• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
How did I miss this thread & video series. I grew up a Sega kid, I'll still argue with someone about them (while finally admitting that I love Nintendo too). Thanks for all you do Jeremy. Loading up a YT queue....

Segaiden: Great Soccer | Great Basketball | Fantasy Zone II
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Zip zap crap: Great Soccer - Great Basketball - Fantasy Zone II | Segaiden #051

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJrZ5r2nDYA

Fantasy Zone II arrives as the delicious filling in this week's terrible, terrible sandwich as Sega closes out its 1987 lineup with that ultimate game review cliché: A mixed bag. With the likes of Great Soccer and Great Basketball on hand, this is not so much closing the book on the year as it is driving a nail into its coffin. Once again, it's up to Opa Opa to save the day... with a little help from Team Sega, as it happens.

On to 1988! You know, eventually.

Segaiden: Sukeban Deka II | Mahjong Sengoku Jidai
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Winner takes brawl: Sukeban Deka II & Mahjong Sengoku Jidai | Segaiden #052

www.youtube.com

Winner takes brawl: Sukeban Deka II & Mahjong Sengoku Jidai | Segaiden #052

A slightly spicy episode this week due to some racy historical background behind one of the featured games. In defiance of stereotypes, it's not the game wit...

A slightly spicy episode this week due to some racy historical background behind one of the featured games. In defiance of stereotypes, it's not the game with a bunch of schoolgirls on cover.

This episode also contains a lie: It claims to be the final entry for 1987. This turns out not to be true! During production I realized I'd overlooked a few titles along the way, so next week ties a bow on 1987. Apologies for leading you astray.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend either of these games to friends, but in the tradition of classic Video Game History, both of these games are actually pretty interesting despite not necessarily being something you'd want to play in 2023. Sukeban Deka II combines an obvious knockoff (it really wants to be the Kunio games) with a surprising knockoff (it also wants to be Portopia). And the mahjong game, well, it's mahjong. But it looks really nice! And it's also the one presentable member of a family of smut-mongers.
Video is age restricted, so make of that what you will.

Segaiden: Great Baseball | Satellite 7 | Woody Pop | BMX Trial: Alex Kidd
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Happy trials to you: Great Baseball / Satellite 7 / Woody Pop / Alex Kidd BMX Trial | Segaiden 53

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtDfKkxAIN0

OK, with THIS episode, we bring 1987 to a close. And 1985! It turns out my survey of Mark III games that never reached America overlooked two titles: The underwhelming co-op shooter Satellite 7, and Great Baseball. Yes, I know. I've already covered Great Baseball. But this was a different Great Baseball, because Sega never met a game historian they didn't want to confuse.

Of greater interest this time around, we have 1987's two paddle-enhanced titles: Woody Pop and BMX Trial. Naturally, I also explain what the whole Paddle Controller thing is about (since that also didn't reach the U.S.) in service of discussing these tie-in titles, both of which shipped with the Japan-only analogue joypad as a pack-in.

As for the games? Well, Woody Pop amounts to a clone of Arkanoid so similar to Taito's game that you could practically call it a reskin. And BMX Trial... well, it's much more unique. A top-down bike racer with branching paths, non-linear stage progression, and the ability to paddle your BMX on water?! It's also uneven, though. We still haven't quite reached the era when Sega's home game design ambitions would be matched by the resources and time to really polish up those efforts. But soon....

Metroidvania Works: Rambo | The Magic of Scheherazade
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Backtracking though the jungle: Rambo & The Magic of Scheherazade | Metroidvania Works 15

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1kW1-yY5dA

Metroidvania Returns with a new look and... well, that's it, just a new color scheme for the lower thirds. Everything else about resumes where we left off [checks notes] two years ago?!

Yes, this episode has actually fallen behind the NES Works chronology, sort of. The Famicom release dates for Rambo and The Magic Scheherazade bring us to the end of 1987, right in the thick of the Famicom development communities drive toward metroidvaniation. That impulse manifests in the most unlikely ways—like with Pack-In Video's decision to take a Hollywood action movie and transform it into a story-driven, open world, exploratory action-adventure complete with a simplified experience system and inventory mechanics. Weird, but fascinating nonetheless. Somehow, Rambo for NES/Famicom gives us our first proper attempt to capture the lightning of Zelda II in a bottle... though certainly not the last attempt we'll see here.

And as our action-RPG sidebar, we have Culture Brain's The Magic of Scheherazade, a fascinating hybrid game that combines action and RPG with astounding literalness. I don't know that this one works, either, but as with Rambo, it's damned interesting to witness.

Metroidvania Works: The Battle of Olympus | The Guardian Legend | Exile
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Lost in time and space: The Battle of Olympus / The Guardian Legend / Exile - Metroidvania Works 16

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUs3WDAg4WU

A triple shot of action this week. Wait, "triple shot" suggests more "vania" than is actually present here. The Battle of Olympus draws directly on the action RPG concepts of Zelda II rather than owing anything at all to Metroid or Castlevania; it's not so much "inspired by Zelda II" as "not quite legally actionable Zelda II clone." But one that lends its own ideas to the genre!

The Guardian Legend does owe a bit to Metroid, in that it has shooty sci-fi themes and you play as a cool mechanical warrior that turns out to have a woman inside. Or rather, turns out to be a woman. In motion, though, The Guardian Legend plays like a sci-fi offshoot of the original Zelda spiced up with sequences from Zanac. Weird, but good.

And Exile... well, that one very much nails the "wandering lost through caverns on another planet" element of Metroid. But still no Castlevania. So instead of saying "triple shot," let's go with "hat trick." A laurel wreath counts as a hat, right?

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Metroidvania Works: Blaster Master | Bionic Commando
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
I'M UP, I'M UP!

The kids are all Reich: Blaster Master & Bionic Commando | Metroidvania Works 17

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IprQf5EDS1g

I'm afraid it's true: This episode consists entirely of games that showed up less than a year ago on NES Works. Good thing that, as the kids say, these games slap. Plus, they represent critical improvements on the whole "metroidvania" way of life.

In fact, I would call Blaster Master the purest and most robust attempt to creating a proper metroidvania to have appeared to this point in human history. I would, except that those miserable top-down sequences drag it down and dilute its impact.

Not that this is necessarily a good episode in which to complain about "purity"... not when the second featured title involves putting a stop (again) to the genocidal bigotry of Adolf Hitler and his legion of goose-stepping morons. Still, while the premise of Bionic Commando is an all-timer—you are a lone soldier with a really cool grappling arm who has to blow up a lost Third Reich superweapon, and also Hitler—that alone doesn't afford the game a place in the lineage of the metroidvania. However, the fact that you do it in a fairly open interconnected world that incorporates skill- and tool-based gating along with a rudimentary experience system? That definitely makes this masterpiece a mini-metroidvania forebear.

Metroidvania Works: Clash at Demonhead | X•Z•R
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

The Routes of all evil: Clash at Demonhead and X•Z•R | Metroidvania Works 18

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj0Fm4NMhVg

We take a look at one of the most daring, out-of-left-field NES action-adventure titles of all time this episode with Vic Tokai's Clash at Demonhead. A rambling, raucous, frequently bizarre game that appears to be based on a shounen anime that never actually existed, Demonhead's goofy exterior belies some clever game design and surprisingly well-thought-out mechanics. I suppose it only seems fitting, coming from the same company that gave us Golgo 13; Vic Tokai seemed to specialize in great concepts beneath some decidedly shaky programming and visual design. But even if the visuals seem a little behind the times for 1989, the overall design of the game is decidedly forward-thinking.

Also this episode, a quick look at another daring title in the action-RPG vein: Telenet's X•Z•R, aka Exile. Featuring time-travel and, apparently, a plot that involves assassinating the American president, this Zelda II-inspired hybrid spawned several sequels that eventually saw Western localization. The original here, however, has been lost to time...

Metroidvania Works: Strider | Willow
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Home renovations: Strider & Willow | Metroidvania Works 19

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUPbmrg0MKw

Two Capcom titles this week—one platformer in the platonic form of the metroidvania, the other a pure action RPG. However, both games share one thing in common: Both bring coin-op titles to NES, and both ignore pretty much all of their original arcade counterparts' content in favor of bringing home consumers bigger, chewier, more time-consuming adventures.

The two roads diverge from there, however. Willow takes the path less traveled by being peak NES action RPG—one of the finest on the system—while Strider feels decidedly, well, janky, like so many other ambitious-but-disastrous NES releases. Although you really didn't see a lot of those high-minded hot messes from Capcom back in the day, so maybe THAT is the road less traveled.

Anyway, I think we can agree that Robert Frost would have enjoyed Willow's inventive stroll through the woods far more than Strider Hiryu's awkward bungle through the jungle.

Metroidvania Works: Ys III | River City Ransom
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

The beatdown at Felghana: Ys III & River City Ransom | Metroidvania Works 20

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jibHFuZy6pg

The Ys series continues to trek along in the footsteps of the Zelda games... but does it really? Sure, you could mistake Ys III for another Zelda II clone, but—in typical Falcom style—the game spends a lot more time digging into its own roots than it does aping the latest trends. It's more that Ys III borrows the outward form of Zelda II in order to create a game that feels distinctly Ys-like. This side-scrolling take on Ys has a lot more in common with its predecessors than Zelda II did with the original Zelda.

Also of note this episode, we have an unconventional take on the action RPG in the form of River City Ransom. If I were the type to make screamy rage videos on YouTube, this episode would have a thumbnail featuring my face screwed up in fury and demanding, "They did THIS to the sequel to Renegade?!?!" But gentle viewer, I am not, and they did. River City Ransom feeds the action RPG genre elements of a wildly unrelated format—namely, the brawler. And it works! Even if the difficulty is hilariously lopsided and the game becomes trivial once you boost your stats and skills enough. But hey, that's OK, too.

Metroidvania Works: Wonder Boy III | Neutopia | Golden Axe Warrior
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Creature feature: Wonder Boy III / Neutopia / Golden Axe Warrior | Metroidvania Works 21

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUvqqq5kTUA

As the 8-bit proto-metroidvania heyday comes to a close (along with the 1980s), Sega and Westone deliver a real humdinger of a swan song. Er, lizard song. Wait... mouse song? Piranha song? Lion song!? Anyway, Wonder Boy III is real, real good—arguably the finest distillation of the action-RPG-platformer concept we've seen to date in this series. It does everything, more or less: Strong platform action in an interesting world divided up by creative keys that players need to seek out through skill and observation by controlling a hero whose strength and skills grow and change as they uncover more of the map. Put a little blue-box minimap in there and you've got yourself a metroidvania stew going, baby. Little surprise that the game would hold up to a scrutiny even as an HD remaster with few changes beyond a small touch of fine-tuning.

Less durable (not to mention less inventive) are this episode's Action RPG sidebars: Neutopia for TurboGrafx-16 and Golden Axe Warrior for Master System. Friends, I'm going to be honest, here. These games are just The Legend of Zelda. Like, just straight up duplicates. And they're pretty OK, but it really kind of feels like developers on non-Nintendo consoles decide that the top-down action RPG was about to undergo a boom and literally decided to calibrate their work by revisiting the genre's baseline. Nothing wrong with a good Zelda knockoff, which both of these games certainly are, but this format would get a welcome shot in the arm soon.

Metroidvania Works: A Boy and His Blob | Crystalis
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Mallow marred: A Boy and His Blob & Crystalis | Metroidvania Works 22

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23_FCIq_GAE

The U.S. didn't produce a lot of works in the metroidvania vein prior to the indie game era, and David Crane seems to have been the one American designer who dared fly close to that particular sun. A Boy and His Blob follows on the heels of Pitfall! and Pitfall II, but arrives after half a decade of Japanese designers exploring the exploratory platformer space. Crane ultimately went a different direction with this creation, focusing more on the puzzle-solving aspect than on pure exploration or character-building—a valid approach, but imperfectly realized in this case.

More satisfying is SNK's rare sally into the action-RPG format with Crystalis, a game that moves even further into the RPG side of things than Willow did. Heck, it even introduces Final Fantasy-like elemental affinities into the mix. With its focus on character skill development and elemental weapon upgrades, Crystalis pushes its genre in a more complex direction and introduces ideas that would eventually find their way into exploratory platformers, too.

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFrMx-vSkQA

The Segaiden video series is now a book! Well, at least the SG-1000 portion of Segaiden is, anyway.

SG-1000 Works: Segaiden Vol. I is now available for purchase via Limited Run Games in two formats.

The standard hardcover edition contains 420 8x10" pages of full-color images, screenshots, and greatly expanded and revised text: https://limitedrungames.com/collectio...

The Collector's Edition includes the standard hardcover in a slipcase that also contains a two-sided poster, illustrated cards, and a signed certificate of authenticity. Not that I expect a lot of people to bootleg a book about a game console that never shipped in the U.S. and had only limited success in Europe and Australia. But, hey. Signature: https://limitedrungames.com/collectio...

SG-1000 Works is on sale now for quick shipping. By it. Read it. Be edified by it. And thank you for your support.

You can find all of my books (and more!) in Limited Run Games' Book Collection: https://limitedrungames.com/collectio...

And paperback versions at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks...
We'll be back to your regularly delayed programming very soon...maybe.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the snipe, nerdkiller, but I just saw that this week's was up and it's a special one to me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNrquKsN38A

This week's NES Works is something I've been looking forward to for a while. Though the Retronauts on Wizardry is what got me interested enough in revisiting the NES enough that I bought a Retron and copies of Wizardry and Final Fantasy (so I do have you to thank for it JeremyParish !), it was me picking up Ultima Exodus and seeing how interesting it was to see a much more daunting PC RPG experience recreated on the NES that I started earnestly collecting all of the (western released) NES conversions of PC RPGs, partially with the intent of doing a video retrospective of all those specific games. Once I finished that collection, I had cemented myself as someone interested in collecting NES games in general and started to make that one of my main hobbies on top of playing the games. 150+ games later (and having finally shelled out for a proper toploading NES), I've built up a collection that I never could have dreamed of having as a kid and have now started to do the same with the SNES (and have already almost finished my goal of all PC RPG conversions there, too).

So, yeah, Exodus has a special place in my heart, so I am glad to see NES Works finally get to it because I was really curious to see Jeremy's take on it, and I'm happy to see everything was in the proper context and it is pretty fairly treated despite its many many many warts. It'll be neat to see NES Works eventually get to the conversions of Ultima 4 and 5, because the former really felt like a triumph of a conversion and the later an absolute tragedy.

NES Works Gaiden Epoch: Kikori no Yosaku | Baseball
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
From the Patreon vaults.

Japan's console gaming industry is born: Kikori no Yosaku / Baseball | NES Works Gaiden: Epoch-01

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdUDvoGFp8s

[NOTE: This is the first in a series of monthly bonus episodes on pre-NES Japanese console history, which was first uploaded a year ago for video patrons. To see more bonus episodes WAY in advance of their public release, check out patreon.com/gamespite!]

Pinning down a proper "first" in video game history can be a challenging proposition. The medium didn't evolve in rigid steps with clearly defined milestones; it shifted gradually, in strange and hard-to-classify fits and starts. But I feel confident in dropping a pin here, with the Epoch Cassette Vision, as the "first" proper console to emerge from Japan. Several Japanese manufacturers had produced dedicated consoles for years before Cassette Vision came along, and Bandai even manufactured one that accepted cartridges that worked like the jumper cards Magnavox included with the original Odyssey.

However, with Cassette Vision, Epoch produced the first game system to have been built from the ground-up in Japan that offered distinct software on standalone carts. It arrived a full two years before Nintendo's Famicom and Sega's SG-1000, and it presented a compelling mix of dated-but-entertaining games at a highly competitive price. The Japanese console games industry got its true start here, although it wouldn't become a true force to be reckoned with until the Famicom took off.

In NES Works Gaiden Epoch, I'll be exploring the history and design of the Cassette Vision library before moving along to the more robust Super Cassette Vision and the noble failure that was the Game Pocket Computer. Beginning with Kikori no Yosaku and Baseball, these games clearly hail from an era before Famicom; they're simple and primitive, but interesting nevertheless.

Metroidvania Works: Gargoyle's Quest | Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Final destination, no items, Fox Hound only: Gargoyle's Quest & Metal Gear 2 | Metroidvania Works 23

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQJSgX9mBVc

We bring the first decade of Metroidvania evolution to a close with a game that doesn't quite fit the definition of the format, calling back more to the likes of Zelda II with its multi-viewpoint design and dungeon-oriented structure. Still, Gargoyle's Quest does a lot of interesting things with the idea of exploratory action and absolutely deserves a place at the table in any discussion of what it means to be a metroidvania.

Meanwhile, Metal Gear's true sequel, Solid Snake, more or less marks a departure for its particular style of adventure from the evolutionary trends of mainline action-RPGs. With the likes of Zelda III and SoulBlazer on the horizon, Metal Gear's emphasis on stealth and real-world settings seems out of step with the genre's trends and speaks to the series' eventual place as the anchor of its own distinct segment of gaming... and by "eventual" I mean "after taking a nearly decade-long break."

And with this, we've completed the first phase of Metroidvania Works. The series will return to explore the '90s... but like Metal Gear's canonization, it'll happen "eventually." However, before that, all those intriguing games like Willow and Strider mean that 1989 beckons for a proper exploration on NES...

Special thanks to episode to Michael Drucker for helping to track down a copy of Metal Gear 2!

NES Works: Sesame Street 1-2-3 | Star Soldier
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

I love to count to 16 shots! Ah hah hah! Sesame Street 1-2-3 and Star Soldier | NES Works 106

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h1U7ItGE-g

The NES bursts into a new year, screaming headfirst into 1989 with the fiery, hardcore, all-time classic... Sesame Street 1-2-3? Hmm, well, perhaps not the first-footer your local Scot would consider an auspicious beginning to the year, but it does speak to the evolving nature of the platform at this point in history. The NES has finally reached a level of market saturation in the U.S. that justifies putting out basic arithmetic exercises for very young children... and, hey, at least it looks and sounds pretty solid.

Then, Astro Grover takes a left at Albuquerque and ends up in a complicated morass of a game: Star Soldier. Well, no, the game itself is profoundly uncomplicated—shoot, get power-ups, die, repeat—but it has an unusual backstory, having largely been copied from another company's homework, turned into a significant gaming culture event in Japan, and then published belatedly in America by a completely different publisher who would go on to copy it for their own homework.

Yes, 1989 promises to be raucous indeed.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I really enjoyed the video on Ultima Exodus as well (especially since I'm trying to find an NES RPG I haven't played yet, so no FF, DQ, Wizardry, or Bard's Tale). I can't tell if I'd have the patience for it these days, but it was cool to see the PC RPG style reworked.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
The Ulima series turned out surprisingly well on the NES, in spite of some of the edits, with U4 probably my favorite. The SNES versions, on the other hand...

NES Works: Tecmo Baseball | Tecmo Bowl
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Rookie season: Tecmo Baseball & Tecmo Bowl | NES Works 107

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOq-jp85_iE

Tecmo made a strong debut on NES in 1987 with several of the console's more memorable early exploratory titles... and then, inexplicably, they sat out all of 1988. Maybe the company decided to regroup and rethink its North American strategy, because they return to the scene here at the start of '89 with a pair of games crafted specifically for the U.S.: Tecmo Baseball, which (despite the Famicom audience's seemingly insatiable appetite for all things pro yakyuu) never even shipped in Japan, and Tecmo Bowl, by far the best console adaptation of the American gridiron to that point in history. It would eventually be eclipsed by the game's own superior sequel, but here at the beginning of a new year, Tecmo has arrived in force.

And this isn't even the high point of their early '89s titles!

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The Ulima series turned out surprisingly well on the NES, in spite of some of the edits, with U4 probably my favorite. The SNES versions, on the other hand...
U6 is fine in its conversion. It's the U5 conversion on the NES that came afterwards and tried to turn U5 into a clone of 6 (instead of just building off of 4's conversion) that was a disaster.

Meanwhile Black Gate on SNES might as well be a completely different game from U7

NES Works: Ultima: Exodus
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

More like "Alpha Genesis," am I right??: Ultima: Exodus | NES Works 108

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNrquKsN38A

The NES receives its first proper RPG—a port of one of the original foundational pillars of the genre—after almost two years of games that borrowed mechanics and concepts from this one. Ultima: Exodus rightly earned its reputation as a formative masterpiece on home computers in the early '80s, though here at the end of the decade in a revamped console-friendly format sitting amongst games that distill its ideas into breezy, accessible, action-driven experiences... it does feel slightly out of place. It also doesn't help that Phantasy Star (which boils down to "Ultima, except awesome") had shipped just a few months earlier on Master System. Still, you can see the seeds of America's eventual console RPG love taking shape here... even if that love would take a decade to become requited.

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Carny bastards.

image.png

Last edited:
NES Works: Q*Bert | Gyruss
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Let's try and get this back on track.

Put some spin on it: Q*Bert & Gyruss | NES Works 110

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYrfz3kca2g

A pair of vintage arcade conversions from Konami... err, sorry, I mean "Ultra Games." Haha, don't know how I could have made that mistake!!

Q*Bert and Gyruss only have one thing in common: Both arcade machines used control schemes that don't really map well to the NES D-pad. Otherwise, they don't have a lot of overlap—and that includes here on NES. "Ultra" poured its heart into this port of Gyruss, turning a fairly simplistic arcade shooter into a game on par aesthetically with their big 1988 hits. As for Q*Bert... well, it plays fine. But it doesn't have the Konami spit 'n polish you'd expect (for some weird reason) from a game from Ultra.

SPEAKING OF MISTAKES: I misremembered Gyruss as having spinner controls in the arcade, when in fact it had a non=centering 8-way joystick. Mandela Effected by my own petard. (The NES controls still don't quite work, though.)

NES Works Gaiden Epoch: Galaxian | Big Sports 12
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Taking the shot: Galaxian / Big Sports 12 | NES Works Gaiden: Epoch-02

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyDoJjm8HEQ

Epoch's post-launch titles for Cassette Vision maintain the momentum of its launch releases. That is to say, we have one game that involves swiping the creation of an arcade manufacturer, and one game that repurposes an earlier Epoch-made standalone console. But this time, each game comes with its own diabolical twist!

For one thing, the unlicensed Galaxian may obviously steal its title (quite brazenly) from a Namco arcade hit, but it actually swipes its content from a completely different game by a different publisher! And while Big Sports 12 owes its existence to the Epoch System 10 dedicated console, its story goes a little deeper than that and ties into the very core of the Cassette Vision's being.

You WILL believe a man can talk for nearly 20 minutes about two 1981 games that mostly consist of boxes moving around the screen.

Segaiden: After Burner | Penguin Land
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Antarctic Cruise: After Burner / Penguin Land | Segaiden #054

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqbpr7Dr8RE

Sega jets into 1988 with a new distributor and a pair of games that do what Sega did best on Master System: Namely, convert arcade games and create strong follow-ups to SG-1000 releases. After Burner doesn't pull off the Super Scaler-to-Master System adaptation trick quite as effectively as OutRun did, which is largely down to the more powerful arcade hardware behind After Burner's coin-op edition, but it still looks and plays a lot more impressively than any other console flight combat game at the time. Not that there were a lot. But still. As for Penguin Land, it's a top-flight puzzler... well, I guess "flight" isn't quite the word to use for a game about penguins. But it's quite good and has an interesting trick up its sleeve. As a treat.

NES Works: Kung Fu Heroes | Bandai Golf
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Brawl 'n ball: Kung Fu Heroes & Bandai Golf | NES Works 111

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuUdttyMIaU

Developer/publisher Culture Brain makes its debut on NES by riding into town on the same "conversions of pre-NES arcade games" that we saw last episode, though with considerably less success than Konami and Ultra. We can probably mark that down to the inadequacy of the source material, because Culture Brain did make a genuine effort here to tart up their port of Chinese Hero for the console, even swiping material directly from Super Mario Bros. They just forgot to swipe Mario's brilliant design and ebullient sense of fun. Oh well.

Faring better, Bandai Golf: Challenge Pebble Beach looks pretty mundane but offers a solid take on golf with an interesting wind-based mechanic on a digital rendition of a world-famous PGA course. Which counts for a lot! Assuming you like golf games.

NES Works: Ninja Gaiden
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Gaidenomics: Ninja Gaiden | NES Works 112

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNS0FsaA9hg

Here we have THE big NES release for Winter 1989: Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden.

Plenty has been made about how the revolutionary cinema scenes in Ninja Gaiden changed video games forever, which of course isn't quite true; this was by no means the first game to include manga-style animations and illustrations to convey story details. However, the breadth, artistry, and frequency of the interstitial sequences seen here set Ninja Gaiden apart from its predecessors, and this cinematic format would become THE standard for console game narrative animations—and with Ninja Gaiden arriving at the cusp of the CD-ROM revolution, you'd continue to see its fingerprints on the medium for another decade or more.

However, I don't think people give enough credit to just how well Ninja Gaiden played. Yes, it veers into the unreasonably difficult toward the end, but up until that point, Tecmo concocted a game that combined several influences (Castlevania, Ghosts 'N Goblins, etc.) and tumbled them around into something fresh and new. The emphasis on speed, movement, and maintaining pace here feel very much like the formula Sega would seize upon for Sonic the Hedgehog a couple of years later.

Anyway. It's a pretty good game, all things considered.

NES Works Gaiden Epoch: Battle Vader | New Baseball | PakPak Monster
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Clone highs: Battle Vader / New Baseball / PakPak Monster | NES Works Gaiden: Epoch-03

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nA1hFOk1s8

Not two but three—THREE!—games this episode. This might be exciting if not for the fact that one of those amounts to a barely tweaked version of a game we've seen before, which originally debuted years before Cassette Vision existed. Props to Epoch for scraping as much content out of that one bit of program code as possible, I suppose.

Far more exciting are the non-baseball titles here, Battle Vader and PakPak Monster. While both blatantly rip off popular arcade games, both also demonstrate that distinctive Epoch quirkiness, compensating for the console's lack of horsepower by introducing some unconventional gameplay tweaks. Both games also have deep roots in Epoch's own pre-Cassette Vision history. Well, maybe not "deep," exactly. But notable.

NES Works: Friday the 13th
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

The masked axe-slinger: Friday the 13th | NES Works 113

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMmXJwyRTmU

A day early in celebration of the season, it's... the worst NES game ever!

...is what I'd say if that weren't a wildly off-base claim. Friday the 13th by Atlus and LJN certainly isn't a masterpiece, but like most of LJN's Japan-developed early releases, it attempts to do a whole lot of interesting things with a film license instead of just barfing out some quick, easy, low-effort churn. That Friday the 13th fails to deliver on pretty much all of these ambitions almost doesn't matter, because there are some forward-thinking ideas here that would become baked into the fabric of the medium years later, once other developers figured out how to make them good.

Friday the 13th sucks, but it sucks with style. And that's pretty cool.

NES Works Gaiden: Konami Wai Wai World
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

The Belmont/Goemon/Goonies stakes: Konami Wai Wai World | NES Works Gaiden 60

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GguyKeWzg84

Welcome to the shadows of the annual Castlevania-themed episode. I'm sort of running low on relevant Castlevaniae to talk about here, at least in terms of games I don't intend to cover in their own right someday as part of Works, so it's a good thing that patron Joseph Wawzonek requested I tackle Konami Wai Wai World, huh?

Wai Wai World is technically only about 1/7 Castlevania by biomass, but realistically speaking, Castlevania is one of the few levels you can defeat without acquiring certain character skills or bulking up your team to soak up abuse from the bad guys. So for most of us, it's basically "that one Castlevania game that also has a lot of other dudes in it." An interesting game bursting with good ideas, but definitely one that falls into line with Konami's ambitious-but-flawed (not to mention wildly unbalanced) NES titles like Castlevania II and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... games with which it shares a lot of creative concepts in common.

NES Works: Marble Madness | John Elway's Quarterback
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Ball's quiet on the western front: Marble Madness & John Elway's Quarterback | NES Works 114

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUPcrTL5_oU

It's the British invasion all over again as Rare Ltd takes on two American institutions—namely, Atari and football. As the UK-based company makes inroads into becoming the TOSE of the West, we see the grim dichotomy of aggressive contract labor come into focus once again: Depending on the project and publisher, Rare's output could vary wildly. For Milton Bradley, they put together a bang-up rendition of coin-op classic Marble Madness. For Tradewest, their freshly endorsed version of arcade sports sim Quarterback feels, shall we say, lacking. The duality of man in action.

NES Works Gaiden Epoch: Monster Mansion | Astro Command
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

The Kong scramble: Monster Mansion & Astro Command | NES Works Gaiden: Epoch-04

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkOnbpQ2uHY

While Nintendo and Sega were in the process of entering the programmable console market, Epoch kept churning out Cassette Vision games... slowly. As per usual, these games should look fairly familiar to fans of classic arcade games, being slightly tilted renditions of popular hits. Business as usual, really. To Epoch's credit, their Donkey Kong knockoff beat the release of Nintendo's actual Donkey Kong conversion by several months. To their detriment, it wasn't nearly as good as the real thing. But, all things considered, while neither of these unofficial adaptations will go down in history as all-time classics, they do pretty impressive things with Epoch's very humble and dated hardware. That's something, right?

NES Works: Track & Field II | World Games
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Oh I see no I.O.C.: Track & Field II & World Games | NES Works 115

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxJBwHisuLs

Let the games begin! Wait, I'm getting a message here... the Games actually ended about half a year before these Olympics-themed (though not officially licensed!) titles launched.

Of all the "chip shortage" delays the NES library suffered in 1988-89, Track & Field II and World Games might be the funniest. Slated to launch during the '88 Seoul Olympics, they ended up shipping the following spring instead, long after the country had lost interest in the adventures of FloJo and Greg Louganis. But that's OK. Slick Konami visuals aside, these games don't really offer THAT much innovation over the minigame events that we had already seen in their NES predecessors from 1987.

NES Works: Mappy Land | Dance Aerobics
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Sweatin' the oldies: Mappy Land & Dance Aerobics | NES Works 116

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h70Z-z83aZk

This is one of those "pleasant surprise" episodes where I went in expecting nothing and came out impressed by both titles under the microscope.

Namco's Mappy-Land (published by Taxan for whatever reason) definitely shows its age, but despite being a 1986 release muddling its way onto NES in 1989, it has strong enough central gameplay and smooth enough controls that it holds up well. The City Connection of '89, if you will. Although the latter portions of the game do hint at a superior experience that could have been....

And Dance Aerobics, well. It didn't quite invent the rhythm genre, but it certainly prefigured the format. Not especially my cup of chai, but it has a lot more going for it than you might expect from the box art.

NES Works: The Guardian Legend
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

That's no lady, that's my wardroid: The Guardian Legend | NES Works 117

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94EQXBp6X2c

The NES gets a proper cult classic here with The Guardian Legend, another one of those games that blurs boundaries between rigid genres in the way that the best NES games so often so. The Guardian Legend sees developer Compile merging their two greatest disciplines—shooters and action-RPGs—into a single, wholly unique creation in the history of video games. It's a Zelda-style game where the dungeons consist of vertical shoot-em-up action. Although it does have a few modest flaws (notably some wild difficulty wild early on, followed by the latter half of the adventure mainly consisting of the Guardian steamrolling everything in her path), The Guardian Legend stands as a singular work and truly embodies the best of what the NES is all about.

Turbo Works: Analogue Duo
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Beginning the Works at the end: Analogue Duo | Turbo Works preview

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3xzQ5a1upY

This week's episode arrives a couple of days earlier than usual. It's also wildly out of sequence in terms of console chronology.

I've spent the past week or so kicking the tires on the Analogue Duo, which arrives at the same time that I've been gearing up to dive into the chronology of the TurboGrafx-16 in the U.S. I've been experimenting with different TurboGrafx hardware setups, photographing the game library, and familiarizing myself with the system's history and games for the past year. However, the Turbo Works series won't kick off until sometime next year, so this preview episode doubles as an overview of the Analogue Duo and as an introduction to the Turbo family hardware (and the quirks of its many variations).

If you're not interested in the preamble, you can skip ahead to the 3:10 mark.

This is not a particularly technical review, by the way. I have no illusions about being able to match the nuts-and-bolts knowledge of channels like My Life in Gaming or RetroRGB, so you'll probably want to check out their videos for your extremely granular details about Duo. I'm more concerned with convenience, comprehensive and accurate software support, flexibility, and the overall feel of the game experience.

There are a lot of options out there for playing TurboGrafx family software in 2023. Where does the Duo fit in? Does it have a place in an enthusiast's setup, not to mention a video creator's? That's the question that hovers over this episode.

(Spoilers: It does, though for the moment it comes with a few caveats.)

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
This is off-topic, but semi-related:
Does anybody know if the article Jeremy Parish wrote for 1UP about MGS2 is still available anywhere? It was titled "Gaming's Greatest Con Job".

NES Works: Fist of the North Star | Mystery Quest
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Taxan' your patience: Fist of the North Star & Mystery Quest | NES Works 118

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-q06BP_IDE

Taxan had a promising start on NES with Star Soldier and Mappy—two dated games, but solid ones. But all of that potential goes right down the toilet with this pair of ill-advised localizations! Why would they do this to us?

Fist of the North Star probably isn't the worst game based on the legendary manga and anime property, but lord knows it ain't good. You can kind of understand the logic behind the U.S. release of this game, as (like Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode) it coincides with Viz Media's furtive attempt to localize the comics into English. Except that this game covers the back half of the saga, and Viz's translations wouldn't actually reach that material until they rebooted the series after a five-year hiatus. Oops.

Mystery Quest is even more bewildering. It's like the bargain store edition of Milon's Secret Castle, a game that already felt like it was asking a little too much of players' patience and at least had solid visuals and music. Mystery Quest offers none of these things. At least Taxan cheaped out when buying ROM chips for this release, which forced them to trim 50% of the game's content from the original Japanese version. It may not be good, but at least there's not much of it, I guess.

This is off-topic, but semi-related:
Does anybody know if the article Jeremy Parish wrote for 1UP about MGS2 is still available anywhere? It was titled "Gaming's Greatest Con Job".
The site's still up, but the page containing the article appears to be broken, so here's an archived link (be warned, though. The pages are slow to load).

NES Works Gaiden Epoch: Monster Block | Elevator Panic
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

All kinda-good things: Monster Block & Elevator Panic | NES Works Gaiden: Epoch-05

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlAxPzaQ_4Q

Another system complete! With this episode, our look at Epoch's Cassette Vision comes to an end. Ah, but don't worry—this system's retirement doesn't even begin to signal the company's intention to depart from the console race. As Monster Block and Elevator Panic perform the Cassette Vision's funeral rites, not one but two new systems would emerge from Epoch's mad think tank....

As for the games themselves, Monster Block offers a pretty obvious riff on Sega's Pengo that uses an added score mechanic to really test the ol' noggin. And Elevator Panic combines a whole lot of different influences while building on Monster Mansion's framework. I realize now that I forgot to cite the most obvious influence here—Universal's Space Panic—but honestly there are only so many "homage" citations I can fit into one of these episodes.

Anyway, thank you for following me on this brief jaunt into an esoteric corner of Japanese console history. And thanks once again to Christa Lee for performing the mod work to make it possible! Luckily, Super Cassette Vision shipped with RGB capabilities built in right out of the box, so that run of episodes needs no extra work and is gonna look gooooood.

NES Works: Legacy of the Wizard
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

The family that slays together, stays together: Legacy of the Wizard | NES Works 119

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgXrfuu70ro

Wow, another metroidvania-adjacent adventure from Brøderbund? And maybe Compile, but probably not? Yes, well, you'd already have expected this had you been watching Metroidvania Works. But all the same, Legacy of the Wizard belongs to one of gaming's longest-running lineages—Dragon Slayer—even if it has practically nothing to do with any other game in its series. Because the Dragon Slayer series is just like that.

This sprawling, complex adventure includes a number of notable elements, including the ability (or rather, the requirement) to play as five distinct heroes over the course of the journey; Soukoban mechanics in a side-scrolling action game; the NES's only Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack; and a password system that ended up being the only way most of us ever actually saw the final battle. A massive commitment and a daunting challenge, Legacy of the Wizard suffers from a few balancing issues and some startlingly hostile design choices. Nevertheless, it really stands out as one of the biggest and most interesting games on NES to date.

NES Works: The Adventures of Lolo
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Soukoban is hell, except when it's HAL: The Adventures of Lolo | NES Works 120

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmsgsVvLftE

HAL Labs has been a regular fixture of NES Works nearly from the beginning thanks to their valuable behind-the-scenes contributions to games like Pinball, Golf, and Balloon Fight. And we saw a few self-published HAL titles back in 1988, though those amounted to simple ports of golden age arcade machines. Here, with Adventures of Lolo, we finally have a proper top-to-bottom self-published HAL original... and it's pretty great. You could be unkind and reduce Adventures of Lolo down to "Soukoban, but...," though that misses out on the fact that the "but..." is what sets this game apart. With real-time action and 50 stages of devastatingly crafted box-pushing puzzles beset by a variety of monsters cleverly designed and placed to both hinder and help protagonist Lolo (but mostly hinder), this is the first glimpse we've had of the fact that HAL could design good games rather than simply help others program them.

NES Works: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde | Amagon
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

'Roidvania: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde & Amagon | NES Works 121

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxhxBbeH5-w

This episode's games share exactly two things in common: Both involve guys who hulk out and turn into massive 'roided rage monsters, and both are so terrible that they will make YOU want to hulk out as well. However, here is the interesting thing (for a certain value of "interesting"): Both are terrible in completely different ways!

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde takes a bizarre, almost experimental approach to game design, sending its protagonist on a journey across Victorian London, where he is beset by an endless succession of utterly mundane nuisances that drive him mad, causing him to collapse in fury. This sends him to a freakish parallel universe where he exists as a hideous, twisted effigy of a man who can shoot parabolic energy beams at evil babies and hopping meatballs. Just like in Robert Louis Stevenson's classic novel!

Amagon, on the other hand, presents you with a pretty compelling hook and some well-considered risk-reward design. Do you play as a weakling with a machine gun, or as the durable muscleman with a limited attack and a massive hitbox who can't accumulate bonus items? Unfortunately, the game goes way too eagerly for punishing, kaizo-style design, which doesn't pair well with the limited lives, lack of continues, and iffy controls....

NES Works Gaiden Gakken: TV Boy | Excite Invader
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Hey, I'm Gakken here: TV Boy / Excite Invader | NES Works Gaiden (Gakken) 56

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iro4oXBn98U

Let's take a break from the world of Epoch to look at an even more forgotten corner of Japanese console history... and, in this case, rightly so. Educational product publisher Gakken really had no business releasing a console just a few months after the Famicom. And certainly not a console that amounted to a stripped-down Tandy CoCo. And absolutely not a console that looked and controlled like... THAT.

But we're here to celebrate video game history, both the good ideas and the bad, and while Gakken's TV Boy falls indisputably into the "bad" column of the ledger, the weird little thing wasn't entirely without precedent. And exploring the shape of its short life and meager library helps put other also-rans like Epoch into perspective... and does a lot to explain why Nintendo and Sega emerged from the Japanese console explosion of the early '80s as the sold survivors.

Special thanks to Christa Lee for modding this TV Boy for composite output and allowing for fairly clean video capture. Gotta preserve those tiny four-color pixels in all their glory.

NES Works: Predator | Taboo: The Sixth Sense
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Mais Ouija: Predator & Taboo: The Sixth Sense | NES Works 122

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUuEhNLRR64

A couple of games this episode that both try to do something a little different, but do they really succeed? And, perhaps more importantly, did anyone actually ask for them to forge their own path in the first place?

I will say this, though: At least they have both a point of view and a legacy. Predator belongs to the NES's legacy of overly ambitious media adaptations by very creative Japanese studios with neither the time, the resources, or (if we're being honest) the design chops to make it all come together into a true classic. Like Jaws, Rambo, and Friday the 13th before it, Predator aims big and fails big. In fact, one might argue that it fails most bigly of all.

And Taboo belongs to the tradition of not-really-games developed by Rare with nice visuals and sound and audio—think Anticipation, but even more so. It also draws on the legacy of fortune-telling software seen fairly often on Japanese consoles of the time. It's the kind of thing that would make for a fun bonus mode in a more substantial game, but seems kind of empty for a standalone full-price cartridge.