• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
As usual, you see the "naw, stronger competition, competition didn't fuck up" posts.

The Series consoles could sell more than the XBO did its first year....and the PS5 could still sell more than the PS4 its first year.

MS, Nintendo doing better this time doesn't have to mean Sony will suffer.

I don't get why some ppl can't understand this.
Haven't you heard? Sony is the luckiest company to ever grace the industry. All their success has been based on their competition somehow failing. They've come out on top 4 out of 5 generations because they were lucky every single time.

It's also impossible for all three companies to do well at the same time. Sony has to find a way to sabotage the success of Nintendo and MS to even stand a chance.

its-not-enough-that-i-should-succeed-others-should-fail-quote-1.jpg

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
A bit surprising considering they have literally no stock In retail at launch this year in germany. Either they are pumping everything into america or online preorders are insanely high

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bit surprising considering they have literally no stock In retail at launch this year in germany. Either they are pumping everything into america or online preorders are insanely high

Likely the latter, considering the year it is. I've gone to the midnight launch for previous consoles but now I have 2 preorders (one for me and one for my brother in law) that are both online, and my Series X preorder is online.

I ain't going near a retail queue during COVID winter.

Aug 13, 2020
I still can't believe that PS5 (or Xbox Series) would sell well at all. Of course there are many people with money around, especially gaming enthusiasts who seldom have jobs who are crucially impacted by this pandemic. But still, we are talking about 500 Dollar machines and no big reasons yet to upgrade. Demon Souls is a Niche game and Miles Morales you get for less on PS4. The other games all still need a proper release date. On the other side, the upgrade to PS5 is, at least for more casual gamer, minimal compared to PS3 to PS4. Sony definitely need more games to attract this kind of gamer, otherwise the 500/70 price tag will be a hard sell.

Obscure

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe that PS5 (or Xbox Series) would sell well at all. Of course there are many people with money around, especially gaming enthusiasts who seldom have jobs who are crucially impacted by this pandemic. But still, we are talking about 500 Dollar machines and no big reasons yet to upgrade. Demon Souls is a Niche game and Miles Morales you get for less on PS4. The other games all still need a proper release date. On the other side, the upgrade to PS5 is, at least for more casual gamer, minimal compared to PS3 to PS4. Sony definitely need more games to attract this kind of gamer, otherwise the 500/70 price tag will be a hard sell.
Niche Souls™️

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean for the console?

The fact they have an SKU for £360 is crazy and even the most expensive one being £450 is really good.

Games are different however but that will change once online stores start dropping prices from RRP as they always do after next gen starts.
UK digital prices are a joke so the digital sku is whatever, the other costs more than the PS3 did. It not like the US where PS5 is significantly cheaper than PS3 was.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
A lot of my friends who did not have a console, wanted one during COVID, but decided to wait it out for the PS5.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of downplaying but I'll just say you will be in for a surprise once sales numbers release.

Also $399 in 2013 is nearly $450 today when you calculate inflation.

$59.99 in 2008 is $72.42 in 2020.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
UK digital prices are a joke so the digital sku is whatever, the other costs more than the PS3 did. It not like the US where PS5 is significantly cheaper than PS3 was.
I understand that some people don't care about reality but the prices they are at are very competitive and are justified by the technology involved.

£360/£450 for a brand new console in 2020 isn't a problem and is good value for money for what it provides.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

Theres also the not so insignificant fact that the UK is in recession and could very well face a full on economic crash come new year, thanks to Covid and a no deal Brexit.

People might barely have money to pay bills and put food on the table, let alone put "just" £360 down on a new console.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
The best selling Souls game, Dark Souls 3, sold 6 million copies on PS4 and 3 on Xbox, it's not a niche game. It probably sold around 12-13 million copies in total when taking PC into account.

Bloodborne probably sold 6 or 7 million copies so Demon's will probably sell a similar amount of copies.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Even the craze for the Wii didn't seem this strong. If they can keep up with demand then they should sell thru every unit they can ship.

(edit: this year and the next)

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I like that you tried to explain ellipsis to an obvious joke but couldn't be bothered to find a better source than a Wikipedia page. Respect.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Believe this the third or fourth time they have reiterated they plan to have their biggest launch ever. They haven't wavered from that goal which leads me to believe they are meeting their production targets.

Should put the rest the idea that there are less PS5s available than PS4s. Maybe people can't get preorders because there is more demand than there was for PS4. I know hard to believe when you come here and read everyday that PS5 is a disaster.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me, the playstation brand is a juggernaut and they've got a ton of momentum going into next gen. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. The switch is on fire, the PS5 looks set to sell a huge amount and xbox looks to be in a better position than last gen.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
It's almost like we're not in the middle of an economically devastating pandemic.
How many times does it need to be pointed out that gaming doesn't get hit by economic recessions in the same way as other markets?
There has not yet been a recession that has led to reduced spending in video games. Covid itself has led to increased spending in video games because white-collar, middle class enthusiasts now have more spending money sitting in their pockets thanks to not being able to book holidays, eat out as often, reduced commutes due to working from home etc etc.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Demon's Souls is not a niche game.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
How many times does it need to be pointed out that gaming doesn't get hit by economic recessions in the same way as other markets?
There has not yet been a recession that has led to reduced spending in video games. Covid itself has led to increased spending in video games because white-collar, middle class enthusiasts now have more spending money sitting in their pockets thanks to not being able to book holidays, eat out as often, reduced commutes due to working from home etc etc.

Yup.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020

i agree on the people who are buying it now - including me, are privileged on the money aspect, but Souls was niche in 2009 and nowadays its very mainstream. it will probably sell 5mi this year alone. and my god, the upgrade isn't minimal at all, almost no load times and a crazy fast console with dropdead gorgeous games will move many, many units with the casual market. it's a waay bigger and noticeable upgrade than the Ps4 was.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

I don't think you're as invincible a warrior as your name implies, because that is definitely not a game one would call "niche".

OP
OP
bbq of doom

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

There's a reason folks are trying to make their own version and why there's a whole subgenre filled with them lol.

And it's not because the original was niche.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
When did they start?

I hope Malaysia starts soon :(
asia.playstation.com

PlayStation®5 | Play Has No Limits | PlayStation

Everything you need to know about the PlayStation®5 console and PlayStation®5 Digital Edition with a new slim PS5 design. The best PS5 games, PS5 accessories, and the DualSense wireless controller.
18 September 2020.
Sony Malaysia probably busy thinking how many companies to partner in order to offset the PS5 price. I am guessing a 6 month Lazada exclusive.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
asia.playstation.com

PlayStation®5 | Play Has No Limits | PlayStation

Everything you need to know about the PlayStation®5 console and PlayStation®5 Digital Edition with a new slim PS5 design. The best PS5 games, PS5 accessories, and the DualSense wireless controller.
18 September 2020.
Sony Malaysia probably busy thinking how many companies to partner in order to offset the PS5 price. I am guessing a 6 month Lazada exclusive.

Wow, that was quick.

Yeah its a mess here, I went to this shop called gamers hideout, and one branch said they've already filled all their "pre-orders" .. went to another branch in another store and they told me they havnt started pre-orders yet at all.

Two different answers from the same shop from two branches... Malaysia boleh i guess. If it wasnt for covid, i'd have tried to get one from singapore lmao.... But even Sony Malaysia or the Sony branches here have no idea when pre-orders will begin.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
1. Are you expecting most people that abandoned MS this gen to simply come back because they "haven't fucked up"?

2. Covid 19 made sure people would spend more time at their homes. That will help. Also year 1 they will always sellout as soon as they have units available. To sell more on year one they only need to make sure they have more units available.
1. No but Im expecting them to sell less because of much stronger competition. Im including Nintendo in this.

Oct 31, 2017
Quoting this again because it can't be said enough.

I'm tired of people in this thread saying COVID will slow down gaming purchases when the opposite is actually happening.

OP
OP
bbq of doom

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting this again because it can't be said enough.

I'm tired of people in this thread saying COVID will slow down gaming purchases when the opposite is actually happening.

Yeah I think we have had a good amount of time with COVID affecting the economy to show that this is simply not the case with gaming (and other similar hobbies/home activities).

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I would guess they will sell as many as they can manufacture for at least the next 6 months

(I guess more of as many as they can get to retailers as I assume logistics is a much bigger bottleneck then manufacturing right now)

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Well, people are home more I guess. So makes sense they'd buy a new console faster provided they have the disposable income.

IIRC PS4 was a bit supply constrained at first too?

julkanvi

Sep 14, 2020
I have a bad feeling about this. I think it will bomb in Japan due to the gianormous size. Also it's more expensive than PS4 at launch.
And the competition is looking really strong with Gamepass and acquisitions.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that was quick.

Yeah its a mess here, I went to this shop called gamers hideout, and one branch said they've already filled all their "pre-orders" .. went to another branch in another store and they told me they havnt started pre-orders yet at all.

Two different answers from the same shop from two branches... Malaysia boleh i guess. If it wasnt for covid, i'd have tried to get one from singapore lmao.... But even Sony Malaysia or the Sony branches here have no idea when pre-orders will begin.
For PS4 launch, Impulse immediately start PS4 import from Singapore after Sony Malaysia price reveal. I think they're waiting for the reveal to decide which one cheaper.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
I have a bad feeling about this. I think it will bomb in Japan due to the gianormous size. Also it's more expensive than PS4 at launch.
And the competition is looking really strong with Gamepass and acquisitions.
Playstation Now has 2.2 million subscribers and a huge library of games
Playstation + has 42 million subscribers and gives you access to 18 of the best rated games at launch
Both are not only cheaper but supposedly going to change for next generation, we don't know how yet
- These subscribers won't go away because of gamepass, they already have great services and I say that as a PC Gamepass subscriber

What sells consoles the most are games, the PS5 and the Series X/S are polar opposites in terms of a first year (and maybe beyond) lineup, I might even say that it's a disaster for the series X since we haven't even seen games running on it and they're riding on old games and BC

Outside of the internet forum bubble, interest and demand for the PS5 is at record highs, I don't expect it to flop in Japan or anywhere at all

Last edited: