ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
It has nothing to do with character's morals or values described in the story, but choices made by writers for them and their choice to focus on that. And you can find a lot of uneducated heroes in the 19th century american or english literature that are revolutionnary or progressive. When LA NOIRE or GTA4 entirely assumed a form of pessimism or nihilism, RDR2 tries to be artificially moral, in contradiction of everything asked and shown to the players before the epilogue, and in a story plagued by incoherences.
Them focusing on certain topics does not equate to them championing it.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GTA is one of the highest grossing, critically acclaimed franchises in history that revolutionized the open world genre but somehow the writing is bad guys
This but unironically
Oh great to know. Most critics and 10s of millions of people disagree with you, but your opinion is superior in some way?

I'm sure this will divuldge into "everyone's opinions matters equally" well it doesn't when there is a lot of evidence showing the objective quality of GTA games.
Fucking LOL πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Oh, I would be if i were them, absolutely.
Being me no, not really.

Oct 28, 2017
I think GTAVI will make fun of everyone, from minorities to nazis
See, this right here is the issue with "making fun of everyone equally" when on a societal level, not everyone is on equal footing. And it's the same mentality that a lot of teens took from shows like South Park in their formative years, that everything deserves mocking, and that being made fun of is some "great equalizer." You know what deserves to be made fun of? Incel Nazis who are a cancer on society by their own choice. You know who doesn't? Ethnic minorities who still suffer the effects of systemic racism imposed by how this country is constructed.

It lacks any nuance or critical thought and just reeks of "NYYYEEEHHHH FUCK YOU I CAN SAY WHAT I WANT!"

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I'm pretty sure GTA would not of been successful if it had bad writing like you said it would not of sold 110 million copies or hit a 96 metacritic but to tell me how that happened then?

"Super Mario is one of the highest grossing, critically acclaimed franchises in history and revolutionized the gaming world, tell me how it would've done that without its socially poignant, revolutionary writing."

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
U from 4chan or somthing?
I mean you're the one who brought up the word "objective" into all this so I could ask you the same thing
I'm pretty sure GTA would not of been successful if it had bad writing like you said it would not of sold 110 million copies or hit a 96 metacritic but to tell me how that happened then?
If you look at some of the highest grossing entertainment products you would see there's not a correlation between good writing and successful products

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I've lost a lot of respect for Rockstar with how they handled Shark Cards ($$$) and MTX. I mean come on, not even a real story DLC like with GTA IV? They're blinded by their own avarice.

Episodes from Liberty City unperformed for them. It shouldn't be surprising that they aren't quick to jump back into that.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'm not gonna lie I'd like a full on 1970's take on GTA next....then it would all be moot anyway.
I feel the modern stuff has kind of reached it's natural peak with GTAV,I'd like something fresh.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, this right here is the issue with "making fun of everyone equally" when on a societal level, not everyone is on equal footing. And it's the same mentality that a lot of teens took from shows like South Park in their formative years, that everything deserves mocking, and that being made fun of is some "great equalizer." You know what deserves to be made fun of? Incel Nazis who are a cancer on society by their own choice. You know who doesn't? Ethnic minorities who still suffer the effects of systemic racism imposed by how this country is constructed.

It lacks any nuance or critical thought and just reeks of "NYYYEEEHHHH FUCK YOU I CAN SAY WHAT I WANT!"
Yes but Counterpoint it sold a lot/s

Oct 29, 2017
I mean you're the one who brought up the word "objective" into all this so I could ask you the same thing

If you look at some of the highest grossing entertainment products you would see there's not a correlation between good writing and successful products

Right. Transformers 4 made over a billion dollars

This is a movie where a character had to pull out a lamenated card and cite a law where he is legally allowed to date a 17 year old

Feb 10, 2018

You don't think there are objective measures of quality in video game?

Try going into a TLOU2 thread and saying it's garbage, lol.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm thinking that the next Grand Theft Auto is either going to be another period piece like Vice City/San Andreas, or they are going to take it in a more serious contemporary direction like GTA IV/Max Payne 3.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think GTAVI will make fun of everyone, from minorities to nazis
You're probably wrong on that. I'm not GTA historian but I can't think of a time where they've punched down on races like that. Yeah they were gangs based on race, but they weren't really used to point a finger at that race, or to make any sort of point.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GTAV's 'satire' was poor, and I've never been convinced it's smart enough to even be called that. It was nothing an edgy 16 year old couldn't have dreamed up.

It was caricature, and very often a lazy one at that.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Oh great to know. Most critics and 10s of millions of people disagree with you, but your opinion is superior in some way?

I'm sure this will divuldge into "everyone's opinions matters equally" well it doesn't when there is a lot of evidence showing the objective quality of GTA games.
Lol how. Objective quality assessments of art don't exist

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I could definitely see them setting GTAVI in the 70s or 80s for this very reason.

If it were set in modern day I feel like there's a million different pitfalls for them, whether certain jokes are too on the nose (though that's not stopped them before tbh), or it's just inappropriate.

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
GTA is one of the highest grossing, critically acclaimed franchises in history that revolutionized the open world genre but somehow the writing is bad guys

This wasn't the purpose of the thread, but lmao, why would those two things ever be opposites. You've never disliked or questioned something that sold well? Are you an individual in any sense or do you follow the group for all decisions in life? I sound like a child shouting "wake up sheeple!" but your posts are so extreme any response to it would look like that.

I expect the story, writing, and satire to be the same as always for GTA.

Which means it will have some funny satire, and equally unfunny satire because GTA exists in the headspace of a teenager who thinks everything equally sucks And everyone but them is pretentious, insincere, and wrong.

I think trying to use metacritic or sales to prove the writing in GTA is of any particular quality is misguided. Games writing is generally mediocre including in some of the biggest selling games. Poor writing and storytelling hasn't had much of an effect on the sales of AAA games in the last 15 years. People seem to buy games for the overall experience, not just the story. Especially if it's a multiplayer game.

And GTA V has sold a shitload of copies because of GTA V Online. That's basically the real game for a ton of people.

CannedSoup

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not gonna lie I'd like a full on 1970's take on GTA next....then it would all be moot anyway.
I feel the modern stuff has kind of reached it's natural peak with GTAV,I'd like something fresh.

This is what I'm hoping for too.

I could definitely see them just avoiding modern day so that they don't have to deal with the politics and potential backlash.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
This wasn't the purpose of the thread, but lmao, why would those two things ever be opposites. You've never disliked or questioned something that sold well? Are you an individual in any sense or do you follow the group for all decisions in life? I sound like a child shouting "wake up sheeple!" but your posts are so extreme any response to it would look like that.
Where as you are the type of person when a series or franchise is massively popular you have to go against the grain "I the Intellectual" and talk about how GTA is actually not that good of a series

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would hope that after the great story in RDR2, they would try and tackle a more grounded GTA story again.

Feb 10, 2018
Lol how. Objective quality assessments of art don't exist

Ok,

Next your going to tell me the person who thinks this:

Is better then this

God of War

His vengeance against the gods of Olympus far behind him, Kratos now lives as a man in the lands of Norse Gods and monsters. It is in this harsh, unforgiving world that he must fight to survive… and teach his son to do the same. As mentor and protector to a son determined to earn his respect...

Has just a good an opinion as Somone who thinks the opposite.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Nevertheless, I find myself deeply filled with dread thinking about the future of Grand Theft Auto and if it really has a place at my table anymore without really making some big changes. I think about the topicality they'd likely cover, President Trump, #MeToo, LGBT rights, Black Lives Matter. I don't know, it scares me. The way I currently feel about things, I'm not sure I even want a game that reminds me of our woes in that way even if they broach them with the necessary tact required...

what's weird is that i find myself deeply filled with dread just by contemplating a world where someone could actually be deeply filled with dread simply by thinking about the future of a video game franchise. so, there's that...

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
Which means it will have some funny satire, and equally unfunny satire because GTA exists in the headspace of a teenager who thinks everything equally sucks And everyone but them is pretentious, insincere, and wrong.

So South Park but not nearly as funny?

Their attempts at satirizing modern culture have always fallen flat for me. I enjoyed GTA III because there was nothing else like it at the time. Skipped Vice City. San Andreas is still my favorite, just because I enjoyed the street gangs and hip hop aesthetic over the crime family drama of the others. GTA IV was pretty boring and I skipped V because they brought the game back to San Andreas but replaced CJ with a bunch of really unappealing characters. That said, I don't expect much from VI or anything else they try to convey in terms of themes or story at this point.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope that after the great story in RDR2, they would try and tackle a more grounded GTA story again.
I think the opposite is going to happen. RDR will be the serious franchise while GTA will be more silly and satirical. Not saying GTA won't have a serious side, but just by the type of game GTA is it needs to be a bit more...loose. RDR doesn't allow for the type of weird hijinks GTA does just by virtue of it's setting.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it might be a period piece to avoid today's political minefield. Which is cool, R* does period pieces better than almost anyone, but in a post-RDR 2 world I would like to see them take on the current day.

I actually enjoy GTA's satire (not all of it, but on the whole) but RDR 2 was a breath of fresh air. Surprisingly mature and nuanced, even compared to the first Red Dead. Hopefully some of that will brush off on their writing for GTA VI.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

Would like that too but I doubt that's going to happen (or any other period that it's not more or less contemporary or near future). They'll try to play it safe. Taking the franchise to the 70's or 60's is a risky move. And going back to Vice City too. Millenial kids don't care about that period. I think the franchise has become too big to take risks. Jeez, now that I think about it, we'll probably end up with the most bland sterile GTA.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Considering the current political environment, GTAVI (or any video game or form of entertainment) should be one of the least concerning things to anyone right now. Plus, hopefully this shit will start to be in the rear view by the time that game even comes out.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
Would like that too but I doubt that's going to happen (or any other period that it's not more or less contemporary or near future). They'll try to play it safe. Taking the franchise to the 70's or 60's is a risky move. And going back to Vice City too. Millenial kids don't care about that period. I think the franchise has become too big to take risks. Jeez, now that I think about it, we'll probably end up with the most bland sterile GTA.
None of the gtas have been bland or sterile though

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ok,

Next your going to tell me the person who thinks this:

Is better then this

God of War

His vengeance against the gods of Olympus far behind him, Kratos now lives as a man in the lands of Norse Gods and monsters. It is in this harsh, unforgiving world that he must fight to survive… and teach his son to do the same. As mentor and protector to a son determined to earn his respect...

Has just a good an opinion as Somone who thinks the opposite.
Depends on their reasoning. Art means different things to different people, but you can still have good or bad reasons for liking or not liking something.

Someone who has a really intricate and compelling reason for linking the first game compared to someone who can't articulate why they like the second would have a better opinion, I'd say

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Where as you are the type of person when a series or franchise is massively popular you have to go against the grain "I the Intellectual" and talk about how GTA is actually not that good of a series

I do? When?

what's weird is that i find myself deeply filled with dread just by contemplating a world where someone could actually be deeply filled with dread simply by thinking about the future of a video game franchise. so, there's that...

I've been hurt or let down by things I like and people I respect, when that happens I think apprehension isn't that hard to at least understand. But if you find it so odious, feel free to give another thread a try.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the next GTA is probably going to be again set in the past for this very reason. US politics today already sadly resembles GTA's brand of satire, so riffing on it while it's occurring would just feel like beating a dead horse.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We know they can do progressive stories with strong female characters and forward thinking themes as RDR2 showed, so I don't mind if they go back to becoming more South Park-esque with GTAVI

Yeah, the intentions of those two franchises are simply very different. With GTA I prefer them to stay bonkers with a mix of bad taste