• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I know this franchise is fun to shit on since the first one really does suck, but anyone who likes seeing legitmately NEW stuff should be hyped for Avatar 2. The sci-fi free-diving sea people sign language stuff is unlike any film I can think of. I think the first movie serves as an ok base for all the exciting stuff Cameron is going to do in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Avatar and I want to watch the sequels on the big screen.
Complaining about the first part seems like something people just have to do when it comes up. As if disliking Avatar (and oh so cleverly calling it Dances with Wolves in space) establishes them as true movie lovers.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Are these in 3D? Is he continuing to try to make that happen? Are we going to get companies putting out 3D TVs like they did with the last one?

I think one of these is supposed to be more underwater based?

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Are these in 3D? Is he continuing to try to make that happen? Are we going to get companies putting out 3D TVs like they did with the last one?

I think one of these is supposed to be more underwater based?
These are all in 3D and will see Cameron finally demo how HFR should be used (hint: sparingly and only when appropriate).

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I read the title as "announces all shitting on avatar 2 is complete" and was confused. Surely it couldn't have been over already.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Don't understand why people think this will be what brings people back to theatres when it's over 2 years away. Audiences will have been going to the movies for a while by then.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god. I hate it when movies change aspect ratios willy nilly, nevermind fucking frame rates
It's almost certainly just going to be used during certain action shots. Dialed up and down like he does the 3D to reduce the judder/strobing effect. You shouldn't even notice anything jarring. In fact, he's using it to mitigate the jarring / headache effects of 3D. Otherwise will appear as a 24fps film for the majority of the film.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
No. I'm not the one who suggested it was gonna be the movie to bring people back to cinemas. But you are the one who suggested people will have been back at cinemas for ages by then.
You didn't suggest it, but you did agree with it earlier in this thread.

Most experts and WHO are predicting a vaccine available by mid 2021. Until that changes, that's the timeline I'm going with.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
You didn't suggest it, but you did agree with it earlier in this thread.

Most experts and WHO are predicting a vaccine available by mid 2021. Until that changes, that's the timeline I'm going with.

A vaccine being ready mid 2021 is one thing. A vaccine being mass produced and distributed en masse and being put into enough people so we can all be safe is A WHOLE DIFFERENT THING. That's why I'm counting 2021 and 2022 as years with a lot of corona cases as well. 2023 in when I begin to be optimist.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Did I? I honestly don't remember that. But I do think agree with the sentiment that it will represent an event film that we haven't seen for quite some time.
Hhmmm...maybe I'm thinking of another poster.

I don't doubt that A2 is going to be spectacular. It's Cameron and reading details about the productions shows how ambitious he's being.

As much as I agree with the criticisms against Avatar, Cameron built a really imaginative world that I'm excited to see him build on and expand.

Honestly, the man's proven he's box office gold twice. Wouldn't put it pass him to take back the crown with either A2 or A5.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
If the first movie is any indication, this franchise is going to make like a trillion dollars and nobody will be able to understand why in the subsequent years.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Cameron's basically got a blank check to do whatever the fuck he wants with this franchise.

Regardless of the story's actual quality, it's going to look batshit insane.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Peeps be shitting on Avatar like they shat on titanic, and then decided to eat their shit once it was no longer trendy.

Cameron has hit a home run with every movie save The Abyss, and thats the one the suits got involved with altering. Avatar with its maybe not totally original plot was a film that connected with everyone who saw it. It was a movie with a message, stunning visuals, 3d, and brought to life characters unlike we had really ever seen before. Maybe Davy Jones was the closest thing to date, but even that is nothing like the world and countless characters he put on screen.

Uncle at Nintendo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jan 3, 2018
Return of the King. Avatar 2 will usher in a theater reconnaissance, totally revive the industry, and will gross 4 billion dollars.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Avatar is one of those movies where it was amazing in theatre then lost its luster when I watched it again. But I guess I'll watch part 2 to see tall blue people stick their hair tentacles in everything.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Say what you want about Cameron, even about the simplistic plot of Avatar and that horrible gimmick it helped to create (3D).

But Cameron is a genius and one (if not THE) best directors currently working today, so i'm waiting for these movies with a lot of excitement.

3D is really, really old. And the earliest 3D actually looked great.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not only is Jim a director, but he's a writer for his movies and wears many other hats. He's the only big blockbuster true auteurs left. Lol at people comparing Black Widow and The Eternals to Avatar.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it'll only be two years after Endgame so I dunno about "quite some time" lol.
3.5 years, but I get where you're coming from.

Endgame is a different kind of event film imo. It's not the new film on the block that everybody is suddenly talking about like Jaws or Titanic where the interest is driven by word of mouth.

Everybody who saw Endgame (and that's an enormous 'everybody') was already invested and going to see it. It wasn't a film whose mass attendance was the result of its own crazy word of mouth. It's a film whose crazy box office was the result of films that expertly fed the hype machine leading into it.

It wasn't the same kind of event film that Avatar or Titanic or the original Star Wars was.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
3.5 years, but I get where you're coming from.

Ah, right, the delay.

Endgame is a different kind of event film imo. It's not the new film on the block that everybody is suddenly talking about like Jaws or Titanic where the interest is driven by word of mouth.

Everybody who saw Endgame (and that's an enormous 'everybody') was already invested and going to see it. It wasn't a film whose mass attendance was the result of its own crazy word of mouth. It's a film whose crazy box office was the result of films that expertly fed the hype machine leading into it.

It wasn't the same kind of event film that Avatar or Titanic or the original Star Wars was.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, right, the delay.

True! But I think it would be generous to say that Avatar is riding the same momentum of hype generated by the first film 13 years later.

Certainly it being a known property helps it in some capacity, but the iron isn't even warm when the sequel is striking. If it does become an event film the likes of the first, it will need WOM.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
True! But I think it would be generous to say that Avatar is riding the same momentum of hype generated by the first film 13 years later.

Certainly it being a known property helps it in some capacity, but the iron isn't even warm when the sequel is striking. If it does become an event film the likes of the first, it will need WOM.

I largely agree with that.

I'm in a weird place with Avatar. I agree with others in that it doesn't seem to have the hold on pop culture that other event films did but it will clearly do well but it should be a hit, either way.

I think the success of the Avatar sequels will be one of the most interesting box office stories ever, for better or worse.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for the sequel to come out and for people to tell everyone how much they hate it after seeing four times in the theater.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Is Cameron ever going to give us the 4K of the original? I haven't seen it since it was in theatres and at this point I'm just waiting on the UHD.
Oh god. I hate it when movies change aspect ratios willy nilly, nevermind fucking frame rates
Utilizing with different framerates has been a tool used in film since literally the very beginning of the medium when cameras were hand-cranked. It's something that can both be done subtly and to great effect. I can guarantee you've seen it in far more movies than you realize.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
There is zero chance this will be released until 100% of countries can do to the cinemas. It made way too much money to fuck around with.