ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Key word here "Unfortunately". And big emphasis on it.
I don't think there's any psp game I'd want over most ps1 we don't have yet.

Guess Tactics Ogre and FFT would be good additions, as well as SO2, the rest, I personally wouldn't touch for a second.

How cursed I am to like the least probable generation to be remastered.

At the very least, I hope that PS1 Classics come back with PS5.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
At the very least, I hope that PS1 Classics come back with PS5.
Cool for ps5 users yeah.
I didn't see reasons to get the 4 so unless things change I don't see myself pick 5 either.

I'll just replay games on ps1 and 2 or maybe pc.

(I edited the post you quoted btw, sorry)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dissidia's an arcade game now and as part of Genesis' final revenge on us we'll never see Crisis Core again

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Forget about those, what about FF I to FF VI? Those are the only mainline FF games that haven't been ported to PS4, Xbox One & Switch yet.

I mean, Capcom still has the Power Stone Collection, Mega Man Powered Up, Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter, and Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower stuck on the PSP, so...

And Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins.

Oct 31, 2017
Square Enix's PSP output was atrocious (compared to DS/3DS).

FF IV DS > PSP.

Crisis Core? Terrible, like all FFVII media after the original game. Genesis was a Kingdom Hearts level horrendous addition to the franchise.

Star Ocean Second Evolution? Took a great game but removed the fantastic original art replacing it with some of the worst/mismatched character art ever seen in a game. Poor Rena.

FFIV DS sucked, though. Bad framerate, insanely slow battles (yes, I had it at the highest speed. No I didn't put it to the slowest speed on accident), annoying difficulty, atrocious augment system, unpleasant visuals.

I said what I said.

I agree with what you said about CC and SO2 though.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in Tactics Ogre, I hope they bring it over!

FFT: WotL is on mobile, and it's a good version, so at least it is playable on modern devices.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
More Tactics game from square would be great, but i dont think it will happen.

The PSP catalogue doesnt fit squares desires of Big Boy console games, so its probably gonna be left in the dust.

on a side note, is "Its 2020 and (premise of thread)" the new "Is it only me (premise of thread)" ?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The best versions of Final Fantasy 1, 2 and 4 are locked to it, which is insane. They're not even on steam.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
3rd Birthday can go rot in a landfill, but will take Final Fantasy Tactic: The War of the Lion and Tactics Orge: Let Us Cling Together instead.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well, we've seen FF Type-0 and Birth by Sleep ported to modern consoles. Type-0 was more of a remaster and BBS was a straightforward pord. Dissidia, Crisis Core, and the Parasite Eve (Sorry, I mean 3rd Birthday) still haven't seen an outside release. Crisis Core was a great game, and Duodecim was great, too. Honestly, they all deserve ports.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It's just a matter of time for many of these (and other, non-PSP SQEX games). They've stated their intent/want to make their entire back catalog (or as much of it as possible) available on modern platforms and have gone through the most obvious choices at this point (PS1 & PS2 FFs, KH, Dragon Quest) and they basically HAVE to move on to spin-offs and other franchises from now on (like they've already started doing with Last Remnant, Star Ocean 1 and Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth Mobile), especially since they've released so much of their legacy titles on PC and future console's have backward compatibility, so just re-releasing FFVII for new consoles isn't an option. Though the likes of Crisis Core might take awhile while SQEX tries to figure out how to release it with or without Gackt.

I think they are probably just trying to figure out the details of how they want to bring back each individual game. Straight ports (i.e. Chrono Trigger)? A remaster with some improvements/changes beyond the usual framerate/resolution/anti-aliasing improvements (PS1 & PS2 FFs, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5)? A graphical overhaul (Secret of Mana)? A bigger remake (Trials of Mana)? An insane remake (FFVIIR)?

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
They could use a lot of Dissidia NT assets to remaster Dissidia 012.
Crisis Core will probably be back in some form in FF7 Remake (or a DLC), but not as is.
3rd Birthday was fun but built around the limitations of the PSP. It would need a proper remake.
Tactics Ogre could be ported as is, would be great.
FFT needs fixing for that awful framerate during spells.

The last 2 are the most probable for ports.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why Square Enix can't port their Ogre Battle games for modern consoles.
It's less of a matter of "can't" and more of a matter of some considerations going into everything they release and just when they get around to releasing different games. They don't just want to throw everything to (digital) stores at once but space out releases by some logic or the other. And for some IPs they might be considering the manner of how to bring them to modern platforms. Just quick cash grab ports? HD remasters? Remakes (graphical or entire)? Collections or singular releases? Physical or digital only? Is there maybe some anniversary coming up that they could leverage for PR/marketing in the upcoming years?

They've already started to dabble into lesser releases. Mana Collection last year and Trials of Mana this year. Last Remnant port last year. Romancing Saga 2, 3 and Scarlet. Star Ocean 1. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon. Valkyrie Profile 1's mobile release. TWEWY Final Remix. Slowly but surely, they are working through releasing older games.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WotL is already available on PC thanks to the mobile remaster. Touch controls are superior for those type of games.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
There isn't much demand for The 3rd Birthday. But there is for Crisis Core, which is why it's so strange to me that it hasn't happened yet.

Acting like Crisis Core and 3rd Birthday are even on the same planet in terms of quality is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever read.

Crisis Core is flawed but largely a good game.

The 3rd Birthday is a bad game from almost every gaming metric.
Third birthday is definitely much worse, but I found pretty much every moment of Crisis Core to be unbearably awful as well. You are right that Third Birthday is undeniably more terrible, but I don't think that absolves Crisis Core of also being a bad game.

Oct 30, 2017
I think they could have Remastered Crisis Core the same as Type-0 before releasing the FFVIIR if weren't of some fishy license problems of you know who....

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my dream games that I want on PS4. Give me this and Capcom throws in a Breath of Fire collection and I'm a happy camper. Until then though my Playstation Tv is going to get used.