Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
www.hollywoodreporter.com

J.J. Abrams Officially Closes Sizable WarnerMedia Film, TV Partnership

J.J. Abrams and his wife and Bad Robot co-CEO Katie McGrath have inked a new five-year, all-encompassing overall deal with WarnerMedia.

Abrams and his wife and Bad Robot co-CEO, Katie McGrath, have inked a new five-year, all-encompassing overall deal with WarnerMedia. The agreement — which multiple sources say is worth more in the line of $250 million as opposed to the previously reported $500 million estimate — marks the first time that Abrams has had both his film and TV deals under the same roof. The new pact, which runs through 2024 and is described as "exclusive," also for the first time includes video games and digital content. Abrams is expected to create original feature films for WarnerMedia.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Warner Bros to be inundated by franchise reboots littered with mystery boxes.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The only decent recent Star Trek movie was directed by someone other than him, so can't be that bad.
And I really hope the next one is directed by Tarantino.

In fairness, J.J. was never the problem with the first two Star Trek movies; it's that they were written by Orci and Kurtzman. Beyond lucked out when Simon Pegg was given the opportunity to write.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah curious about what it means for Star Trek. They really did screw up that series, after nailing the casting, and doing a lightweight but entertaining mainstream movie with the first one, they really didn't have a clue what to do with the sequels, and squandered a lot of goodwill with the atrocious second one, and the third one was not much better and still very forgettable.

Given the fact that the film and TV rights are back under one roof again, there is a lot of potential for doing interesting stuff between the two of them, but I'm not really sure how they'd go about doing so. I wouldn't want a Discovery theatrical movie just yet, and Picard is already returning as a TV show, and they have a bunch of other TV stuff in the pipeline.

My first choice would be to go the Blumhouse route and do a bunch of smaller budget Star Trek movies (hell I'd get Jordan Peele to do one if he was up for it), and have them lean harder into the sci fi, philosophical nature of the series, rather than worry about being a mainstream blockbuster, but my instincts say that won't happen. Ideally not leaning so hard on nostalgia as other recent trek stuff has (but I know that's asking a lot).

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
In fairness, J.J. was never the problem with the first two Star Trek movies; it's that they were written by Orci and Kurtzman. Beyond lucked out when Simon Pegg was given the opportunity to write.
I have no idea why Paramount keeps giving those clowns a paycheck. Can't they just give the screenplay writer position to some random bum from the streets? It would be an act of charity, and they couldn't possibly do a worse job than Orci and Kurtzman

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why Paramount keeps giving those clowns a paycheck. Can't they just give the screenplay writer position to some random bum from the streets? It would be an act of charity, and they couldn't possibly do a worse job than Orci and Kurtzman

Who do I blame for Beastie Boys being part of Star Trek canon?

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Are we gonna get a JJ Abrams and Geoff John's DC collab?

2008 me would be over the moon, I think them doing a new Superman could totally work.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think they've made a single good screenplay together.

Their filmography consists of: The Island, The Legend of Zorro, Transformers 1 & Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek & Into Darkness, Cowboys and Aliens, and The Amazing Spider-man 2.

Their output is consistently bad.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018

One of the more common criticisms of Abrams is that he's not very good at picking scripts. He was a producer on those movies, he has a long relationship with Kurtzman and Orci (all the way back to Alias), it's not crazy to think he was involved with the decision to use their script.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Well then, get Akiva Goldsman and Ehren Kruger on the project!

Those four are toxic to me. If any of those four are attached to a movie, It's an instant "I'm OUT!!!" from me. I KNEW the Universal Dark Universe was going to be shit because they put Kurtzman as the HEAD of that thing. I don't doubt some might "like" their style. I mean, the Bayformers movies has their fans, and I'm sure someone out there loved Amazing Spider-Man 2, Rings and the Dark Tower movie. Hell, someone probably even liked the Tom Cruise Mummy movie.... but for me, I'm stayin' CLEAR away from anything those chuckleheads churn out.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they've made a single good screenplay together.

Their filmography consists of: The Island, The Legend of Zorro, Transformers 1 & Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek & Into Darkness, Cowboys and Aliens, and The Amazing Spider-man 2.

Their output is consistently bad.
Talk shit about all those other movies all you want but I actually think Cowboys & Aliens was a decent movie and will defend it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Star Trek 2009 had a good script and Into Darkness wasn't perfect but it was pretty good too.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is good for Warner. I think Abrams is unfairly maligned and a pretty decent, kinetic director.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JJ Abrams to direct Green Lantern please.

Now this I'd like to see. Green Lantern is such an easy thing to do that it's crazy they've only tried once and somehow failed miserably at it. You could easily make a trilogy out of it.

1. Hal joins the Green Lanterns, Sinestro betrays them and a lot defect with him to found the Yellow Lanterns because the Guardians are cruel judges that mete out justice harshly and use the Green Lanterns as more of an army than the peace keepers they were meant to be; Sinestro decides using fear to maintain peace instead of force is the way forward;
2. The Red Lanterns appear, seeking revenge for what the Guardians did to their homeworlds, bringing a repurposed army of Manhunters to slaughter all life in their wake, culminating in the Yellow Lanterns joining the Green Lanterns to fight the Red Lanterns and their Manhunters to save the universe;
3. The Guardians command the Green Lanterns to take out the Yellow Lanterns and, in the ensuing battle, the source of the yellow light is destroyed and Parallax is freed from his prison; Parallax then possesses Hal Jordan and enslaves anyone wearing a Yellow Ring, leaving Sinestro to seek out the only thing in the universe that can defeat fear: hope.