• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Every Hour is maybe the only song I have zero reservations about, which makes sense because it's the least Kanye thing on this record.

Closed on Sunday invoked dark feelings within my soul that I haven't felt since Chance's Big Day 🤮.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
giphy.gif

The only good ones are Selah, God is, and Use This Gospel

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I might be done with Ye. That run from College Dropout to Yeezus was damn impressive.. but he's lost it.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I listened to it and I think it's as good as College Dropout. I think this is a great move for Kanye and it's probably gonna be a huge breakout success. I wouldn't be surprised if this creates a whole movement from hip hop to gospel. Kanye's done some weird stuff but he finally seems to have his head straight, musically, politically and has surrounded himself with people who have his best interests at heart that will take care of him for who he is.

Really glad for him and excited about the future. I think between this and his interest in politics he's going to do some really amazing things for the black community. And it's also nice to see that the fans who've stood by him and loving this - are the fans who were just the best people in the first place. His singing voice on Closed on Sunday is stunning in its clarity and sweetness too, like a male Mariah tbh. So he's proved once and for all he's not simply stuck in rap and production corners. Dude has pipes.

He's the whole deal. Rapper, producer, singer, leader, inspiration and a moral lighthouse for lost people.
Brilliant. You had me riled up and going there for a split second 😂

And man, this is like a wake for fellow sane Ye stans. I see y'all in here.

We'll always have those GOOD Fridays.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
You don't even like the production??

It's fine. Better on some tracks (For God) than others. I just thinks it's weird to praise production when the underlying songs are predominantly weak (On God, Water, God Is).

Let me put it this way, if you feel the need to call out the production above all else, you might be grasping at straws. Great production should elevate great music, not mask the deficiencies in bad music.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
So many comments to reply to in time but it's no shock that people who ive never seen in anything else Hip Hop related on Era ever are the ones with the takes that are liking this. Also, for the people falling over themselves at the production on this: listen to more music. Honestly, go look up some of the best reviewed albums of the year and listen to them. The year has been full of music that has been crafted in stellar ways

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
When my friends Spotify ended the JIK radio immediately went into Runaway. If that doesn't say it all then idk what does. Just like Ye I will never return to this album again but the rest of his catalogue still holds all time great music. Even TLOP has plenty plenty to go back to, this though... yea one listen was enough, there aren't here hidden layers here like MBDTF or experiment sounds that require re-listens like Yeezus. Shout out to the people who love Kanye that can admit how mid this is

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
album is trash. recycle bin classic.

this man cant write a lyric worth a fuck anymore. his lyrics have always been below average but there used to be a certain charm to them. nowadays its just cringey as fuck. and there aint nothing charming about Kanye in 2019. this man needs some help.

That's the thing, he could get away with his weak lyrics before we knew he shitty-ness had no bounds. Before he was that dude who made amazing beats but was punching above his weight class as an MC. Not anymore.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I listened to it and I think it's as good as College Dropout. I think this is a great move for Kanye and it's probably gonna be a huge breakout success. I wouldn't be surprised if this creates a whole movement from hip hop to gospel. Kanye's done some weird stuff but he finally seems to have his head straight, musically, politically and has surrounded himself with people who have his best interests at heart that will take care of him for who he is.

Really glad for him and excited about the future. I think between this and his interest in politics he's going to do some really amazing things for the black community. And it's also nice to see that the fans who've stood by him and loving this - are the fans who were just the best people in the first place. His singing voice on Closed on Sunday is stunning in its clarity and sweetness too, like a male Mariah tbh. So he's proved once and for all he's not simply stuck in rap and production corners. Dude has pipes.

He's the whole deal. Rapper, producer, singer, leader, inspiration and a moral lighthouse for lost people.

i don't think this is as good of a mental image of Kanye breast-feeding, but it's close

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I really do wish Kanye would put more effort into his lyrics. He strikes me as the kind of lyricist that never goes back and edits his work. Kids See Ghosts, for example, is a phenomenal track until Kanye strolls in with his lazy ego-stroking bullshit.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Yeezus Kanye was Peak Kanye for me. Everything after is just not as good and this is just rock bottom Kanye. Forgettable nothingness.
Kim needs to put that finger in his ass and we may get some good music again
Who wouldn't get depressed living with that insane clan though I mean there must be a reason they all jump ship yet Kanye stays and gets crazier.

What do they put in his chick fil-a?

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Jamelle Bouie says he likes this album if you're still sitting on the fence about cancelling your New York Times subscription

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit Kanye got tall!

That's pretty amazing. I know that she might be wearing heels but so is Kim. Since all women are 5'2" that means Kanye must have grown at least five inches- assuming both women are wearing standard four in heels.

Unless she is wearing Short Round driving boxes which I guess is possible.

AtcHcMa.gif

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every Hour is literally the only song so far that has not dulled with multiple listens. Idk which album is worse between TLOP, Ye, and this. I can't think of another artist that has had such a run of consecutive bad solo ventures as Kanye. Lupe Fiasco maybe.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit Kanye got tall!

That's pretty amazing. I know that she might be wearing heels but so is Kim. Since all women are 5'2" that means Kanye must have grown at least five inches- assuming both women are wearing standard four in heels.

Unless she is wearing Short Round driving boxes which I guess is possible.

AtcHcMa.gif

Isn't Kim quite short?

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I just watched this BigBoyTV interview with Kanye about this album and now I'm just at the point where I can't fucking stand this guy anymore. He's just not for me now.

lmaooooo. I feel like in regards to race he was talking some good shit then next sentence it's like what the hell???

"Everybody think they so woke but they're following rules of what woke is supposed to be" loooooool

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
lord shine your light on me, save me please is a potent ass way to wrap it up.
I think this is what upset me most. There was so much potential for Jesus is King to be an album about his acceptance of faith and his salvation. the production here is good, and I can really feel a great album buried deep down somewhere. It even feels like the album he wanted to make at one point, the way the album opened with Up From the Ashes last month. But Kanye is either unwilling or completely unable to make an album like that, so instead we get an album that is essentially just marketing for his faith. It's depressing.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
I think this is what upset me most. There was so much potential for Jesus is King to be an album about his acceptance of faith and his salvation. the production here is good, and I can really feel a great album buried deep down somewhere. It even feels like the album he wanted to make at one point, the way the album opened with Up From the Ashes last month. But Kanye is either unwilling or completely unable to make an album like that, so instead we get an album that is essentially just marketing for his faith. It's depressing.

exactly

the album doesn't document a journey into being born again or documenting why it's happened beyond vague references to the devil and temptation. it's just HEY I'M BORN AGAIN PRAISE JESUS and not even in a beautiful way

just like ye, it answers ZERO questions and sidesteps any of the meaningful soul searching it thinks it's doing. except there was an excuse for ye because of how it was crafted while the chaos was still at its peak. now that we're pretty far removed from that, there's really no point to any of this if you're not gonna provide any level of deep introspection

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It's good, but again the production is doing most of the work. Some lines are pretty good, but does nothing to document is journey or his thoughts. Its just i love god

although does anyone else just think that 'follow god' sounds like a remixed version of 'yikes' from ye.

its way better then ye

highlights : On God, God Is, Hands On, Use This Gospel,

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
exactly

the album doesn't document a journey into being born again or documenting why it's happened beyond vague references to the devil and temptation. it's just HEY I'M BORN AGAIN PRAISE JESUS and not even in a beautiful way

just like ye, it answers ZERO questions and sidesteps any of the meaningful soul searching it thinks it's doing.
I was at least able to find some value in Ye as a look at his mental state during that period of his life. There is absolutely nothing even remotely interesting about Kanye's lyrics on this album. I dig the passion on God Is and most of what he does is delivered well enough, but it's all so surface level and eye-rollingly vapid that it actively hurts the good music behind it.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London

Love.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Not gonna say that most of the posts im seeing about JIK are " NEW YE AND COD TONIGHT"from college aged white people but yes that's exactly what I'm saying

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
This is his worst album 2 listens in. Ye is underappreciated although not that rewarding to return to.

TLOP on the other hand has been aging like a fine vintage and is easily my fav Kanye album this decade.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
I was at least able to find some value in Ye as a look at his mental state during that period of his life. There is absolutely nothing even remotely interesting about Kanye's lyrics on this album. I dig the passion on God Is and most of what he does is delivered well enough, but it's all so surface level and eye-rollingly vapid that it actively hurts the good music behind it.

yeah i didn't like ye, but i understand why it exists and was a necessary type of album given the context of everything surrounding it

there's no excuse for this to be as surface level as it is

at this point, now that the initial shock value and headline chaos of his transformation into a PragerU preacher is all but gone, there's not really much of a reason to care if the music is so mediocre. i've been heading towards this jaded side of things for awhile, but this is (ironically) the come to Jesus moment for me in that regard: the man who made my favourite album and song of all time, with an all time great discography, and a status as a consistently innovating artist is gone (unless Cudi babysits Kanye through Kids See Ghosts albums).