supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Said by someone who's entire profession is based on people watching a screen.

The irony! I remember when taking Art History classes in college the teachers tell us about certain artist who would work on a single painting for years, and you'd hear students yell out similar bullshit. "dude, get a life" "did this guy even go outside?" From fucking art students about masters of their craft in the same field.

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Very rude tbh. And just so depressing. Little kid achieved a first in the history of his community. Even if i think it's so strange that people will go on to say that videogames make billions or whatever because who cares about that, it's a story of very big success for a child doing what they love. Lady needs to get her soul back from the devil they sold it to.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
To not be genuinely happy for kid that is genuinely happy and proud of what he has achieved... I can't even imagine, like how can your heart be that cold and dark. This TV talking head is just a bitter empty shell by this point.

Eldor

Jul 6, 2018
Sweden
Please don't say this, either to or about a kids hobbies... Real easy way to turn fun/excitement/pride into shame.

I'm 26 and I seriously can't remember a single time my parents(mostly my mom) cared about my hobbies as a child, unless it was something they could brag about or turn into their own accomplishments. Gaming was constantly met with "The sun is shining why can't you play outside" or "I wish you'd just hang out with some friends instead of sitting inside". When I did something in a game that felt like an achievement, it was met with a shrug from my mom.

People have different goals and interests in life, and that's part of the beauty of it.

Edit: I'm also not really someone that talks about gaming with other people. When my colleagues ask if I did anything fun during the weekend, I haven't, because gaming does not tend to count as either fun, rewarding or fulfilling.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is not an unpopular opinion. I doubt the average person wouldn't consider this a waste of time if they knew how much time this kid had to invest on Tetris to achieve this.

Reminds me of that one season of Amazing Race where contestants while in Korea had to take a round off of a Street Fighter Pro player.

Instead of trying to learn they just got mad at the pros for having "no lives" or something like that.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I will say this as a gamer parent. Some of the games produced today aimed directly at children are nothing but low quality parasitic wallet openers. Yes, I'm looking at you Roblox. If I hadn't grown up with games and played them to death, the 'go outside' mantra might have been my opinion too. As it is, I can only try to lead him to 'the good stuff' (i.e. games of the last forty years that are not designed to be played endlessly and insist on you spending money in game). It's amazing how much he wants to eat the shit though.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I like how the BBC article brings on a twitch streamer/speedrunner to promote the value of esports and gaming communities. That's the right response to this. Not "Ok Reddit, do your thing"-ing a 59 year old for not understanding videogames

MF DOOMbot

Jun 5, 2023
It's sucks judging people for their passions, but I think getting upset at someone doing it is just as outdated.

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
When I was 13 I went outside and fell in with a crowd of older teenagers who peer pressured me into drinking and smoking and causing vandalism. Would of much rather sat inside and broken a Tetris world record lol

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
People like to talk like this is some isolated thing but I think it's less that this sort of mentality doesn't exist anymore and more that the death of the monoculture makes it easier to (either intentionally or unintentionally) ignore this kind of stuff. Yes, gaming is far more accepted than it used to be but there are still PLENTY of people who hate them. To a degree it seems like people are less vocal about their hate for them but in reality I think that sentiment about video games being a waste of time still very much exists.

Bengraven