrible movies - maybe it's difficult managing that much talent as a director and producer?

However, I have faith in this director. Hasn't failed to entertain me, and even make me think a little, yet.

Last edited:

SimplyJah

Oct 25, 2017
He seems like a perfect Gurney, and this cast is getting beastly. I'm really starting to get hyped.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All the news regarding this movie has been too positive. It's gotten my guard up and now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Like news along the lines of "Written by Alex Kurtzman".

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I wonder what the budget is going to be for this thing? Hopefully with WB more involved with this film than they were with BR2049 their marketing machine can help it out. I can easily see this flopping like BR.
Honestly I care more about a films quality than it's box office. BR2049 flopped, but it was also the best movie of 2017.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

The cast so far:
Timothee Chalamet as Paul
Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica
Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto (in talks)
Zendaya as Chani (in talks)
Stellan Skarsgaard as Baron Harkonnen
Dave Bautista as Rabban
Javier Bardem as Stilgar (in talks)
Charlotte Rampling as Reverend Mother

Are these roles associated with each actor confirmed or assumed? The article mentions three, I see, but you listed quite a few.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Hype intensifies

I trust in Villeneuve. Holy shit this castttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Oct 27, 2017
Has 2049 been a flop when taking into account worldwide receipts and movie sales since it's been out to rent and buy?

Anyways surely with a cast this good it will be easy to build some hype. Even if it's a weird sci-fi film I imagine Villeneuve will craft something visually splendorous that will get people to go and see this. I cannot imagine it will get a fairly low key release like BR did, plus BR was a sequel to an already fairly niche film, to most people Dune will be a pretty new thing, no prior knowledge or films required.
The studio lost money so it absolutely was a flop.

Dune is arguably even more niche than BR. It being a new and unknown property to most of the GA can also be detrimental. It might be tough trying to sell people on the concept of Dune.
Honestly I care more about a films quality than it's box office. BR2049 flopped, but it was also the best movie of 2017.
You should absolutely care about the box office of films you like. If stuff like BR keeps flopping and if Dune flops as well, How many more chances do you think Denis is going to get to make films like this on a big budget? It'll make studios even more hesitant to take chances on these type of projects.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
After BR2049 I'd be shocked if Villeneuve didn't pull Gosling in for this as well, or if Gosling isn't already in talks to join. Hell, bring back everyone from BR2049 (maaaybe skip Jared Leto, unless it's just to die after a few moments).

Well, he could be Duncan and
die
then
reappear forever.

Get Gosling for Duncan Idaho.

I could see this. Young, handsome, not too young.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
To be fair, the line in the book was delivered in a very different context.

Brolin probably wouldn't have been my first choice, but he's got the range.

Now we also need Yueh and Thufir, and Liet. I also want to hear talks of some of the lesser-known characters like Harah, that would tell me they're going all-in with this adaptation.

Sorry, how was the context different? Gurney uses it in exactly the same place and for the same reason - to create Oaul for his flippancy when Gurney demands they start shield practice.

And I can totally hear Brolin delivering it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The studio lost money so it absolutely was a flop.

Dune is arguably even more niche than BR. It being a new and unknown property to most of the GA can also be detrimental. It might be tough trying to sell people on the concept of Dune.
More niche but probably more accessible and marketable to general audiences though.

Every movie that isn't based on a franchise or is an original script is a new and unknown property to the GA; I don't see how that's a problem unique to Dune

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's time for my yearly re-read of Dune. I really gotta stop gifting my copies of the book so I don't have to rebuy it each time.

Oct 27, 2017
More niche but probably more accessible and marketable to general audiences though.

Every movie that isn't based on a franchise or is an original script is a new and unknown property to the GA; I don't see how that's a problem unique to Dune
I'm not saying it's unique to Dune. I'm saying it's a risk just like any other original IP released nowadays. Unless your Cameron or Nolan and we know Denis isn't on that level yet.