• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Still not interested in the game, and I don't expect this to change as long as Rowling is involved at all...

...But if this game becomes a major force for trans positivity then I am absolutely going to enjoy that aspect from a distance. There's not enough trans inclusion in mainstream videogames anyway, *and* it will likely annoy the TERFs. This is good news! I'll take what I can get. Hopefully this is a trend that continues into other games that I feel up to supporting.

Oct 27, 2017
Think of it like this:

You know how conservative owners sell LGBTQI+ merchs and features in their stores/games? This is basically that. It is profit at the end of the day and those people wouldn't mind profiting out of people they want to oppress.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
There are no pre-orders opened so far

I don't know if the poster is talking about this, but many companies have analytics teams that estimates the trends/projections of sales of the product... Starting from pre orders until a year or two in the market.

One of the inputs for these analysis is social media data. But so far that indicates very strong sales

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I don't know if the poster is talking about this, but many companies have analytics teams that estimates the trends/projections of sales of the product... Starting from pre orders until a year or two in the market.

One of the inputs for these analysis is social media data. But so far that indicates very strong sales

If they are using social media buzz, then HL is absolutely going to be a multi-million seller then.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Smart to leak this, because WB is going to look even shittier if they cut the feature between now and release

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Obviously. Your parents might be bigots but they're not actively campaigning and funding anti-trans messaging or groups.

Of course! It just feels like every piece of media i consume is worth boycotting for one reason or another :/

Personally, it feels like I need to take an all or nothing approach to stay sane. I can't just boycott Rowling while also buying shoes that were made by exploited workers, or watching a TV show funded by racist millionaires. I just have a hard time parsing that line when it comes to this stuff.

Fuck Rowling and fuck anti-trans bigotry.

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing about the article implies that this is a recent change.

The article does suggest that management was resistant to the changes proposed by the development staff. Why they changed their minds and when is anyone's guess but I can be certain that they are not stupid and know what direction the air is blowing.

Like I said, it's such a small change that gets people off their backs.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a start at least.

They need to go further though — the lead dev hasn't faced any consequences for his abhorrent videos on YouTube.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I'd be surprised if Rowling allows this. It's likely that her minimal involvement in the game and the fact that this is leaked info will stop her from finding out about this but who knows.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure the creator of Harry Potter will have something to say about this. With that said this is great news

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good move and all but it still doesn't stop signal boosting JK from profiting off the game. Still a no buy for me

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
So JK Rowling can continue to make money through fake progressiveness.

Kudos to the devs for pushing the idea, though. If this game is going to exist, then at least it's doing something right in regards to representation.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It is nice to see that there are folk there that care enough to push back, but ultimately JKR is still profiting massively from the game, and -- outside of a miraculous change of heart -- will almost certainly use that profit to harm the trans community. So the game is still a no, personally.

The most I would hope for from this is that trans-inclusive character creation becomes the norm.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
On one hand, more games need to allow transgender characters to be created and I applaud the members of the development team that brought this up and got it into the game.

On my other hand, and on both of my feet, an avalanche of cinder blocks reminding me that JK Rowling will still make money from this game and will probably just grow increasingly vocal and vulgar in her transphobic views so fucking ouch.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
If it were any other studio... I'd be happy for this.
But this sounds so much like a PR move (considering now the leads are fine with it, after all the stuff that happened), I almost thought Avalanche was an Ubisoft studio.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This kind of shit is why I'm sceptical of the value of representation in fiction. Especially when it comes from others.
Representation can have a positive influence regardless of the creator's intentions or beliefs, especially for the huge number of people who consume the media but probably know nothing about the creator as a person. I know it doesn't feel great, and it can easily be construed as a cynical ploy by the creator rather than genuine "goodness" but the social influence component is still there and matters. Frequent, positive representations will still change attitudes and normalize diversity, gradually, over time, on average.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
I'm worried they people will use this an excuse to be like "look, she isn't transphobic. She allowed trans people in a Harry Potter game"

Oct 30, 2017
I'd be surprised if Rowling allows this. It's likely that her minimal involvement in the game and the fact that this is leaked info will stop her from finding out about this but who knows.
She has sold the rights to the IP to every Tom, Dick, and Harry imaginable and let's just say her quality of control is lacking. She likely is oblivious to it or simply won't care.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Make JK Rowling donate all her profits made from this game to the 'National Center for Transgender Equality' and we'll call it even... for now.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
lol

(please don't consider this a drive-by post - this is my actual reaction and I don't have more to add than that)

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this doesn't change anything really.

I guess the devs are seriously considering the backlash, at least. Their futures are on the line, after all.
It must suck to be a developer working on this. This game has def been in development since before all of the JK TERF stuff started happening. Imagine all of that hard work being tainted by the person behind the universe being such a horrid person.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The article does suggest that management was resistant to the changes proposed by the development staff. Why they changed their minds and when is anyone's guess but I can be certain that they are not stupid and know what direction the air is blowing.

Like I said, it's such a small change that gets people off their backs.
Again, something like this isn't a small change. Given the state of the video game industry's workforce in general I can't imagine that the majority of the dev team working on conservatives who agree with JK Rowling's views.

I'm like, 1000% sure she has very little if any say when it comes to what goes into this game. This isn't akin to Disney SW project where they need to run ideas by her 24/7 and she gets final approval. She's likely had minimal to zero amount of input and can't magically veto any decisions.

All that said, the following sums up my feelings on the matter:
Good on the devs for pushing to be as inclusive as they can, bit I still don't feel comfortable purchasing this when I know the money is going to JK

Last edited:

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good for the trans kids that end up buying this but I'm not supporting all of the horrid people profiting from this

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The most I would hope for from this is that trans-inclusive character creation becomes the norm.

Yeah, I expect more character creators to separate out gender identity/body type/voice type etc. That's something that should be doable and is a relatively easy nod to representation for companies to take. It'd certainly be welcome too!

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Knowing that Rowling is probably furious somewhere is a comforting thought at least

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Giving money to jk rowling to own the transphobes.
instant_karma_is_the_best_karma_20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.