Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like they put more thought and care into the reveal video/show than anything else for this project.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
The concept has an audience. As console prices decrease the player base increases. Stadia is positioned as a 'console' that you can access for $0.

Google haven't realized the concept yet. It's a service behind a $130 paywall, and that isn't their pitch. They appear to still be working towards that pitch. I don't think declaring Stadia's failure while they are still actively progressing towards their goal makes sense.

This is fair but it is also not what they're offering at launch. We can only talk about what they have now, not the future. And since they seem to not be able to hit their stated claims right now I'm not sure they will be able to hit "$0 up front, bring your own keyboard or controller" ever.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Again, in that case you go xCloud. An infinitely larger library, ability to play games via streaming or locally, and a subscription model that actually makes sense.

XCloud is in beta with a limited library also. Right now your options are Stadia or PSNow. And at this point in time Stadia performs better than XCloud and PSNow. It doesn't have as many games sure. It's just like every other console launch.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm still kinda baffled, about the whole launch, to be quite honest.

- They had kinda an easy game. The competition is not doing anything till next year. Why the rush?

- Games are a bit too expensive, yeah, i know, AC Odyssey also cost 60€ on XBL or PSN, but, here is where they could have used it to their advantage. Sell games a bit cheaper at start, cause, they are old games, most people have it anyway. I'm guessing, they are getting a 30% cut from each sold game? So why dont they just don't cash their cut on these games at start? Without the 30%-cut, they could sell the games for 42 Euros, and i think, more people would then try those games/new tech out, but paying full price, and then having some issues, worse quality then on consoles? That's not gonna work

- No big exclusives... they have to be having planing this for years, this is just inexcusable

- I would have waited with the release till Cyberpunk, and if it's possible till then, Cyberpunk in 4k and 60FPS? I would buy it immediately, cause then, i wouldn't have to upgrade my computer.

- I still think, that streaming is good, and it's going to be the future, but Google is going at it kinda half-assed. Many will wait to see what the competition is going to offer. There is no need for Gamers to rush and buy this, cause most games they either own, or can buy it for console/pc.

Having said that, i hope Google is gonna stick with it, and keep improving it.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This feels weird to say given its being financed by a tech giant with massive resources, but it just feels like Google is completely out of their depth with Stadia. They're offering solutions to barriers that gamers have long been conditioned to accept (console hardware), at the end of a generation when the market is already saturated with that hardware, all while not offering any compelling exclusive content of their own.
I wonder if they would have been better to try and launch stadia after next gen started. Not when consoles are basically at the cheapest they will be before next gen launches.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Completely unsurprised. No buzz surrounding the launch coupled with technical performance issues, lack of promised features and a ridiculous game pricing structure.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Completely unsurprising. Aside from the tech hurdles that have yet to be remedied for this kind of product to really take off in the mainstream, if they were trying to launch a service this ambitious they needed to make sure they had a lot of content to offer, which they obviously did not.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
they are there but they r interested in only casual friendly games . not catalogs of hardcore games. isn't it cheaper and better to develop these few casual friendly games locally for mobile than go through all this latency issues world wide?

You're stating this as a fact but based on your personal opinion. So the millions of people playing battle royales don't play "hardcore" games. How many of these are playing on mobile when they are away from their console or PC ? Even if they were casual gamers as you say, would you not think they would be interested in trying out other games on mobile....if it was on a service that worked with a decent price ?

I primarily play on my console but I would like the option to also play some games on a mobile device when away from my house.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they would have been better to try and launch stadia after next gen started. Not when consoles are basically at the cheapest they will be before next gen launches.
Well, if they can't render this gen games at 4K now, good luck for next gen games and the inevitable comparison.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The concept has an audience. As console prices decrease the player base increases. Stadia is positioned as a 'console' that you can access for $0.

Google haven't realized the concept yet. It's a service behind a $130 paywall, and that isn't their pitch. They appear to still be working towards that pitch. I don't think declaring Stadia's failure while they are still actively progressing towards their goal makes sense.
But what audience will buy $60 games but cant afford a console? I worked min wage when ps4 came out, so like $15k a year, and even my coworkers who literally only play nba2k has ps4's by 2014.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I dunno paying for a game then playing it on my iPad at 1080p with great graphics sounds nice. As it is not very interested because if I have to play on my tv via a chromecast might as well just use my Xbox. When it's fully out and I can use an app on my iPad with a google Wi-Fi controller I'm totally trying it out. A Gamepass sub service would be great too but I doubt many new games will show up on it.

All this negative talk reminds me how people kept saying digital sales were going to fail and we see how that turned out.

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
I don't understand why everyone wants it to fail. Why is having more choice a bad thing? No one is forcing you to use it or pay for it. Let the people who want it, enjoy it.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
XCloud is in beta with a limited library also. Right now your options are Stadia or PSNow. And at this point in time Stadia performs better than XCloud and PSNow. It doesn't have as many games sure. It's just like every other console launch.

I got into X-Cloud last night and within minutes was streaming games on one of our phones (not mine as I'm Apple). I was impressed. More so than Stadia at this moment. Which, considering our Android phone is a Samsung, Stadia wouldn't even work.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As we've said forever, a streaming-only platform for AAA games, targeted at people who don't play AAA games, appeals to neither the hardcore console/PC player nor the casual gamer.

It's a solution in search of a problem.

It feels like they're making a mistake similar to Xbox in 2013, focusing on television, instead of the core audience who, in this case, want a download option OR a monthly unlimited play option.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should've combined those Google smart glasses from years ago with Stadia and make us able to stream games to them. lol

The glasses could've served as the VR headset of sorts.

Fuck it.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
But what audience will buy $60 games but cant afford a console? I worked min wage when ps4 came out, so like $15k a year, and even my coworkers who literally only play nba2k has ps4's by 2014.

It isn't about not being able to afford a console. People can afford 4K Blu Ray players - but they don't buy them because they can buy a 4K movie digitally and stream it. Does it look as good? They don't care.

When you can choose between $250+$60 and $0+$60 to play Square Enix's Avengers the math with make sense to a good amount of people. It will make sense to a lot of people going into next-gen.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's launching with year old, overpriced games, and virtually zero exclusives. And the games somehow manage to look and run worse than their 'last-gen' competition. That's unlike any other console launch.

And xCloud is literally a couple months away. So yeah, I guess if someone REALLY needs to stream year old games TODAY, right at this very moment, then sure, have at it with Stadia.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
With pricing like that, yeah.

If I were paying a monthly subscription and my games were all 19.99 brand new release and 9.99 otherwise then hell yeah.

But they should have known, if someone is willing to spend that much money to own a game then they are the same demographic that would be buying the console to play and own it.

They would have made fucktons of money if they were more generous with the pricing. :/

There's still time to turn it around, it's the internet age, snap decisions can be made. But my hopes are low.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I know everyone is excited and happy about this. But as someone who was never going to buy in I'm a little disappointed it's flopping. Would be good to have another player pushing against the big guns.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why everyone wants it to fail. Why is having more choice a bad thing? No one is forcing you to use it or pay for it. Let the people who want it, enjoy it.
More choice isn't bad.

But this imo is a terrible choice due to the game prices. Like holy hell, I'm not going to pay $60 for a game that doesn't even require the fullpower of stadia that my own computer can run and that has been on sale since forever.

They need to improve it imo to market better because right now, it's unappealing.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
The most damning thing for me is not the sales or the reviews, but that they have started to lose the 'Founders' with the bombshell that Destiny 2 is being rendered at 1080p and upscaled to 4K, running at medium PC settings, going against basically all of their messaging over the last six months.

It's made the Pro tier essentially worthless unless there are significant and quick improvements.

How they respond to it is critical. They could begin by offering far more than the initial 3 months of pro available to Founders.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It isn't about not being able to afford a console. People can afford 4K Blu Ray players - but they don't buy them because they can buy a 4K movie digitally and stream it. Does it look as good? They don't care.

When you can choose between $250+$60 and $0+$60 to play Square Enix's Avengers the math with make sense to a good amount of people. It will make sense to a lot of people going into next-gen.
I'd say 90% of the people interested in the Avengers game already have ps4s and xboxes

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Can all those Stadia fans of which there are (were?) a surprisingly large number of on ERA please eat their crow now?

If it didn't look bad enough from the beginning, Stadia certainly became a bad product destined for quick failure. And yet... plenty people pretending otherwise to a degree that just can't be healthy.

Fricking negative-latency got defended by some...

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
More choice isn't bad.

But this imo is a terrible choice due to the game prices. Like holy hell, I'm not going to pay $60 for a game that doesn't even require the fullpower of stadia that my own computer can run and that has been on sale since forever.

They need to improve it imo to market better because right now, it's unappealing.

It doesn't have to be for you. It's not for everyone. People who have invested 1000s of dollar into a PC may not need this, but maybe not everyone has a PC or a console. People could choose to ignore and move on with their Consoles/PCs, instead of actively shitting on it.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of fucked up that it's not the tech that's bad - it's the service around it. Really shit way to introduce streaming to gaming. I have a lot more hope in Microsoft pulling it off artfully and in a more consumer-friendly way, so my eggs are in that basket.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
just thinking about how much it cost to build out the infrastructure for this and seeing the sub-par hardware results

then thinking about how much it will cost to replace all those blades to even come close to next gen consoles and PC video cards

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I know everyone is excited and happy about this. But as someone who was never going to buy in I'm a little disappointed it's flopping. Would be good to have another player pushing against the big guns.

They're not going anywhere. These comments about the service being a flop are just hyperbole.

Once they fix the issues and the free trials become available they'll be fine.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It's launching with year old, overpriced games, and virtually zero exclusives. And the games somehow manage to look and run worse than their 'last-gen' competition. That's unlike any other console launch.

And xCloud is literally a couple months away. So yeah, I guess if someone REALLY needs to stream year old games TODAY, right at this very moment, then sure, have at it with Stadia.

And when XCloud is available then we can do a comparison. You're willing to give a service that hasn't taken off yet the benefit of the doubt over one that actually exists. How good are those games on XCloud going to look in comparison? They currently run at 720p.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What's insane to me is that orders were below expectation AND they've had issues shipping to those orders. What a fiasco.

I'm very interested in a service like Stadia that Google announced ~6-8 months ago with the features they mentioned. But what they delivered this week is not what they showed 6+ months ago. What's funny is the thing most people banked on being a failure, the streaming technology itself, is actually successful and much better than other attempts before it, but the service wrapping it is all half-baked, not ready for release.

just thinking about how much it cost to build out the infrastructure for this and seeing the sub-par hardware results

then thinking about how much it will cost to replace all those blades to even come close to next gen consoles and PC video cards

I think the investment is probably easier for Google because they can provision a lot of that equipment from other hardware used in Google Cloud Platform. Of course, some hardware isn't as transferrable as other. The software investment in their streaming technology will come and go back and forth between investments in other applications, like YouTube, YouTube TV, and other interactive open-socket applications (Google Docs for instance).

But yeah... unless they can right the ship, they'll take a loss on this. Google doesn't care, they piss money, but money is money

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And when XCloud is available then we can do a comparison. You're willing to give a service that hasn't taken off yet the benefit of the doubt over one that actually exists. How good are those games on XCloud going to look in comparison? They currently run at 720p.
There's endless impressions of the xCloud beta and they're nearly all extremely positive. And xCloud is focused on mobile device streaming, which is the correct approach.