Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How can they be so consistenly good after 14 seasons. This series is insane.
Still manages to make me laugh to tears almost every episode.
So far this season is shaping up to be one of the best ever even, not a single average episode, they're all top tier.

Jun 22, 2019
What is the general consensus on Always Sunny's later seasons?

I had such a blast with most of the show over the years.
I personally feel the show hit a massive nosedive around the double digit seasons, although the quality was spotty at times leading up to those.
Some episodes were still fun (in fact "Charlie Work" S10E4 is among my favorite episodes of the whole show), but there were way more misses than hits on the whole, and all the characters becoming more and more simulated caricatures of their former selves over time certainly didn't help either. But around season 10/11 is where I felt a similar "loss of magic" to when Futurama and Simpsons went HD for example.

Season 12 I thought was just reeeally bad for the most part, and I couldn't even bring myself to finish watching season 13. Had to tap out. Couldn't do it.
Caught a couple season 14 episodes on TV and that didn't restore my confidence that I should give it another shot.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What is the general consensus on Always Sunny's later seasons?

I had such a blast with most of the show over the years.
I personally feel the show hit a massive nosedive around the double digit seasons, although the quality was spotty at times leading up to those.
Some episodes were still fun (in fact "Charlie Work" S10E4 is among my favorite episodes of the whole show), but there were way more misses than hits on the whole, and all the characters becoming more and more simulated caricatures of their former selves over time certainly didn't help either. But around season 10/11 is where I felt a similar "loss of magic" to when Futurama and Simpsons went HD for example.

Season 12 I thought was just reeeally bad for the most part, and I couldn't even bring myself to finish watching season 13. Had to tap out. Couldn't do it.
Caught a couple season 14 episodes on TV and that didn't restore my confidence that I should give it another shot.

Bah, I don't get this at all. Series has had more average episode as time went on as expected, but it's still my favorite comedy on television BY FAR. This season especially has been really great so far, could be one of the best.

Jun 22, 2019
Bah, I don't get this at all. Series has had more average episode as time went on as expected, but it's still my favorite comedy on television BY FAR. This season especially has been really great so far, could be one of the best.

Can't comment on the current season, as I only saw the first two episodes (roommates one and the test screening one). They at least weren't physically painful to sit through as some of season 12 and 13, but I certainly didn't enjoy them. It's fine to have different preferences and whatnot, as likewise, I personally don't get at all how some people are completely satisfied with the later seasons. I often had a visceral gut reaction of "this is so bad, WTF happened" and I had to rub my temples through many S12 and S13 episodes.

I'm just curious what the overall perspective on the show is, or whether people who watched the earlier seasons gave up, etc.

Even if you still like the show, you have to admit the entire cast was heavily Flanderized, and people have varying tolerance for that sort of thing.

Last edited:

fivestarman

Oct 28, 2017
I would have to agree that these episodes are some top tier stuff! I've already switched to an all blue diet!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I have a pet theory that Dennis has cancer or something, cause they have him look odd in every ep

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a pet theory that Dennis has cancer or something, cause they have him look odd in every ep
He just old lol. Also he was way more in shape when younger Dennis. At this age, especially next to buff as hell Mac he's gonna look extra scrawny. His demeanor does feel just slightly different this season. Less rage, I guess.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I think that was my favorite this season so far. Dee losing Dennis in the crowd and Dennis vanishing from the petting zoo killed me.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I thought this was the weakest episode in a while. These jokes about texting might've been funny like 5+ years ago but this felt sooo behind the times.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Dennis is still a psychopath. Frank is a dumbass. Charlie is an alpha meerkat. Mac is submissive, sucks at texting and is really gay but not necessarily for Dennis. Dee just sucks.

That meerkat scene LOL!

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I thought this was the weakest episode in a while. These jokes about texting might've been funny like 5+ years ago but this felt sooo behind the times.
The constant emoji use is still relevant enough, but I could have done without them having to literally say the theme of the episode at the end.

I do really like Mac's continued characterization of becoming meeker as he's come out and gotten buff. Now that he's accumulated mass he has nobody to lord it over.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
This season has been so good so far! Loved every episode so far. Charlie's texting was hilarious, the fact that he understands emojis so good makes perfect sense

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
That was on the weaker side but still enjoyable. Commenting on texting in 2019 is not remotely timely. Nonetheless I did enjoy Mac's long texts and his general inability to grasp texting, he's such an old woman. And Charlie's ability to communicate efficiently via emoji was hilarious.
Damn Dee is sexy this season.
Ok everyone is commenting on her face but I'm with you on this. She looks really good. This season has also given her great storylines.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I've liked 1,2 and 4. Episode 3 barely gave me any laughs, but season is a win so far.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up with the season as I kind of forgot it was airing and episode 3 is fucking insane. Everyone dressing up as Dee's old racist caricatures was incredible.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The noir episode was alright. They played things a bit too straight and it felt a bit forced through out. I've been kind of mixed on this season as while there have been some great jokes or moments in each episode most of them haven't really done all that much for me.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
As much as I love actual noir (and they did a good job replicating many noir tropes), this episode didn't work for me. Just kinda didn't care about what was happening and I didn't really laugh much, or at all. I was amused, at best.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Awful, awful episode.

I kept checking the time to see how much was left.

I never like these experimental episodes.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Actually was really enjoying this episode up until it started getting far into the berry conspiracy stuff, which was too much exposition for how little I cared about it

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I couldn't disagree more with you guys. Normally I'm not really into the gimmicky episodes, but they nailed this one. Not only was it funny in it's own right, it was a great pastiche of detective noirs. They really perfectly got that look and feel down. Mac and Dennis, especially, were fun.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Man, I couldn't disagree more with you guys. Normally I'm not really into the gimmicky episodes, but they nailed this one. Not only was it funny in it's own right, it was a great pastiche of detective noirs. They really perfectly got that look and feel down. Mac and Dennis, especially, were fun.

I didn't catch this until reading a recap, but Charlie thinking that maraschino cherries are the ones you use for pie is pretty damn funny.

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Great episode.

This whole season has been very strong.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
liked this episode a lot. a nice breather from the usual pace and super silly. always need at least one per season.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
liked this episode a lot. a nice breather from the usual pace and super silly. always need at least one per season.
Feels like the entire later seasons are like this though. Constant gimmick episodes/self contained around a single point and stretched over the entire episode. Texting, Noir, Thunder Gun, and a couple more from last season Im forgetting.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Um, yeah I loved the Sunny Noir episode, lol. Mac and Dennis' gangster affects were dead-on and hilarious, and Charlie is a perfect conduit for self-aggrandizing narration. For me it's the best episode of the season.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the entire later seasons are like this though. Constant gimmick episodes/self contained around a single point and stretched over the entire episode. Texting, Noir, Thunder Gun, and a couple more from last season Im forgetting.
Constant gimmick? I think you don't understand what "gimmick" means... Maybe you mean genre or concept?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Well most long running sticoms result to more out there episode ideas after the exhaust all the more "normal" style storylines possible for their characters and set up. Sunny gets away with things better because their characters were flanderized by like the second season and the show has been about turning those traits up to 11, then 12, then 13 and so on.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Worst episode so far but still pretty good. Cricket especially absolutely destroyed me.
Also Charlie casually mixing whiskey with cat food.