• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
You know that a lot of people game on a combination of high-end PC + Nintendo Switch, right OP?

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Demon's Souls is not cross gen.

Why do people keep pushing this factually incorrect narrative?

Same for Ratchet which already has a 60fps mode confirmed.

As long as devs keep targeting 4k native or close to it (and also RT in some cases) for fidelity mode, then performance modes at 60fps or more should be a given. The only way I see 60fps going away is if they start targeting 1440p/30fps with no RT like the UE5 demo. Hopefully it won't happen.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Image quality and performance are the most fundamental aspects that any game should get right - it's not even open for debate.
Hard disagree, that point of view would mean you could never ever play previous generation games at all. If a game is fun or tells a good story I don't care if it's the latest 4k/144hz marvel. I mean, I still play old arcade games once in a while, even some Atari 2600 games. I recently got the Mario 3D All Stars collection, had a blast. Image quality and performance are "nice to have", but not anywhere near as important as actual gameplay and fun.

Also, don't forget that lots of PS5/Series X games will be 30fps, or have that option, and very few will offer 120fps. I know I'm going to be playing Spider-Man at 30fps because for that game I think the increased fidelity of the city is worth it.

Last edited:

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I have 0 problems bouncing back and forth between my PS4 pro and Switch. A game on one system looking and performing well doesn't make another game in a different system worse

Jimbojim

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Well it's not new and every nintendo game I have played I have always thought that it would be a better experience on the PC or Playstation/Xbox but I own a Switch for the exclusives and these are the parameters we all have to play with. So yeah.... I'm looking forward to the new zelda at presumably 720p/30fps but it's still my most anticipated title.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
It absolutely isn't a false narrative and it's pretty fucking laughable that you think that most devs aren't going to fail back to 30 FPS, like they do with every single generation. It's always the same song and dance. You'll get a couple years of 60 FPS cross-gen and 3rd party games and once developers start to squeeze more fancy graphics out of the machines, which they ALWAYS do and which they ALWAYS will, you'll be stuck with 30 FPS and maybe a performance mode here and there.
Since the PS4 Pro was released in 2016 Performance modes are becoming more prominent, to the point where almost every PS5 game right now has the option. The PS5 even has that option integrated into the system settings.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it's outrageous that Nintendo has been getting away with this weak sauce for decades now. they released a system in the late 80s that didn't even have a color display, in the face of the vastly more powerful Genesis. when will they learn that no one can tolerate the horrendous performance of these so-called "portable systems" just because they "can be bought for $200 or less"

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
No, not really not too long ago we were on PS4/Xbox one

I can still play 480p games

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I don't worry. Until that happens I'll be playing Demon's Souls, Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima and tons more at locked 60, contrary to Nintendo's output.

Suddenly Mario Odyssey, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Tropical Freeze and Splatoon dropped from 60 to 30 fps because the next gen consoles came out.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Im on the PS5 hype train too but I disagree. Yes the PS5 is incredible and feels like a true next gen system but BOTW 2, Metroid Prime4, and the next Mario are my most anticipated games for next year and I don't care if they ran at 20 FPS, their going to be incredible.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely prefer higher (and more consistent) framerates, but my whole life experience has been that within 30 minutes of sitting down with a game that doesn't have that, my brain still gets used to it.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I have to say I completely disagree. I've been bouncing back and forth between 30fps to 60 and higher and never thought more than the initial few seconds that it really mattered. That's how long it takes to notice the drop and then I forget about it. Never something I've ever had affect my enjoyment unless it's really low like single digits.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
I could care less if it's sub 30 FPS on switch. The switch caters to a different demographic and selling well. The casual market does not care about FPS/4K ray tracing etc. If the switch games appeal to me, I'll keep playing them.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably gonna play my Switch more than any other console in the next 3 years because a) I have a high-end PC that will allow me to play everything I want with better graphical settings than next-gen consoles and b) Switch is the only portable solution I have.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Same for Ratchet which already has a 60fps mode confirmed.

As long as devs keep targeting 4k native or close to it (and also RT in some cases) for fidelity mode, then performance modes at 60fps or more should be a given. The only way I see 60fps going away is if they start targeting 1440p/30fps with no RT like the UE5 demo. Hopefully it won't happen.
Itll happen, but for very few games. Making a game with fidelity and density so high it can only run at 1440p30fps on a PS5 will not come often, gonna be expesive as hell to make lol.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Why does the smaller, cheaper, portable console not run games as well PS5?

Why does the console that is the same price as the Series S have exclusive titles with horrendous performance like Age of Calamity?

I understand that the Switch is the weaker machine. No qualms there. Why is it acceptable for so many of its exclusive titles to run like shit, though? We've had machines weaker than the Switch that had no issue releasing exclusive titles that ran well.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I love a high frame rate, but it's never stopped me from enjoying games with lower frame rates before.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Why does the console that is the same price as the Series S have exclusive titles with horrendous performance like Age of Calamity?

I understand that the Switch is the weaker machine. No qualms there. Why is it acceptable for so many of its exclusive titles to run like shit, though? We've had machines weaker than the Switch that had no issue releasing exclusive titles that ran well.
Because people will buy them so Nintendo has zero incentive to actually work on performance.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Suddenly Mario Odyssey, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Tropical Freeze and Splatoon dropped from 60 to 30 fps because the next gen consoles came out.
No but Nintendo's recent output has been horrendous in terms of performance.

I love a high frame rate, but it's never stopped me from enjoying games with lower frame rates before.
Games with low framerates are less enjoyable than games at higher framerates. So it will be less enjoyable for me to go back to outdated 30fps on Switch while I'm getting used to swing through New York City at smooth 60 or roam through the Borderlands at even smoother 120.
Xenoblade and Hyrule Warriors? Paper Mario was fine.
Paper Mario is actually a good example for a recent Nintendo game with lacking performance. It only runs at 30 which is laughable considering its looks. I feel like Nintendo has given up on 60fps. Even Pikmin 3 runs at 30.

Last edited:

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Honestly it was already rough. Every time I finish a game on Switch I can't help but think how much better it would have looked and performed on my PC or PS4 Pro. The mobility aspect had been mostly a non factor, except lately where I'm playing a lot of XCDE in bed

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

There's also ARMS, Mario Tennis Aces, Captain Toad, and Super Mario Party. Not sure why people are acting like Nintendo don't have 60 FPS games. They were doing 60 FPS games constantly since the Wii.

Deleted member 5127

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isint pikmin 3 on the switch like 600p or something?

I also thought xenoblade chronicles was a similarly low resolution.

Possibly, I don't have the game as I played it on the Wii U. But the exact number of titles with shitty performance isn't the point, the point is that most Nintendo games are polished and a loads are even 60fps.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
Something about switch performance threads makes people see "I would like a stable 60 fps in games or at least not sub-30" and turn it into "I demand all games be 4k 120 fps with ray tracing".

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

I just looked at Nintendo's first-party list for this year and the only games with questionable performances is AOC and XBCDE.

NH only has slowdown in areas once you deck your island out, I've heard one say Paper Mario performs badly. There are others smaller titles that haven't reported performance issues.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
it's outrageous that Nintendo has been getting away with this weak sauce for decades now. they released a system in the late 80s that didn't even have a color display, in the face of the vastly more powerful Genesis. when will they learn that no one can tolerate the horrendous performance of these so-called "portable systems" just because they "can be bought for $200 or less"
That's why I can't wait for the day we get Portables with 4k, smaller than my Switch but as comfortable as them, with batteries greater than 3-6 hours, and visual fidelity on par with home consoles! /s

But seriously, I'm just glad to have the first proper handheld that has HD, even standard HD, resolution. Whose screen isn't the size of a quarter-napkin, and that has proper controls/controllers. I loved my Vita and it was great, but it's not even comparable to the Switch, and that was basically the last (and probably will be the foreseeable last) handheld attempt by anyone but Nintendo. Luckily Nintendo is able to capitalize on Japans love for handhelds, so there'll always be demand even if us western audiences lose the demand. I won't lose my demand, tho.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
1080p60 is fine on the Switch, games can look great on my OLED. 900p30 is fine if the frame rate never dips too.

When we go lower than that it does feel rough however.

Deleted member 5127

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just looked at Nintendo's first-party list for this year and the only games with questionable performances is AOC and XBCDE.

NH only has slowdown in areas once you deck your island out, I've heard one say Paper Mario performs badly. There are others smaller titles that haven't reported performance issues.

Paper Mario didn't have any slowdowns from what I remember.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Games will still be 30fps on sx and ps5. Bottom line is if you want eye candy..that's what you play in.

I mean I'm actually considering playing demons souls in 30 because it has better modeled rocks in that mode... seriously :/
Don't 60 fps mode looks amazing the differences are so minor its silly that its even an option tbh. (Options are good, not when the 60 fps mode holds up that well.)

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

I'm not talking about performance issues but low framerates in general. What was even the last Nintendo game with 60fps? I honestly can't remember.
Do you play games for the FPS and resolution or the gameplay and content?
Framerate = gameplay.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that I expected Hyrule Warriors 2 to be an ugly, messy eyesore after a week on the new machines, but it was surprisingly tolerable, even with the drops in resolution and framerate.

Still, can't wait for new Nintendo hardware...

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Portability is worth the trade off.

There doesn't need to be a tradeoff of under-30fps. This isn't directed at you specifically but it's annoying as hell seeing legitimate issues such as horrid performance being attributed to portability/Switch being weaker. There have been weaker machines than the Switch where this issue wasn't as prominent.

Do you play games for the FPS and resolution or the gameplay and content?

That's essentially what's going on here.

If gameplay and content are equal, then sure. If portability and price matter, then no.

You can literally have gameplay, content, FPS, and resolution all in one package. Games do it all the freaking time. They've done it on weaker machines. Nintendo is seriously the only publisher I see get this kind of slack lol

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Don't get me wrong, I get that for many there's a massive disparity that's jarring. The problem is just that, well, reasonably priced powerful handheld devices are direct paradoxes. More power - price goes up; need bigger battery to compensate - weight goes up; want positives of increasing battery life - resolution goes down; resolution goes down - screen size goes down. It's just a chain reaction of things. 3-6 hours is fantastic battery life if you account for the things the console does, heck most phones struggle to give those hours while playing games.

I know many people want a proper Console from Nintendo, but I can't see a world where the Switch and hybrid systems aren't the way Nintendo goes. It just covers all the markets. Improve it and continue to do so!

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm not talking about performance issues but low framerates in general. What was even the last Nintendo game with 60fps? I honestly can't remember.

Framerate = gameplay.

A game being locked at 30 FPS isn't shitty performance.

And BS on Framerate = gameplay. Animal Crossing wouldn't be a vastly better game if it ran at 60 FPS.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gonna keep doing what I've been doing and play the games I want to play with the best hardware I can play them on.

this might mean playing a new multiplatform game in 144fps or it might mean playing an old exclusive at 20fps, whatever. nothing has changed.

Framerate = gameplay.

Sorry - I meant the way the game controls, the art style, the unlockables.

Of course, frame rate can affect all these aspects to some degree - but only if it's below like 20fps.

Even then, I've very much enjoyed some old games that had 15fps (looking at you Star Fox on SNES). I hadn't played it in over 20 years, recently got to replay it, and it's still a fantastic game.

Also, I prefer to play Ocarina of time on the 64. It's just more atmospheric than the newer revisions.

There doesn't need to be a tradeoff of under-30fps. This isn't directed at you specifically but it's annoying as hell seeing legitimate issues such as horrid performance being attributed to portability/Switch being weaker. There have been weaker machines than the Switch where this issue wasn't as prominent.

You can literally have gameplay, content, FPS, and resolution all in one package. Games do it all the freaking time. They've done it on weaker machines. Nintendo is seriously the only publisher I see get this kind of slack lol

That's because they're pulling it off on a significantly weaker console that's also focused on portability and also have to take battery life into account.

Would you prefer they just didn't try to port games? Do you want games with significantly worse assets if it means you can play it in 60fps and 1080p?!

Sure, they could probably do some better optimization, but I don't think their current issues is due to a lack of trying.

Last edited:

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never had any problem going from 60fps|(or 100+ lately on PC) to 30fps games.If the game is good then i adapt

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
thats how ive felt about consoles since i built my pc....11 years ago. and is also the very reason that a console will probably never be my main platform again.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying it's going to be rough going back to sub 30fps games now that I play Spiderman, Demon's Souls, Assassin's Creed, Ghost of Tsushima, Sekiro, and tons more at 60.
Oh well, I guess you're stuck playing Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate forever.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Not really.

I still play PS1 and PS2 games on the regular, at low resolutions and sometimes sub-30 fps framerates.

And when it comes to the benefit of being able to play anywhere, my tolerance for less than spectacular performance only gets higher.

60 fps is dope, but it's not some must-have for me, esp as a lover of older games.