Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The only way this is a bad thing is if he spends like an hour scribbling something on a napkin. I assume it's not and he's actually giving you a real peice of art sounds good to me.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
he should do it for the love of the craft. and think of the exposure!

Oct 27, 2017
My wife got a free small sketch from Jim Lee last year at NYCC. If you catch him in the right mood at the right time it happens. He runs twitch streams semi frequently where you can get his art as well.

Secondary market at least for his more recent work isn't as terrible. Getting a commission directly from him has always been crazy expensive. Especially since COVID a lot of artists are changing more and more. I used to buy a decent amount of original art but that's slowed to a crawl. Getting smaller and fewer pieces the last few years.

Good for the artists tho. I have a few friends in the industry and it's rough. Most publishers pay like shit and it's a grind with little to no support network.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
No issue with it

The best thing to come Out of it was the comic industry not only defending this because as they pointed out, by devaluing this a too in the industry it has ripple effects to lower the value of all artists in this industry, but also using it to tell wholesome jim Lee stories

my favorite was the one Gail Told. I'll post the start but will need to click to read the whole story.

View: https://x.com/gailsimone/status/1807351404735967240?s=61&t=TpdmZCHoaXyI2omhxqW9Ow

View: https://x.com/gailsimone/status/1807352336983195935?s=61&t=TpdmZCHoaXyI2omhxqW9Ow

View: https://x.com/gailsimone/status/1807357731768267050?s=61&t=TpdmZCHoaXyI2omhxqW9Ow

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, context is important here. And this happens in the context of a fan convention that already costs a whole lot of money to attend and which is aimed at enthusiast hardcore fans who get to meet their idols. Chargin that amount of money in that context is kind of preposterous, because you aren't there to make as much money as you can and you aren't selling a comic to Marvel, you are there to meet fans and give them an opportunity to interact with you and maybe take something home they couldn't get anywhere else. That's what a contention is supposed to do, imo. Doesn't mean that stuff should be free, just that it should be affordable and realistic for the people attending the convention. Not really the place for something like this imo.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Try getting Steven Spielberg to direct your wedding video and try to get him to do it for a few hundred dollars.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I have no issue with the price here. First, it's Jim Lee. Dude is a legend. This is also nothing compared to stuff you see in Art Basel and other high brow art shows.

Second, this also tells scalpers to get fucked as well. One of the biggest issues with signed items and such is the huge scalper market behind it. Here, Jim gets paid for his work. Yes, I know the man is rich, but a worker is worth his keep. It's still labor. It's a skill and reputation he build over many decades.

So I don't get the uproar myself. It's a non-essential item, by a legendary comic artist. You're not entitled to affordable custom art just for existing.

www.comicsbeat.com

Jim Lee's $20,000 commission price causes uproar

A listing of prices for Jim Lee art commissions ranging from $1000 to $35,000 prompted a lot of discourse on the internet.

Spot on, OP. I hope this gets him more commissions.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
All I can say is, if anyone asked Andy Warhol for a commission and he said "sure, I charge $20,000" no one would bat an eye.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, context is important here. And this happens in the context of a fan convention that already costs a whole lot of money to attend and which is aimed at enthusiast hardcore fans who get to meet their idols. Chargin that amount of money in that context is kind of preposterous, because you aren't there to make as much money as you can and you aren't selling a comic to Marvel, you are there to meet fans and give them an opportunity to interact with you and maybe take something home they couldn't get anywhere else. That's what a contention is supposed to do, imo. Doesn't mean that stuff should be free, just that it should be affordable and realistic for the people attending the convention. Not really the place for something like this imo.

People drop huge amounts of money at comic conventions when purchasing rare comics, memorabilia and so on. Not sure what you're talking about.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Makes sense. But does he do it live at the show? Because then it's kind of pricey. Can't imagine you're getting his absolute best if he's busting it out in an hour or whatever.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I thought the convention was understood. Where would he be doing this otherwise? Maybe I'm in my comics bubble.

Creative work of high caliber is some of the most rarified service you can ask a person to perform for you. Their ability is the result of decades of intense learning and experience.

If I met Alex Ross at a convention the last thing I'd feel entitled to was pestering him to sit down and create a piece for me for a couple hundred bucks.

I can see where you're coming from, but have you considered this line of thinking has also resulted in the entitlement of fans who feel their obsession with creators is some kind of transaction resulting in the fan being owed things.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I see absolutely no problem with this. First of all, as an artist, he has the right to set up the price he wants, it's up to the potential buyer to decide if he wants to buy it or not. Then, it's fucking Jim Lee

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, we're talking original artworks where the customer gets to pick the character etc. i.e. a commission.
An autograph or a photo are things I would expect to be affordable, maybe even a quick doodle if he's in the mood but not the kind of thing he does for a living. That you paid money to attend a convention does not entitle you to have the guests work for free for your benefit.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
he's established his name, others have established his price second-hand on ebay.
i do not see a problem with this, honestly $20k is a fucking steal considering it's a commission from one of the most prolific comic artists of all time.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, don't like it, don't buy it. Dude is gifted, and you're buying a personalized piece of art from him.

....I may or may not have one of his Batman drawings as my phone's wallpaper.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The artists decide the price. If you won't or can't pay for it, someone else will. They shouldn't have to feel bad about that. That's why prints exist. When you hit the level Lee has, that's the privilege that should be taken advantage of. Because it is a rarity in the art world.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
$20k is nothing for a commissioned art piece by a well known artist. 10 years ago I was charging $15k to build stupid corporate websites and I am an absolute nobody doing cookie cutter bull shit.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised he even does commissions. Shit, if I had the money, I'd pay.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jim Lee is legendary, that is a reasonable price imo.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
Aaron Archer, whom I enjoy quite a bit, especially because of his impact/involvement with Transformers, touched on this last night in a stream. He also has an amazing story about Jim Lee too

www.youtube.com

LIVE BOTCON tales and JIM LEE ART

Botcon stories and lets look at some Jim Lee art...Aaron C Archer - a veteran Toy Designer, Podcast Host, independent comic artist, and concept designer. F...

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
It's Jim Lee

Is this people thinking because he's a comic book artist he's not as "worthy" as others? You wouldn't see this outcry for an artist of the same popularity of him in a non-comic field

To be fair, I don't think the people who are upset about this know of, or think much about the rest of the art world.

ash32121

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Jim fucking Lee, if I could pay, I would pay to commission him drawing my OC.

God damn

Also this video is pretty much spot on what I think
www.youtube.com

Why Do People Get Mad When Artists Make Money?

NEW COURSES: http://bradsartschool.comLinks from this video:Jim Lee Commissions: https://albertmoy.com/artistcommission.asp?artistid=380Gail Simone's Jim Lee...

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate that artists are actually paid for their work.
And we are talking about Jim Lee, if anything this price tag is fair.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I'm assuming the uproar is mainly from folks wanting to flip them. Think about it, if you can't afford one at the current price but got one for $150 or $200 but saw they were selling for $20,000... You're gonna sell it. This way Jim Lee is actually paid what his art is worth.

Oct 25, 2017
While I cannot afford that, it seems like a fair price for a piece by a legend like him. Ultimately, artists HAVE to account for the flippers. A few years ago there was a con where Amanda Conner was doing special meet and greets where you got a photo, got to chat with her and Jimmy, got a bunch of stuff signed and got a 8x11 original drawing. My Harley Quinn picture was full color and took up the entire page. The price for the event was like $500 CAD. It was a steal and sure enough I saw a few of those drawings go up on ebay for like 5x the price.

A also liked the approach of Don Rosa, a famous Uncle Scrooge creator. In order to get a sketch he first wanted to have a conversation about Scrooge and his stories to kinda prove I was a fan. On top of that he won't sign or sketch anything unless he adds a "To CorporateClown" or whatever your name is so it's more difficult to flip. He didn't charge anything, though.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
As an artist he's absolutely allowed to charge what he wants for his work and oh by the way he's JIM LEE, a legend.

Let's not criticize artists for their rates.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, this is the type of art that in my eyes deserves a large price tag. Everyone will have their opinion, but seeing what some stuff goes for and its medium, this is a steal.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine commissioning over 20k in comic art. Couldn't be me. I'm responsible.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah Jim Lee is not the guy to be complaining about. His art is popular, he's still got "it" and he seems like one of the nicest guys in the industry.

Oct 29, 2017
You also need to charge high enough so you are not booked all the time. Waiting to have time to work on your own stuff because you have a year long list of people waiting for freelance work is hell.

Bengraven