• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
fingers crossed that that is in their future though!
looks like Taco Bell wants to focus more on the vegetarian menu/option rather than imitation meat at the moment

"We've met with Beyond, we've met with Impossible," Julie Felss Masino, Taco Bell's president of North American operations, told CNBC. "But I think what we're proud of is that we've been doing vegetarian for 57 years."

Del Taco started doing Beyond Tacos and burritos, tho, so im sure it could happen to Taco Bell eventually

I bet Taco Bell is waiting for Beyond/Impossible to get a lot cheaper

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with 98% of what you have to say, OP. However, I do take issue that vegetarians need to shop at absurdly expensive Whole Foods. Many grocery stores offer high-quality produce, whole grains, rices, beans, and so on at far cheaper prices. Maybe not the packaged vegan stuff as much but that should be avoided for the most part anyway like most packaged food. It's usually packed full of sodium and/or added sugar just like the regular stuff.
It's great a more convenient option is out there for vegans through Burger King, though.

OP
OP
neon/drifter

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
looks like Taco Bell wants to focus more on the vegetarian menu/option rather than imitation meat at the moment

Del Taco started doing Beyond Tacos and burritos, tho, so im sure it could happen to Taco Bell eventually

I bet Taco Bell is waiting for Beyond/Impossible to get a lot cheaper
Which admittedly, is smart on their part. I mean, hey, they've had my vegan ass in their pocket for years now, they'll continue to be an option for me.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm does the overall calorie intake go up or down when compared to the actual meat whopper itself?

Calorie wise it's not too bad, or maybe a bit better.

However it seems Impossible Burger and Beyond Burger were generally HIGHER in saturated fat and sodium compared to the real meat burgers. So that's something to be aware of if you're trying to reduce your sodium and saturated fat intake.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Could someone give me confirmation that the Whopper bun is vegan? It's hard info to track down for some reason.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Not a vegan but been two weeks since I ate any meat (doing a 40 day fast/lent like event due to a family member passing away)

Though I feel like I might make it where I only consume meat products during the weekend (sat and sun) after I finish the 40 day event

But before that tempted to try out the impossible whopper

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I've only had the impossible burger from White Castle, which I wasn't impressed with, but I'm more than willing to give this a shot.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I have never understood why people think eating meat or anything with any bit of meat juice on it, after a long time being vegetarian/vegan, would make you sick. You didn't evolve a new gastrointestinal system in a decade.

My friends and I were vegetarians for 20 years and a place we stayed gave us what we thought was spaghetti with veggie meatballs, but it turned out to be real meat. We didn't find out until afterwards. Nobody had any problem whatsoever.
It's just a bit of mysticism that people like to tell themselves.

I'm confused why any vegan would be particularly bothered by having it cooked on the same grill if they aren't bothered patronizing Burger King in the first place. Like, what is demanding it be cooked on a completely separate grill going to solve? We're not talking about allergies here.

It is possible to be allergic to meat, and so consuming it can make you quite sick. Here is some info on one of the common meat allergies:

Furthermore I'm vegan but live in Australia and if Burger King here (known as Hungry Jacks http://www.hungryjacks.com.au ) did this I wouldn't be eating it (at least if it was cooked with meat), although I do regularly get their vegan cheeseburger ( https://www.hungryjacks.com.au/better-food/vegan-en ).

I buy the vegan cheeseburger as it is great and easy to purchase. Very convenient due to the amount of locations Hungry Jacks has. They cook their patty with the chips, so that and the chips are vegan. It isn't a 'fake meat' patty though, but they are intending on releasing one soon ( https://www.afr.com/rich-list/hungry-jack-is-set-to-get-even-richer-from-vegans-20190415-p51ebf and https://www.businessinsider.com.au/...cientists-to-develop-meat-free-whopper-2019-5 )

Last edited:

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I still eat meat but am keen on transitioning to vegetarianism through these meat replacements. I agree whole-heartedly with your post OP and am very excited about the next wave of alternative meats.

I wonder if the delivery services work for the BK impossible burger? In Seattle, I've only found Blue Moon Burgers that will deliver an impossible.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I can definitely empathize OP. I've been vegan 15 years and the only thing that I miss is the convenience of eating out without some minor consideration. I haven't been in a fast food place in nearly that long but I'm tempted to give the Whopper a try, if only to do my small part in creating demand for it and similar products.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
So, let me preface this with something.

Whenever people ask me, "Is there anything you miss? From being vegan?" My answer has always been, "Convenience." I don't miss any foods. I've had a great time replicating just about any meat based recipe I can look up with meat substitutes and whatnot. I've never been lacking for flavor or anything like that.

I just wanted to write this post to offer a bit of perspective. Going vegan is a challenge that varies based on where you live, what your resources are and so on. For me, whenever I ended a long day at work, I knew I was either going home and making dinner from scratch, picking up Taco Bell, heading to a pricier restaurant for dinner or just ordering something expensive. It has sucked.

But to be honest, the Impossible Whopper being a thing has me a bit emotional. No bullshit. I was able to walk into a Burger King for the first time in years, look at a burger on the menu and order it. I could have even used the drive thru. My dietary choice has placed me into an outer ring of fast food society that I never wished I could be in.

And now, I have an option that 1. Isn't Taco Bell. 2. Is a burger with fries. 3. Is affordable. (Most vegan burgers in my area are 15 dollars each. This is 5.79 for one.) 4. Is at a very prominent fast food restaurant.

I didn't have this before! I'm excited! More than that, I'm excited that a meatless product is on a major fast food companies menu. Now, anyone that wants to dip their toe into the meatless trend is a Burger King menu option away from it. They don't have to go to a fancy restaurant, they don't have to scroll the aisles of Whole Foods. The everyman can try this out and that's only going make it more likely for these type of products to show up in other restaurants! And that just makes me feel like the future is so bright. I'm so happy about this and I just had to type something up about it.

Also, having not entered a Burger King in years I did not know they carried the soda, SURGE. I FUCKING HAD SURGE AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS IT WAS SO GOOD!!!!!

ETA: Just to inform. On the official flyer from Burger King, they do outright state the burger is cooked on the same broiler as the standard burgers. They state in the same line though, that they will cook it separately if asked. Thanks to those below who mentioned this. It's just helpful to know to those who want to know!
As a coworker told me, the impossible burger is NOT VEGAN because it was tested on animals. I thought it was a weird semantic take but he was adamant. Even when this burger with a one time deal of 100+ mice could eventually convince a lot of people to avoid meat, he said it wasn't worth it. I am gonna be honest, I didn't understand this view at all.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had one at a restaurant once and it was quite good. I'm curious how it will translate to fast food so I'll give it a try sometime.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I have had an impossible burger and beyond. for the impossible I thought it was a burger heavily cooked in peanut oil. If you hadn't told me I would have thought it was a funky burger, but a burger none the same. Beyond I threw out after a bite. It was legitimately awful as a meat eater.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I have never understood why people think eating meat or anything with any bit of meat juice on it, after a long time being vegetarian/vegan, would make you sick. You didn't evolve a new gastrointestinal system in a decade.

My friends and I were vegetarians for 20 years and a place we stayed gave us what we thought was spaghetti with veggie meatballs, but it turned out to be real meat. We didn't find out until afterwards. Nobody had any problem whatsoever.
I only mention it because that's exactly what happened to a friend. Ordered a grilled cheese at Five Guys and got super ill afterward. Obviously not everyone has the same difficulty, but it's always on my mind as a possibility.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
It's just a bit of mysticism that people like to tell themselves.

I'm confused why any vegan would be particularly bothered by having it cooked on the same grill if they aren't bothered patronizing Burger King in the first place. Like, what is demanding it be cooked on a completely separate grill going to solve? We're not talking about allergies here.

I could understand simply being disgusted by it. Plenty of meat eaters would balk at the idea of having their cow patty cooked on the same grill as a dog burger, for example.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I would be cautious of relying on this as an option as BK almost certainly cooks the patties on the same grill they cook the rest of their meat on. If you haven't eaten meat in a long time, this could make you sick.
Eh, If i were to become vegan it would be for ethical reasons so I wouldn't care one bit.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Had it today as well, no joke, tasted nearly identical to a beef patty without the crumbly chewiness and extra grease that a beef patty provides. My brother ate the rest that I gave him and he thought it was a whopper he was eating before I told him. Impossible Burger lives up to its name. Now I had it because I wanted to try it, but I'm happy to see you have more options when eating out OP, I can only imagine how difficult it is to find a vegan place that isn't ridiculously overpriced.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Still not managed to find either Beyond or Impossible in the UK.

There is a LOT of new vegan meat replacement items out, though. I tried some Fry's Hot dogs yesterday, and they were incredible. Texture and taste was unreal, I double checked the pack.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I just tried this. Its very good. Tastes almost like beef. Thicker as well. Very very impressed.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
So, let me preface this with something.

Whenever people ask me, "Is there anything you miss? From being vegan?" My answer has always been, "Convenience." I don't miss any foods. I've had a great time replicating just about any meat based recipe I can look up with meat substitutes and whatnot. I've never been lacking for flavor or anything like that.

I just wanted to write this post to offer a bit of perspective. Going vegan is a challenge that varies based on where you live, what your resources are and so on. For me, whenever I ended a long day at work, I knew I was either going home and making dinner from scratch, picking up Taco Bell, heading to a pricier restaurant for dinner or just ordering something expensive. It has sucked.

But to be honest, the Impossible Whopper being a thing has me a bit emotional. No bullshit. I was able to walk into a Burger King for the first time in years, look at a burger on the menu and order it. I could have even used the drive thru. My dietary choice has placed me into an outer ring of fast food society that I never wished I could be in.

And now, I have an option that 1. Isn't Taco Bell. 2. Is a burger with fries. 3. Is affordable. (Most vegan burgers in my area are 15 dollars each. This is 5.79 for one.) 4. Is at a very prominent fast food restaurant.

I didn't have this before! I'm excited! More than that, I'm excited that a meatless product is on a major fast food companies menu. Now, anyone that wants to dip their toe into the meatless trend is a Burger King menu option away from it. They don't have to go to a fancy restaurant, they don't have to scroll the aisles of Whole Foods. The everyman can try this out and that's only going make it more likely for these type of products to show up in other restaurants! And that just makes me feel like the future is so bright. I'm so happy about this and I just had to type something up about it.

Also, having not entered a Burger King in years I did not know they carried the soda, SURGE. I FUCKING HAD SURGE AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS IT WAS SO GOOD!!!!!

ETA: Just to inform. On the official flyer from Burger King, they do outright state the burger is cooked on the same broiler as the standard burgers. They state in the same line though, that they will cook it separately if asked. Thanks to those below who mentioned this. It's just helpful to know to those who want to know!
Uhm burger king always had a veggie burger then switched to the impossible burger

GustyGardens

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Vegetarian, here. I might try one for lunch today. I don't know where there's a Burger King near my office, but I'll make it work. If not, there's a Carl's, Jr. down the street. I don't crave burgers often, but if I do, I really like Burgerlords in Los Angeles. They even have shakes, too. The Vegan Hooligans is really good, too. They've got tons of options.

There is a LOT of new vegan meat replacement items out, though. I tried some Fry's Hot dogs yesterday, and they were incredible. Texture and taste was unreal, I double checked the pack.

Sainsbury's has a brand called Naturli' that does a burger that very similar to the Beyond. It's made the same way, too.

Feb 10, 2018
I would not be surprised if a significant portion of burger King staff cook the meatless burger on the same place they cook the beef burgers.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017

Have a veggie wife and most of the stuff by Fry's is surprisingly good! I am now veggie 95% or the time. Still fail at family BBQs and what not but im okay with that

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I really enjoyed it, although I wouldn't suggest it to meat eaters for their first impossible burger. They changed the formula specifically to taste like a whopper. At restaurants you will get a bigger, seasoned by a cook, etc one I would suggest as a first.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This thread inspired me to get an Impossible burger for lunch from BK and I'm not disappointed at all. I've had one at Umami Burger in the past but I had to scarf it down because I was in-between a work shift so I couldn't really take my time to process the flavor.

I've been eating Beyond burgers for about two months now and they are good, but I do think I like Impossible burgers more due to the texture having a better mouthfeel overall.

I can't really eat beef anymore because when I do I get sick, so this is a great alternative when I'm craving a burger for lunch.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it, although I wouldn't suggest it to meat eaters for their first impossible burger. They changed the formula specifically to taste like a whopper. At restaurants you will get a bigger, seasoned by a cook, etc one I would suggest as a first.

Good point. First one I tried was from Houlihan's and it was very good. As good as a hamburger from them.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Good point. First one I tried was from Houlihan's and it was very good. As good as a hamburger from them.
yeah I would totally suggest restaurants first, and hopefully a place you already enjoy. I am vegan myself so anything new like this is already amazing, but I've started to figure out what I should and shouldn't suggest to my meat eating friends to try.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
for my first try i bought a beyond burger and a regular burger from A&W (just in case i didn't like the beyond)

the beyond burger somehow tasted better than the regular burger it was so confusing

Right now in the Burger King App you can get BOTH the Impossible Whopper and a Regular Whopper for a total of $7. To "compare" them.

Edit* I see someone beat me to that.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm extremely grateful for a local vegan drive thru for the convenience of a drive thru with all plant based options. It's really good too! How does it compare to the beyond/carl's Jr's beyond? I'll have to try the impossible whopper sometime soon!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Vegetarian, here. I might try one for lunch today. I don't know where there's a Burger King near my office, but I'll make it work. If not, there's a Carl's, Jr. down the street. I don't crave burgers often, but if I do, I really like Burgerlords in Los Angeles. They even have shakes, too. The Vegan Hooligans is really good, too. They've got tons of options.

Sainsbury's has a brand called Naturli' that does a burger that very similar to the Beyond. It's made the same way, too.
I'll look for it, thanks very much for the heads up!

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I had a sausage patty in an egg sandwich and it tasted nothing like sausage .
Want to try A&W tho u

That's disappointing that the breakfast sandwich isn't good. I'll have to try it and see.

We are supposed to have Impossible whoppers in Canada sometime this year.

I'm big on BBQ so I doubt I could ever ditch meat but all the vegetarian "meat" I've tried up until now were disgusting.

Good to hear they're getting this close to tasting like real meat.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for you OP, I liked an Impossible burger as well and I look forward to trying different types of "meat" once it gets even more popular.

But let's talk about the real thing here. They have fucking SURGE at BK?!

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Just got a normal whopper and the impossible whopper from burger King. Overall it was ok, but it didn't taste quite like beef and had a sort of nutty flavor to it. Texture was decent and certainly not crumbly like other faux meat patties (I think beyond burger is pretty crumbly prior to cooking but holds up after being cooked,aalthough the final texture is not as close to beef as the impossible burger).

After having it, I still think I like the normal beef better and I would actually rate the beyond burger higher than the impossible burger. If anything though, the biggest takeaway was that burgers of any sort from burger King are horribly bland and overcooked compared to what I can do at home. All this venture really made me want is for impossible burgers to be available at grocery stores so I can cook up some for myself and really get a good comparison going between all the alternatives.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
After having it, I still think I like the normal beef better and I would actually rate the beyond burger higher than the impossible burger. If anything though, the biggest takeaway was that burgers of any sort from burger King are horribly bland and overcooked compared to what I can do at home. All this venture really made me want is for impossible burgers to be available at grocery stores so I can cook up some for myself and really get a good comparison going between all the alternatives.
I think one of the best things about Beyond and Impossible is that they are constantly getting improvements while also getting cheaper at the same time (a lot of the expense right now was from development costs)

over time meat substitutes should be as cheap or cheaper than meat

it's not something that will fully replace meat, you're still gonna have steak houses and the like, but it should be quite impactful to the food industry in general