• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If it's Sunday, when is "next Saturday"?

• In 6 days

Votes: 572 83.6%
  • In 13 days

Votes: 102 14.9%
  • Yesterday

Votes: 10 1.5%

• Total voters

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even though the calendar shows Sunday at the beginning of the week it's still considered to be part of the weekend. Therefore they mean in 6 days

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This thread title hurts me. Please use "Upcoming" or "This" or something.

"coming immediately after the present one in order, rank, or space."

6 days is the present one, 13 is the NEXT one.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
well the next saturday coming up. but they would need to say saturday after this if they meant next next

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
On Saturday or This Saturday= the nearest Saturday.
Next Saturday = Saturday next week.

Course in this case both are the same. If someone said next Wednesday on Tuesday, I would assume they meant Wednesday next week though.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The more interesting question would be if someone says "Next Saturday" and it's currently Friday, which day do they mean?

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I'm still gonna get clarification.

Blew my mind when my wife told me Australia consider Sunday the end of the week and not the beginning.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If this was said on a Monday, it would bother me more, I guess.
(I'm from a place where the first day of the week is Monday)

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
This Saturday - upcoming Saturday
Next Saturday - the one after that

But I also think of weeks as Sunday-Saturday. If someone went Monday-Sunday this would make Sunday confusing.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On Sunday next Saturday means in 6 days. If you use the same phrase any day starting Monday it means the following Saturday, 13 days from the Sunday in question

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
next Saturday = Saturday after next

if it's the actual next Saturday, you only need to say Saturday or this Saturday.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
...the next Saturday.

If someone said "next Saturday" to me and they meant fucking yesterday I'd never speak to them again.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd personally say "this upcoming Saturday" for clarity's sake, but this invariably refers to 6 days from now.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
My brain usually processes "next Saturday" as "13 days" and "this Saturday" as "6 days" because it's contextualizing the day as being within "this" week (Sunday starts the week here).

"No, not this Saturday, next Saturday"

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It shouldn't be ambiguous at all. This Saturday would mean the one in the same week as you're in with next Saturday being, well... the next one. So in this case it would mean in 13 days. But most people would say it meaning in six days. It gets muddier when people consider Monday the start of the week.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
The 13th is next Saturday.
The 6th is this Saturday.
But the next Saturday is the 6th.

So it's both maybe? lol

Oct 25, 2017
Next typically means the one after this coming saturday in the strictest interpretation
However in this case with saturday almost a whole week away, I was assume from context that they intend the nearest upcoming saturday
but if it's important I'd confirm the date number to be sure

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
It takes 28 years - 1 day for or 29 years - 1 day if we are around the century mark. In order to have the same Saturday

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
This, next, and upcoming all relay the closest thing you are referencing to me. If you mean the one after the nearest, that is "the following <insert whatever>

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
For me the week is Monday to Sunday, so if you say it on Sunday then it means the Saturday next week (6 days later). If you say it on Monday then it means the Saturday the week after (13 days later)

but English is not my native language so eh lol