Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
My friend is visiting Japan tomorrow, and she's been asking me for tips for months. Today, she asked about recommendations for "treats." I decided to write up way too much, so I'm just gonna share that with you now. I don't live in Japan right now, so I'm sure I'm forgetting a number of things I loved to eat. Anyway.

I don't have the biggest sweet tooth, but! I probably like Japanese sweets more. I mostly like chocolate, ice cream, and doughnuts. I'll eat anything matcha flavored, though. Absolutely love it.

Let's go down a list.
Sweet

Dorayaki
Two castella pancakes with anko and usually whipped cream between them. Very tasty.

414_dorayaki_pancake.jpg

Melon pan
It doesn't taste like melon. It's a sweet bread with a thick consistency. Usually, there's visible sugar on top. Sometimes, you can find them stuffed with cream, and those are great.
Melonpan.jpg

Daifuku
Mochi with sweet fillings. Mm. Traditional flavor.
1200px-Daifuku_1.jpg

Kit Kats!
In Japan, Kit Kats get tons of crazy flavors, so just buy anything you see that sounds good. haha. The matcha ones are good, but you can get those in America. I have a friend who's made a list of all the flavors he's tried, and he ranks them. I think he's done over 50! I've probably had 20 or so? No clue. The wasabi ones are terrible.
71ceQrK6GZL._SL1478_.jpg

Tokyo Banana
Usually sold in points of departure (airports, Tokyo station) in Tokyo. Delicious. They're like Japanese, higher quality twinkies. Original is okay, but the pudding one, I think? Is very good. These are popular souvenirs among Japanese people when they visit Tokyo.
main_slide01_pc.jpg

Takinoko no Sato/Kinoko no Yama
It's all personal preference which you like (both are pictured below), based on the ratio of ingredients, but I think these are pretty much just superior pocky. They have different flavors, so pick 'em up if you fancy. I recall participating in a Splatoon 1 event in which people were competing to decide which was superior. I go back and forth, personally, so I'm a traitor.
jsnacks-1024x768.jpg

Crepes
Huh? That's not Japanese!!! Yeah, but in some parts of Tokyo, they're pretty common. Prices in Shibuya (especially Harajuku) are insane, so maybe avoid buying them there. They're not worth it in that area, in my experience.
a0000446_parts_57b66dc53cad6.jpg

Ice Cream
31 (called Baskin-Robbins in the states) is pretty popular in Japan, but I really like the seasonal Häagen-Dazs ice cream flavors you can get at grocery stores and convenience stores. The matcha one is one of my favorite desserts of all time. I used to buy one with my weekly groceries, because I have no restraint. The shell is made of chocolate/matcha, and it has a really thick matcha flavor. I love how intense it is. Delicious. There are local ice cream shops, like anywhere, so try some weird, local flavors!
green-tea.jpg

Savory

Takoyaki
You're already aware of this, but best to get these at a place in Osaka. If you're in a not-too-touristy area, and you see people lined up at a stall, get in line. It's probably great.
quick-and-easy-takoyaki-ft-1.jpg

Umaibo
Kinda sweet and kinda savory. An oldschool Japanese treat. Cheap as fuck. I never buy them, but when Japanese friends offered them to me, I couldn't resist. The texture is kinda like a giant cheeto? They have various flavors.
NJ-blog-02_1024x1024.jpg

Chips
Japanese chips kinda suck, unless you like chips with subtle flavor. I like like these stinky pizza chips that I only buy when I hate myself. Y'know what? Just eat better stuff.
pizzapotato.jpg

Japanese bakeries are truly your best bet whenever you want a snack. There's amazing stuff to find here:

Curry Pan (bread)
Deep fried bread with Japanese-style curry inside. Fried things hurt my stomach, but I still eat these...
a-must-see-for-bread-lovers-top-10--600x399-20141125-8.jpg

Korokke (croquette)
Deep fried with potato and sometimes meat inside. These can typically be found at convenience stores, too.
Korokke.jpg

Yakisoba Pan
Why is there an eldritch creature in my sandwich? Well, it's actually not bad!
a-must-see-for-bread-lovers-top-10--600x450-20141125-7.jpg

What Japanese snacks do you like, Era?

Edit: If you say konbini oden, we're not friends.

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Japanese candy is pretty good, but you've listed almost all the ones I've tried. I can't remember how many flavours of kitkat I've tried now.

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I have a ranked Kit Kat list too. Other than matcha, my favourite flavours are hojicha, mint chocolate, raspberry, chestnut, and sakura & roasted soybean. Sublime Ruby from the Kit Kat chocolatory is pretty great too, much better than the European ruby Kit Kats.

I miss good mochi.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Japanese sweets mostly suck tbh. It's the worst part of their gastronomy by far.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
KATSU SANDWICHES. EAT THEM ALL. The more hole in the wall the place that makes them is, the better.

ba25-katsu.jpg

Also, goma dango/sesame balls should be available at every corner bakery.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
no mention of Pocky sticks or are we ignoring them because you can easily get them outside of japan?

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
no mention of Pocky sticks or are we ignoring them because you can easily get them outside of japan?
Yeah, mostly ignoring stuff that can be easily purchased in America... but I also just don't think they're that remarkable. I did mention Pocky, though, in that takinoko no sato/kinoko no yama are better, in my opinion.
KATSU SANDWICHES. EAT THEM ALL. The more hole in the wall the place that makes them is, the better.
Reminds me that I used to eat that at a place in Akebonobashi that my friend and I dubbed "grease hole." It was very hole-in-the-wall. haha

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up with Yakult and fish sausage. The ones wrapped with metal rings on each end. Maybe a classic gari gari popsicle.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Reminds me that I used to eat that at a place in Akebonobashi that my friend and I dubbed "grease hole." It was very hole-in-the-wall. haha

There's a great little literal hole in the wall shop near Nishi-Nippori station that makes a killer katsu sandwich. White bread. Pork katsu. Cabbage. Bulldog sauce. Wasabi. The guy opens early in the morning and sells them to people heading to work and then closes when he's sold out. I got lucky and found it while out on an early morning run back in 2014. He was still there this past November so I'm guessing he still is now.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I'll second the yatsuhashi. There's this one store in Kyoto that actually makes the dough into cute little animals and things. Too bad they go bad super fast, so it's not really something you can bring back home from a trip.

I also like the sorbet shaped like grapes you can get in combini. Better off tossing a few of those in your drink than the lousy flavoring in Strong Zero.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo banana is Great.

- choux cream like beard papa - like a big profiterole with custard/sweetened cream inside.
- pudding. Fuck me, pudding. Eat all of them to find a favourite. I actually don't like the caramel sauce but love the pudding part. Some are more creamy, others are fresher and more milky.
- Katsu Sando (tonkatsu sandwich) - white bread with no crusts (like all Japanese sandwiches ).
- strawberry sandwich with cream.
- dried chicken ramen. Like crisps/chips in the snack section of supermarket. Often in a ribbon multipack with several mini packets. You can get thin individual dried strands in a bag, or larger ribbon strips. Both are nice
- hi-chew. flavour is personal, I like grape but my kids like pineapple and Apple
- all raisin. Kinda like garibaldi biscuits in the uk. Soft biscuit (cookie) with lots of raisins
- ramune - super cheap little blue bottles with pill-like sugar sweets. they're Very simple and plain with a slight fizzy flavour, but it's the way they're powdery and melt on your tongue that I love

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I actually can't stand western flavored mochi. Gotta get good old red bean filling.

Also where the dango at?

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
The red chicken from Lawson stores are amazinggg. A perfect snack for when you're hungry but not hungry enough for a full meal.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Should probably mention karaage, too. Lawson/7-11/conbini stuff is fine but if there's a festival with food stands then get it there. My daughter could live on that stuff if we let her.

durrrklin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Best Coast
The Matcha Yokan Shimmidori is probably my favorite. I just love how subtle and delicate it is.

101203_1.jpg

I can't think of anything that hits the same notes as these sweets.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Green tea Kit Kats have no business being this good. I'm addicted to them and their availability in Canada is dangerous for me. 😳

I love mochis, the best mochis I ever had were some freshly-made on the spot daifukus in Kyoto, sooo good and cheap that we went back for more.

Takoyaki are nice too but PSA: they are blazing hot, be careful. The filling inside is runny and burning so take your sweet time before eating them or you will suffer. I've had them in Japanese restaurants in Canada before, so I thought I knew what to expect, but the ones I had in Osaka was brutal. Probably my first "culture shock" moment in Japan lol...

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
instead of making a thread i'm just going to piggy back off this one

me and my gf are going to japan next march/april and splitting time in tokyo and kyoto. we want to spend a night someplace between the two cities for a night and we're looking for a beautiful, serene kind of place to stay. any recommendations?

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
All of it. Had a local japanese store in Madison for the first time since coming back from studying in Osaka. Had everything from can coffee to takenoko no sato to alfort bourbon cookies. Outside of that/in terms of cooked things, I loved their packaged hot dogs/sandwiches, takoyaki, okonomiyaki, and taiyaki/dorayaki. Whipped up a batch of dorayaki awhile ago that was fine but didn't have the whipped cream in it. Debating getting a taiyaki pan so I can get my fix now and then since it's really hard to find fresh made taiyaki here.

Anyone missing taiyaki should check out taiyaki NYC. Haven't checked it out since I don't live near one, but a taiyaki cone with soft serve ice cream that looks killer.

edit: also one last sweet was um. Layered ice cream? There's a name for it that I think is french and I can't remember, but was basically layered soft serve w/ cereal and fruits and whip cream. Used to get it all the time for lunch.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big fan of takoyaki and mochi. I hope to find a place that sells yakisoba pan. I've wanted to try it for a while and that green tea crumble looks like something my girlfriend would like

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Soft cream, any flavor. Something about it makes it creamier than soft serve in the states.