Oct 25, 2017
00ea841d3c67cebcda43f4be057ed1fb.gif

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's up there with The Sopranos.

Breaking Bad is not on the same tier than these 2 shows, as good as it is.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely up there, but it's hard to compare with shows of totally different genres. Like, I think it's a pointless debate to argue if The Wire or The Simpsons is a better show. I also think Twin Peaks is up there too to in terms of arthouse TV, The Twilight Zone for anthology TV, Mad Men's a great drama, Seinfeld's a great sitcom...

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it is. It's the best and most important piece of fiction tv there is.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Nothing has come anywhere close to achieving what The Wire has.

I wish something would because The Wire is starting to age a bit, but it's still amazing start to finish.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The Wire did more with the word fuck in a single scene than most shows do with every single curse word out there over their entire run.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amazing how three of my top five shows are HBO. They really have a knack for making classics.

I think it certainly helps that the momentum of the shows isn't broken up every 10 minutes with pleas to buy Bud Light or dish soap.

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely up there, but it's hard to compare with shows of totally different genres. Like, I think it's a pointless debate to argue if The Wire or The Simpsons is a better show. I also think Twin Peaks is up there too to in terms of arthouse TV, The Twilight Zone for anthology TV, Mad Men's a great drama, Seinfeld's a great sitcom...

Bingo

The Wire is my favorite show, but I also love Mad Men and they couldn't be more different in content. Reading TV (the book) by Alan Sepinwall and Matt Zoller Seitz where they show the full back & forth of their dialog to rank the top 5 shows of all time opened up my eyes to how you really need to be very open to what is 'best'. There's many shows that didn't have long runs, but they opened doors to new content types.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah

Breaking Bad?

Get serious fools

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
honestly? For me it still is. Plenty of other great dramas, but the wire kept a pretty solid run even if not every season holds to the same standard of quality.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, probably.

Breaking Bad was great but it's ultimately meaningless.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the shield because the ending was way better, wire really shit the bed with Mcnulty at the end.