Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a couple games I still play physical because I got good deals on them through amazon.

And I fucking DREAD switching them out all the time.

Digital future is already here, people need to let go so we can fully embrace it

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I think this is a good thing for consumers, that digital purchases are going to have more benefit overall, compared to now there isn't much benefit going all digital other than connivence. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft should give a good reason to go full digital and this is a good way to do that.
I think Nintendo is probably in a good place with their current game cards. They're not cheap to manufacture, but the cost of adding the slot to the console is. I think it's probably a sub $1 part.

A spinning disc drive is a different beast. I'm thinking that it's at least a $40 part. Probably pricier.

MrSpiffing

Oct 30, 2017
As much as I prefer physical discs they seem more and more pointless this gen. A lot games seem to require day one patches now or additional content to be downloaded for the complete experience. What happens X years down the line when you can no longer download the patches? You still have your disc but your potentially left with a broken game. If digital prices come down to physical game levels and there is some sort of roadmap to allow older games work on future hardware I could see myself going digital as I already do with Steam.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't just an Xbox ecosystem thing, but a gradual shift that's happening industry-wide. Amazon and Google are working on streaming platforms, can't use discs there. Sony is investing more in PS Now and has dabbled in a digital only platform with PSP Go and PS TV. Even Nintendo is becoming more and more reliant on digital downloads with many games requiring additional downloads to make up for lack of space on the cartridges.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Tell me about it. I have every expansion for Destiny 2 and a physical disc for the game. There's no way for me to buy/download OG Destiny 2 to circumvent my disc. The disc itself is useless but it's locking like $150 worth of content.

Oct 28, 2017
If I could combo digital convenience with physical pricing I would be down with a disk to digital program.

It kills me to buy digital games for full price when I can get the disc for half or less from Amazon.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
You 100% own your digital purchases though.

Your ability to access a digital purchase on any platform can be revoked at the discretion of the platform holder for any reason they deem fit. You also cannot transfer or sell ownership of digitally owned media on most platforms. That is not 100% ownership.

Valve has mostly been great about putting forth needed consumer protections but they are by and far an exception and they still have the right to revoke access to your purchases they just for the most part don't.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I have a couple games I still play physical because I got good deals on them through amazon.

Digital future is already here, people need to let go so we can fully embrace it

Yes, anytime I fire up the wii u (my only disk-based system left), it's a hunt for where the discs are. Heading into the utility room to switch a disk is annoying.

The only time where I like having physical is for kid friendly games on the Switch or 3DS so they can be played on multiple systems.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
This was always an entirely obvious rationale for why MS wanted to bring physical games into the digital ecosystem at the start of the generation, rather than trying to support two different licensing models and preventing anyone who bought physical games from being able to take advantage of all their future ideas, and having to build out hacky disc-to-digital programs to convert games to digital licenses later on after people have already built up physical libraries.

Of course, there's plenty of valid reasons for why someone would still prefer the old licensing model, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that preference (and market share wise, it probably made a lot more sense), but there were obviously valid reasons for the old 2013 approach that pretty much never got discussed back then, and are beginning to seem more obvious now.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If I could combo digital convenience with physical pricing I would be down with a disk to digital program.

It kills me to buy digital games for full price when I can get the disc for half or less from Amazon.
Pretty much why I won't buy a discless console. Publishers are getting away with charging £60 for games on PSN/XBL. You can very easily find disc copies day 1 for around £40.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Digital-only does not appeal to me at all. Not only do I like owning physical copies of things anyway, but having the option of both digital and physical is beneficial to me as a consumer also. Sometimes I get a great deal on a physical version of a game that that the digital equivalent cannot match. And if the game turns out to be a dud, I can always sell it and get some money back.

Me personally, I will never pay for a disc-less console.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I dunno why everyone wants to hand more power over to the corporations. Sony's customer service is non-existent, same with Nintendo. Microsoft fares much better as far as returns, etc...are concerned but considering the history of other parts of the company, lol.

I also take offense that it's only the hive bubble of 'era' that's afraid of this while I agree. It's because we are a bit more hardcore than most and for the most part pay attention to the game and some of the business side. The 'well, fuck it, I just wanna play a videogame and forget my shitty 9-5' is effectively why we've got play to win, heavy handed pre-order pressure through bonuses, and why paying for peer to peer online access seen as a normal part of business.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, and 99% of gamers are into this idea. The hand wringing about it is probably by far the best example of the ERA/forum bubble.
I'm into the idea and about 90% digital already BUT all the convenience I get from digital is kinda spoiled by the fact that my internet is crap and it takes me two days to download new games sometimes. It's a temporary problem as I'll be moving in a bit but it's not temprorary for a lot of people.

Won't drive me to buying discs but it ain't fun.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely clear and has been since 2013 so this isn't a surprise. What's also clear is that the Xbox eco-system isn't catered towards me but that's okay as I have two other alternatives which have been better for me thus far. Eliminating discs or once again trying to just pushes me away as opposed to pulling me towards them. But it is what it is.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't just an Xbox ecosystem thing, but a gradual shift that's happening industry-wide. Amazon and Google are working on streaming platforms, can't use discs there. Sony is investing more in PS Now and has dabbled in a digital only platform with PSP Go and PS TV. Even Nintendo is becoming more and more reliant on digital downloads with many games requiring additional downloads to make up for lack of space on the cartridges.
Fyi, PS TV is not digital only. It has a game card slot. I agree with you, though.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

You can already buy all your games digitally if you prefer.

Why do other people need to "let go"?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a physical disc for my Xbox. I still buy some backwards compatible games like Arkham Origins at retail because they aren't sold digitally, but when I've been given the choice, I've gone digital for about four years now. I don't have much room for physical media, and it's also just inconvenient to continually swap discs in and out.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about this and I think if they put out a cheap XBOX One S for like $149 (or less would be amazing but unlikely) I could see buying that to have in my guest room. I am constantly moving my Xbox One X between the guest room and the living room depending on if my wife wants the TV while I play, so a small little digital only system might be nice for me. I play most of my multiplayer games on Xbox because that's where my friends are, so not having to move my console between rooms would be great.

Also, if they had a disc-to-digital program around the same time, I could see trading my dozen or so physical discs for digital codes so I could have everything on both systems, no fuss no muss. MOST of my stuff is already digital there anyway and I guess I'm into Live Services games on Xbox where having a disc is kind of irrelevant.

I have a big collection of gaming stuff but for whatever reason, I've mostly stuck on the Playstation side of things. I could see having my Xbox stuff all nice and tidy in digital form being a nice way to free up some space for the inevitable physical games I'll buy on PS4/5 and Switch.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a physical disc for my Xbox. I still buy some backwards compatible games like Arkham Origins at retail because they aren't sold digitally, but when I've been given the choice, I've gone digital for about four years now. I don't have much room for physical media, and it's also just inconvenient to continually swap discs in and out.

I bought RE2 on a disc last month and saved $15. It'll stay in there for months since most of my Xbox games are digital. I don't live in a studio apartment in New York so the box it came isn't an issue. Not having the option to buy games like that in the future offers zero benefits to me as a consumer.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who hated the idea of all physical when this gen started I come to realize I can deal with and prefer digital now. Especially since GCU is dead.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for options, but I'll be buying movies, games and yes even music on disc as long as I can.

If in the future everything should be digital I'll probably have to adapt and I hope by then I'll get more than 4mbps internetz.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But this isn't just true for Xbox. It's the same for every console. Physical is an inconvenience. Stop.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Xboxs commitment to your digital library following you into the future plus game sharing, I am 100% digital on Xbox. Physical games are a major inconvenience when I can get them cheap a couple months after release during a GWG sale and both me and my brother across state have a digital copy.

I still buy PS4 and Switch games exclusively physical though. I have absolutely zero faith in Sony and Nintendo to protect my digital purchases. In fact they have both proven they won't.

Jan 21, 2019
United Kingdom
I want to like the idea of a discless future, but right now it's just feasible for me because of one thing:

I game on a budget. I get almost all of my games second-hand and I trade in ones I won't replay immediately to get some extra cash towards a new game. Unless an all-digital era has cheaper pricing, I can't support it.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Sign me up.

Haven't bought a physical game, album, movie or TV series in years.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Discs are a relic of the past. If there is physical media in next gen consoles, it should be cards.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
How lazy have you got to be to consider physical some massive inconvenience? Digital is more convenient sure, but barely enough for me to care about it more than the price. People who just want 1 option, it's easy enough limit yourselves and will get easier it seems, but I'm happy with both options and will make a stink if either try and take 1 away.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Not really, because when a game get delisted by a publisher, you cannot redownload the game if you uninstalled it from your system as far as I know. It also removes the possiblity for new potential customers to buy it too. As for physical copies, you can always to go to a pawnshop or online to find and buy them.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Buying discs means that you are only playing games on a console and cannot play on other devices. So at this point buying physical discs is becoming a big sacrifice to swallow for the average consumer to handle, especially since you are stuck on console hardware.

Yes, it's inconvenient to have to put a disc in. But the tradeoff is being able to resell my retail single-player games when I'm finished with them. For as long as I have that option, I won't give it up.

And if I'm going to play on Xbox, I'm going to be playing in front of my TV in my living room. I mostly play action-packed games, so I don't want to stream them from my phone, etc. Being "stuck" on console hardware is fine by me.

You own only a digital license, which grants you access to your purchases until the entity who sold them to you shuts down their network. Then, you have nothing. When buying digital items on Xbox Live and PSN, we are often operating under the assumption that they are going to be around indefinitely. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. When you buy a license, you agree to take that risk.

Not really, because when a game get delisted by a publisher, you cannot redownload the game if you uninstalled it from your system as far as I know.

That is generally untrue. Most titles delisted from XBL and PSN can still be re-downloaded if you previously purchased them. The exceptions can fit on one letter-sized sheet of paper.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Discs aren't going to go away completely, at least not yet. Phil Spencer has said multiple times that their philosophy is to give people choice.

That said, digital is fine with me. I started this gen buying discs and now I've converted almost completely to digital. It's more convienent and it makes way more sense for preordering as well since you tend to get access sooner than you would with a disc version, not to mention preloading and such.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all digital on PS4 but tbh the digital rights management for all this stuff is problematic. If Sony decided to block my account... I don't even want to think about the monetary value that is just gone, because they say so. To say nothing of how I'm going to store a library moving forward if Sony decides, one day, to shutter access to these libraries - as Nintendo just did with the Wii store. It's not hand wringing, as it so often gets called... it's a genuine consumer issue, and the current market is going full speed ahead with it.

people don't want to...own a dvd

Weird - I thought I was people, but now I'm not sure.

Last edited:

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Great. We have one friend in our online group who mostly buys physical and we make fun of him for being such a Luddite. Physical games are good for getting lost and scratched. Trading them in just hurts developers. I let my friend borrow a game and next thing I knew, the cheap bastard had traded it in by accident.

Good riddance to physical games. They are dead on PC, it's time for them to die on console.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As long as I still have choice between digital and physical on one type of system sku. Ill be a happy gamer.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Great. We have one friend in our online group who mostly buys physical and we make fun of him for being such a Luddite. Physical games are good for getting lost and scratched. Trading them in just hurts developers. I let my friend borrow a game and next thing I knew, the cheap bastard had traded it in by accident.

Good riddance to physical games. They are dead on PC, it's time for them to die on console.
PC has actual competing stores on a single platform, which keeps competitive pricing for new games. Only way you get good digital prices on console is a sale or game sharing with a friend/family member.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said this in my earlier post but since it was a few paragraphs long, it was likely overlooked so I want to point this out again:

An all-digital console might be a great option for people who primarily play live service games. Apex Legends, Fortnite, PUBG, Rainbow Six, Anthem, Destiny, and countless others have shown that owning a disc can be completely pointless in some cases. Why not have a digital console available for those who would gladly take the option?