• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Greenpeace
Mainichi

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Japan has decided to withdraw from the International Whaling Commission in a bid to resume commercial whaling, government sources said Thursday.

However, the country is unlikely to catch whales in the Antarctic Ocean even after its IWC pullout, as the government is mulling allowing Japan's commercial whaling only in seas near Japan as well as the country's exclusive economic zone, the sources added. The decision, which will be announced by the end of this year, comes as pro- and anti-whaling members of the IWC have been stuck in decades of confrontation.
Japan's withdrawal, planned for next year, could spark criticism from European and other countries opposed to the practice of whaling. It is extremely rare for Japan to withdraw from an international organization. The nation's attempts over the last 30 years to resume commercial whaling of relatively abundant species such as minke whales have always been stymied by countries such as Australia and New Zealand.

Most recently, its proposal to ease the IWC's decision-making rules was also voted down in an annual meeting in September, and Tokyo issued a veiled warning of a potential pullout.
While Japan halted commercial whaling in line with a moratorium adopted in 1982 by the IWC, it has hunted whales since 1987 for what it calls "scientific research" purposes. But this has been criticized internationally as a cover for commercial purposes.

Japan also suggested in 2007 that it might withdraw from the IWC, in protest at the ban on commercial whaling, but it was later persuaded by the United States and other countries to remain in the organization.

A renaissance of scientific research is about to begin.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they want to do so much whaling? I don't think its even that popular in Japan at large.

May 21, 2018
I don't know how effective it will be, but when lab-grown meat gets perfected I hope they flood the market with lab whale meat and price these whalers out of their industry.

Oct 26, 2017
Why do they want to do so much whaling? I don't think its even that popular in Japan at large.

CmMkG-9XEAEZ0qw.jpg

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Like why do they want to do it? Is whale meat really that fucking delicious?

The shit with the dolphins was depressing enough.

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
I used to be vehemently opposed to this, but I eat pork and other meat products, so I realized that arbitrarily opposing the consumption of whale meat kinda makes me a hypocrite of sorts. If the whales aren't endangered I can't really oppose it morally. And yes they do eat the meat here in Japan...I'll never try it though; it looks nasty.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I used to be vehemently opposed to this but I eat pork and other meat products so I realized that kinda makes me a hypocrite of sorts. If the whales aren't endangered I can't really oppose it morally. And yes they do eat the meat here in Japan...I'll never try it though; it looks nasty.
But pigs are farmed with sustainable numbers, more than sustainable really, and are (supposed to be) ethically killed.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I used to be vehemently opposed to this, but I eat pork and other meat products, so I realized that arbitrarily opposing the consumption of whale meat kinda makes me a hypocrite of sorts. If the whales aren't endangered I can't really oppose it morally. And yes they do eat the meat here in Japan...I'll never try it though; it looks nasty.
It is nasty apparently. No one I know has ever eaten and liked it.

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
But pigs are farmed with sustainable numbers, more than sustainable really, and are (supposed to be) ethically killed.

Those are fair arguments I think, but the conditions certainly aren't limited to whales right? Something about whales really lights a fire under many people's asses in a more or less irrational way...meanwhile no one is trying to stop tuna fishing boats.

Dhaos

Oct 30, 2017
Iceland and Norway hunts more whales than Japan. Norway hunts more whales than Iceland and Japan combined. "Savages" smh.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand the economics here. The Japanese don't exactly eat a lot of whale meat, how can they both sustain the practice and have enough to bribe officials to do this? They're probably doing something else with it like harvesting ambergris or some shit.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Those are fair arguments I think, but the conditions certainly aren't limited to whales right? Something about whales really lights a fire under many people's asses in a more or less irrational way...meanwhile no one is trying to stop tuna fishing boats.
Tuna is a whole other issue, I don't know why people don't fuss over it because some species are badly overfished and endangered now.
Anyway, fish issues aside, whales are fellow mammals that are quite brutally killed in the wild for apparently very little reason.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

OK. Same thing?

I'm happy for every country to ban meat, let alone specific meat, if their economy and diet can sustain it. And I believe they can. But I'm not sure what a 1940s world war killing civilians to test a military theory and also legitimately stopping a war has to do with this specific right wing government transgression.

Nuking civilians during a dreadful potentially endless war and killing whales to support a business or be edgelords aren't equitable.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
The difference for most is that people actually enjoy eating tuna, even if that means making them extinct. Whale meat isn't really enjoyed in Japan except for old people iirc. They force schools to use whale meat for school lunches since they have so much of it that doesn't get bought in a market is what was brought up another time we had a thread about this.

And yeah, Japan isn't nearly as bad as Norway when it comes to whales.

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
The difference for most is that people actually enjoy eating tuna, even if that means making them extinct. Whale meat isn't really enjoyed in Japan except for old people iirc. They force schools to use whale meat for school lunches since they have so much of it that doesn't get bought in a market is what was brought up another time we had a thread about this.

I see. I'll admit I'm not really well-informed on whale meat consumption in Japan; I just know I see whale meat in the supermarkets, but I've never researched it or anything. If it's going to waste that's obviously a shame.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I thought part of the logic was the level of intelligence in whales and dolphins compared to most other animals.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently living in Tokyo I don't think I've ever heard anyone actively eat whale or even enjoy it.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OK. Same thing?

I'm happy for every country to ban meat, let alone specific meat, if their economy and diet can sustain it. And I believe they can. But I'm not sure what a 1940s world war killing civilians to test a military theory and also legitimately stopping a war has to do with this specific right wing government transgression.

Nuking civilians during a dreadful potentially endless war and killing whales to support a business or be edgelords aren't equitable.
It's from South Park. Look closer at picture. From an episode where the US blame dolphins and whales for the bombing and so on

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Eating farm animals isn't even remotely comparable to the barbaric slaughter of often endangered wild animals.

Oct 28, 2017
Eating farm animals isn't even remotely comparable to the barbaric slaughter of often endangered wild animals.
Is a whale that lives a reasonably long life of freedom which is ended violently really worse off than a pig who lives a short barbaric life in a cage, which is also ended violently?

So many posters are so close to the logical position that we shouldn't be killing whales or farm animals. I support the Animal Rights Center here in Japan who are campaigning to stop both. If this news today upsets you, as it should, please consider donating to them.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Where did the whales hurt you Japan that you must go after them so? No one even likes the meat, there are better sources of food easily available. Why whales? Leave 'em alone!

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess they need that oil for vintage lamps!

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that they think if they cull enough whales and dolphins there will be more fish for fishing.
Bingo. Basically the government want to do away with relying land meat, since Japan lacks suitable farming area (I won't argue that farming can't be done on mountain side, but it would be always cost-effectively inferior to other nations with bigger farmlands). Whether the scientific research about that is reliable or not, they'd to anything to increase Food self-sufficiency rate.
In that regard, when fish-farming becomes the thing (which is coming along rapidly), Japanese push for whale hunting will just continue to diminish.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I see them on the store and they are expensive. I don't think I've seen anybody buy them

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
OK. Same thing?

Take a closer look at the crew with those old man eyes of yours.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Is a whale that lives a reasonably long life of freedom which is ended violently really worse off than a pig who lives a short barbaric life in a cage, which is also ended violently?

So many posters are so close to the logical position that we shouldn't be killing whales or farm animals. I support the Animal Rights Center here in Japan who are campaigning to stop both. If this news today upsets you, as it should, please consider donating to them.
That depends entirely on the kind of farm animal we are talking about. I'm opposed to factory farming and unethical treatment of farm animals as much as I'm opposed to whaling. That doesn't mean that farming in general is on the same level as slaughtering whales and dolphins.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I mean them pretending like they were even following the rules in the first place was more a slap in the face.

Oct 27, 2017
Like why do they want to do it? Is whale meat really that fucking delicious?

I got served it here once as an elementary school lunch and it was pretty good, but it wasn't something you couldn't easily replace with hundreds of more sustainable meats.

It was a special "Let's try a meal from ancient Japan!" lunch day.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people make such a big fuss out of Japan's whaling? Norway, Denmark, Iceland all hunt way more whales than Japan but you never hear anything about them. Nobody in Japan eats whale anyway, it will die out on its own. It's better to just let them do their hunting and let them save face by them ending it on its own, rather than them caving to outside pressure.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Emotionally I'm against whale hunting, but logically, Minke whales aren't endangered, so it's hypocritical to single out Japan for this. If you want to argue that hunting wild animals of any kind should be banned, you might have a stronger argument, but even then, hunting is probably better for the planet, overall, than farming for meat.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I always thought (or "thought to have tead somewhere" to be more specific) that the whaling thing has more to do with national identity/pride and misguided traditions than actual food production and economic demand.
This would fit into the whole nationalistic angle the Government seems to lean in to right now.
If someone is more qualified to talk about this topic and Japan's recent political tendencies, please correct me.