• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have my own Sony sources - and I can tell you on point (1) - everyone across US/EU/JP has been sidelined in some shape or form in marketing and freedom to do business deals. That was the intended effect of Sony's globalization effort, basically every region's marketing and functional independence has been greatly reduced in favour of a 'global team' - that is spread across all regions. That's the reason we don't see anymore quirky Japanese ads, but rather they all follow the global 'explorer' template.

The departures of people like John Drake were hinted to be as a result of this globalization impact according to some reporting earlier separate from Bloomberg. It's not just Sony Japan that are feeling that frustration. To my understanding, there has been quite a fair bit of lay-off and job reductions in EU offices as of the past two years, basically cutting off any jobs that are seen to be duplicative across regions. I don't have Japan support sources, but I did hear those cuts were global.

Are there some regions that benefitted more than others as a result of globalization? Sure. This is just my LinkedIn sleuthing, but from what I saw - EU Sony employees were the ones who benefitted most in terms of filling up the global third-party team, the team that John Drake/Gio/etc were on for the US branch. So in regards to one function of Sony's global structure, it was EU team that "won out" - as opposed to the US team. Granted, my understanding is that some region has more representation than others in regards to the global team.

Point 2 doesn't dispute what I said earlier about Japan Studio being sidelined. Like I said - I didn't refute or disagree that is happening. It's just no related to Sony's view on Japanese market. As someone who likes Japan Studio games, I don't like it. But I also see that Sony doesn't care about needing JS to be 'better' in order for them to do well in Japanese market.

I'm not interested in discussion point 3-4. Point 5 is not related to what I'm saying at all. What MS wants to do is what MS wants to do. I'm merely talking about Sony's perspective.
Thanks for this info

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Jup, the rethoric is made and certain people will never waver from this stance.

Care to explain what Sony should do to increase their sales numbers in japan? They could literally buy Capcom tomorrow and they may squeeze out a few 100K more units with that move at most.

A few years back almost everyone understood that japan hugely moved to mobile gaming so why are people now dismissing that aspect? Of course that does not mean that console gaming is dead like we have seen with the PS4.
In the very same interview where the Jim Ryan quote in the OP comes from:
Ryan points out that roughly ten years ago, Japanese developers seemed to be moving towards mobile gaming, but have since come back to consoles and PlayStation in the past 5 years. He explains: "We saw in the second half of the PS4 cycle a greater level of engagement from those Japanese publishers. That continues and strengthens yet again with PS5."

Ryan himself dismisses that lol

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The PS3, the PS4 and Vita had all of that, when is it that the Japanese consumer will actually start to support Sony in the games they make? People REALLY need to stop thinking that the Japanese market started March 3rd, 2017.

PS3 had less then the PS2 and did worse
PS4 had less then the PS3 and did worse
PS5 looks to have less then the PS4 and will do ???

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Is Sony out of the touch with the Japanese market?

No, it's the consumers who are wrong.

Nintendo's successful run at the top of the market has been going a lot longer than the release of the Switch. Even still Sony managed to have the very successful PSP during that timeframe. Why did Japanese consumers support that and not the other consoles?
I am just echoing what was mentioned already here, Sony has tried to appeal with games for the Japanese market and have been ignored, at a certain point, their focus is going to turn to markets where their games, and games of their partners attract more people. Redirecting focus doesn't mean abandoning. I don't see it any different than what Apple is doing in China. Apple shouldn't change their global Iphone strategy just because their sales in China are not up to par. Apple has appealed to the country where its phones were once dominant but at a certain point you exhaust your options and start to focus back on markets you want to keep your sales lead in.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is the only company leveling heavy censorship on Japanese devs, making it hard for them to release games, and in some cases stopping them from releasing them entirely. They actively hate Japan outside of the biggest AAA games.

LOL that's certainly a take. Not sure how a business entity can hate an entire country/market, especially the one they're from, simply because they sensor anime panties on their platform more than other companies but sure, you do you.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
"It's easy, all they need to do is make a half-dozen cultural phenomenon tier titles."
1. That's not what I said
2. Sony has some of the best studios in the industry, so I don't know why you would think them at least attempting to put out big/popular family friendly titles is above them.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
In the very same interview where the Jim Ryan quote in the OP comes from:
Ryan points out that roughly ten years ago, Japanese developers seemed to be moving towards mobile gaming, but have since come back to consoles and PlayStation in the past 5 years. He explains: "We saw in the second half of the PS4 cycle a greater level of engagement from those Japanese publishers. That continues and strengthens yet again with PS5."

Ryan himself dismisses that lol
He is talking about publishers and Im talking about the gaming populace of japan.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is the only company leveling heavy censorship on Japanese devs, making it hard for them to release games, and in some cases stopping them from releasing them entirely. They actively hate Japan outside of the biggest AAA games.

Call me blunt, but I don't feel particularly bad when developers and publishers who make their money off the backs of sexualizing teenagers and underage girls get censored or their games get blocked from release. We don't need Gal Gun games.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since you wanna be snarky here is some info for you. The PS4 sold 9.25m in japan while the last consoles from the competition sold 114K for the Xbox One and 3.3m for the Wii U.

I think you missed the point I was making.
At the moment right now, the OG Switch is selling hundreds of thousands units each week. A system that people buy for its home console capabilities, and to play games that can only be played on TV (like Ring Fit Adventure, which sold millions of units in Japan), or best enjoyed on TV (Mario Party, recently Momotaro Dentetsu, two actual/future million sellers). So clearly, japanese users havent moved on from home consoles. They only moved on from Sony home consoles.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Since you wanna be snarky here is some info for you. The PS4 sold 9.25m in japan while the last consoles from the competition sold 114K for the Xbox One and 3.3m for the Wii U.
Switch is a home console, that you can take on the go. That's the definition that Nintendo gave it and that has sold 16 million and counting. The games and accessories are priced like home consoles. Don't get the whole Switch is a handheld.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You can't ignore that Switch is a home console.

03./04. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure # <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980) - 36.019 / 1.879.811 <80-100%> (+0%)

This is a home console game, it is exclusively playable as a home console game. Only one PS4 game has outsold it(Monster Hunter World) and despite releasing over a year ago RFA outsold ever PS4 and PS5 game last week in Japan. In fact for 2020 there's a good chance that RFA will outsell Final Fantasy 7 Remake(it was at ~500k at end of 2019) and be the best selling home console game of 2020.

Konami just released a game that sold 750k copies in two weeks, with the primary appeal being playable as a home console experience with multiple controllers and one screen.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
At the moment right now, the OG Switch is selling hundreds of thousands units each week. A system that people buy for its home console capabilities, and to play games that can only be played on TV (like Ring Fit Adventure, which sold millions of units in Japan), or best enjoyed on TV (Mario Party, recently Momotaro Dentetsu, two actual/future million sellers). So clearly, japanese users havent moved on from home consoles. They only moved on from Sony home consoles.
No I understood your point quite clearly. You wanna pretend that the switch is selling that well on the strenght of a home console.
This is of course bullshit.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because there's another home console that sells hundreds of thousands units each week.

"Home console". I think you may be misinformed. It's clear Nintendo caters to their home audience more than international audience and the fact that the Switch is a hybrid system appeals to them even more. Sony don't have to do this as they more than make up the numbers worldwide.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is a home console, that you can take on the go. That's the definition that Nintendo gave it and that has sold 16 million and counting. The games and accessories are priced like home consoles. Don't get the whole Switch is a handheld.
There is a handheld only Switch. But generally people dismiss Switch as a handheld to get away from considering it as a peer for console wars reasons

Its definitely a much more direct competitor and peer to the other home consoles than Wii ever was. You have the exact same sku from devs selling best on Switch these days.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Home console". I think you may be misinformed. It's clear Nintendo caters to their home audience more than international audience and the fact that the Switch is a hybrid system appeals to them even more. Sony don't have to do this as they more than make up the numbers worldwide.

Nintendo hardware and software quite clearly have a lot of international appeal though. Their success in Japan has done nothing to diminish their success elsewhere.

There is a handheld only Switch. But generally people dismiss Switch as a handheld to get away from considering it as a peer for console wars reasons

...and it's the lesser selling version in Japan.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo isn't relevant to the conversation, but you don't need M rated games to appeal to adults, who are playing games like Breath of the Wild and Animal Crossing in huge numbers and significantly more than

Sony's games didn't sell as well during this supposedly golden period you're talking about. More people play their games now than ever before; their games are objectively reaching more people and selling tens of millions now. So I'm curious what data you have that they used to make tons of games "that reached far and wide demographics" despite their games doing significantly better worldwide currently than in the PS1/PS2 days when third party games were the ones regularly charting over Sony.
Different people play different games. You're right that you don't need M rated titles to bring in adults, but more hardcore M rated titles can bring in and reach a different audience of adults, just as making more E rated titles can bring in and reach a different audience of kids and adults.

The point I'm making is that Sony doesn't foster that environment anymore, and that has a rippling effect to their 3rd party publishers and developers, because they don't do anything anymore and just let the 3rd parties try and sort it all out in Japan. There are reasons you are seeing on the low to mid-tier end publishers who were loyal to Sony since the Playstation, and had never released a game on a Nintendo system before now go multiplatform this generation and seeing their games growing and equaling their PS4 counterpart. I always go to the Atalier series as an example here. The series has been exclusive to Sony's systems since its inception, it was created on the platform, but now it's multiplatform on Switch, and Nintendo is even giving it advertising time through their Directs. Atalier Ryza 2 was announced through a Japanese Nintendo Direct Mini, not Koei Tecmo's official channels, not any of Sony's either, but Nintendo.

Sony's main demographic of hardcore 15-30 males is a shrinking one in Japan. Heck, Nintendo's even beginning to eat into it.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Call me blunt, but I don't feel particularly bad when developers and publishers who make their money off the backs of sexualizing teenagers and underage girls get censored or their games get blocked from release. We don't need Gal Gun games.

Finally, something I can agree with you on! If some Japanese developers are worried about censorship from Sony then they can keep them. We don't want sexualisation of minors in games. Disgusting.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But not purely the populace of japan.
The best selling japanese games have a worldwide appeal. Thats why Playstation consoles have the best japanese third party support.

The best selling Japanese games outside of Japan are Nintendo games though...

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"It's easy, all they need to do is make a half-dozen cultural phenomenon tier titles."
They don't need to make cultural phenomenon tier titles. Nothing Sony excels in has any type of vibe that those games above have. There is nothing wrong with Sony making games the way that they want; but people need to admit that there are certain types of games that are extremely popular in Japan and Sony has no interest in making tent pool games that factor in those interests. I say tent pool games because Sony definitely puts out games that check some of those boxes, but they also send those games out to die while making a huge deal about their 4th third person open world action adventure game with a mature serious story.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just think the shift is they had at one point there was an effort to make games for Japan and if those games also sold well worldwide, great. Just now seems like the opposite.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
No I understood your point quite clearly. You wanna pretend that the switch is selling that well on the strenght of a home console.
This is of course bullshit.

You're free to check the weekly japanese sales threads to see a split of sales between Lite and the regular, dockable one.

I'm feeling nice today, so i'll tell you the current split: ~22k Switch Lite, ~118K regular Switch.

So, outside of being dockable and with Joy-Cons you can pull off the console, what exactly do you think does make the difference between these sales of the two versions?
I know it doesn't fit your narrative, but it's not the removable Joy-Cons that makes japanese users opt for the more expensive version.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
No I can. The last real nintendo home console bombed so hard they folded that market.
It's track like a home console by NPD, in the UK and even Nintendo says is a home console primarily. The way you see it it's irrelevant. Prices are those of home consoles as well. Hell, the joy cons are more expensive then the Dualsense and the Pro controller is the same price as the dualsense.

Game prices are the same as home consoles, until Sony raised them to $70. 3DS games were priced at $40.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The Lite is the least preferred console. Check the Famitsu numbers.
Nintendo hardware and software quite clearly have a lot of international appeal though. Their success in Japan has done nothing to diminish their success elsewhere.

...and it's the lesser selling version in Japan.
Yep it is obvious to some of us but the people dismissing it as not a home console may not be aware or don't care

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

2/3 games are not gonna change the fact that portability is the massive reason

Million seller have existed targeted to home consoles (wii u for example)

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
The best selling Japanese games outside of Japan are Nintendo games though...
Which also have a have a world wide appeal. Not sure what your argument is unless you just wanted to agree with me.

You're free to check the weekly japanese sales threads to see a split of sales between Lite and the regular, dockable one.

I'm feeling nice today, so i'll tell you the current split: ~22k Switch Lite, ~118K regular Switch.

So, outside of being dockable and with Joy-Cons you can pull off the console, what exactly do you think does make the difference between these sales of the two versions?
I know it doesn't fit your narrative, but it's not the removable Joy-Cons that makes japanese users opt for the more expensive version.
The OG switch is also a portable.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's also worth noting Switch is priced like a home console (both hardware and software), has a wide selection of home console accessories (Pro controller, GCN controller adapter, LAN adapter, Kart wheel, Labo kits, Fit Wheel, Pokéball, etc) and the upfront marketing focused on it as a home console that you can take with you, with an emphasis on home console style games (BOTW, Splatoon 2, Arms, MK8, Pokken, Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey, etc).

The push towards recapturing handheld audiences came later, after 3DS had been more fully retired and Pokémon (Gen 8) and the Lite model were ready for market. Upfront they very much positioned Switch more as a new home console with hybrid capability though.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I can. The last real nintendo home console bombed so hard they folded that market.
Family games are selling better on the Switch as home console titles than they did on the 3DS because a home console provides benefits to families as it lets them play together more easily.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe some people are pushing the narrative that Switch is a "home console" just to push an agenda about Sony home consoles in Japan lol. I think I'll put this, and any future Jim Ryan threads, on ignore.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe some people are pushing the narrative that Switch is a "home console" just to push an agenda about Sony home consoles in Japan lol. I think I'll put this, and any future Jim Ryan threads, on ignore.
It's both. And you can't ignore one side or the other. Nobody's pushing an agenda but those who refuse to acknowledge how games are selling on the platform.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not 2/3 games. If the fact that it was a home console wasn't important at all, the OG Switch wouldn't sell more than five times the amount of Lite consoles each week. There are tons of examples: pretty much every family board game, fitness games, online multiplayer focused games... It manages to sell that well because it is a home console on top of being a portable system.

Sigh okay. How many million sellers did the WiiU have?

The worst selling Nintendo console ever? One or two, iirc. EDIT: actually, four!
The current Nintendo home console? I think it has like twenty or so. Probably more.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The OG switch is also a portable.

Okay? That is your argument? You're aware that i can just answer with "The Lite isn't dockable."? And again point to the massive differences in sales like the one i gave you? And that the regular Switch is more expensive than the Lite?

You know what, forget it. It's clear that there will be goalposts moved and information dismissed just that it fits some narrative, i don't have the patience for this, nor the time.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
it is tracked as so and priced as so. I can see it as a Home console that you can take with you or you can see it as a handheld that we can docked, that's points of views. It is tracked as a home console and called as such by their makers. You not seeing it like that doesn't make it so.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Wild that people managed to derail this with the fucking stupid "Is the Switch a home console or a portable" argument again. It's both, move on it's not that hard to understand.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah the company that gave has FFVIIR, Nioh 2, 13 Sentinels, and P5R as exclusives in 2020 isn't focused on the Japanese market... I seriously don't understand this site at times.

Sony has nothing to do with having these games on the ps5, that's up to the respective developers.
This only continues if Japanese developers feel there's a reason to keep developing for ps5. At the moment,a lot are shifting to the Switch because it's cheaper to develop for, has less hurdles and more reach with a Japanese audience