• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Couldn't they sell one SKU and let the player chose if they want the Sword or Shield path upon starting a new save game?
This would honestly be the best solution if they ever decide to remove the 2nd version.
That's all that needs to be done. Choose a Sword or Shield Crest at the beginning and that determines your exclusive Pokemon. Unless they're doing the multiple SKU's for greed.
The way the Switch works means that you could have access to both versions by making a new profile which is also why they won't make multiple save files

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
In the mobile version of Pokémon Home Skrelp is the 44th most requested Pokémon for trade in the GTS. Skrelp is a shield exclusive mon and support the theory that more people brought Sword and that no-one is buying both as the sword version Clauncher isn't on the list. Heracross is also a shield exclusive and is another highly requested Pokémon.

No one is buying both version other than a small number of the fan base who are adults.
We already both agree that a minority of players buy both versions—the disagreement is on the relative number, and I suppose the age of the buyers. I don't think you can draw any arguable conclusions about either of those, since all we have is anecdotal evidence. Having said that, anecdotally, the only time I had both versions was in elementary school, and I had a friend of the same age who bought both more often than I did, so I'm less inclined to believe it's just adults doing it.

As for the trading statistics, there's nothing there that indicates how many people do or don't buy both versions. The most you can get out of that is that, among the people who buy only one version, significantly more people bought Sword than Shield. People who bought both wouldn't be trading for exclusives, so you wouldn't expect to see them affecting trade popularity either way. If anything, one could argue that the lack of demand for Clauncher suggests that people who bought Shield also tended to buy Sword—if they hadn't bought Sword, wouldn't there be more demand for Clauncher? I don't think that's actually the case, but it illustrates the limitations of this sort of data for drawing such a conclusion.

Nov 1, 2017
Not at all though.

How it currently works is: I search for Shield players because I 100% know that they have a pokémon that I don't have as a Sword player.

What the other idea is proposing is: - Hey, do you have a rattata? RNG hates me so I can't catch it in my game
- Sorry dude, I also don't have Rattata!
Why aren't you using the GTS to trade? What happens when a Shield player doesn't have a Pokemon you need?

Nov 1, 2017
Sure GTS is the way to go, but what about those trades in HOME that don't trigger trade-evolutions?
I'm not sure, what about them specifically? I don't think HOME would have any impact on a hypothetical one version Pokemon where your available Pokemon are determined by RNG but I haven't used much of it since I don't want to pay.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
That's all that needs to be done. Choose a Sword or Shield Crest at the beginning and that determines your exclusive Pokemon. Unless they're doing the multiple SKU's for greed.

You think a company would do that?
Just ignore practices and features that would benefit the player in favor of greed cause they can get away with it?

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Like, it takes money to have to print two slightly different carts, and everything else that comes with two versions. It is obvious that the profits of having two SKUs outweight the logistics and extra spending.

It always feels like GF gives the short stick to the people who support them the most.
"Bought both versions Sw/Sh? How bout we reward you by making you only pay once for DLC? lol jk pay up."

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
My best friend always buys both, and lately she doesn't even play any of them, she didn't play sumo and she just started playing sword last month I think, but I doubt she's gonna finish it.

For some reason my brother also bought the double pack, I asked if he was planing on playing both and he said he might after finishing one, but so far he hasn't started the second one.

They make too much money selling 2 games to the same people, they won't stop doing it.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two things I know about Pokemon fans, they will accept anything and will defend everything. Gamefreak should do a lot of things, but they won't because they have no incentive to. Hell, they don't even have to defend or respond to criticism because they have millions of PR people who will do it for them.

Expecting anything to change with this company and how it handles this IP is a lost cause.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
They'll never stop selling two versions of the same game for the same reason they'll never make a decent game again: people are so attached to this brand that they'll buy whatever they put out in whatever form they put out.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I have no issues with that, it's part of the charm of the series. Now having to buy the DLC twice if you own both versions is shitty as fuck and I won't change my stance on that. There's no defending that crap.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It's a relic from a long gone age that only justifies its existence through financial redundancy. I don't personally care, but a single SKU wouldn't be unwelcomed change.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
On the list of things I'd like to see Game Freak change, this isn't event part of it. It's a non-issue.

Jun 6, 2018
Two versions is fun. You get interactivity between friends of discussing version differences, trading etc.

what isn't cool is selling double packs but then expecting that people buy the dlc twice. Dlc should be one purchase applied to both games. Normally a third version would combine two games and add post game so why can't dlc follow this procedure too? My girlfriend has shield and I have sword but she would prefer I play and beat the dlc then give her the Pokémon she needa and gmax her Pokémon for her because spending 90 aud for both of us to get an extra hour and a half of content is a joke.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
You're absolutely right OP, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

For all of you guys who enjoy trading, you'd still be able to trade with a single version. No one is stopping you. My two friends who play it and I all ended up buying Sword. Newsflash: we are still allowed to trade with each other, so I can confirm trading within a single version is still enabled, despite what I've heard on this thread. But guess what: we'll never complete the Pokédex! Trade as much as you want. But if other people can't (or don't want to) trade, why should they be forced to? Why not make their lives a little bit easier, by removing the possibility you buy the same version as your friend?

If having all Pokémon accessible in a single version makes you stop trading - well, I guess it was never fun in the first place then!

I bet a lot of the people who support the idea of two versions are the same people who went mad over "Dexit". And then complained about how bad looking and archaic, and easy the games were. But the Pokémon fan base gets the game it deserves really. If you want a game with good production values, good progression, and innovation, you should try embracing modernity across the board. Dropping outdated practices is good, and GF should absolutely drop the two versions thing. But no, the fan base is averse to progress, so yeah, beating the Elite 4 will become ever easier, completing the Pokédex will become increasingly impossible if you haven't been playing for the past 20 years, and the games will look worse and worse compared to competitors.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think trading is fun, it's pretty tedious with the codes and stuff and I don't like bothering ppl to trade a Pokemon. I like the GTS but the one from Home is pretty much unusable.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Thanks for making this thread. I was actually doing some research on Gameboy ROM sizes and complexity to see if there was any reason why it was two games to being with.

Since I didn't finish, I'll only talk about the new games. There is no reason whatsoever to have more than one version. If they want to have "teams"/versions, which I'm not a fan, they could easily introduce an option to choose inside the game "Are you team Red?" "Do you want to play the sword version?".

So at least today, they have no excuse. Even by design. They could launch it as a single game with options.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want the opposite. I want both versions to be more different.

If Fire Emblem Fates could do it, so can Pokemon!

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon's whole business model is about giving you opportunities to spend more money; all these decisions work together and none of it is accidental. They'll keep the two versions because they know that some percentage of people buy both. They only give you the single save file so that if you ever want to replay the story you'll need to either pay for Pokemon Home to keep your Pokemon or just buy the other version. They've taken GTS out of the main game and offloaded it to the app where you'll be exposed to more opportunities for spending money. Some Pokemon are now exclusive to the Sword/Shield DLC, and of course the DLC is two different SKUs that must be be paid for separately. Sword/Shield do require Nintendo's paid online service to do anything online, but they DON'T support the cloud save functionality; you need to pay a separate subscription fee to back up your Pokemon.

And the excuse is, of course, that you don't have to pay for any of it. You can still just buy one version and trade like you always have. It's just that now you have so many more opportunities to open your wallet if you want to, no pressure, honest. Basically all the same excuses EA's PR lizard people give when they get questioned about their monetization practices, but people always want to treat Pokemon with kid gloves.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Pokemon's whole business model is about giving you opportunities to spend more money; all these decisions work together and none of it is accidental. They'll keep the two versions because they know that some percentage of people buy both. They only give you the single save file so that if you ever want to replay the story you'll need to either pay for Pokemon Home to keep your Pokemon or just buy the other version. They've taken GTS out of the main game and offloaded it to the app where you'll be exposed to more opportunities for spending money. Some Pokemon are now exclusive to the Sword/Shield DLC, and of course the DLC is two different SKUs that must be be paid for separately. Sword/Shield do require Nintendo's paid online service to do anything online, but they DON'T support the cloud save functionality; you need to pay a separate subscription fee to back up your Pokemon.

And the excuse is, of course, that you don't have to pay for any of it. You can still just buy one version and trade like you always have. It's just that now you have so many more opportunities to open your wallet if you want to, no pressure, honest. Basically all the same excuses EA's PR lizard people give when they get questioned about their monetization practices, but people always want to treat Pokemon with kid gloves.
I'd say in the case of Pokemon when you buy one of their games there isn't really any pressure to engage with those things. It's not like you load up the game and get hit by a "Today's Message" about Pokemon Home, alternate versions, downloading the app etc. You can play one of these games and basically be blissfully unaware of all of that stuff.

Are they milking the people who get crazy into the game? For sure, but I really wouldn't say they're in your face about it and pressuring players like almost every other game that has related apps, subscriptions and MTX.

(That is to say, criticise Game Freak for their model, but let's not pretend they're pressuring players to engage in said model, it's so extremely easy to play Pokemon Sword or Shield and be almost completely unaware of all of this ancillary stuff. If anything it's more insidious than how you're putting it.)

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I know the steelbook combo pack for Sun and Moon sold out almost in a day. I think US&M and SWSH did one as well, with similar results.
I know brothers that buy the combo every time because it's easier.

I think they're the only people I know who buy the combo. I don't know anyone who buys both games.

Feb 6, 2019
It's one of the most blatant examples of money-grubbing corporate greed, and so many people just eat it up. The amount of shameless sycophants and/or naive people defending it is embarrassing.

They could release a single version of the game and have you pick an option at the start.

There is only one reason for this and that's to squeeze more money out of consumers wallets.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone who thinks this is because of money, don't you think it'd be far more efficient to only manage inventory of one SKU? I wouldn't be surprised if any extra revenue generated from double dippers is completely negated by keeping up with and predicting the split in popularity between versions.

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Trading and battling with one SKU? Impossible!

TCG_EN_boxart.png

Oh.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't they sell one SKU and let the player chose if they want the Sword or Shield path upon starting a new save game?
Of course they can. Lots of RPGs lock you into the character you create and the path it takes right at the beginning. Imagine if an RPG gave you two choices, and the second path costs you additional $60. This is what it is with Pokemon.

Jan 10, 2018
Your read on this is completely wrong. For example, I'm a Pokémon fan who doesn't like it. I don't think your straw man really applies to anyone.

Guys, I also can't read, but...
Literally every single thing Gamefreak and Nintendo does is about money. They cut every corner possible, pinch every single penny. That's how you end up with a Vita like game with less effort and graphics than games than sell 100k vs 15 million.

Nintendo with Pokemon is the embodiment of the worst of Capitalism. Stop defending this.
Anyone saying "it's to make connections between players" is a bit naive, imo.
There's no good reason not to have it all in one release and not find some other way to split players up to add incentive for trading. Like I dunno, randomly having a bunch of unobtainable Pokemon per file or just letting the player choose which version of the game they want to play at the start of a playthrough like someone else suggested.

Of course they'll never do that, and people will continue defending that for some reason.
Honestly, the lengths people go to defend two versions of pokemon is sorta ridiculous.

It IS all about the MONEY.

In Sword and Shield, it's much tedious to complete the pokedex, especially since they removed the GTS. There is zero reason to the two version thing besides money.
Why should they? Its a shitty money grabbing technique even a lot of fans try to defend it.

"But its about trading and through that finding new friends" lmao imagine being this naive.
They will scam customers as long as they keep paying
How they get away with selling the exact game with like 2 or 3 very minor differences is beyond me. The Pokemon fanbase will lap anything up.
Two things I know about Pokemon fans, they will accept anything and will defend everything. Gamefreak should do a lot of things, but they won't because they have no incentive to. Hell, they don't even have to defend or respond to criticism because they have millions of PR people who will do it for them.

Expecting anything to change with this company and how it handles this IP is a lost cause.
It's one of the most blatant examples of money-grubbing corporate greed, and so many people just eat it up. The amount of shameless sycophants and/or naive people defending it is embarrassing.

They could release a single version of the game and have you pick an option at the start.

There is only one reason for this and that's to squeeze more money out of consumers wallets.

And of course, we have calm and measured responses, steaming with cleverness and insights, to dumb posts...
There's actual game design and encouraging to connect for making two versions. It's not all about money.

But fuck do I know

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone who thinks this is because of money, don't you think it'd be far more efficient to only manage inventory of one SKU? I wouldn't be surprised if any extra revenue generated from double dippers is completely negated by keeping up with and predicting the split in popularity between versions.
Uh no?
A lot of other smaller games(including Pokémon spinoffs) can have two versions so I imagine in most cases the profitability outweighs this theoretical cost.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I also can't read, but...

And of course, we have calm and measured responses, steaming with cleverness and insights, to dumb posts...

But fuck do I know
Well, what do you know? I play Pokemon, so don't presume that the ones speaking out on this are just looking from afar. There's no player benefiting reason to have the versions split up in a way that can't be done with a single release.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017

The way you word it makes the state of franchise seem comical...

Jan 10, 2018
User banned (1 week): hostility, prior ban for hostility
I mean, yeah, you can't read. None of that supports the idea that actual Pokémon fans aren't tired of this and the only people complaining are just ignorant trolls or something.

Your very smart way of dropping the plural in also can't read to turn it into a straight up insult attacking me, is a charming reminder who you are as a human. For that I'm grateful. However, yes I agree with you that the majority of Pokemon fans see the dual versions as what what it was intended in 1995, a greedy money grab by a small group of japanese devs which will be defended by dumb mouth breathers on american gaming forums in 2020, being fooled by heinous PR which tells them to pick a side and trade.

Game Freak played the longcon here and only a few Pokemon fans dare to speak out against this hideous opression. And yes, noone was or ever will be insulting towards Pokemon fans, the very thing I wrongly stated and missleading proved with the quoted posts. Except you.

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
honestly it does no harm in my eyes, i think it's a unique motif for the franchise and I enjoy to see the paralells and differences between the two games and have a culture of "which version are you picking?" "oh cool, im getting the other one".

I don't know, there's a lot to complain about, I feel like this one is harmless.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
honestly it does no harm in my eyes, i think it's a unique motif for the franchise and I enjoy to see the paralells and differences between the two games and have a culture of "which version are you picking?" "oh cool, im getting the other one".

I don't know, there's a lot to complain about, I feel like this one is harmless.
You could have a single release and choose your path/version/team inside.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
That is not how statistics works. Two people in your workforce buying two version is not concrete evidence to support the notion that there are more people buying both versions of the game. Especially when it's a well know fact within the fan base that more people brought Sword over Shield thus suggesting that no-one is really buying both version, otherwise they wouldn't be asking for Shield exclusive Pokémon as they would already have access to them.
sure, but there are also other people in this thread that mentioned several people they knew got both versions.

And if you wanna talk about "thats not how things work", lolololol at saying "more people bought sword, therefore people arent buying both clearly".

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fun little gimmick. I don't see the big deal. Selling double packs is greedy as hell though.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
There's actual game design and encouraging to connect for making two versions. It's not all about money.
You're right Nintendo and Gamefreak curated this experience just for us gamers. We shouldn't be mad or disappointed that one game is split into two and then pay walled separately. We should be THANKFUL. And money was definitely not a goal here. If they didn't charge $60 for each, the devs would literally starve to death. The goal was solely to entertain us gamers. We are not worthy.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Yeah I never understood why people don't get more upset with Nintendo for doing things like this and only allowing one Animal Crossing town per Switch.

Jan 10, 2018
The obversation that there a few who go against the idea and marketing of Pokemon and buy both versions always make me think....and?

The idea being pondered with:

Pokemon is built around people buying both versions and 30 years of millions of marketing invested, telling people to pick a side, socialize and trade were simply designed to distract from this apparently hideous business practice. Seems like a weird way to run your business in particular when you know the fans would lap up everything anyway.

You're right Nintendo and Gamefreak curated this experience just for us gamers. We shouldn't be mad or disappointed that one game is split into two and then pay walled separately. We should be THANKFUL. And money was definitely not a goal here. If they didn't charge $60 for each, the devs would literally starve to death. The goal was solely to entertain us gamers. We are not worthy.

Point in case.

Oct 27, 2017
I brought up thid point and people called me selfish and entitled.

This whole trading excuse doesn't fly for me. It is easy to solve. Just make it so you choose one or the other at the start of the game and can't change after you start the save. Easy.

Last edited: