Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Staten is now confirmed to be back

www.halowaypoint.com

Halo Community Update - Familiar Facts

Over the past few weeks we've shared some very important Halo Infinite news, kicked off our Halo 3: ODST flight on PC and Xbox, released lots of fun Halo gear, and so much more. Without further ado, let's jump right in to the latest Community Update!

And last, but certainly not least, we're excited to announce that our old friend Joseph Staten will be returning home to Halo for a bit. After helping launch Tell Me Why this week, he'll be coming on board as project lead for campaign as we push towards our 2021 release. The team has been working hard realizing our vision for campaign and we're happy to have Joseph's help to get it to the finish line.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

www.halowaypoint.com

Over the past few weeks we've shared some very important Halo Infinite news, kicked off our Halo 3: ODST flight on PC and Xbox, released lots of fun Halo gear, and so much more. Without further ado, let's jump right in to the latest Community Update!

Added full quote:

And last, but certainly not least, we're excited to announce that our old friend Joseph Staten will be returning home to Halo for a bit. After helping launch Tell Me Why this week, he'll be coming on board as project lead for campaign as we push towards our 2021 release. The team has been working hard realizing our vision for campaign and we're happy to have Joseph's help to get it to the finish line.

For those of you who don't know Joseph Staten, he wore many hats while working at Bungie for all of their Halo titles and even Destiny before joining the Xbox Games Studios family in 2014. If you enjoy Halo's storylines, characters, and overall universe, he's definitely one of the key people you have to thank. As product lead on Halo Infinite, however, Joseph will be focused on supporting the campaign team's existing, talented, creative leaders and ensuring they have everything they need to create an awesome Halo game. His return to the franchise excites me and we're all looking forward to having him on board!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still wonder if they're better off scrapping it and moving on. They've changed leadership so many times during this project.
Leadership remains the same. Bonny and Chris Lee. They're bringing on Halo vets to assist/guide.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Nice. Had no idea who he was but to hear he was around during the original Halo games at Bungie gets me excited. Do we think his return has anything to do with Halo infinite?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Sounds like Staten is there to actually push them in the right direction for the campaign. Not gonna be surprised if this game barely makes it out of the gate.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news, though the fact that he's working on the campaign for a title that was supposed to ship in 3 months is ... interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Infinite is a 10-year platform. I doubt he has a major impact on launch content if 343 intends to launch next year, but maybe Staten could impact the first wave of post-launch content and beyond.
Basically this, but I mean if you're going to bring somebody in to help release a struggling Halo game, he's the man to do it.

Just having him in ANY role at 343 Industries is very exciting to say the least! All post-launch content will have his finger prints all over it. Not to mention every other non-Infinite Halo project. Joe isn't the type of person to just sit back and say yes or no, this or that. He gets his hands dirty. He's a writer and game director at heart, so even if he's brought in just to help manage projects, his creative side will take over and suddenly we'll have Halo content written by Joe. Oh, I can't fucking wait.

Jan 4, 2018
These arrivals don't necessarily mean that game will release in Fall 2021 or 2022.

Not the same game, not the same people, not the same era, but Rod joining Irrational in late development of Bioshock Infinite actually helped to release it on time after the delay (from 2012 to 2013), several departures and the game being a no-show at E3 2012.

Rod Fergusson joined Irrational in August [2012] last year after over seven years at Epic Games, working mainly on the Gears of War series.

His arrival came late in the day on BioShock Infinite's five-year development, and helped guarantee the game hit its March 2013 release date after a delay.
www.eurogamer.net

Rod Fergusson, the "Closer" who helped get BioShock Infinite out the door, is leaving Irrational

UPDATE: Ex-Gears of War and BioShock Infinite producer Rod Fergusson tweeted that he'll be heading up a new studio for …

Last edited:

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do think the game is a year or more away. It's honestly obvious from the footage they showed. And I am not talking about fidelity. But I don't think the implication that adding Joseph would delay the game FURTHER is accurate. If anything, bringing new senior management to a project like this will ensure it gets finalized without further delays.

That said, it was probably always a year or so away.
I think what Patrick's alluding to isn't that Joe will somehow cause more delays, but the fact that such a big managerial shakeup is happening this late in development points to the project being in a far worse shape than we've previously been lead to believe and that it's going to take a lot more work to get it to a shippable state than what could be done with a delay of only 4, 6 or maybe even 12 months.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

www.halowaypoint.com

My guess is that they have a lot of pieces and they need to find some way to make it all fit, some connecting thread. Because internally I'm 90% sure they are like, this campaign isn't working. Joseph, with knowledge of the lore and cutscene scripting, would be perfect to find said thread.

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
Great move but seems like it's only a temporary hire to help get Infinite out the door.

My goodness this game must be going through a special kind of development hell. I really doubt there's much Staten can do in less than a year but hopefully he can help steer this thing in the right direction for launch.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Bungie remade Halo 2 in 18 months.

If we pencil in the possibility of Halo Infinite being Xbox One's Swan Song, and it launches in November of 2021 (in time for holidays and black friday console discounts) it's not entirely out of the question of a marathon (pardon the pun) rebuild/reboot of the campaign.

I would not wish what 343I is about to go through on my worst enemy.
The Halo franchise is cursed to endless crunch and arduous development cycles.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Damn, big moves from Microsoft here. Fire off that Halo Array Joe! Get the old Bungie gang back together and get that studio back ok track!

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
These arrivals don't necessarily mean that game will release in Fall 2021 or 2022.

Not the same game, not the same people, not the same era, but Rod's joining Irrational in late development of Bioshock Infinite actually helped to release it on time after the delay.

www.eurogamer.net

Rod Fergusson, the "Closer" who helped get BioShock Infinite out the door, is leaving Irrational

UPDATE: Ex-Gears of War and BioShock Infinite producer Rod Fergusson tweeted that he'll be heading up a new studio for …

Hopefully it's not a repeat of that. Rod got the game out the door, but that studio doesn't exist anymore and we haven't had a Bioshock game ever since.

Staten could have the same task that Rod had - Just get the game out the door.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If we pencil in the possibility of it launching in November of 2021 (in time for holidays and black friday console discounts) and barely running as Xbox One's swansong (think Wii U BOTW) it's not entirely out of the question of a marathon (pardon the pun) rebuild/reboot of the campaign.

Bungie remade Halo 2 in 9 months actually.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Can he send toxic players in mp to the gulags?

Oct 27, 2017
I like Joe. He's the voice of the original Grunts and I liked the way Halo 2 dove into the Covenant hierarchy.

However, I worry he was a driving force behind the Chief / Cortana relationship in Halo 3 that bogged down the characters in subsequent games.

Still, if anyone was going to be helping point Halo's story and lore in the right direction he's the first person I'd bring on board.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn my hype went from 100% to 0% reading the last page. What could he do for the campaign at this point? lol. Feels like PR move.

Uzupedro

May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

If we pencil in the possibility of it launching in November of 2021 (in time for holidays and black friday console discounts) and barely running as Xbox One's swansong (think Wii U BOTW) it's not entirely out of the question of a marathon (pardon the pun) rebuild/reboot of the campaign.

Game dev changed a lot since then, god help 343 if they are going to remade anything in this game.