Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the prison conditions.

Solitary is very bad and should be outlawed worldwide.

Right, so both the death penalty and solitary confinement are very bad and should be outlawed worldwide... so what's the solution to violent criminals that absolutely must not be allowed near inmates that actually want to rehabilitate?

At some point you do have to acknowledge that other inmates in prison have rights too, like the right not to be murdered by a serial killer - and don't act like this isn't an issue, either, because homicides in prison aren't uncommon and serial killers like this guy are at a higher risk of killing again. Besides, what are you gonna do? Put them in prison?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Right, so both the death penalty and solitary confinement are very bad and should be outlawed worldwide... so what's the solution to violent criminals that absolutely must not be allowed near inmates that actually want to rehabilitate?

At some point you do have to acknowledge that other inmates in prison have rights too, like the right not to be murdered by a serial killer - and don't act like this isn't an issue, either, because homicides in prison aren't uncommon and serial killers like this guy are at a higher risk of killing again. Besides, what are you gonna do? Put them in prison?
Prison is fine.

Taking a life is completely different than life in prison. I'm not too familiar with carceral life, but you can't you still live in prison?

Prisons are not medieval dungeons, guys.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prison is fine.

Taking a life is completely different than life in prison. I'm not too familiar with carceral life, but you can't you still live in prison?

Prisons are not medieval dungeons, guys.

Right, so you just totally ignored what I posted. Good to know you handwave things you have no answer for and that you put the rights of serial killers like this guy above the rights of everyone else.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Right, so you just totally ignored what I posted. Good to know you handwave things you have no answer for and that you put the rights of serial killers like this guy above the rights of everyone else.
No. I did not ignore it. But this is where maxiumum security prisons exists. This is why prison guards exist. This is why contraband is consficated.

How many murderers are in prison and never kill again because the prison has adequate controls to protect inmates?

But you're just spouting what ifs like prison don't have a process for these things.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I was just about to post about that, actually. For many people here, including you I assume, the death penalty should not be a thing under any circumstances and you clearly don't believe in "state sanctioned torture" either.

So then what? You can't put him in a mental hospital because he'd be a danger to the patients there. You can't put him in prison because he'd be a danger to the inmates and, even more than that, it's unfair to the people in prison who actually want to reform and improve their lives.

Prison, after all, should only exist to help people who have committed crimes to rehabilitate, so what do you do with people who have committed terrible, violent crimes but cannot or will not be rehabilitated?

For how long will you put the rights of a gleeful serial killer above the rights of everyone else?

Ideally, people who have committed crimes like these wouldn't be allowed to freely walk around without supervision, they'd be under surveillance if they interact with the inmate population, or have different hours to use outside facilities.
Of course, inmates who want to rehab shouldn't be exposed to people who don't, but the answer isn't death or 24-hour confinement, it's that adequate protection should be put in place within prisons.

I've seen you parrot this 'rights of a killer over everyone else' in follow-up posts too and I wanna make this very clear: This guy breached fundamental rights by killing people. This does not make it justifiable to take his away. I'm not putting his rights above others, I'm just not putting them below.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
WTF is wrong with those lawyers. I know that most of the time the killer's lawyer must defend the indefensible, but couldnt they find a better argument?

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
non-sequitur. are we discussing national defense?
It's probably not the best analogy though I don't understand the moral high ground or objections taken against the execution of proven criminals when there hundreds of thousands have been murdered by armies worldwide. The vast majority of the US population holds soldiers in very high regard and it's extremely perplexing.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. I did not ignore it. But this is where maxiumum security prisons exists. This is why prison guards exist. This is why contraband is consficated.

How many murderers are in prison and never kill again because the prison has adequate controls to protect inmates?

But you're just spouting what ifs like prison don't have a process for these things.

How many people still die in prison despite these adequate controls and processes designed to protect inmates? A quick search online tells you nearly five thousand people died in prison in America in 2014 alone and that number has continued to grow. A lot of those deaths were indeed homicides as well.

This is a Japanese serial killer, though, and so we must examine it from the perspective of their own penal system which, I'm sure, is not up to your standards either. Not only are there no maximum security prisons in Japan, we have first hand accounts of Japanese prison guards beating and suffocating inmates for not cooperating or following orders and we know that inmates usually share a cell with many others and that no distinction is made regarding the severity of your crime - a petty thief can absolutely share a cell with a yakuza that is imprisoned for murder.

So you're totally fine with putting a serial killer in a room with up to eleven other inmates and, if any of them are killed, all you'll offer is an apology?

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
How many people still die in prison despite these adequate controls and processes designed to protect inmates? A quick search online tells you nearly five thousand people died in prison in America in 2014 alone and that number has continued to grow. A lot of those deaths were indeed homicides as well.

This is a Japanese serial killer, though, and so we must examine it from the perspective of their own penal system which, I'm sure, is not up to your standards either. Not only are there no maximum security prisons in Japan, we have first hand accounts of Japanese prison guards beating and suffocating inmates for not cooperating or following orders and we know that inmates usually share a cell with many others and that no distinction is made regarding the severity of your crime - a petty thief can absolutely share a cell with a yakuza that is imprisoned for murder.

So you're totally fine with putting a serial killer in a room with up to eleven other inmates and, if any of them are killed, all you'll offer is an apology?
I don't disagree that prison need reform. They're awful. I hate the prison industrial complex. I'd love to learn more about them next year. I've read some, but I'm still learning about it.

But the death penally, at least in the US, is incredibly racist. It's problematic nature has been discussed and documented for decades.

Yes, we need to make prison safer. Not just homicides mind you. Prisons are notorious for high sexual assault as well.

Last edited:

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Why does anyone should have faith for the system to rehabilitate monsters if the system fail to judge the monster correctly? Why the paranoia against death sentence?

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Why does anyone should have faith for the system to rehabilitate monsters if the system fail to judge the monster correctly? Why the paranoia against death sentence?
A serial killer at his age won't get rehabilitated. No one is arguing that. We're arguing against the death penalty.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree that prison need reform. They're awful. I hate the prison industrial complex. I'd love to learn more about next year. I've read some, but I'm still learning about it.

But the death penally, at least in the US, is incredibly racist. It's problematic nature has been discussed and documented for decades.

Yes, we need to make prison safer. Not just homicides mind you. Prisons are notorious for high sexual assault as well.

So you have no answers and simply wish to reiterate that you morally object to the death penalty, or any kind of severe punishment really, for a guy that sexually assaulted, murdered and dismembered eight women and a man, at least one of which was as young as fifteen.

Geeze we should just abolish the prison system entirely and tell folks like this guy that if they do stuff like this we won't actually do anything about it.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
So you have no answers and simply wish to reiterate that you morally object to the death penalty, or any kind of severe punishment really, for a guy that sexually assaulted, murdered and dismembered eight women and a man, at least one of which was as young as fifteen.
The crime deserves death, but I'm against the state sanctioning it. I can write on essay on this, but I'm about to workout.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a few quick reasons, courtesy of Amnesty International:
It is irreversible and mistakes happen. Execution is the ultimate, irrevocable punishment: the risk of executing an innocent person can never be eliminated. Since 1973, for example, more than 160 prisoners sent to death row in the USA have later been exonerated or released from death row on grounds of innocence. Others have been executed despite serious doubts about their guilt.

It does not deter crime. Countries who execute commonly cite the death penalty as a way to deter people from committing crime. This claim has been repeatedly discredited, and there is no evidence that the death penalty is any more effective in reducing crime than life imprisonment.

It is often used within skewed justice systems. In many cases recorded by Amnesty International, people were executed after being convicted in grossly unfair trials, on the basis of torture-tainted evidence and with inadequate legal representation. In some countries death sentences are imposed as the mandatory punishment for certain offences, meaning that judges are not able to consider the circumstances of the crime or of the defendant before sentencing.

It is discriminatory. The weight of the death penalty is disproportionally carried by those with less advantaged socio-economic backgrounds or belonging to a racial, ethnic or religious minority. This includes having limited access to legal representation, for example, or being at greater disadvantage in their experience of the criminal justice system.

It is used as a political tool. The authorities in some countries, for example Iran and Sudan, use the death penalty to punish political opponents.
Amnesty International holds that the death penalty breaches human rights, in particular the right to life and the right to live free from torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. Both rights are protected under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted by the UN in 1948.
Death penalty is wrong. I'd recommend anyone who actually supports it to at least read this short pdf document (from Amnesty International again): https://www.amnesty.org/download/Documents/56000/act510022007en.pdf. It does a good job of breifly and passionately explaining why the death penalty is wrong.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Good riddance. Personally, I am against death penalty against the worst of monsters. Not because I am some paragon of righteousness, however. Aside from the probability of killing a wrongly convicted person (for whom there may be hope for release one day), for the right ones, it is about punishment that they must endure as comeuppance for the rest of their natural lives.

I do not know how the families of victims feel but I hope they can eventually move on after the piece of shit is gone for good.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The crime deserves death, but I'm against the state sanctioning it. I can write on essay on this, but I'm about to workout.

Then aren't you merely proving my original point that only opposing the death penalty because it sometimes means innocent people are executed is a flimsy excuse? You clearly have no problem with the right people being executed if that's the case and this guy freely admits to his crimes, clearly enjoyed doing it and shows no remorse at all.

In that case, there's no reason at all for you to object to his execution except to morally grandstand rather than directly address this case.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
You clearly have no problem with the right people being executed if that's the case and this guy freely admits to his crimes, clearly enjoyed doing it and shows no remorse at all.
Where do you draw the line between a genuine and a false confession in a country where coerced confessions are rampant in its legal system? What's the acceptable collateral, and why is the murder of the people who end up being falsely convicted less heinous? You do not need to lose any sleep over this person being executed and still be able to see why a death penalty is a bad idea. It's a quick fix that does not address the needed reform in the prison system.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Then aren't you merely proving my original point that only opposing the death penalty because it sometimes means innocent people are executed is a flimsy excuse? You clearly have no problem with the right people being executed if that's the case and this guy freely admits to his crimes, clearly enjoyed doing it and shows no remorse at all.

In that case, there's no reason at all for you to object to his execution except to morally grandstand rather than directly address this case.
Not at all. I"m looking at this problem systematically. You're focusing on one case. It's a criminal justice system. You don't advocate for change on a case by case basis.

He's a spawn of hell. I agree with that. But this is not how you deal with injustice.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japan has an absurdly high conviction rate and the Japanese criminal justice system is ruthless and a human rights abuse. Dude is probably happy he's being put to death so he doesn't have to deal with it anymore.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Japan has an absurdly high conviction rate and the Japanese criminal justice system is ruthless and a human rights abuse. Dude is probably happy he's being put to death so he doesn't have to deal with it anymore.

excpet he will have to deal with it, japan doesn't tell you when you're gonna be executed at all, and you could spend 30 years in jail before it happens

shit sucks

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. I"m looking at this problem systematically. You're focusing on one case. It's a criminal justice system. You don't advocate for change on a case by case basis.

He's a spawn of hell. I agree with that. But this is not how you deal with injustice.
Yep. Even if you think this guy does genuinely deserve death (I'm genuinely not convinced this is the case even despite his crime since the standard of criminal justice should be about reducing harm so any punishment that goes beyond what is necessary for that is kind of fucked up) and that the evidence against him is sufficient, by allowing it in this case you perpetuate a system that can and will be used against innocent people

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a few quick reasons, courtesy of Amnesty International:

Death penalty is wrong. I'd recommend anyone who actually supports it to at least read this short pdf document (from Amnesty International again): https://www.amnesty.org/download/Documents/56000/act510022007en.pdf. It does a good job of breifly and passionately explaining why the death penalty is wrong.
I think this subject it's extremely delicate, the justice system of every country is faulty, no matter how much they try not to, they are going to kill somebody innocent some day and ain't no fixing that, so it's better to prevent an unfixable choice.

People are people, no matter where are you from, you have a bias, and if the whole system has one, the amount of problems that brings is too much.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Im not entirely in favor of the death sentence mainly for the fact that innocent people have been executed. But I also believe that if there is no doubt that said individual committed this horrendous crime such as in this case, they don't need to exist anymore and im ok with it.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont really understand where this level of faith comes from, the idea that justice systems are relatively infallable when doling out appropiate punishments to random people you're not close to. I guess life is just a lot less complex that way lmao

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I can't understand how people are fine giving the power of killing to the government.

So now his right to a free life is forfeit. I'm about 99% against the death penalty but when the crime is this heinous and there almost zero doubt of who commited it, I'm ok with it

"An eye for an eye" is ancient. There's a reason most progressive countries are done with death penalty.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
I am honestly shocked to see so many people here arguing for the death penalty, seems completely out of line with what this forum tries to eb

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont really understand where this level of faith comes from, the idea that justice systems are relatively infallable when doling out appropiate punishments to random people you're not close to. I guess life is just a lot less complex that way lmao
It's easy to bask in the schaudenfraude of seeing someone you percieve as a bad person (whether rightly or wrongly) be punished harshly, actually considering the societal implications or knock on effects of such punishments or how they might be being used to distract from larger systemic changes that need to be made is harder and less fun

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I hope his victims and family find peace as best they can. I'd hate to be in their shoes, so I hope they get the support/therapy they need.

Sad to see more remorse for the serial killer than the victim in a lot of posts here though.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I am honestly shocked to see so many people here arguing for the death penalty, seems completely out of line with what this forum tries to eb
I get the reasoning.

This man's acts are so abhorrent that who will miss the guy.

But this type of thinking is motivated by emotion not reason. It's the same reason why bail reform has such strong opposition in the US. One case blows up and then you have the media stirring up a storm of going back to the status quo. Again, based on emotionalism, not looking at equitable outcomes systemically.

There will never be a perfect system. But system can be made more fair.

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not in favor of the death penalty and would like to see it abolished because even one innocent person dying is too many. However, when serial killers are sentenced...yeah, it's hard for me to get worked up about them being put to death.

Either way, I hope the family of his victims find peace and comfort and the support they need.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are people really claiming that he can be rehabilitated? This is a quote from the man himself: "I am sorry only because I failed when I got caught. If I wasn't arrested, I will not be regretting anything".

He had no remorse, he would have never stopped killing.

As for the death penalty, the man himself asked for it. I say give it

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I'm shocked as well. Some absolutely ridiculous takes in this thread. It's embarrassing.

The death penalty is wrong, end of story. It's not a delicate issue or something where you can say "99% of the time I'm against it but I'll make an exception this time".

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Are people really claiming that he can be rehabilitated? This is a quote from the man himself: "I am sorry only because I failed when I got caught. If I wasn't arrested, I will not be regretting anything".

He had no remorse, he would have never stopped killing.

As for the death penalty, the man himself asked for it. I say give it
This is a strawman. No one is arguing this. We're arguing against the death penalty. He will still be in prison for life.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
I get the reasoning.

This man's acts are so abhorrent that who will miss the guy.

But this type of thinking is motivated by emotion not reason. It's the same reason why bail reform has such strong opposition in the US. One case blows up and then you have the media stirring up a storm of going back to the status quo. Again, based on emotionalism, not looking at equitable outcomes systemically.

There will never be a perfect system. But system can be made more fair.
I am aware of the reasoning, I would have just expected this place to be able to look at the death penalty as a system and see why it is abhorrent. It feels like standard right-wing talking points to me as it tends to just play at very basic emotions, namely hunger for revange. Maybe my view on that is formed by living and growing up in a country without it.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am aware of the reasoning, I would have just expected this place to be able to look at the death penalty as a system and see why it is abhorrent. It feels like standard right-wing talking points to me as it tends to just play at very basic emotions, namely hunger for revange. Maybe my view on that is formed by living and growing up in a country without it.
ResetERA is a pretty centrist forum sometimes going slightly to the right when contentious issues like this are talked about. Just look at gaming side and the CD Projekt Red defense force.