Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
The return of Wall guy.
WallGuy.jpg

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Sony released many this gen tbh.

I'm fine with PD, but a new AAA IP by MS would be nice.
Yes they released a few but so far all the games they announced for next gen are all existing IP's. Nintendo uses a lot of existing IP's and existing characters. So do the major publishers. This is no secret. I want Microsoft to announce more don't get me wrong but let's not act like the industry favors new IP's, especially for AAA titles.

PD has not been around for many years, to many it will be a new IP. What I don't want is the same game with a fresh coat of paint like I felt Coalition did with Gears. Gears Tactics put a whole new spin on things though.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god I hope that apex comparison doesn't mean it's just another Co-op GaaS shooter, that'd be a waste of talent right there

I think he means more in a franchise sense than a gameplay sense. Apex Legends was in the Titanfall universe but was still very much its own thing. Sounds like it might not even be called Perfect Dark.

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019
I'm hopeful the Initiative uses and refines some of the concepts that Obsidian had with Alpha Protocol.

Alpha Protocol had some jank to it but the Spy/Espionage ARPG aspect was original and the branching story was awesome.

We need more ARPG's that aren't just dark fantasy and sci-fi

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yes they released a few but so far all the games they announced for next gen are all existing IP's. Nintendo uses a lot of existing IP's and existing characters. So do the major publishers. This is no secret. I want Microsoft to announce more don't get me wrong but let's not act like the industry favors new IP's, especially for AAA titles.

PD has not been around for many years, to many it will be a new IP. What I don't want is the same game with a fresh coat of paint like I felt Coalition did with Gears. Gears Tactics put a whole new spin on things though.

They announced 2 new IP's too, Returnal and Destruction Allstars. Not their studios but first party.

But I agree that PD will certainly feel like a new IP, especially if it's third person..

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Perfect Dark may as well be a new IP.

Don't get why people are disappointed.

I mean I can see both sides. On one hand a new Perfect Dark game or a game set in that universe would be essentially a completely new experience and feel. But you have some idea of what it's going to be. On the other hand you have completely no idea what you're going to get and could get something absolutely nothing like Perfect Dark.

I think people just want that next brand new experience from Microsoft. Think about a world you have never explored before and have no idea what to expect. The first time playing through Halo or Gears comes to mind. Both hands have valid points.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is he saying it's a 3rd person stealth action game featuring a female protagonist and Blade Runner-esque style, so it's getting superficially bandied about as "new Perfect Dark?"
Yeah I think that's what he's getting at, though in an obtuse way. Game is probably called Perfect Dark and features the characters and superficial aesthetics, but gameplay is totally different than past games in the series.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda disappointing if true, was hoping they'd be making a new IP.
Yeah, I really wish MS would step away from some of these IPs and the baggage included with them. I'm sure there are folks from back in the day that dig it, but I don't think the name holds much weight personally. As the poster below said, it could still be interesting based on whatever direction they go though

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
You guys are talking as if Perfect Dark is a series with countless entries and has been done to death.

There's 2 games in the franchise.

This one could be essentially anything scifi.,

Oct 25, 2017
3rd person single player and maybe a 1st person multiplayer mode might be cool.

- has that ever been done before with a game like this?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I think they are going to chase cinematic Uncharted style gameplay with this which... Ehhh not that keen.

Hopefully it's more stealthy immersive sim like, but those games don't really sell well enough to justify an AAAAAA production. We'll see in a couple of years I guess lol.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

But why? If there are gameplay elements that are designed around 3rd person, why then make MP a 1st person mode that eschews those elements?

To answer your question: No, I don't think that's ever been done.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
A reboot of sorts is certainly necessary. Few of the desired audience will have played the original and the prequel was certainly not well received.

It looks like we are getting a third person cinematic game. Hopefully it leans a bit into Splinter Cell with sci-fi elements. Regardless, it sounds interesting.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is it just me, or did Jeff Grubb come out of nowhere with his damn-near perfect record on inside knowledge?

Like, it was always Jason Schreier (still is). But now I constantly am digging through Jeff's tweets as well.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

But why? If there are gameplay elements that are designed around 3rd person, why then make MP a 1st person mode that eschews those elements?

To answer your question: No, I don't think that's ever been done.

Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow or Chaos Theory on og Xbox had spies vs mercs multi, where the mercs played in first person.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
The leak was true.

eEWW THIRD PERSON THOOOO

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This to me implies that they're inserting Joanna and the PD name into an existing universe from another IP. I'd rather have that than vice versa.
Or he's just saying that they've changed the genre, the same universe but they're making a third person action adventure with Joanna Dark instead of a first person shooter.

Could be fantastic to be honest, but the character design suddenly becomes super important, she has never been controversial but it could still be a mine field because nobody knows what the fans actually want and they need the fans to sell the game. They should probably release a character intro teaser to check how the community react so they can tweak things before the release.

And with a third person perspective they need to absolutely nail the animation system as well which can't be easy for a new dev, people kinda expect Assassin's Creed level animations today or there will be complaints that it looks janky.

But all in all. I'm excited!

Last edited:

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
We need a good futuristic 3rd person stealth game, MS has wanted to do this for so long, glad they get to now

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's true, I'm sure that this is a "cinematic" reboot like Uncharted.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it stars Joanna but not called Perfect Dark?

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
It's going to be like a reboot, third person is good, think something like uncharted except future spy stuff
Wouldn't it be more splinter cell ?

Somewhere between the two would do me nicely (and fill a real gap in Xbox's first party genres).

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the weirder/less serious stuff (like Elvis) doesn't really make it.

Please God.

Elvis does not stand up well.

Parham

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are reading too much into his comments. It's aesthetically a Perfect Dark game in the sense that it uses the same characters, organizations, and setting, but it doesn't play like any of the previous Perfect Dark games.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
With Metal Gear and Splinter Cell practically dead, I completely approve of Perfect Dark shifting gears to fill their shoes.

PD's design can absolutely work in third person, and we have more than enough FPS out there.

I'm anxious to see if they plan multiplayer as well and adapt those classic maps around the new gameplay.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Aww yes, it always works out when a company brings back an old classic and changes the gameplay completely.

I love Fear Effect Sedna.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
This sounds pretty dope. Futuristic spy stuff with aliens and crazy weapons/gadgets, could see it working in third person and based around set pieces.

Oct 26, 2018
Oh god I hope that apex comparison doesn't mean it's just another Co-op GaaS shooter, that'd be a waste of talent right there
....he's literally just giving an example on what it probably is, apex is essentially a new ip, but based in the preexisting titanfall universe. Or how obsidians nee game avowed is a new ip but based in eora( world from pillars of eternity)
You could even go far as ffvii is the same universe as ffx( I think this one fits) or agent's of mayhem and saints row

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Bleh. Perfect Dark was a near perfect game for it's time with a feature set that rivals almost any game released today.

Would've loved to see a sequel that was true to the original, didn't try to "reimagine" everything just for the sake of it.

Sigh.

Still, hope it's good...

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Kinda disappointing if true, was hoping they'd be making a new IP.
We're talking about a series that had all of like three titles, including two prequels with mixed reception, one of which was a low profile, largely forgotten GBC spin-off, with no new releases in 15 years, and apparently a substantial shift in genre. It's functionally a new IP, but one that still gets old fans excited. It's like Kid Icarus: Uprising or something.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
How come Rare doesnt make any of the sequels to their own series anymore?

I mean, making original content and new IP is great but its just weird that every sequel to a Rare game is outsourced to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.