• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I literally buy every multiplatform game on Xbox One X and have Game Pass Ultimate so let's not.
Good, then you don't have anything to worry about with your multi-platform games on Xbox One, because they're EXISTING Xbox One games and hence exist, thus meaning that they'll work on Xbox Series X. I'm sure Microsoft would update its main information page on its new system if they intended to backtrack.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
So something that they've said they are actively working on and is core to their brand isn't finished over half a year from launch...
They will never be able to say all games work because all games would mean games that require Kinect games would work and that thing has been left in the rear view mirror. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the One X even has a port for Kinect.
There's a USB to kinect dongle. It's a long shot, but it's not impossible.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not every game is going to work due to licensing issues or Kinect compatibility -- but MS's commitment to backwards compatibility is definitely more broad than that of Sony or Nintendo.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
No offense, this OP reads like they're posting this to try to react to the bad ps5 BC news.

Series X plays all xb1 games natively (with the rare exception of a few kinect games). And plays all current BC 360/OG games as well.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Beyond that, the Xbox back-compat team have been hard at work since drawing the line under their Xbox 360 and X-enhanced program a while back.​
It likely comes as no surprise to discover that Series X can technically run the entire Xbox One catalogue, but this time it's done with no emulation layer - it's baked in at the hardware level
. Games also benefit from the full CPU and GPU clocks of Series X (Xbox One X effectively delivered 50 per cent of its overall graphics power for back-compat), meaning that the more lacklustre of those performance modes added to many Xbox One X games should hopefully lock to a silky smooth 60fps.​
full DF article here

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know they're never going to say EVERY Xbox One game, because some pedantic asshole will probably start bad PR or even start a lawsuit if it's only 99.9% of Xbox One games that work on Series X.

People have well founded faith in Microsoft delivering on this because they spent half this gen building up their BC program and showing they care about it.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I expect there to be a few outliers that don't work (there are PS2 games that don't work on certain PS2 models), but for the most part, I feel confident that "everything" will work.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
100% just isnt gonna happen.

A lot of licensed game which will be a nightmare to get, plus kinect games which will literally be impossible.

Still hyped for XSX none the less.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
How can MS claim four gens of games when people can't use their cumbersome 20 year old mech controller?
They said "across" generations and only ever promised games compatible on Xbox One would continue forward. That's why they stopped adding new games to Back Compat, as they wanted to focus on the way forward. Also, they only promised Xbox One accessories.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Ridiculous to think they won't. They have said a dozen times they have the best back compat team in the business. I not only
Expect them to all work but I would bet on them having significant improvements to some games. Things not even announced. Similar to 4K 360 and OG games.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so we've had back and forth threads but it's gotten muddy so I got a reply on a mod report I made saying I can make a thread to directly address this lack of confirmation.

Earlier I posted sources that show no one at Xbox themselves has claimed all your Xbox One games will be playable on Series X. Let me highlight Phil's quote a few weeks ago (Link below) making this seem even less promised:

`"I'm trying it. It's in active development, sometimes it reboots. Not all the games today are completely compatible. We're working through our list of approved games on it. You can see what I'm playing; there's tons of games that work," Spencer said.

Then someone made a sort of reaction thread quoting a member here who is verified and from "Xbox" initially saying today "Every single game" would work that works on XB1. But he didn't mean to confuse and updated us with his sources, which are the Xbox blogs below that don't explicitly say 100%/all/every. He added the following:

I'm repeating what Xbox Wire and Phil have publicly said is the goal. 4 generations of compatibility and your games all come with you. I'm not on the team and am not confirming anything that hasn't already been confirmed.

So we are left with the original sources below that had a thread earlier but were locked up in the confusion:

But then I thought, have I been too generous with reading Xbox's comments too? I had.

They haven't promised every game. They have said Xbox One games will work, but not every game. "Thousands" but not all. From the blog a few weeks ago:

`Backward Compatibility – At Xbox, we've made a promise to compatibility: you can expect thousands of your favorite games across four generations of gaming, your Xbox One gaming accessories, your Xbox gaming legacy, and industry-leading services like Xbox Game Pass to work with Xbox Series X. Backward compatible games will benefit from the power and performance of Xbox Series X, resulting in steadier framerates, faster load times, improved resolution and visual fidelity. Fans and game creators can feel confident they will be able to play and create the best.

news.xbox.com

What You Can Expect From the Next Generation of Gaming - Xbox Wire

The future of gaming has never been more inspiring. Creativity in games is flourishing. New services empower you to discover more games—and bring you closer to the games and creators and streamers you love. The cloud creates a massive opportunity to stream console-quality games and play with the...

I'd love to read this as promising all Xbox One games work... but that blog post doesn't go quite there. There's legal outs like saying "thousands."

But ok, you read my skepticism and think "he's crazy, it's promising every Xbox One game on day one."

I dug more and found Phil said this last month:

`"I'm trying it. It's in active development, sometimes it reboots. Not all the games today are completely compatible. We're working through our list of approved games on it. You can see what I'm playing; there's tons of games that work," Spencer said.

www.gamespot.com

Xbox Series X: Phil Spencer Discusses How "Tons" Of Games Are Already Backwards Compatible With Console

Phil Spencer has been using an Xbox Series X as his daily console, and says that lots of previous Xbox games are now working with the new system.

A pretty clear comment that they have to approve the games.

So I'm begging someone to show me I'm wrong and that Phil said this week EVERY or ALL Xbox One games.

Dont worry

It will be fully bc with xbox one

This is microsoft - they know this stuff. And no they dont have to SPELL it out. They have a clear messafe

Sony - does not

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

But this isnt news right? MS needs to create a wrapper for pretty much every older game to make it run on the X1 platform; some will end up not working.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yeah unless MS has a significant blunder however, people will continue to assume most (if not all) of their purchases this gen will carry forward.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Why not take it from Rich?

"AMD has worked with Microsoft to deliver full hardware backwards compatibility with current gen systems. Untouched, Xbox One and Xbox One X code will run natively on Series X..."

I mean, sure, he's not Phil, but why would he claim this in no uncertain terms if it wasn't communicated by MS?

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
Of course not every game is going to work due to licensing issues or Kinect compatibility -- but MS's commitment to backwards compatibility is definitely more broad than that of Sony or Nintendo.

It sounds though from the OP that BC may have other challenges, and that it is a title by title approval, which has been the case for Microsoft every gen. They historically work on extending backwards compatibility through the first few years of the new console. Unlike for example the wii which out of the gate had the GameCube built in, including its OS.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, who cares about Kinect games? That's like 1% of the Xbox One library so 99% of the games? Sounds good to me.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Why not take it from Rich?

"AMD has worked with Microsoft to deliver full hardware backwards compatibility with current gen systems. Untouched, Xbox One and Xbox One X code will run natively on Series X..."

I mean, sure, he's not Phil, but why would he claim this in no uncertain terms if it wasn't communicated by MS?

I'm waiting for someone to claim DF isn't a trusted source or something.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
He backtracked and said he was basing his post on the blogs in the OP. I posted his latest comment in the OP... he isn't sticking by the confirmation.
Can someone please direct the OP to a solid online reading comprehension course that's free and doesn't require registration or involve any other small barriers that might make it even mildly difficult to access?

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
OP was being called out as a Xbox fanboy a day ago because he wasn't too enthusiastic about the PS5.

People jumping on him are looking more defensive than what they claim he's being and showing your own bias.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so we've had back and forth threads but it's gotten muddy so I got a reply on a mod report I made saying I can make a thread to directly address this lack of confirmation.

Earlier I posted sources that show no one at Xbox themselves has claimed all your Xbox One games will be playable on Series X. Let me highlight Phil's quote a few weeks ago (Link below) making this seem even less promised:

Then someone made a sort of reaction thread quoting a member here who is verified and from "Xbox" initially saying today "Every single game" would work that works on XB1. But he didn't mean to confuse and updated us with his sources, which are the Xbox blogs below that don't explicitly say 100%/all/every. He added the following:

I'm repeating what Xbox Wire and Phil have publicly said is the goal. 4 generations of compatibility and your games all come with you. I'm not on the team and am not confirming anything that hasn't already been confirmed.

So we are left with the original sources below that had a thread earlier but were locked up in the confusion:

But then I thought, have I been too generous with reading Xbox's comments too? I had.

They haven't promised every game. They have said Xbox One games will work, but not every game. "Thousands" but not all. From the blog a few weeks ago:

`Backward Compatibility – At Xbox, we've made a promise to compatibility: you can expect thousands of your favorite games across four generations of gaming, your Xbox One gaming accessories, your Xbox gaming legacy, and industry-leading services like Xbox Game Pass to work with Xbox Series X. Backward compatible games will benefit from the power and performance of Xbox Series X, resulting in steadier framerates, faster load times, improved resolution and visual fidelity. Fans and game creators can feel confident they will be able to play and create the best.

news.xbox.com

What You Can Expect From the Next Generation of Gaming - Xbox Wire

The future of gaming has never been more inspiring. Creativity in games is flourishing. New services empower you to discover more games—and bring you closer to the games and creators and streamers you love. The cloud creates a massive opportunity to stream console-quality games and play with the...

I'd love to read this as promising all Xbox One games work... but that blog post doesn't go quite there. There's legal outs like saying "thousands."

But ok, you read my skepticism and think "he's crazy, it's promising every Xbox One game on day one."

I dug more and found Phil said this last month:

www.gamespot.com

Xbox Series X: Phil Spencer Discusses How "Tons" Of Games Are Already Backwards Compatible With Console

Phil Spencer has been using an Xbox Series X as his daily console, and says that lots of previous Xbox games are now working with the new system.

A pretty clear comment that they have to approve the games.

So I'm begging someone to show me I'm wrong and that Phil said this week EVERY or ALL Xbox One games.
Dude you gotta stop. It's becoming embarrassing at this point.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
People are defending Microsoft as if Sony isn't planning to support EVERY PS4 game eventually. Everyone saying that XSX will play EVERY Xbox game at launch will it crow!

However, can everybody please stay calm, and wait! I bet that within the first year of both consoles you will be able to play the majority if not all BC games.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I fully expect that both PS5 and XSX will have similar levels of backwards compatibility with last gen.

krang

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are defending Microsoft as if Sony isn't planning to support EVERY PS4 game eventually. Everyone saying that XSX will play EVERY Xbox game at launch will it crow!

However, can everybody please stay calm, and wait!
I bet that within the first year of both consoles you will be able to play the majority if not all BC games.

The irony.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of licensed game which will be a nightmare to get,
I was under the impression if it's a backwards compatibility solution where it just runs old games and doesn't need them repackaged or put up for sale again or whatever, things wouldn't need to be relicensed.

I guess I don't fully know if this is true, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.