• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Sinophobia
I first noticed this kind of thing when buying baby related items, like organizers for the car, window shades, etc.
The other day I was browsing toy ideas for my son, and often I'd see the exact same product, I mean identical, under more than a few strange brand names, many seemingly made with no rhyme or reason. Joyo, Anpro, Gifinthbox, TEPSMIGO, MELAND, INNOCHEER, LOYO, GINMIC, FAJIOBAO, sdaymol, hapgo. All of these brands are selling identical or nearly identical toys.

Now I'm looking up HDMI switches and I see the exact same thing.

Does China own amazon now? I mean this stuff comes up before recognizable brands do. The two recognizable brands of HDMI switches at Best Buy just don't seem to be available on amazon. Instead, about 40 knockoff products that are nearly identical, sometimes they are, with under different brands.

Often times, the product pictures are ugly photoshops of the product existing in a room, or being 'held' by a person.
I bought one of those seat organizers I mentioned, and it came with a card that said they'll give you a 15 dollar credit for a 5 star review..

I don't want to sound alarms on "CHINA", but this is so off putting. Fake reviews, product pictures and brands that look like they were made by AI.

The story on this must be pretty interesting. Any NPR or other news reports ever talk about this?
Is this just the new normal and no one cares?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I don't know if it is still around but there used to be a problem with Kindle books where the "books" were just copy paste dumps of wikipedia entries and articles about the "book" topic online. It might be the same thing for physical products now.

Still I know what you mean about copycats on Amazon. I wanted to get a floating globe for my desk and there were so many sellers selling the exact same globe, at the exact same price, with the exact same pictures.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon is a cesspool of junk. Unless you were looking for a specific item. And even then, you can probably find it elsewhere.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
wish.com/aliexpress chinese factory direct market happened

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Does China own amazon now? I mean this stuff comes up before recognizable brands do. The two recognizable brands of HDMI switches at Best Buy just don't seem to be available on amazon. Instead, about 40 knockoff products that are nearly identical, sometimes they are, with under different brands.

Often these are the same "brand" products taken from the same factory in China without the logo.
There are a few health related companies in Germany every German knows as a brand that of course also manufactures their stuff in China. Shiatsu-massage things, foot bath stuff etc.
The same company that creates it for that big company is then selling the same stuff without a branded logo usually for the Chinese market. Someone from there then ships it to Europe though and opens an Amazon webshop. They have all the certifications already, so they just sell the same product, non-branded cheaper.

Then they are all the same company. How it works is they buy around 50 reviews and people "test" it for free, the product comes on top, people notice that its actually not bad and give honest reviews. The fake reviews mostly come from when they start and the companies buy up enough reviews for normal people to buy them too.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I look for the seller icon now. If it's Amazon or PRIME certified I buy. Everything else might as well be eBay.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I wouldn't be surprised if they were all the same company selling the same product under names. They're making sure they get a sell by flooding the market.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it is still around but there used to be a problem with Kindle books where the "books" were just copy paste dumps of wikipedia entries and articles about the "book" topic online. It might be the same thing for physical products now.

Still I know what you mean about copycats on Amazon. I wanted to get a floating globe for my desk and there were so many sellers selling the exact same globe, at the exact same price, with the exact same pictures.
I seen where they taken some random fanfiction and tried to sell it. And the covers all look the same

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People have figured out that buying things for $2 / thing on AliExpress and then selling those things for $10 / thing on Amazon is good money, and Amazon don't care.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The last two things I have gotten from Amazon had cards that said they would give me a full refund if I gave a positive review. One of the cards even said not to mention the existence of the card! It explained why this basic water jug had so many 5-star ratings.

Jul 4, 2018
Yep sorry, its extremely fucking annoying

I really like Xiaomi and the like, but having completely random brands polluting the results for PAGES AND PAGES with poorly spelt out descriptions really really gets old

That being said, some really do the job you want, but the experience is more grating than not

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't mind giving up 33 minutes out of your day, Reply All did a great podcast episode on what happened with Amazon that led to what you are seeing.

gimletmedia.com

#124 The Magic Store | Reply All

Sruthi asks a question “why does it seem like Amazon has suddenly gotten a lot sketchier?“ Alex investigates.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Because anyone can buy bulk from Alibaba and then resell on Amazon under any name.
Yeah, I imagine it's something like this. I saw it a couple years ago when I was shopping for an action camera and didn't want to spend the money on a GoPro. Dozens of nearly identical cameras, all under names I'd never heard of and never heard since. I imagine they all come from the same manufacturer who just sells them to resellers rather than selling direct (except possibly through Alibaba), and then it's like one guy working out of his house who files for a brand name, gets some boxes printed on the cheap, and throws them up on Amazon.

At least I knew what I was getting, and the camera was surprisingly pretty decent considering the cost and being what I would otherwise consider a "junk" brand. I hardly use it (which is why I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on it), but I still have it, and it might come in handy some time.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I first noticed this kind of thing when buying baby related items, like organizers for the car, window shades, etc.
The other day I was browsing toy ideas for my son, and often I'd see the exact same product, I mean identical, under more than a few strange brand names, many seemingly made with no rhyme or reason. Joyo, Anpro, Gifinthbox, TEPSMIGO, MELAND, INNOCHEER, LOYO, GINMIC, FAJIOBAO, sdaymol, hapgo. All of these brands are selling identical or nearly identical toys.

Now I'm looking up HDMI switches and I see the exact same thing.

Often times, the product pictures are ugly photoshops of the product existing in a room, or being 'held' by a person.
I bought one of those seat organizers I mentioned, and it came with a card that said they'll give you a 15 dollar credit for a 5 star review..

I don't want to sound alarms on "CHINA", but this is so off putting. Fake reviews, product pictures and brands that look like they were made by AI.

The story on this must be pretty interesting. Any NPR or other news reports ever talk about this?
Is this just the new normal and no one cares?

1) Buy cheap from OEM (or Alibaba).
2) Slap on a brand name.
3) Resell on Amazon for 4x-10x original price.
4) Beg for 5 star reviews so your "brand" moves up in search.
5) Profit.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
The worse is when a product has amassed a ton of good reviews (boosted probably) and the seller uses that page to sell their new product. Like, you arent even getting what your ordered.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
The worse is when a product has amassed a ton of good reviews (boosted probably) and the seller uses that page to sell their new product. Like, you arent even getting what your ordered.

Usually the boost only happens at the start, since often they arent bad products since often they are just unbranded "brand" products for a cheap price and customer service from those 3rd party sellers is good.
Chinese students here do that shit all the time.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Electronics with funky names are questionable to me, but clothes I don't mind at all. They remind me of clothes I used to buy off of Gmarket when I was in Korea (...because they probably are from the same source), they fit well (better than what I can get from the Kohls right next to my apartment!). Really no room to complain.

Now this gets on my nerves, and I've been noticing it more and more lately.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
People will soon realize Amazon is what it is by allowing any kind of fake, shady, trafficked and what not be sold there.
They just chose to deal with it via refunds knowing the majority will not care or won't be able to realize they've been scammed.
And of course they also exploit their workers to the bone.

Oct 26, 2017
Amazon is aware, and let's it happen because it boosts there numbers.

Imho they should get hit with investor fraud. And being a grey market

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
People will soon realize Amazon is what it is by allowing any kind of fake, shady, trafficked and what not be sold there.

But often its not even Fake, just the same product cheaper. Of course Im not really talking about the real counterfeit wares.

Try to get a leather office chair in a furniture shop outside of Ikea. You might have "Office Chair Lisa" or "Office Chair Peter" also made in China from Manufacturer A bought for 50€ and sold in their shop for 250€. They dont buy the exclusive distribution rights. Distribution department buys it in bulk, they just put in their own instruction manual and an own cardboard box.
The same one is then sold on Amazon from BEILUOGUANG as "Office Chair Speedy" for 150€.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Dude, I was browsing 65 inch TVs on Amazon and saw some company list it for 13 cents. I thought this was a scam or a mistake, so for the hell of it I bought it anyways lol. The company is called "WenChuangYuanY".

After buying it I checked their company, they have supposedly just started up and have over 10k items all listed for 13 cents. Another thing, my item shipped 31 minutes after I bought it. I'm not getting jack shit 🤣

I guess they just want to try and get thousands if not tens of thousands of people to buy from them, not get anything, and then not do anything about it because they lost so little money. I'm not mad or anything, I found it amusing. But I'll still send in a complaint to try and put a stop to them because what they're doing is wrong lol

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Dude, I was browsing 65 inch TVs on Amazon and saw some company list it for 13 cents. I thought this was a scam or a mistake, so for the hell of it I bought it anyways lol. The company is called "WenChuangYuanY".

After buying it I checked their company, they have supposedly just started up and have over 10k items all listed for 13 cents. Another thing, my item shipped 31 minutes after I bought it. I'm not getting jack shit 🤣

I guess they just want to try and get thousands if not tens of thousands of people to buy from them, not get anything, and then not do anything about it because they lost so little money. I'm not mad or anything, I found it amusing. But I'll still send in a complaint to try and put a stop to them because what they're doing is wrong lol

THis is clearly a scam. Amazon will send them your address and they will collect private information from you, so they bought data for 13 cents.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It makes browsing Amazon pointless now unless there's something incredibly specific you're looking for.

Although I confess I do get a bit of amusement from the random letters that are most of those brand names. And then I realize that most of the reviews are bogus or bribed into giving five stars.

Buying a set of digital calipers earlier this year was a nightmare. Tons of random Chinese brands, most of the devices look identical but the reviews are all over the place from people saying it was absolute garbage to others claiming it changed their life and cured cancer. Would be nice to sift that shit out and get some legitimate idea of what you're actually buying.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I bought a Yeti tumbler (the Rambler) from the yeti.com, so I know it was legit.

I then went on Amazon and found a highly rated cup that looks exactly alike, without the logo, for 1/3rd of the price. When I got it, I compared it to my legit Yeti. It's exactly the same size, specs, etc. EVERYTHING about it is identical, except for the yeti logo on the cup. The cup was under some random bizarre brand.

It works just as well as the Yeti tumbler, too. One of my favorite purchases. I thought about picking up a couple more in different colors, but the one I have works so well and has held up so it seems pointless.

Sometimes there are gems.

I'm almost convinced that my tumbler came from the same factory in China that makes Yeti cups (Yeti website says "our Hopper coolers and Rambler drinkware are manufactured in China), just without the additional step of stamping in the logo.

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, it's an absolute nightmare to buy stuff on Amazon now. You can sort by brand and check off that sounds legit to somewhat block out the junk.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I saw this article recently that expounded on the issue from a product creator's standpoint. I can't guarantee that it is not stealth marketing for "BeltBro", but:

Copycat on Amazon is Stealing My Product, Images, Branding & More

I've spent the last 2 years developing the branding and marketing for BeltBro and launched my website in February, during one of the hardest times to start a small business.

Several months ago, we decided to start selling on Amazon FBA. Overall, it was going very well and our no-buckle belts were selling fast. But then, I noticed a Chinese company who cloned our ENTIRE Amazon listing. I'm talking product packaging, branding, images and more.

The left side is the counterfeit. The right side is our images. They literally stole… everything.

Well, luckily I'm part of Amazon's special "Brand Registry" program where companies with trademarks and patents can apply and get approved for increased brand protection.. Surely, I could simply file a complaint and get this bad guy removed?

Unfortunately not.
No reply yet from Amazon — just a lot of waiting.

Not only that, they are buying a bunch of fake 5-star reviews to boost their listing and confuse my customers into buying their product, as well as lowering their price well below my listing price.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
2) Slap on a brand name.
5) Profit.

I hate YouTube on mobile now because all I get are Amazon fulfillment ads from bros who are saying that this is the next get rich quick scheme.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I saw this article recently that expounded on the issue from a product creator's standpoint. I can't guarantee that it is not stealth marketing for "BeltBro", but:

Copycat on Amazon is Stealing My Product, Images, Branding & More

Usually when you do a contract with a manufacturer in China, you would have a clause that if in the next 1-2 years something exactly the same/copycat comes out, the company is liable for the damages caused.
This one looks exactly like the manufacturer or someone working there stole that, so it came from the same company and I would guess their contract with the manufacturer was bad.
Thats why I feel no one should launch a product without even going to the factory, have a lawyer with them and talk about especially these things.

Reading this article it kinda feels like this start up (IF they also manufacture in China, but on their Website I do not see any "Made in America" or other information, so I assume so) might have just contacted some factory in China, some Alibaba seller or some other agent, gave them their design, didnt go to the factory and might have just let himself sent samples and went through without a lawyer at the place of the factory and checking the fine legal details.

I say this because I know people in China actually knowing about those issues and thats what they told me to always check and lots of people just are fine with just "online communication" and then 6 months later your idea is then sold from some other company.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Running into this a lot lately as I'm in the market for various outdoor, winter running gear. Also had an annoying time trying to find some headphones for my Kindergartener for school because the 5-star rated headphones we got a few months ago stopped working. It's all very shameless.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Most of those knockoffs are just as good as the brand name, if not identical from the same factory. Who needs an expensive brand name car organizer? I think the majority of my purchases are these "knockoffs" and I have no issues.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
2) Slap on a brand name.
5) Profit.

There's also the whole FBA hustle that goes on these days. People look for products that may be 'hot', order a bunch, then sell it at a FBA store with a significant markup.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Lot of Bootleg blurays and DVDs as well. It is sad you can't trust what you buy anymore.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish there was a way to filter out this garbage by default. I hate it. I don't want to be involved with scams.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I know some Kickstarter projects like flip grip intentionally tried to avoid manufacturing in China because when you submit the details of the item they end up having the patent used by different Chinese groups selling without the branding for a fraction of the cost because they're just taking the molds and making more. It's not uncommon to see it happen for other things.

You should look at the adult products listings some time.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Amazon list counterfeit with its lower price and quality.... it get review bombed by buyers.... other potencial buyers get confused and afraid of counterfeit AND the original brand... Amazon create the same product with Amazon brand, list it at the top of search.... easy profit.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
3vi3631ci9c01.jpg

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I know some Kickstarter projects like flip grip intentionally tried to avoid manufacturing in China because when you submit the details of the item they end up having the patent used by different Chinese groups selling without the branding for a fraction of the cost because they're just taking the molds and making more. It's not uncommon to see it happen for other things.

If you have a good lawyer you can still kinda protect yourself from it really well, even in China.
I recommend ZackieChan :D

Status
Not open for further replies.