Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
he sounds like a 90's wrestler
BowserFSmash.gif

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Why don't you like Jack Black out of curiosity?
I have a friend who feels the same way and he has zero reason as to his feelings.

I for the life of me can't figure out why anybody wouldn't like Jack Black.
I find his style to usually be overtly obnoxious and super tryhard. I generally don't mind him when he actually acts and isn't being a living cartoon character. But he's got a schtick he usually leans into, and I don't blame him. A lot of people enjoy it. It's just not for me.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Jack Black actually gives a shit and seems proud. That's great to see.

Oct 22, 2020
Kinda interesting that Black's voice performance is being heavily promoted, but Pratt's was barely revealed.

I wonder if they're still kinda figuring out things with Pratt's Mario voice.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jack Black as Bowser was one of those castings that seemed perfect from the moment i heard it, glad my gut was right here

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I'm pretty sure most of the VA budget is going towards Crispy Ratman and Anna Taylor-Joy. Which means His Mario will likely be talking more than Bowser or Luigi. Which will SUUUUCK
Anya has risen in recent years but she's definitely not commanding the type of money Chris Pratt would after nearly of decade of regular major blockbusters, nor I would think Black who's been a mainstay for decades.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Can we get Jack Black to voice Mario too? I am sure he would produce something way better than what we heard in the trailer

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
He's awesome. I love Jack Black doing Jack Black stuff in a way that works for Bowser but he can also do menacing in a convincing way I wasn't expecting.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
You can really tell Jack Black cares about video games, man.

Dude cares about everything. It's really inspiring tbh. I just saw Tenacious D in concert a few weeks back. Hes playing for his die hard fans. He could have came out, sat down, played the songs and everyone would have loved just being there. Nah, dude was flipping across stage, dancing everything he could do to make that show great. By the end of the show he was so drenched in sweat that you could see the steam rising off of him.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Black was an inspired choice to voice Bowser. They definitely made the right call with that one.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I find his style to usually be overtly obnoxious and super tryhard. I generally don't mind him when he actually acts and isn't being a living cartoon character. But he's got a schtick he usually leans into, and I don't blame him. A lot of people enjoy it. It's just not for me.
This is how I feel about Will Ferrell. The difference for me being that Jack Black actually seems genuine, whereas Will Ferrell's whole vibe is "I NEED ATTENTION WHATEVER THE COST."

Jack is cool. Dude always looks like he's actually having a good time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLgSdAAHMA&ab_channel=TheMuseumofClassicChicagoTelevision%28www.FuzzyMemories.TV%29

Jack Black is Video Game royalty. People need to settle down, Bowser couldn't be in more capable hands.

I'd MUCH prefer actual voice actors instead of the movie prioritizing star power over everything else like they all do. But at least Jack is the kind of celeb who puts in the effort.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL

I don't know if this helps, but I've had the pleasure of meeting Jack a few times back stage at Tenacious D shows, including once after he twisted an ankle. Not any official meet and greets, just managed to become friends with someone in the crew that gets me back there.

And even when he's laying on a couch in pain with a twisted ankle after a 3 hour show, he just oozes personality. It's just genuinely him. He's just always a big happy kid. Especially now that his boys have gotten older and he is spending more time with them.

Always been a huge Jack fan, but prior to meeting him the first time, I always feared it was just a tv personality and he'd be a dick behind the scenes and was so happy to know that he's just genuinely Jack Black.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
He's got an uphill climb against Super Show Koopa

80s cartoon villains knew how to trash talk

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if this helps, but I've had the pleasure of meeting Jack a few times back stage at Tenacious D shows, including once after he twisted an ankle. Not any official meet and greets, just managed to become friends with someone in the crew that gets me back there.

And even when he's laying on a couch in pain with a twisted ankle after a 3 hour show, he just oozes personality. It's just genuinely him. He's just always a big happy kid. Especially now that his boys have gotten older and he is spending more time with them.

Always been a huge Jack fan, but prior to meeting him the first time, I always feared it was just a tv personality and he'd be a dick behind the scenes and was so happy to know that he's just genuinely Jack Black.

This is the good stuff.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh this is good. I thought he was just going to do his normal voice, but he's actually doing a good voice for Bowser.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
not really fully into it yet but I love JB so much that I'm sure by the end of the movie i'll be all for it. It just sounds so much like his voice in apocalypto lol. I guess I just can't unhear that it's him. either way, rooting for it to be a hit.

Solormie

Mar 11, 2022
Very much agreed that '90s Wrestler" really is such a good fit for him, especially after Bowser's Inside Story where I totally heard him in my head that way.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I really can't express how much I love Jack Black. Just one of the most genuine celebrities out there.

I hate that Pratt is in this but I'll watch it for Jack and the rest of the cast.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was there! The audience seemed really into it, but him mentioning that the heavy metal influence is going to affect some musical stuff made me very concerned tbh

Would really hate for there to be musical numbers in the movie haha

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018

I'd MUCH prefer actual voice actors instead of the movie prioritizing star power over everything else like they all do. But at least Jack is the kind of celeb who puts in the effort.
At this point Jack Black has done a lot of voice over work across movies, shows, and games.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
You know thinking about it more, they could still have used Charles Marinet to voice Mario, but instead of using the same old video game voice, maybe they could have gotten him to come up with a new voice for Mario. That way, we'd still have a talented voice actor voicing Mario, but with a new take on the character. I think it's a win-win for everyone. But I guess we're stuck with Chris Pratt.

Foxisdabest

Banned
May 8, 2022
As soon as Bowser spoke, I was like "YO!! This is perfect!!"

I had no idea how I wanted Bowser to sound like until I watched the trailer.