• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For sure, all these kinds of games I actually enjoy the most while getting up to the cap/end of the story, and then I feel like I beat the game and move on. A lot of people want one game they can play for hundreds of hours for months or years on end, but I prefer to play a variety of games, so I start checking out after hour 30 or so.

Exceptions are The Division which I put 100+ hrs into, and yes, the first 30 were the best; and I'm also playing MHW, 85 hrs, and it's been pretty consistently enjoyable simply because it's design isn't mission-based per se, the way The Division is. I've also got 30 hrs in Vermintide 2, and again, I'm enjoying it for the gameplay and leveling my characters (just got all careers unlocked), and the prospect of the "end game" for Vermintide 2 isn't super compelling for me.

MHW is the only game that I really get the appeal of right now, because you can definitely "make your own difficulty" by choosing the types of hunts you do and weapons/armour you use. The Division I also found very chill to just sit down and play, but there was such a focus on RNG when it came to creating your build, and for a lot of teammates it just amounted to rerunning the same maps again and again and hopping that you get a random drop.

MHW to get the items you want, you hunt the monsters that give you the parts you're looking for, and they'll even drop parts if you "break" them off during a hunt, so you can still get all your equipment if you fail as long as you keep going at it. There's a link between the item you want, and what you do to get it. Whereas in The Division, it's all RNGesus.

I can't speak to Vermintide 2 too much, I know people complain about cosmetics being totally random, but there is a crafting system for weapons. I haven't gotten into it, because all five of my chars are level 12/35 and every time I open a new chest, I get new weapons that are leveled up, so I'm just replacing stuff as I go. There's no point for me to waste crafting material now, when I'm getting new, stronger gear all the time -just like in The Division before you hit level cap.

MHW on the other hand, it's aaallllll crafting. Even more impressively, if you max-out early-game equipment, it's actually still pretty decent. Especially since the game's armours have different resistances and properties, so you might find yourself going to and old set to face a specific beast.

As much as the developers will try and create compelling content, so often the community decides on a meta, which devolves into rerunning a given map again and again, and of course they'll do it as quickly as possible, and if a teammate gets left behind and dies, it's more on the fault of the person who "didn't keep up," than the person who literally abandons whoever it is. I've seen it happen both ways. I'm in a group sprinting ahead and I see someone behind going for an ammo pickup or something (uh, guys, could we wait a sec?) or a group battling enemies and then some Leeroy Jenkins running halfway across the map to the next area being chased by mobs (uh, dude, could you wait a sec?).

Again, the thing about MHW is that everyone goes *to* the monster, and everyone is working for the same parts.

I had a pretty good experience with Vermintide 2 the other day, I ran a few maps with this person who was into learning tome and grim locations (hidden bonus items), and they had a guide and we were all communicating and going for the special items, and it was a lot more fun than just speed-running the map, which is what people do 95% of the time.

I played Destiny 2 for a little bit (under 20 hours), and my issue is that the match-making was atrocious. I was not able to find people at all to run the campaign with me, and I got the game during the Blizzcon week where they gave the game away for free, so I know there would have been a population for it. I played The Division within the launch window (a few weeks/a month since release maybe?) and there was no trouble finding games, but I'd say, along with MHW/Vermintide 2 it's more to do with The Division having pretty solid match-making. I really could not figure out how to just get into a lobby for the early Destiny 2 missions in any kind of way that was consistent for finding a squad.

Anyhow, the "end game" is where I lose interest, generally. I just feel like an idiot trying to create builds for all these games, each with their own esoteric, opaque systems. I played Diablo III as well and that shit was soooo bad for needing a FAQ next to you to try and do "end game" stuff.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
There's multiple reasons:

1. You've already done this on another character.
2. You have friends that you want to play with and they aren't gonna wait hundreds of hours for you to "catch up" to their lv.
3. For PVP reasons.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those cases where a feature is actually monetized as a deterrent.

The developers do want new players to experience as much of the game as possible, but they also want to make sure they can also get to "end of content" to keep up with the product zeitgeist. The longer a product runs for, the more difficult that process becomes, and it's a conundrum for developers to be able to shuttle players along that funnel in a way that's beneficial for the product. In most live services games, your player distribution has two peaks: one at the start of progression and one at the end. Basically, any effort you put into the middle is rarely worth the money, as the lowest number of active players at any one point will experience the fruits of that effort.

Thus, a monetized end of content skip is offered for those who are willing to take the jump (and presumably the transaction barrier filters out players who would benefit from going through the funnel). Generally, an unmonetized skip is not offered to new players because they'd likely take that option regardless of whether it'd negatively impact their experience.

Anyway, the actual revenue contribution of these sorts of features is minimal. I think some game like Destiny use it purely for monetization, but most MMO's do not.
Yep, this. People like to decry level boosts, but really what they do is let veterans or experienced players get past the parts of the game that would make them quit, and players that are enjoying levelling without knowing any better are not encouraged to buy them as such.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
hardcore players who are jumping into an mmo want to be up to date so they can immediately begin no-lifing it. they don't care about context or discovery or anything, they just want the quickest path to the treadmill so they can immediately begin treating the game like a job. these are the people mmos make the most money off of.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The point of those games, and the most memorable moments, are the end game experiences. I wish it were more compelling to get to that point, especially with games like Destiny, but it does make sense. However, I think when a new game releases it would serve them well to craft a longer middle game so players to spend 3-4 days or maybe a week speeding through mediocre story missions to reach max levels and find the end game is still barebones. With the way MMO and similar games are, I genuinely don't know how to address that issue without launching a game with a robust end game and that's incredibly daunting, if it's even possible.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
FFXI did a good job of this for the first 5-8 years of it's life (I can't comment what may have happened after that). The focus on different jobs, their wildly different play styles, and the time and difficulty required to level them led to both veterans and noobs consistently starting anew. The same hotspots you went through in 2002 were still active in 2008. If anything I'd say it had the opposite problem where the expansion areas are what were ghost towns because the vanilla areas were most familiar and generally safer/easier.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's why i don't bother starting these type of games 6+ months after release. not that you can't have a good to amazing time jumping into Destiny 2, FFXIV, ect today but they're designed around you being there from the get-go, if you want the full experience. they are live games so kind of no way around it

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It was a massive mistake to double down on the end game & it's why Classic WoW is the better game, just logging in for that one raid/dungeon isn't good game design. Devs really should not have followed it.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The anxiety of FOMO is not to be underestimated, so they funnel, and most improtantly, promise that funneling. Even market it.

Cuz even if it was early EQ's "fuck the players" DM school or very quick breezy mentality of DM, once that neurotic mindset takes hold it's over. Everyone's got what they want and no one's happy.

"Why am I not having what that player's having?!?!"

"You can do EVERYTHING! You will do EVERYTHING!"

"Why is there nothing new to doooooooooooooo?!??!"

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Destiny seems a strange example to single out in the title as the content tends to still be relevant, be it for pushing forward the story, being the focused planet for the week, adding guns or Armor to your collections. Plus with Shadowkeep / the Armor 2.0 update there'll be incentive to re-earn the 2.0 versions of all current Armor.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Literally I would never play destiny without the end game content. Until foresaken content the grind up to end game content was always the most boring and tedious grind ever. Mostly because there was such a dearth of good gear to look forward to and it really was only about getting your overall number up. I entirely understand the appeal of level boosters. Grinding is not why a lot of people play these games.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Leveling alts, which was mentioned in the OP, and also to help people coming back after taking a break.

Getting back into a game like Destiny after skipping an expansion or two can feel daunting, but if you can quickly get up to the appropriate level it alleviates a lot of the grinding that would be necessary otherwise (obviously you still need to learn the ins and outs of the gameplay changes that have been made).

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
This thread is really funny to read after the recent destiny announcement, that basically says new players(and everybody else) will now start the game at 750 power level.

Is it still shuttling to endgame if you start there right after jumping in ?