• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...-most-profitable-comic-book-movie-of-all-time
Forbes confirmed that as of Friday, November 8, Joker will have grossed more than a $304.2 million in North America, and a staggering $957 million worldwide. Against a $62.5 million budget, that gives the Batman villain's origin story an edge over films like The Mask, Venom, Aquaman, and even the Joker's nemesis Batman. And the film hasn't even finished its theatrical run.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Wait. The Mask made money at the BO? I thought it was considered a BO flop.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joker's trick.
tenor.gif

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
If you look at it in a really specific way then yes.

Shame WB signed away 50% of it though; they should have more confidence in their properties.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
i know endgame probably cost an absolute fortune when every single penny on the balance sheet is accounted for (even if it was 1b, 1.5b, 2b)... it still pulled in 2.8b

that's a lot of green pennies

edit: thread title change since post

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
According the the article it's now the most profitable comic book movie of all time.

Probably so many factors to take into account though, like whether you count marketing budgets or simply the production cost.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
According the the article it's now the most profitable comic book movie of all time.

Probably so many factors to take into account though, like whether you count marketing budgets or simply the production cost.

All the article did is take box office and divide it by budget and call that profit heh

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I said this in another thread, but Mendelson is one of the worst things to ever happen to box office reporting.

People are only sourcing him for clicks and not even double-checking his math.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
It is a massive success, and I'm enjoying every second of it.

And without its gross being bolstered by China I'm sure it is highly, highly profitable. But only the studios themselves know exact figures on any given movie all we can do is guess.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
ROI arguments based on production budget and worldwide gross always struck me as silly, because it favours microbudget films. It also sort of insinuates that, if you released a bunch of Paranormal Activities instead of one Star Wars or Avengers film, you would be maximizing profits. Which isn't true for a host of reasons.

Still Joker is probably going to be in the top 10 superhero films of all time for raw dollar profits. Maybe top 5. So it's a huge success.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
And the creators will never admit that its a huge part of its success.

Happy for it though.