Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people that would enjoy having his art aren't this wealthy to afford this.

They totally can though, just buy prints?

People should be mad at the society that got us to this kind of point.

It's got nothing to do with society. He doesn't want to do the drawing without being compensated with $X. That's just the deal. If no one pays it, then he won't do any of these and he's got to be okay with that also.

If I was set for life relatively speaking, I would also probably set a pretty high price just because I could otherwise be spending the time working for you (because that's what a commission is) with my family or friends instead.

It's okay if someone views an hour of their time differently than you do, and I don't really see why there's any controversy about that.

Mar 11, 2020
They totally can though, just buy prints?

It's got nothing to do with society. He doesn't want to do the drawing without being compensated with $X. That's just the deal. If no one pays it, then he won't do any of these and he's got to be okay with that also.

If I was set for life relatively speaking, I would also probably set a pretty high price just because I could otherwise be spending the time working for you (because that's what a commission is) with my family or friends instead.

It's okay if someone views an hour of their time differently than you do, and I don't really see why there's any controversy about that.
Yeah they can, i'm just rationalizing some of this blowback i'm seeing. Seems some people really just want their own commissions and are upset at the prices specifically.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have zero issues with this and whoever is outraged by this is 100% in the wrong.

Set your prize and if people pay for it, thats business. Hes one of the all time greats, respect artists, their skills, trajectory and realize what their worth is.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the ai craze.
Sadly I suspect a number complaining are the same cheering for AI art. Artists are free to charge whatever they want for art, its an incredible skill. Cant say Ill pay 20K for one but I dont begrudge a legend like Jim Lee charging that.
There's definitely been a frustrating shift when it comes to art in the last couple of years, even on this site people complaining about having to pay for art (as well as the hilarious "I deserve to be good at art without training" excuse as well), and singing the virtues of AI art...

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Its jim lee. His x-men art is fucking iconic and that is an understatement honestly. He can charge what he wants at this point. Get a print if you want something affordable

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
If I had the money (because I know it would be more than $20k and I would pay it twice over) I would commission him for a X-Men vs. Street Fighter cover.

Can you imagine how it would look? UGH. I need that.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
He wouldn't be charging it if he didn't think there were people willing to pay it.

Oct 29, 2017
If they don't like the price, then they don't need to buy his art.

It's not like he's a drug company price gouging cancer medication or something.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
There's no argument I'd buy that excuses people bitching about this online. Essentially they really want to own something very valuable but not pay what it's worth. Let's be honest, no matter how "pure" your fandom and how you'd only want to own it so you could keep it forever... the first time you end up in any kind of financial trouble something like this would be the FIRST thing you sell.

People aren't entitled to make a profit on an artist's work just because it'd be "nicer" to make it more affordable.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Custom work from a famous artist is going to be expensive and it should. Hell good art from a less well known artist should be higher since it's the same amount of work. Also 20K is for the highest end with a pretty decent range of costs. Not sure why this is causing outrage.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Here's a take i'm not seeing much yet in this thread.

A lot of people that would enjoy having his art aren't this wealthy to afford this. Yeah at this point his art isn't for the general public in this kind of society. When scalpers and people that buy this art to display are that far above us monetarily some people need to just realize they are at the bottom.

I get the complaints but it looks like a lot of the people actually upset at this are just upset at the crazy cost. Yeah if he can get this much for his art that's his prerogative. People should be mad at the society that got us to this kind of point. Majority of fans are just priced out with this cost and it made them mad, i get it.

I know lots of people don't think of comic book artists as, you know, actual artists but I don't see much of a difference between this and, say, art pieces being priced out of "normal" people's budgets. It's not like you can't put up some Jim Lee art in your home if you don't have 20 grand. These are one of a kind pieces, and that has always fetched a high price if there's enough demand, it has nothing to do with "how society has changed."

Mar 11, 2020
I know lots of people don't think of comic book artists as, you know, actual artists but I don't see much of a difference between this and, say, art pieces being priced out of "normal" people's budgets. It's not like you can't put up some Jim Lee art in your home if you don't have 20 grand. These are one of a kind pieces, and that has always fetched a high price if there's enough demand, it has nothing to do with "how society has changed."
Yeah, i totally agree. That's what i was trying to convey. I don't think a lot are seeing it this way. What I was saying is it seems like there's a lot of misplaced anger

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, i totally agree. That's what i was trying to convey. I don't think a lot are seeing it this way. What I was saying is it seems like there's a lot of misplaced anger

Ah, gotcha. Yup, agreed.

I also wonder how many of those complaining would actually keep the art if it were affordable (and they won some kind of lottery to get it) if it were going for, say, 20 grand on ebay.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
People really hate paying for art huh?
This is all this boils down to.

People like art. But they hate artists and they hate the fact that artists can make a living wage off of it. They just want easy access to free and cheap shit. The work just fundamentally isn't valued, even by sectors of society whose entire identity is about media consumption.

Well, tough cookies, Richard. Until we get rid of capitalism you will need to pay for skilled labor.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
Did anyone think that someone like Jim Lee, whose name is pretty much synonimous with comic books, would charge 50 bucks for a comission like he is some random on Twitter?

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone upset about this is nuts. Dude is an all-time great artist. Want to hire him to create an original just for you? Yeah, its going to be expensive.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Do people think they should be able to walk up to Jim Lee of all people and get a cheap drawing? Like, as a favor? Or maybe for exposure?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Folks would faint if they saw some prices in art galleries then. Granted I say that knowing how rife the Art trade is with money laundering but still.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, context is important here. And this happens in the context of a fan convention that already costs a whole lot of money to attend and which is aimed at enthusiast hardcore fans who get to meet their idols. Chargin that amount of money in that context is kind of preposterous, because you aren't there to make as much money as you can and you aren't selling a comic to Marvel, you are there to meet fans and give them an opportunity to interact with you and maybe take something home they couldn't get anywhere else.
I've seen similar commission prices for art at fucking Furry conventions.

Artists should not suddenly devalue their work just because they're in an enthusiast space, because enthusiasts can run all sorts of income brackets. Artists should charge what they're worth. End of. If you are a strapped attendee, then you don't get the right to have access to high-valued labor just because you have a nerdy passion for the subject of that labor. Either save up money or buy what you can afford.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are nigh-infinite artists on Vgen, Twitter or Skeb for basically all price levels for custom artwork. Anyone that's thinking "hey getting custom art would be cool!" but the price that this literal comic-book legend is charging is too much, I highly encourage you to check other options out! I've gotten quite a few of my FFXIV character, because I'm basic as hell and love her so much.

Vgen in particular is a really nice site that governs the transaction between comissioner and artist in a way that protects both sides as a neutral party: https://vgen.co/

I appreciate that the CBR article goes this way as well:
And if that REALLY saddens you, I advise you to go to artist alley at your local con, and see who is a future super star and get in on a commission while they are reasonable. Seriously, there are so many talented artists out there, and they are readily available at shows. You can buy something beautiful and priceless for under $100 at any comic con or indie comics show. Being able to get affordable original art is one of the great things about this industry. GET IN ON THE GROUND FLOOR. Daniel Warren Johnson was just a guy at a con once, and now his art goes for thousands, if you can even FIND any.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Essentially they really want to own something very valuable but not pay what it's worth.
The value isn't even relevant. I have a basic lamp on my desk and if I wanted to sell it for $500, I could. I probably wouldn't find a buyer, but that's the price that I would accept to part with the lamp. It's not "anticonsumer", "disgusting", or whatever other buzzword Youtubers are throwing around.

Essentials should come with price controls of some kind. Non-essentials should not.

Bengraven