Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
My point is that lots of people whine about remakes being a "waste of resources," but the reality is that remakes are the ideal choice for a lot of people don't want to deal with the bs of getting an adapter just to play their favorite classic (or don't want to play an emulation of a game that looks like ass these days)

It's ideal to remake every game ever rather than just having a CRT, adapter, or just using an emulator?

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a PS4 for a few years, but despite I still mainly gamed on my PS2 as the PS1 and PS2 eras are my favorite in gaming. My favorite gaming moments of the past 5 years are playing games like Parasite Eve, original Resident Evil games, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid and Persona 3. Earlier this year my HD TV started having issues so I got a 4K TV. Now I notice that there isn't a composite port so it's not been able to plug in. I haven't gamed since, as I'm just not interested in newer games as much (aside from Persona 5, I loved that game).
RIP PS2 days.

Ignore the ones linking things from amazon, all of those converters are hot hot garbage. They will add ridiculous amounts of lag and treat the image like trash. If you don't want to spend a lot of money then follow the suggestions of the RetroTink 2X, its probably the simplest, easiest thing for you. I would also suggest getting component cables, they aren't expensive and will greatly improve the picture quality. Which you may not think is important, but when you're upscaling something that much you need to be feeding it the best quality you can. HDRetrovision are making really good quality component cables for the PS2, and they sell on Amazon.

This is the link to the retrotink https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/retrotink-2x It can do composite, S-Video, and Component, and will get you to 480p over HDMI which your tv should handle ok.

I'll also suggest for you or anyone else looking to play their retro game content to read this thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/retro-av-thread-ot-rgb-crts-upscalers-and-more.1139/

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
PS2 emulation (especially in software mode) is pretty good nowadays and you can run the games straight from the disc.

I strongly suggest not running the game from the disc if you have it in a drive anyway just grab imgburn and rip it. It only takes a few minutes and 2 clicks once imgburn is setup.

Running from the disk takes forever, can be unreliable (in my experience), and you lose some benefits like increased load speeds.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
If every remake had the unaltered version of the original I wouldn't have any issues with remakes.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming the TV didn't come with an adapter or there isn't so way to get composite inputs described in the manual?
I know my LG B8 can do composite, but it uses an adapter that plugs into a 3.5mm port. It's not uncommon for TVs to have weird work arounds that aren't inherently obvious. Though at this point, TVs without composite aren't that uncommon either.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I should also add that the OSSC is not a good solution if you're only using the PS2. It's an amazing piece of hardware but you're going to pay a lot of money and spend a lot of time configuring profiles if you want to get the best out of the machine and even then it will still look rough.

The Retrotink (or the RAD2X cable) is an amazing option as it has a great filter that you can apply that really does a good job taking the edge off of the bob-deinterlaced image.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
My Vizio definitely has them although it's a cheap model that I use as a computer monitor/Wii Screen to rip games.

Nice. None of the TVs I've bought in the last six years or so have had any, some just a composite legacy port. Sony, LG, and a TCL. Would be really cool if Sony were to reintroduce bc hardware again.

Heck, sell me the original 60GB PS3 again. Lll.

Oct 27, 2017
HomokHarcos , I feel your pain. My vizio has component ports (one of the few left that did) but doesn't work on anything less than 480p. For example, ps2 will work on it, but the ps1 mode (240p) doesn't show picture.

Yes, if you have component ports, you should try that for progressive scan, but if not, these aren't too shabby.

Amazon.com: Hyperkin HDTV Cable for PS2/ PS1: Video Games

Amazon.com: Hyperkin HDTV Cable for PS2/ PS1: Video Games

It won't be Progessive scan or OSSC, but it'll do.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but this cable is a piece of hot garbage and is way overpriced. The RAD2X cable is $60 and is excellent.

Is it the best out there? Fuck no! Hell, I'm waiting on HDretrovision to release their own OSSC as suggested in their blog. Their Genesis/Saturn components were god-like, but won't work on newer TVs like mine. I do wanna try retrotink, but it looks so flimsy.

But the Hyperkin is LEAGUES beyond the crappy RCA2HMDI converters listed in the first page of this topic. Give me that, at least.

OP
OP

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Or, you know, backward compatibility like Microsoft has been doing for more than a decade now
No, this is why backwards compatibility is so important.

Fun games are fun. It's as simple as that.
That's why people should start whining about BC.
Yep. I'm not rebuying my entire retro collection on a modern platform just to play them on a modern display.
No backwards compatibility is the reason why I don't plan on getting the PS5. I wish Sony would allow it.

I have an LG OLED C9 4K HDR Bla Bla.. but during this pandemic, I've been mainly using it to watch 240p content of 80s-90s Pro Wrestling on Youtube. So much so that I decided to subscribe to WWE Network for the first time for better quality, but *sigh*... the UI navigation is not the same. I also like that youtube recommends me similar matches right when I turn on the TV.

On topic though, OP if you haven't already I hope you give Ace Combat 4,5, Zero a try.
I love watching old WWF and WCW shows on the Network. On YouTube I like to watch 1990s All Japan, All Japan Women and 2000s NOAH matches.

I remember the PS1 Ace Combat games, those were pretty fun. I am curious about the PS2 games.

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
Is it the best out there? Fuck no! Hell, I'm waiting on HDretrovision to release their own OSSC as suggested in their blog. Their Genesis/Saturn components were god-like, but won't work on newer TVs like mine. I do wanna try retrotink, but it looks so flimsy.

But the Hyperkin is LEAGUES beyond the crappy RCA2HMDI converters listed in the first page of this topic. Give me that, at least.

Oh it isn't the worst option, it's just a total rip-off for $30. The Hyperkin cable is just a rebranded generic cable that has been kicking around for ten years.

The RAD2X incorporates the Retrotink2x into the cable itself, it de-interlaces all 480i content and has an excellent filter to take the edge off 3d games and it's $60.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh it isn't the worst option, it's just a total rip-off for $30. The Hyperkin cable is just a rebranded generic cable that has been kicking around for ten years.

The RAD2X incorporates the Retrotink2x into the cable itself, it de-interlaces all 480i content and has an excellent filter to take the edge off 3d games and it's $60.

Hmm. Interesting, but would suck for someone with a bajillion systems like me. You have any recommendations for Dreamcast as well? I have a gawky HDMI to VGA converter I found in a retro game store that works and does progressive scan, but the colors are way too dark.

I know hyperkins wire doesn't do VGA mode, and the HDretrovision cables keep getting pushed back, even before the COVID19 stuff. Any thoughts?

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Not to be a jinx, but check my message above. Try a system that doesn't use 480p (Sega Cd, Saturn, N64) to see if you don't have the same plight.
I have a PS1 and will report back momentarily.

Edit: Okay so my PS1 doesn't work at all like you said. My PS2 works fine which I knew of course since I've used it but it indeed does not play PS1 games. Luckily my PS1 is the oldest console I own and I can play PS1 games fine on my PS3.

Edit 2: now my biker in Dave Mirra BMX for PS1 is sitting still while I listen to Sublime-What I got. The 90s man...

Last edited:

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. Interesting, but would suck for someone with a bajillion systems like me.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, but it's an excellent solution for someone that only wants to play one older system.

You have any recommendations for Dreamcast as well? I have a gawky HDMI to VGA converter I found in a retro game store that works and does progressive scan, but the colors are way too dark. I know hyperkins wire doesn't do VGA mode, and the HDretrovision cables keep getting pushed back, even before the COVID19 stuff. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately you're already waiting on what I would suggest, the HD Retrovision component cable will definitely be the way to go (when it eventually comes out that is). Otherwise if you're flush with cash and know a good installer DCDigital is your only other option.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
How well does stuff like the OSSC or Framemeister look on a 4K set? I know they're designed to get you up to 1080p.

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
How well does stuff like the OSSC or Framemeister look on a 4K set? I know they're designed to get you up to 1080p.

I can't comment on the Framemeister but the OSSC looks superb. Most 4K sets do an excellent job of scaling 1080p up to 2160p so the image will look crisp and clear.

One of the other benefits of a 4K set is that you can do line5x on 240p sources in a 1900x1200 frame too. My mid range Bravia was a beast and pretty much accepted any signal I threw at it via the OSSC.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm in the same boat, but it's an excellent solution for someone that only wants to play one older system.

Unfortunately you're already waiting on what I would suggest, the HD Retrovision component cable will definitely be the way to go (when it eventually comes out that is). Otherwise if you're flush with cash and know a good installer DCDigital is your only other option.

The only thing that worries me about HDRV is that they're saying it's not going to support VGA mode (IIRC) so, doesn't that mean it's like supped-up AV cable like their SNES/SG/Saturn ones?

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
If this is a stupid question I apologise since Im still using a hdtv from 2008 and dont plan on upgrading unless I have to. But do current tv sets no longer come with component plugs or something? Or did they just remove support for plugging in composite to a component input?

golem

Oct 25, 2017
If this is a stupid question I apologise since Im still using a hdtv from 2008 and dont plan on upgrading unless I have to. But do current tv sets no longer come with component plugs or something? Or did they just remove support for plugging in composite to a component input?
None of my OLEDs have component. The LGs have a composite input, not sure about the Sony

I wouldnt necessarily trust the analog to digital conversion built into HDTVs not to add lag either since they were probably thrown in as an after thought. That's why I would recommend an OSSC

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
As others are posting there are plenty of adapters to hook up the old stuff with HDMI, I have my Wii hooked up with one because of the same realization.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to champion emulation. Depending on the game you want to play, it might not be the best way to do it in either software or hardware mode, but for the vast majority of titles, it's the superior and more convenient way to do it, IMO.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
MLIG has a whole huge episode about this.

At least there are a lot of options for PS2.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Hmm I still regularly play my PS2 and GC on my 1080p TV but was thinking of getting a 4K one for the PS5. Might have to look into a HDMI dongle type device.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention OP.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this is why people should stop whining about remakes :)
Do you have any idea how large the library is on the PS2? Only a fraction of a fraction will get a remake or remaster. This is such an asinine comment and someone who has no idea how anything works. It's like you've never thought about the position beyond what immediately affects you. It's so fucking frustrating to read.

Do you think a company like Namco is going to re-release Ghosthunter? Or the Guncon 2 games? How about the numerous companies that have gone under since the PS2 days and no longer exist. Are those games going to be re-released any time in the future? Anything with music rights issues is completely out too; a company isn't going to renegotiate those for a re-release unless it's something like GTA and even then music gets removed in modern versions. Any licensed IP is almost never getting a new version either. There are so many complications to remakes and re-releases and banking on that is just absurd.

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that worries me about HDRV is that they're saying it's not going to support VGA mode (IIRC) so, doesn't that mean it's like supped-up AV cable like their SNES/SG/Saturn ones?

HDRV will support all video modes, their cable will have a built in sync combiner that pulls H and V sync from VGA and combines it into a single sync pulse for component. Retrogamingcables more or less did the same thing for their 480i/480p SCART cable.

I guess it's not technically VGA at that point but the important part is that you'll end up with a pristine 480p signal.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the OSSC is one of the best all-in-one solutions for old consoles on new TVs. it supports any console and has a ton of options for video output.

i have got dedicated solutions for all my consoles over the years but the OSSC still does a really good job. dedicated solutions are only recommended for the most hardcore of the fans imo.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
This is how it starts OP.
Oh I'll just get the OSSC.
Oh it has a SCART connector.
Oh maybe I should make sure I can get RGB from all my consoles
Oh now I have more of a reason to buy older games physically
Oh I should get all of these games on to one flash cartridge

Listai

Oct 27, 2017

This is so true.

I bought an OSSC for my PS2. I then picked up a Super Famicom, then an AV Famicom ... then a Mega Drive.

...I now have a Sony Broadcast CRT with 11 consoles hooked up.

79fc2dad4cad085f7c04ee067342747b34e6c014_2_375x500.jpeg

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is me as of a few days ago. I shouldn't have found My Life in Gaming. I now have a bunch of gear to improve my setup coming. The OSSC costs so much but looked so helpful that I had to get it for my old shit. Maybe I should have waited for the OSSC Pro but I'm too impatient lol.