• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
and to think there was bit on Curb mistaking him for Weinstein.

this is just too on the nose at this point.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I wonder if he pulls the same stuff on Curb since the dynamic is presumably different with the focus on improv and a stacked cast of pretty seasoned comedians. I can't imagine him grabbing staff and screaming vagina over and over again on that type of set…its abusive, not funny, and kills the vibe on a show where people kind of have to be in the zone and in character since there's no real script.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Goldbergs is not good anymore, perhaps time to end it now.

Curb could work in a plot line getting rid of him.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Good, fuck him. Can't really get wound up about Jeff's status on Curb; firstly because that should be really fucking low on everyone's list of priorities in a situation like this, and secondly because…they can just do it without him?

They probably won't (LD brought fucking Michael Richards back) but the Larry/Jeff dynamic is not as interesting as Larry/Suzie, Larry/Leon, Larry/Funkhouser (RIP), or Larry/Cheryl or even Larry/Ted, he's just some lech that Larry riffs with.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if he pulls the same stuff on Curb since the dynamic is presumably different with the focus on improv and a stacked cast of pretty seasoned comedians. I can't imagine him grabbing staff and screaming vagina over and over again on that type of set…its abusive, not funny, and kills the vibe on a show where people kind of have to be in the zone and in character since there's no real script.
According to him they encourage it.

It's always the same thing. It's about me and my silliness on set. They don't think it's appropriate. I do. That's where we're at. I've not been fired because of it. We just think differently. Now when I'm at Curb Your Enthusiasm, for example, if I'm not doing the things that we're talking about, Larry David—or a cameraman, the producer, who's a woman—lots of people come up to me and ask me if I'm okay. I need to do what I need to do to keep my energy up and do what I do. So I don't know what to say. To me, if you're a stand-in on a show and you don't like the content or the behavior... If someone's going after you, that's different. But in terms of in general—well, then by God, quit, go someplace else.

www.vanityfair.com

“No, I Have Not Been Fired From ‘The Goldbergs’”: Jeff Garlin Responds to Talk of Misbehavior on Set

The comic, who also appears on ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm,’ calls ‘V.F.’—and answers some uncomfortable questions.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I'm not gonna act like I knew he was some abusive prick, but I saw him do a set at a comedy club a few months ago and he was a complete jackass. All of his jokes were a failed attempt at gross out humor (shocker, it was mostly about genitals) and when the room didn't respond much he got kind of belligerent and started confronting specific people about why they weren't laughing. When that failed to gain any traction he walked off stage without the normal "I'm ———, thanks for listening have a good night" or whatever.

The host ran back in a rush from another room so we wouldn't have twenty seconds of dead silence lmao. Not that big of a deal, everyone has bad nights on stage, but that is the only seasoned comedian I've seen just storm off without ending the set. I don't care about the crowd, but it was rude af to the host and to Jay Leno who went up right after him.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I fully believe him when he says they are jokes because I've caught some his standup and it's not funny at all and not dissimilar tbh. Shouting obscenities and other nonsense. Basic professionalism is hard.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
"If I said something silly and offensive, and I'm working at an insurance company, I think it's a different situation. If I, as the star of the show, demanded a gun range and on set, and I was firing guns every day and I was a little bit loose—to me, that's an unsafe work atmosphere. If I threatened people, that's an unsafe work atmosphere. None of that goes on ever with me. That's not who I am. I am sorry to tell you that there really is no big story. Unless you want to do a story about political correctness," he said.
deadline article

whelp there we go, it's the ol' political correctness gone mad again

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine having to leave your job because you can't stop screaming GRANDMA'S VAGINA at your coworkers

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
According to him they encourage it.

www.vanityfair.com

“No, I Have Not Been Fired From ‘The Goldbergs’”: Jeff Garlin Responds to Talk of Misbehavior on Set

The comic, who also appears on ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm,’ calls ‘V.F.’—and answers some uncomfortable questions.

I imagined the culture at HBO was vastly different from the set of an ABC family show.

Seems like he was doubling and tripling down on the Goldbergs set when he'd get pushback that he wouldn't get while working on Curb.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
That'd explain why he's had such a subdued role this season. The writing has been on the wall for a while now. I also wonder if his behavior explains the departure and reduced roles of a number of female roles.

Regardless, I'd rather have the show end. It's gone on long enough.

better off, the show has been terrible for a good few years now. i can't think of any family-based sitcom that has managed to stay funny when the kids grew up. Roseanne is probably the best example, up until the awful final season

KingFox

May 17, 2018
Just remembered this is now the second cast member being let go for problematic behavior. Last year there was Bryan Callen (the gym teacher) who has been accused of sexual assault.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Garlin gave a huge interview to Vanity Fair a couple of weeks ago on this. Evidently an effort to spin the PR toward the postiive but he comes off horribly in the article:

www.vanityfair.com

He did this for a POSITIVE PR spin? 😬

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, really? I thought that was just because of him being in the Schooled spinoff and they just haven't written him back in? Damn :/
I can't remember what it specifically was but he was accused of something while he was on Schooled and that show was cancelled anyways. So the only person not back from that show that might come back is Lainey but not that gym coach. He is gone for good.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Garlin gave a huge interview to Vanity Fair a couple of weeks ago on this. Evidently an effort to spin the PR toward the postiive but he comes off horribly in the article:

www.vanityfair.com

That was a train wreck.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I imagined the culture at HBO was vastly different from the set of an ABC family show.

Seems like he was doubling and tripling down on the Goldbergs set when he'd get pushback that he wouldn't get while working on Curb.

Yeah, being constantly "on" and riffing in character as an obnoxious asshole is essentially what they want from the actors on Curb. I imagine the crew working around him expect it and are prepared to deal with it.

For some reason Garlin can't understand why people working on a traditional, tightly scripted network sitcom would have completely different expectations. It's bizarre, he's willfully clueless despite having it clearly explained.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Low-effort drive-by post.
more surprised the Goldbergs is still a show

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
sounds like he tries too hard to be "edgy" with his humor. Pretty embarrassing for a dude that's nearly 60 years old.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
That's... bizarre. I'm assuming they must have had his assistance and they weren't just pasting in random bits of B-roll on his double? That is, they were getting Garlin to record material with the explicit intention of adding it to footage recorded with the double, rather than going "Jeff's not fucking here again, just slot in Geoff for this scene and we'll splice in something from the archives later..."

Wonder why they had made a practice of doing that, and it would be interesting to see if people can ID scenes now we know it was done.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
That Vanity Fair interview is one of the more wild, self-sabotaging celeb interviews I've read in some time.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Why does it feel like this show was going to be canceled anyways and ABC is trying to look like they gave a shit about these women after YEARS (Seasons) of investigating him and now are making it look like they did something?

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
He was an utter dick whenever he used to appear on Doug Loves Movies so no surprises here.
I went to a Doug Loves Movies live taping roughly 10 years ago and he was a huge asshole to the other guests. It was really weird to see it happening in person. Like, he was super aggressive for no reason. I'm not surprised he made the people he worked with on the show uncomfortable as well.

Oct 25, 2017

Also a distinct possibility that LD doesn't go in for any of this bullshit on the Curb set, so he doesn't have room to be this kind of an asshole.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
Not sure why but my first thought was Young Sheldon's dad and that he needed to be killed off eventually for the story to line up with TBBT.

I actually still enjoy The Goldbergs though and liked the whole cast. Very disappointed he's such a scummy human. Seems to be more common every year. Makes you appreciate the people who are genuine though

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Never watched because I hated the Barry character. I'm surprised the show lasted 9 seasons.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Never watched because I hated the Barry character. I'm surprised the show lasted 9 seasons.

Barry is okay but his whole bit (that has bled into the writing for the rest of the cast) is restating the obvious for comedic effect like Tracy Jordan would often do on 30 Rock.

At some point it's like okay enough already with that joke method

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Damn, sucks that he's treating people like that. I wonder if Larry will cut him from Curb now too.

It's cynical I know, but surely Larry knows about this behaviour, and keeps him on regardless. As his behaviour surely isn't exclusive to the Goldbergs? If anything happened now it's just for public image reasons rather than genuinely being someone who cares. Which sucks.

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Damn. I had no idea how terrible he is. I used to love this show. It will suck going back and watching earlier episodes knowing that:
  • Garlin is human excrement.
  • Callen (gym teacher) is human excrement.
  • Segal (Pops) passed away earlier this year.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's cynical I know, but surely Larry knows about this behaviour, and keeps him on regardless. As his behaviour surely isn't exclusive to the Goldbergs? If anything happened now it's just for public image reasons rather than genuinely being someone who cares. Which sucks.

Very possible but one thing that becomes clear if you read the Vanity Fair article is that Garlin views himself as King Big Shit on The Goldbergs and feels like he is entitled to act the way he does because he sees himself as the star of the show. He even cites that as the reason he can treat the stand-ins like crap. It's possible he acts differently on Curb where, not only is he not the star of the show, but the rotating roster of supporting actors and cameos are often bigger names as well.