• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom-Goomba.gif

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
So, in essence... you're eating mushrooms so you can kill mushrooms to help mushrooms in rescuing a human who is actually an ascended, royalty mushroom.

Mario lore is crazy.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought they were mushrooms as a kid, but ever since I heard about the chestnut pun in my late teens or early 20s, I just figured they were supposed to be chestnuts.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
So, in essence... you're eating mushrooms so you can kill mushrooms to help mushrooms in rescuing a human who is actually an ascended, royalty mushroom.

Mario lore is crazy.

They're all just best friends putting on a show for you, the gamer. The only real canon is actually the sports games, where they just get to hang out and be chill with one another.

Saintred

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm too lazy to find a source but I swear I watched a video where the devs said they used the mushroom shape for goombas to save space.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume they're chestnut mushrooms.

Not sure if this is a joke thread or not, but the stuff in that tweet isn't canon or official, sounds like game theory nonsense. Peachette is just a silly power-up.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
We always referred to them as mushrooms as kids. My friends will never know what a Goomba is but will instantly understand if you say mushroom enemy.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
What's really weird is that the "good" mushrooms in Mario's world are the ones that would most likely be poisenous in the real world, while the "evil" ones seem to be harmless and edible.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's really weird is that the "good" mushrooms in Mario's world are the ones that would most likely be poisenous in the real world, while the "evil" ones seem to be harmless and edible.

It just means that in Mario's world you can eat your enemies but not your friends, pretty convinient for Mario and his gang.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
For a long time I wondered why Toads were called Toads, since they looked nothing like frogs. But then I realized it's just a shortened form of "toadstool."

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious now, but back in the original Super Mario Bros I always thought they were owls.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
My brain just exploded at the idea that anyone could possibly not know this.

Can you identify this animal?
Loxodonta_africana_-_old_bull_%28Ngorongoro%2C_2009%29.jpg

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I'm fairly certain the a few Super Mario instruction manuals, or possibly the Super Mario Choose Your Own Adventure books, specifically refer to them as "Goomba fungus monsters". So I always knew they were mushrooms.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
At first I thought "why is goomba here...?" And then, the truth hit me: Goombas are supposed to be mushrooms too, just like Toads. How could I never know this?

I guess you just never associated the shape of a mushroom with a mushroom? I never delved deep, or cared about the taxonomy of the SMB games, but the Goombas always looked like mushrooms to me.

I guess they could always be viewed as walking naughty bits too though...