Status
Not open for further replies.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the other thread it seems pointless, considering it earns them nothing more than a pat on the back.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a big loss in income when Xbox is entirely focused on selling subscription services
Not sure I agree. If you are paying for Gold, the likelihood is you're in the eco system and there's a good chance you will transition to the next generation anyway. I'm sure anyone paying for Live now and getting an Xbox will be happy to swap the online gaming and 2 free games a month, to a library of titles and xcloud access.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I hope it happens. Sony would definitely have to follow suit. Nintendo probably wouldn't though. They don't seem to care what competition does. Sony would follow suit and that would be great for gamers.

Oct 29, 2017
I assume the idea is to get the casual cod/fifa gamer to xbox, but are they really going to be interested in first party MS games? I don't think that will translate to millions more full time gpass subs. Yet they would be losing out on xbox live subs.

that said I think they are definitely up to something

edit: not to mention MS have already proved that gpu is great value, why change it?

Why do you think those type of gamers wouldn't be interested in first party MS games?

rumbling

Mar 22, 2018
Good stuff! I would still assume that Gold will keep existing and online multiplayer will be replaced with Xcloud in it.

Maybe they need to re-brand it since gold is so associated with online multiplayer. However I assume that the deals with pubs for games with gold states that active sub is needed for Xbox One GWG and that would make removing the service kinda tricky. I guess it could also just be an MS "rule" and they can just remove the demand or incorporate it in an other service as they wish.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I hope it happens. Sony would definitely have to follow suit. Nintendo probably wouldn't though. They don't seem to care what competition does. Sony would follow suit and that would be great for gamers.

I think Sony would be giving up about a quarter of the whole companies profits and they have nothing they can move people into either. I can't see it.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Multiple subscriptions under the same service makes little sense in the services era and if anything makes it more confusing. Either roll the sub's features into the service while bumping it a few dollars, or support some kind of surcharge for premium features (kinda like how you can get HBO as a separate add on for certain streaming services).

I expect that both Sony and Microsoft will streamline their offerings to be more in line with a services way of thinking.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Lol of course they are worried about Xbox. That doesn't mean they are going to drop the paywall but don't be silly. They see what MS is doing with gamepass steam etc
They're not in the slightest "worried" about Xbox. They could do the exact same things as Xbox at a later point time if it comes to that. Two different strategies and goals. But in the console space, there's nothing to worry about.

These guys, including Xbox, has learned not to listen to y'all no more. Lol

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have no concern, just interest. A business doesn't walk away from billions without some prospect on making more billions than it is giving up. I just don't see the value added billions in such a plan.

It's possible to divorce consumer interest from raw business discussion.

Painting all such discussion as concern trolling is lame. Like you say Microsoft doesn't need concern, they don't need people playing unpaid defense either.

They aren't walking away from billions. PS+ makes Sony roughly 2 billion in revenue. If Microsoft is lucky, Xbox Live Gold makes then half of that. ~1 billion. No idea on the accuracy of the numbers - but one of the folks on Jeff Grubbs twitter feed that he replied to saying Gold is making ~$500 - 750 million a year. Again, there's a (good) chance that number is very wrong, but these are a far cry from billions.

On top of that, Xbox Live Gold is $60 a year. Game Pass (lowest tier) is $120 a year. If Microsoft can transfer half the XBL Gold subscribers to permanent Game Pass members, they would make roughly the same revenue, and would allow them to get their games to a larger population.

That would mean more gamers playing Halo, Forza, Gears, Fable, State of Decay, Flight Sim, Avowed, Ori, Sea of Thieves, etc.

From here, they have more ways to make revenue.

1.) People enjoy the games and stay subscribed
2.) They tell their friends to get Game Pass and play a game with them, they don't need to pay for online play just game pass
3.) People might want to play on xCloud or more than one platform and want to subscribe to the higher tier Game Pass Ultimate
4.) The F2P or paid multiplayer offerings they offer will have micro transactions (like every game), and more players = more chance to make a profit from micro transactions

On top of all that, they want to lure people in other ecosystems to think of getting Xbox as a second/third console for Game Pass.

I don't know if it'll work, but I can see the logic in the plan.

Last edited:

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I have converted more than handful of people to GamePass. Don't know anyone that isn't impressed with the value.

Phil pay me!

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have no concern, just interest. A business doesn't walk away from billions without some prospect on making more billions than it is giving up. I just don't see the value added billions in such a plan.

Painting all such discussion as concern trolling is lame. Like you say Microsoft doesn't need concern, they don't need people playing unpaid defense either.
He's not defending Microsoft though, simply calling out the 'concern trolling'.

All discussion is clearly not concern trolling but isn't it by definition ; appearing to be allied to one side but brining up negative points to garner sympathy since they're on your side while merely deflecting a conversation somewhere negative. By that definition there's lots of it going on here. Is it genuine concern? Sure some of it, but this positive topic does have hundreds of posts deflecting to Microsoft's poor revenue, especially from people with no interest in anything positive MS related or even MS as a whole.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Dude, it's Nintendo, the kings of failing upward. Hell the fact that they are charging a third of the price of Sony and MS's yearly subscription and it STILL feels like I'm getting ripped off is proof enough they have no idea what they are doing with regards to online

The fact that not every first party game has cloud saves is ridiculous

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would be great.

The one who started it would be the first to begin the initiative to drop it, how ironic.

I stopped paying for PS Gold years ago, upgraded my PC instead. More durable and free online, consoles going back to a free MP would be a fucking positive to play PS4 fighting games with close friends though.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that not every first party games has cloud saves is ridiculous
What? Man.
Nintendo fans are TRULY hardcore good grief.

I was surprised PS Now cloud saves for streaming games was different than donwloaded games. Not the case at all for xCloud. One save file and that's it.

The MS ecosystem is King for me despite "poor 1st party games."

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So Microsoft is taking this big chance right now to make billions by getting more people to join their free online ecosystem? Is Microsoft using their War chest from the other divisions in Microsoft to keep this up until it's finally profitable and they're out of the black?

If so, we're talking about a company that's worth almost 10 times as much as their next competitor and able to keep up their xbox sector until the other competitors bleeds out because they can't keep up financially with them.

I wonder if this is legal in the long run? Personally, I don't think they're going to get rid of gamepass. BUT, I THINK MS add more stuff to Game Pass to make it more valuable in the long run.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Dude, it's Nintendo, the kings of failing upward. Hell the fact that they are charging a third of the price of Sony and MS's yearly subscription and it STILL feels like I'm getting ripped off is proof enough they have no idea what they are doing with regards to online

Nintendo charging for online is one of the biggest gaming tragedies.

It's bad when your 2020 paid online service is trading blows with Xbox Live 1.0 in terms of consistency and features.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
What? Man.
Nintendo fans are TRULY hardcore good grief.

I was surprised PS Now cloud saves for streaming games was different than donwloaded games. Not the case at all for xCloud. One save file and that's it.

The MS ecosystem is King for me despite "poor 1st party games."
It blew my mind when my old Xbox saves worked on PC. Fr, that dropped my jaw

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is legal in the long run?

giphy.gif

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

It shouldn't be that hard to think of a way to make even more money with your free online multiplayer games once more people are playing them.

I think we can point at quite a few games out now to get your answer.

Oct 27, 2017
If so, we're talking about a company that's worth almost 10 times as much as their next competitor and able to keep up their xbox sector until the other competitors bleeds out because they can't keep up financially with them.

I wonder if this is legal in the long run? Personally, I don't think they're going to get rid of gamepass. BUT, I THINK MS add more stuff to Game Pass to make it more valuable in the long run.

Not legal in what way?

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
They aren't walking away from billions. PS+ makes Sony roughly 2 billion in revenue. If Microsoft is lucky, Xbox Live Gold makes then half of that. ~1 billion. No idea on the accuracy of the numbers - but one of the folks on Jeff Grubbs twitter feed that he replied to saying Gold is making ~$500 - 750 million a year. Again, there's a (good) chance that number is very wrong, but these are a far cry from billions.
you know that walking away from 500 million a year is literally walking away from billions? they will continue to not get that amount for years maybe decades so billions lost in revenue. if i quit my job and not get another one i don't just lose out on my next monthly salary.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let me get this right. MS is going to give up a billion dollar revenue stream, double down on gamepass that has questionable profitability in the short term and also match or beat Sony on Lockhart and Series X pricing? C'mon people...
Like they'll give away Halo/Gears/Fable/Forza/Psychonaughts/Yakuza/RDR2/Everwild etc for £11 a month?

Yup, seems exactly what they're about to pull off.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Microsoft requiring Game Pass for online multiplayer is 1000 times crazier as an idea than Gold just going away.
Hmmm kinda not? Gamepass basic costs the same as gold. IF they go this route i see the following steps

1. announce all gold subs will convert over to gamepass for console

2. a gratis period is announced for people to upgrade to ultimate and take their time with them (they've already done this before)

3. gold simply no longer exists. People get mad for a minute but then see all the extras of gamepass and things go back to normal

4. convince people to go ultimate for xcloud and pc gamepass

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
So is Gold going away or are they just going to find a new use for it? I think they ditch games with gold and just use Gold as a requirement for Xcloud if not using your console streaming (i.e. MS servers). To do that they would need the entire library playable though and then there is the issue with Stadia having a free mode, but their option is so limited at this time.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
you know that walking away from 500 million a year is literally walking away from billions? they will continue to not get that amount for years so billions lost in revenue.

If you're taking a long-term view, then it just makes more sense.

I already explained why in that post.

On top of that, Xbox Live Gold is $60 a year. Game Pass (lowest tier) is $120 a year. If Microsoft can transfer half the XBL Gold subscribers to permanent Game Pass members, they would make roughly the same revenue, and would allow them to get their games to a larger population.

That would mean more gamers playing Halo, Forza, Gears, Fable, State of Decay, Flight Sim, Avowed, Ori, Sea of Thieves, etc.

From here, they have more ways to make revenue.

1.) People enjoy the games and stay subscribed
2.) They tell their friends to get Game Pass and play a game with them, they don't need to pay for online play just game pass
3.) People might want to play on xCloud or more than one platform and want to subscribe to the higher tier Game Pass Ultimate
4.) The F2P or paid multiplayer offerings they offer will have micro transactions (like every game), and more players = more chance to make a profit from micro transactions

On top of all that, they want to lure people in other ecosystems to think of getting Xbox as a second/third console for Game Pass.

I don't know if it'll work, but I can see the logic in the plan.

Short-term they would lose money. Long-term they have the opportunity to make more money.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
There's not a single post in this thread thats concerned about MSs revenue, it's perfectly reasonable to question a rumor that states a company is literally throwing away billions in revenue every year.
You sure?
I'm a shareholder, so my interest is where will the revenue to cover the growing costs of the online infrastructure will come from. More people playing online, larger games in the CDN translate to more expense.

Otherwise, sure. Good for attraction and retention of customers.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
So Microsoft is taking this big chance right now to make billions by getting more people to join their free online ecosystem? Is Microsoft using their War chest from the other divisions in Microsoft to keep this up until it's finally profitable and they're out of the black?

??
What's not legal about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.