• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think of Sekiro?

• Love it. It's one of From's best titles, if not the best.

Votes: 491 28.8%
  • Liked it a ton. Has some small issues, but it's still great.

Votes: 603 35.4%
  • Liked it, but it wasn't anything spectacular.

Votes: 325 19.1%
  • Meh, it's there I guess.

Votes: 157 9.2%
  • Disliked it. The game has some serious issues.

Votes: 78 4.6%
  • Really disliked it. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Votes: 50 2.9%

• Total voters

NazzyQ

Apr 6, 2018
Best FromSoft game by far. It really clicked for me in a way that Bloodborne never did. The moment-to-moment combat is so good that I'm constantly jumping back into the game, despite getting the platinum trophy several weeks ago!

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I never fully felt like I grasped the combat. Despite being more accessible I found it the least inviting FROM game and unfortunately gave up around the giant ape. Played through and love all the Souls games & Bloodborne is possibly my favourite game of all time but Sekiro just wasn't for me

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
My only problem with it is the NG+ not offering much, besides that i think it's one of from software's best, behind Bloodborne

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
The Levels and Traversal is incredibly fun to play through and the game's greatest strength even if it was harder to memorize the layout of the world. The Prosthetic arm attachments just didn't do enough for me. One of the things I appreciated was the faster paced action but I felt that the Parry system wasn't really interesting at all though does have some really cool moments and much prefer Bloodborne by far when it comes to combat particularly when it offers so many interesting trick weapons to play through.As far as I'm concerned stealth is a huge failure in the game. I thought some of the bosses were disappointing though really appreciated the simpler more straight forward story telling and really did enjoy the visuals and art.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
I'm ok if they ditched souls for this kind of games. As in games without all the Soulsborne customisations, and a more restricted selection of combat options.

The lack of multiplayer is... Welcome too. Even if I do like the concept of Souls PvP: the unofficial "honourable invader" thing was the worst, no one invades to make life hell for the subject, it was always duels. Like, I remember a portion of those people finding those stealth magic to be taboo, and I was like.. "what were you supposed to use them on if not to sneak up on others..." And the estus thing... Ugh

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I quite liked it but I didn't like how it ended up feeling like a boss rush. There were so many mini-bosses and bosses it felt there was very little downtime between bashing my head against the next brick wall. I primarily play From Software games for exploration, and this was the worst in that respect, aside from the prosthetics there wasn't much of a reward.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
I still prefer Dark Souls. I like the vague world with less dialogue and I like finding gear.

I think I might have liked Sekiro more if there was more stealth options and opportunities. I just wasn't digging the parry-focused combat.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
I'm going to start it today.

I finished Bloodborne and Dark Souls III, but I'm at a point in my professional life where I don't know if I'll have the patience to endure the learning curve.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Still playing it. Just applied the patch but I will not get too deeply into that.

I don't like the Bull fight (unpatched or patched). I think it's cheap and takes away from the whole experience. I am concerned that there will be other fights ahead that are like that but I like going into a new area and killing everyone that I can without being spotted.
I like the game but my failure to communicate my gripes with it led to a ban and so I want to be clear about a few things this time around.

- Overall, Sekiro has been enjoyable for me so far. I feel the improvement in my skills each time I revisit areas. I am still discovering new things in old places.
- Boss fights are horrible for me. There are a few that have been fun so far (Gyoubu) but the rest have been boring for me. I am more interested in depleting health than I am in the fights themselves.

My conclusion is that for someone who owns Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1-3, this is probably the game I say goodbye to FROM for a while because I no longer have the patience or dexterity for difficult games after I finish this one. Sekiro has been nice because it is a different setting and it has even scratched every Tenchu itch I had. This does not mean you should get pissed off at me for saying this, by all means continue buying future FROM games. It's just that for me, this is probably it.

Wha'ts wrong with the bull fight? I remember getting there and killing it the firt try. Was not impressed at all by it. Or do you mean that?

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it, but some small issues. Very little replayability for me due to builds not really being a thing. Missed online too.

But as a SP narrative, it was amazing.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
wow...the differences in opinion concerning this game is crazy! i'm playing through dark souls remastered right now on switch (beat it once, now on NG+) and am loving it. I also beat Bloodborne and started DS2 and 3. I'm thinking about getting this game, but it is a bummer reading that RPG elements are non-existent in this title. Is there really no leveling up or anything? Armor? Weapons?

Neveridel

Jun 3, 2019
Sekiro is really a leap forward for me in terms of fighting, level design and movement.
But I would really like to have some builds and fashion in it.
My body is ready for NG+

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Wha'ts wrong with the bull fight? I remember getting there and killing it the firt try. Was not impressed at all by it. Or do you mean that?

To be honest, it has to do with how long it took for me to figure out how to beat it. Perhaps the fight itself is not bad, it's me who has a problem with it.

Let me share my experience. To begin, I am not a very good gamer, by that I mean that I don't platinum games, I don't 100% games and watching me play games would suck and bore you. It's why I don't play MP because I am not competitive either. I say this because FROM games were the exact opposite of games up my alley. There was no way in hell a guy like me could ever, ever be technically skilled enough to play these games.

And then one day, I played Bloodborne. And died. But I learned. And each boss was a lesson that felt fair to me as I tweaked my gear and items to try again, getting better and better. This happened for Dark Souls 1-3. And the same happened for Sekiro, right until after Gyoubu.

Gyoubu was an amazing fight for me because when I first went in, I died instantly. I couldn't figure it out. How do I beat this guy? So I backtracked, got some skills and did the one thing I had refused to do all game, hold L1. Suddenly, I realized I could block this guy. I realized that I could grapple him too. I remembered that guy who said something about gunpowder and I thought wait a second... and then I changed to the firecracker and omg,yes it worked. That self discovery was super satisfying when I landed the finisher and the fight itself was responsible for shaping my approach. Going from a total dimwit to a shinobi trained by the experience itself is why I loved the Gyoubu fight.

The bull misled me time and time again. I figured out that I could counter kick it? But then what? I couldn't block, side stepping was pretty much useless. After many tries of tweaking skills and prosthetics, I gave up. You know it had not even occured to me that I should chase it. And that's the point, I was not smart enough to immediately see that. But even after I did, the fight was uninspiring for what I have come to expect from FROM games and even after beating it, I did not feel triumphant. I just felt stupid.

Right now I have taken a break from all boss fights, I am just clearing areas over and over to see how far I can get without being hit. I'm grinding basically and it has paid off because I keep discovering new things in old places. So in a sense, thanks to the bull, I have slowed down to explore, but man oh man, that fight felt like a slap in the face for me.

TL;DR: I am not a very smart gamer, nor do I have the reflexes of a pro gamer. The bull reminded me of that and it sucked.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I adore it.

An absolutely excellent experience, and demonstrates that FROM are at their best when doing new things.

I avidly await Sekiro DLC (given FROM's pedigree) but other than that I want them to keep coming up with new and interestint ideas.

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyable game but after completing it I had no drive to ever play it again. Which for a From game is ridiculous. The combat is really good but once you figure out the trick it becomes pretty trivial.

Also the game wasn't nearly Tenchu enough for my taste.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
It's my least favorite From game since Dark Souls 2, and I think in the end I might actually prefer DS2 over it. I understand why some people like it as much as they do, but the stripping away of all the RPG elements and the ridiculous emphasis on parrying as the primary focus of the gameplay really just did not work for me as someone who's generally preferred a more agile, dodgey, projectile-heavy gameplay focus for every From game since the original HK release of Demon's Souls.

And yes, I'm aware you can beat most bosses without parrying, but doing so requires you to play the game in such weird and specific ways and spend so much time practicing ridiculously hard fights that it's just not worth the time or energy for me specifically. I'd rather play something I'm actually having fun with.
Basically my opinion, except that I like DS2 much more than 3. Input lag on X1X was so noticeable that it severely compromised combat, which is all Sekiro is about. And the camera can get really atrocious in close quarters.

I'll never not shake my head when people praise Sekiro's combat as anything more than serviceable, too. I didn't see anything revolutionary in it, and Souls is so superior in its variety of builds, weapons and approaches it's not even remotely a contest.

Sekiro is OK.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Much better gameplay than other From games. Very fun and I love the aesthetic. I liked the parry system because it felt like you were in an actual sword fight. Loved the fact that it forced you into situations so you have to react and play well. The vertical aspects of the game was nice. The ninja tools were probably a bit too strong for a lot of things. The stuff i liked the least about the souls games wasn't present like the invasions and all of that. Glad you couldn't just blow through the game by just leveling up so high its so hard to die (without actually killing bosses at least). Also glad for not rolling everywhere as the primary means of avoiding attacks lol.

I want Otogi 3 now. Bring back the full stylish action.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
And to think that Huber tried to get it into the Hall of Greats during the honeymoon phase.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
wow...the differences in opinion concerning this game is crazy! i'm playing through dark souls remastered right now on switch (beat it once, now on NG+) and am loving it. I also beat Bloodborne and started DS2 and 3. I'm thinking about getting this game, but it is a bummer reading that RPG elements are non-existent in this title. Is there really no leveling up or anything? Armor? Weapons?
You can level your health+defense every few mini bosses you kill

You can level your damage after every main boss + get a way to buy levels later on

Your prosthetic tools (basically, this games magic system) can each be upgraded several times with each upgrade functioning more as a mod to the base tool more than a flat upgrade with you being able to keep each individual version of the tools

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
To be honest, it has to do with how long it took for me to figure out how to beat it. Perhaps the fight itself is not bad, it's me who has a problem with it.

Let me share my experience. To begin, I am not a very good gamer, by that I mean that I don't platinum games, I don't 100% games and watching me play games would suck and bore you. It's why I don't play MP because I am not competitive either. I say this because FROM games were the exact opposite of games up my alley. There was no way in hell a guy like me could ever, ever be technically skilled enough to play these games.

And then one day, I played Bloodborne. And died. But I learned. And each boss was a lesson that felt fair to me as I tweaked my gear and items to try again, getting better and better. This happened for Dark Souls 1-3. And the same happened for Sekiro, right until after Gyoubu.

Gyoubu was an amazing fight for me because when I first went in, I died instantly. I couldn't figure it out. How do I beat this guy? So I backtracked, got some skills and did the one thing I had refused to do all game, hold L1. Suddenly, I realized I could block this guy. I realized that I could grapple him too. I remembered that guy who said something about gunpowder and I thought wait a second... and then I changed to the firecracker and omg,yes it worked. That self discovery was super satisfying when I landed the finisher and the fight itself was responsible for shaping my approach. Going from a total dimwit to a shinobi trained by the experience itself is why I loved the Gyoubu fight.

The bull misled me time and time again. I figured out that I could counter kick it? But then what? I couldn't block, side stepping was pretty much useless. After many tries of tweaking skills and prosthetics, I gave up. You know it had not even occured to me that I should chase it. And that's the point, I was not smart enough to immediately see that. But even after I did, the fight was uninspiring for what I have come to expect from FROM games and even after beating it, I did not feel triumphant. I just felt stupid.

Right now I have taken a break from all boss fights, I am just clearing areas over and over to see how far I can get without being hit. I'm grinding basically and it has paid off because I keep discovering new things in old places. So in a sense, thanks to the bull, I have slowed down to explore, but man oh man, that fight felt like a slap in the face for me.

TL;DR: I am not a very smart gamer, nor do I have the reflexes of a pro gamer. The bull reminded me of that and it sucked.

Amazing how my experience was completely different. I just held dodge and "danced" behind the bull and smacked his ass until dead. I remember thinking: wait, there's no more phases? This is it?

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
Second best FS game after Bloodborne pretty much all because of the combat, replay value was so so after a couple of runs.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Great game but is lacking heavily on NG+-department compared to Souls-games (no enemy changes etc), therefore giving no replay value apart from going for different endings. Combat is fun and I loved different ways to try exploit minibosses and bosses.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Easy Allies have a thing called Hall of Greats. It's a fun thing where each person nominates a game they think is worthy, while others play devil's advocate and question whether the game is worthy.

Huber nominated Sekiro last time around.

I love this stuff. Huber is also a great hype man, so he can be really convincing.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I'll never not shake my head when people praise Sekiro's combat as anything more than serviceable, too. I didn't see anything revolutionary in it, and Souls is so superior in its variety of builds, weapons and approaches it's not even remotely a contest.

Sekiro is OK.

Agree.

Personally, I think the combat in Bloodborne is way superior to Sekiro and the best of all From games, even if it has less variety than Souls. But it is fast combat done right (except for the stuttery 30 fps). I love the focus on dodging and aggressive combat, while positioning and distance is still important.

Field

Oct 29, 2017
For whatever reason I didnt enjoy exploring and everything in between boss fights. Ive loved the exploration in all previous Souls games. So for me I think it was a well made game but I didnt have much fun with it.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I liked it a ton. I rate a bit below the previous games though,for reasons like story and characters felt weaker, there was quite a bit of reuse of ashina castle and bosses and I'd like a bit more variability on the gameplay,the prosthetic tools didn't feel like a core part of the combat,everything was 90% the sword

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing how my experience was completely different. I just held dodge and "danced" behind the bull and smacked his ass until dead. I remember thinking: wait, there's no more phases? This is it?
Amazing indeed. From my experience on other forums, FROM games can be like that. There were bosses in Bloodborne who were 1 try kills for me but gave other people trouble and vice versa, bosses it took me upwards of 30 tries that others brought down easily. It's really cool when you think about how different peoples' experience with bosses in FROM games can be.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
One of the best combat systems I've ever used, but I missed the build variety and fashion options of Soulsborne. I'd put it in the Dark Souls 3 tier and it's my GOTY so far. Going to go down as one of my favorite action games ever I feel.

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
some of the bosses fights are really over. I know the game is hard and I got platinum trophies with DS3 and Bloodborne but restriction thing and round two fights been something made me feel sick of the game.

I am not sure if I am going to be excited about the next game.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it, maybe my favorite from them.

The combat is so good, bosses are a million times better than the crap we usually get in souls games. Having only the sword made those battles way more refined.

I love how the prosthetics provide more ways to experiment without grinding. Almost every boss/miniboss interact with a prosthetic. Whether they weak to poison from sabimaru because they comen down from a lineage of okami, or they are weak to fire because they have red eyes, or the sound made by the finger of someone they cares about drives them crazy. Also, Robertooooooo.

Last edited: