• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
20161104_Helena-Kristiansson_BlizzconSC2_0368.jpg

John "TotalBiscuit" Bain to be inducted into Esports Hall of Fame at ESL One Hamburg 2018 as first non-player
From forming WoW Radio to his numerous YouTube shows and podcasts, TotalBiscuit was widely respected for his vast influences across the gaming community and his prominence also shaped the esports scenes around him. While he was never a player himself, countless events were managed, sponsored, commentated and produced by this true supporter of the sport. Aside from driving people towards esports titles such as StarCraft 2 and Dota 2, he even formed a professional StarCraft 2 team himself - Axiom.

His influence on the esports scene can not be understated as his passion and support helped drive various competitive titles towards the heights they reached today. He left behind a body of work unmatched by any other while still managing to give a voice to indie scenes and breakout players.

His contributions to the industry are immeasurable and as such we are honored to induct him into the Esports Hall of Fame as the first non-player. His legacy will live on.

riNj2ohh.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I approve of this, but I'm not part of this community so I have no say over this.

Then again, as relevant as this person was in the scene, completely ignoring his personal views about issues that directly affected a ton of people in a terribly negative way is... Well, bluntly put, it's disgusting, if you ask me.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
A man who was also widely condemned for his support of gamergate and using his wide influence to spread the hatred causing immeasurable damage to the gaming community. They seem to have forgotten that part.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There is an E-SPORTS hall of fame? who is the regulating organization? and it has some kind of prestige through game devs and competitors, or is just some guys deciding to create one?

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
What? I can't imagine him wanting to be associated with that trash. Can you link me to a source?

He associated with the GamerGate movement in its early stages due to his great passion for consumer advocacy and took longer than most to realize that the movement wasn't what it pretended to be. AFAIK, he later distanced himself from the movement.

There is a lot of ignorance going around when it comes to threads about TB. He's made his fair share of mistakes, but a bunch of people only remember highlights they read on forums years ago and somehow think that people don't change over time. It's really annoying.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Well, every other Hall of Fame has plenty of infamy associated with it, so this fits.

What a shame.

He associated with the GamerGate movement in its early stages due to his great passion for consumer advocacy and took longer than most to realize that the movement wasn't what it pretended to be.
This is an incredibly over-charitable take on what happened.

Bain was many things, but he wasn't stupid. You would have to be a dupe of the highest order not to have seen GG for what it was from the start, and Bain was no dupe.

AFAIK, he later distanced himself from the movement.
He didn't.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
esports and totalbiscuit two awful things in their own right, so a match made in heaven I guess.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
After reading how he supported Gamergate and helped spread the hate, this is a bad, but really bad move.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
He associated with the GamerGate movement in its early stages due to his great passion for consumer advocacy and took longer than most to realize that the movement wasn't what it pretended to be. AFAIK, he later distanced himself from the movement.

There is a lot of ignorance going around when it comes to threads about TB. He's made his fair share of mistakes, but a bunch of people only remember highlights they read on forums years ago and somehow think that people don't change over time. It's really annoying.
He never apologised for Gamergate and was very much part of the movement and set his followers on people. There was no proof of "change

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"he made videos supporting gamergate when he realized he could make money off of it, and then stopped once it no longer became financially viable"

Yall motherfuckers never heard about not talking ill of the dead have you?

Disgusting folks some of you.
none of us did when he first died out of respect, but that was months ago now. you gotta bring it up sooner or later, especially if he's gonna keep getting awards like nothing happened.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland

Did he apologise for endorsing gamergate? Did he unequivocally admit he was wrong to do so?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lets not derail this thread folks. This is a thread to honor John. If you don't care, please refrain from making derogatory comments.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A good opportunity to post this again:

His advices definitely have a part on me taking more care of my health today.

Oct 27, 2017
Yall motherfuckers never heard about not talking ill of the dead have you?

Disgusting folks some of you.

Inducting him to a hall of fame? OK. Speaking about his deeply problematic views? Oh, no, please don't!

Too bad actions and their consequences live on for far longer than people.

Lets no derail this thread folks. This is a thread to honor John. If you don't care, please refrain from making derogatory comments.

"You can only speak well of him or don't speak at all"?

Status
Not open for further replies.