• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is Cyberpunk 2077 coming?

• Still 2019 - it’s been in development for years!

Votes: 35 2.7%
  • Q1 2020 - skip the holidays

Votes: 38 2.9%
  • Q2 2020 - Spring release like Witcher 3

Votes: 362 28.0%
  • Q3 2020 - summer to beat next gen holiday rush

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • Holiday 2020 - Simultaneous release on current & next gen

Votes: 519 40.1%
  • 2021 (or later) - Let this thing cook

Votes: 245 18.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
2021 at the absolute outside earliest. Anyone who thought this was 2019 was on another planet.

I'm inclined to agree with people who are suggesting a release sometime in mid 2020, giving it a few months to breathe on current platforms, before they announce an improved version for next gen.

Hard disagree. Next gen will not require updated/separate versions, IMO. It will work like turning up the settings on a PC game.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
If that's the case, I'll wait for the next generation console version. No way am I playing that game on current gen consoles. It looks good now sure, but just imagine how amazing it'll look on the next systems.

giphy.gif

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Let's be patient, I don't expect any more trailer since I saw the Russian trailer. It will be difficult to do better.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a little surprised that anybody would realistically believe that it would be out this year. Even with the trailer, considering the scope is going for and the fact that it didn't seem to really enter into full production until Witcher 3 is out, there's a lot of game that has to be built.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will release in 2020 but be riddled with bugs, so 2021 after an year of patches is when the game comes out of beta

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I don't believe it. Its got 2019 written all over it. Same as TLOU 2.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
My belief is that Fall 2020 would be the perfect time to release Cyberpunk. The new generation of consoles will be releasing at that point and people want to buy a game that will show off their new expensive purchase.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised we don't have more 20/7/7 believers. People really seem to think it's coming holiday. I don't see it
There's more reason to believe they'll release the title alongside or close enough to next gen console release dates as a cross gen title than to release it in the summer, a time period already notorious for big companies to avoid their release like the plague. Do you really think CDPR is going to release their biggest title then just for a gimmick?

And hey if I end up eating crow it'll be to my benefit anyways sincd I'm getting this on pc so it doesn't matter to me if cross gen or not.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Late 2020 at the very earliest. A game like this can't afford to deal with "the trailer lied!!!!" buzz off the bat. Needs a ton of polish

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thing's not coming out for a while, and that's okay. At the earliest, it might be in the second half of next year.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Late 2020 at the very earliest. A game like this can't afford to deal with "the trailer lied!!!!" buzz off the bat. Needs a ton of polish

At this point what AAA production don't need deal with that shit? Puddle moved and lightning changed between two SpiderMan trailers and people went fucking bananas.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
At this point what AAA production don't need deal with that shit? Puddle moved and lightning changed between two SpiderMan trailers and people went fucking bananas.

I don't think we'll ever move past it. Media discourse (and not just games) is fucking toxic with no real concept of artistry. Comic book movies, Death Stranding, Game of Thrones, every single new game that dared to release a trailer.......... criticism is more based around narrative and jokes than actual product. Like, Anthem and Fallout 76 were shitshows, but the current state of criticism is driven by youtubers who are monetizing the fact that a video titled like "10 hour breakdown of why Anthem is A BUNCHA BULLSHIT" will get way more hits than a "Anthem has some major issues and does some things well".

It's not only in the negative light either. If a game basically checks the typical boxes of technical stuff (ie no major issues with a PC port, framerate, etc) you can get lavish praise without the game being much good at all. And all of these points are only parroted by people who have no idea how a game's marketing is put together, or why a "bullshot" might exist.

I was literally just listening to a Castle Superbest episode where one of the hosts said "this CONFIRMS that this developer lied about this and actually this was happening behind the scenes!!!" except I was actually working at that developer and on that particular game and he was 100% incorrect. But people eat that stuff up.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
7 years this month since it was announced. What were they thinking?

Either way I'll play it at launch. Any game with that much development time has to be worth it in some way.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Summer to Winter 2020 the EARLIEST. Possibly Spring 2021 title.

I have been saying this since E3 2018 considering how far along they were and how they weren't even sure about several features that were still a WIP.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Back in December/January I would have sworn that Cyberpunk comes out this Fall and Death Stranding/Last of Us 2 comes out in 2020. Now it's looking like the opposite.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I know they took people off the game for Witcher 3 DLC. Did the DLC take long? I don't remember.

If I remember right CDPR heads have stated that large majority of studio moved to CP77 only after Blood & Wine was wrapped up. Large amounts of people were tied to TW3 post-release support (patches and DLCs) for long time.

CP77 has been in full production by full force of CDPR for 3-ish years now.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
If I remember right CDPR heads have stated that large majority of studio moved to CP77 only after Blood & Wine was wrapped up. Large amounts of people were tied to TW3 post-release support (patches and DLCs) for long time.

CP77 has been in full production by full force of CDPR for 3-ish years now.
Okay then 3ish years. That definitely puts my expectations in check. I didn't really think it was 7 anyway since I knew about the Witcher 3 stuff but that's like half. I'm sure it will still be awesome though.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine, there are plenty of good games coming this year, and still so many from the past 2 or 3 years that I have yet to play.

Take your time CDPR

(So I can save up to build a new PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.