Remakes of FF6 and Chrono Trigger in HD-2D?

• Fuck yes

Votes: 533 63.7%
  • Fuck yeah

Votes: 304 36.3%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's some hyperbole chill. Go play FF6 then. And if 6 does get the HD2D treatment the original will still exist for you to play.

The problem is, no, it doesn't. These ugly-ass versions, like the iOS version before them, would effectively replace the original games because they'll be the only ones Square wants to sell or support. And eventually there aren't gonna be working SNES consoles anymore. I don't exactly have one lying around.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The problem is, no, it doesn't. These ugly-ass versions, like the iOS version, replace the original games. Eventually there aren't gonna be working SNES consoles anymore. I don't exactly have one lying around.
You can have a problem with the mobile version replacing the original, and that's valid and something they actually did. But in no way will an HD2D version replace anything. There isn't anything to replace because it would be an entirely separate product. You don't see SE taking 7 classic off of stores because of Remake.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg

Is there someone that wants to make the argument that they wouldn't buy this over the Mobile/Steam version of Final Fantasy VI?

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Because Octopath looks like shit, and DQ3 looks similarly like shit. I don't want FFVI made into a different game with an incongruous, ugly art style. I want to play FFVI.
I never liked the look of Octopath but DQ3 does look like an improvement to me. Did you dislike what they did with DQ 4-6 on the DS? To me this seems like the same idea.

The only downside I see is that (unless I remember wrong) those games were designed to allow camera rotation giving you some interesting angles, but this looks more like a diorama from a fixed view.
dragon-quest-vi-ds-remake-screenshot.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is there someone that wants to make the argument that they wouldn't buy this over the Mobile/Steam version of Final Fantasy VI?

I wouldn't. It looks like a cheap mobile game, just of a different kind than the crappy FFVI iOS version. It has that same cheap "nothing on screen fits together" look that so many modern gacha games have.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Am I the only one who wants an FF6 remake to look like FF7R? Watching the intergrade Yuffie gameplay videos and I just cant stop imagining running around with Sabin and bodying people.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is, no, it doesn't. These ugly-ass versions, like the iOS version before them, would effectively replace the original games because they'll be the only ones Square wants to sell or support. And eventually there aren't gonna be working SNES consoles anymore. I don't exactly have one lying around.

They already don't support it though. It's dead Jim.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Am I the only one who wants an FF6 remake to look like FF7R? Watching the intergrade Yuffie gameplay videos and I just cant stop imagining running around with Sabin and bodying people.

I'm of the opinion that Final Fantasy VI is going to get that treatment after Final Fantasy VII Remake is complete.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Nah I want 6 in the vein of 7R. This vignette bullshit just gives me a headache. Why bother?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg

Can tell you right now, I genuinely think these look awful. I was NOT a fan of how Octopath looks and I hope they don't just keep doing it. It very much bothers me how out of focus things become the further from the center you are. I had this same problem with the Links Awakening remake that I couldn't finish it.

Not for me.

DoctorChimp

Oct 6, 2020
Texas yall
I feel like the next Square game that should get the remake treatment is FFIX. It's aged terribly but it's, in my opinion, the best FF all around.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Can tell you right now, I genuinely think these look awful. I was NOT a fan of how Octopath looks and I hope they don't just keep doing it. It very much bothers me how out of focus things become the further from the center you are. I had this same problem with the Links Awakening remake that I couldn't finish it.

Not for me.

It's like imitating the limitations of first gen VR on purpose.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
After Eiyuden Chronicle went for the HD-2D style last year, now Square is taking the style that they came up with for Octopath and are applying it to a remake of Dragon Quest 3.

So last night was the final straw. No more tip-toeing around:

Square needs to remake FF6 and Chrono Trigger in the HD-2D style. Fuck everything else.

Get on that shit, Square. Do it.

Yeah, no. Not in this soul-less style. FF6 needs to remain in its gritty world and CT'd art is untouchable.

If we're asking Square for the moon, give me a re-release of Xenogears with an un-fucked/complete Disc 2.

Good god. Mobile/Steam ain't great, but this actually offends me.

I hate that my eyes have seen this, and my long weekend is ruined because of this.

Last edited:

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
FF 1 to 6 and Terranigma - HD 2D
FF 8 TO X, Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve - remake like 7
PLEASE!!!

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

I would buy this over the mobile version for sure, but it's not what I would want from an HD2D version of FF6. The way DQ3 was adapted looks great. And I would expect the same care put into a FF6 conversion.

The HD2D style is great, and very well received, but some people really hate it. The good thing about those that hate it is how passionate they are in their hatred because it makes their opinion so easy to ignore. There is no interesting critique worth considering because they simply do not like it on a madly personal level. No useful criticism to take from that.

What I like about the HD2D style is that is a Frankenstein. You have various layers of detail that create this false memory of how 16-bit games looked. Much like how Victor Frankenstein used various humans parts to create a false image of man with his monster. And that monster is beautiful in its own fanciful way.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I would gladly take a HD-2D remake of FFVI but my dream is to have a full 3D remake that sports an aesthetic that tries to render Yoshitaka Amano's art style.

Not an easy task, but have always wanted to see Amano's style come to life as the baseline for in-engine graphics in a game.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I can't disagree.

For the longest time I wished they'd continue with the "chibi" FF look like they did for III and IV with V and VI.
Octopath-style would be preferable now, though.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted a FFVI remake in this style the second I saw Octopath. I can see why they went with DQIII first however. It's simpler visually, mechanically, and is the more popular title in Japan.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any reason why they are doing dragon quest 3 instead of 1 first? Is dragon quest 3 considered the ff6 of dragon quest or something? I don't know much about the DQ series

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I'm not the only one that actually doesn't like the Octopath style. Everything just looks like a garish mess to me. The bloom lighting abuse, overuse of depth of field and clashing of mismatching tile art. But the worst might actually be the constant warping on the character and enemy sprites when the camera moves. That just looks horrendous. DQ3 is their best attempt yet, but I don't want it for either FF6 or Chrono Trigger.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have Chrono Trigger remade like a modern Dragon Quest game, like the old Chrono Trigger box/concept art.