Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I don't doubt Biden is ready to cut off lethal aid. He has done a decent job of threading the needle on a complicated geopolitical problem. Hopefully he follows through and that convinces Israel it is time to end this. Hamas can be neutered with spec ops raids and strategic airstrikes. No need to continue this invasion.
Feels like a post copied from r/worldnews and I can't tell if it's sarcasm or not. And that's the optimist in me hoping that no one is so blinded in either their support for Biden or paralyzed by fear of trump to actually think that Biden did anything decent in the last 7 months.

"Strategic airstrikes" yeah, you probably also think those 34,000 deaths are mostly hamas as well? Or maybe we need another spec ops like the one they did at Al-Shifa hospital to finally commit unspeakable atrocities find those tunnels.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I don't doubt Biden is ready to cut off lethal aid. He has done a decent job of threading the needle on a complicated geopolitical problem. Hopefully he follows through and that convinces Israel it is time to end this. Hamas can be neutered with spec ops raids and strategic airstrikes. No need to continue this invasion.

That sure worked well in Afghanistan.
There will be armed resistance in one form or another. The only way to peace is Palestinian statehood and the right of return for all refugees.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

What a wild thing to say. Biden has done a horrible job and there is no military solution to defeating Hamas. Countless military minds have said this. Even Blinken has told Bibi this for crying out loud. Hamas feeds on the oppression of Palestinians and utilizes it to fill their ranks. They have also been propped up and supported by Bibi for many years to sabotage a two state solution so this idea that they can be beaten by strategic airstrikes and spec ops is just some hollywood hoorah fantasy shit. Factor in that the IDF can at any point designate anyone they want as Hamas and there is no burden of proof at all and you have an enemy that can be used in perpetuity to justify anything Israel does.

The solution to stability is regime change in Israel. The moment this stops Bibi goes to trial for all the shit he was going to be charged with before this all started and he has no interest in that happening so he will continue to sabotage.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Depressing that all the solutions being offered mean Israel get away with it. At least lots of the next generation of people now will always have negative emotions towards the IDF

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
"Threading the needle on a complicated geopolitical problem" here means maintaining a close relationship with a genocidal government while trying to pretend that they aren't genocidal so you don't look like the baddie. Some of the thicker moderates may have bought into that narrative, but I'd say Biden's administration has done a profoundly poor job at convincing younger, politically active voters that America isn't directly involved in the genocide of the Palestinian people.

As far as Hamas is concerned, the last thing the Israel government wants is to destroy them. They act as Israel's thin justification for mass murder. They need them.

PatAndTheCat

Banned
Apr 1, 2024
Feels like a post copied from r/worldnews and I can't tell if it's sarcasm or not. And that's the optimist in me hoping that no one is so blinded in either their support for Biden or paralyzed by fear of trump to actually think that Biden did anything decent in the last 7 months.

"Strategic airstrikes" yeah, you probably also think those 34,000 deaths are mostly hamas as well? Or maybe we need another spec ops like the one they did at Al-Shifa hospital to finally commit unspeakable atrocities find those tunnels.
Certainly not blinded in my support for Biden. I'm just saying I trust him when he says he will withhold aid in the event of another large scale invasion. I imagine most of the 34,000 deaths are not Hamas. Israel is to blame for that. Netanyahu needs to go that much is clear. I just believe Biden has done a decent job of navigating this situation while handling the War in Ukraine. Much better than whatever Trump would have done (or would do should he be reelected). Not sure why you are making the worldnews comment. Reddit has had a very nuanced take on this whole situation (which isn't always the case).

Either way, Netanyahu needs to be removed from power and hopefully face an international court (although that second part won't happen).

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
Certainly not blinded in my support for Biden. I'm just saying I trust him when he says he will withhold aid in the event of another large scale invasion. I imagine most of the 34,000 deaths are not Hamas. Israel is to blame for that. Netanyahu needs to go that much is clear. I just believe Biden has done a decent job of navigating this situation while handling the War in Ukraine. Much better than whatever Trump would have done (or would do should he be reelected). Not sure why you are making the worldnews comment. Reddit has had a very nuanced take on this whole situation (which isn't always the case).

Either way, Netanyahu needs to be removed from power and hopefully face an international court (although that second part won't happen).

Reddit has a nuanced take on this? Lmfao. Lmaooooooooooooo.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

I'm here scratching my head trying to think what can be worse than material support for the genocide, the unwavering political cover internationally, violent suppression of free speech domestically to silent any criticism of Israel, and a steady stream of lies and fake news both from the administration and the mainstream media. Biden is as Trumpian as it goes on this issue.

rashbeep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

lmao

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
The worldnews subreddit is such a cesspool of hate against Palestinians and Arabs. It's unbelievable to see the biggest subreddit for news become so casually vile like that.

Sorry to bring other website drama in to this thread but every major subreddit is like this. r/europe is appalling, r/politics might be even worse. It's clear they're being astro turfed HARD

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Sorry to bring other website drama in to this thread but every major subreddit is like this. r/europe is appalling, r/politics might be even worse. It's clear they're being astro turfed HARD
Yeah I don't mean to derail this thread. It's just shocking how immoral some mainstream corners of the internet are when it comes to Palestinian people. It unfortunately explains why the IDF can do whatever they want with little consequence in their onslaught against the people of Gaza. So many people just don't view Palestinians as people worthy of the same dignity as everyone else.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
My prediction is that Israel will do everything they can in Rafah just short of invasion (more targeted strikes etc) and Biden will still send the weapons.
Unfortunately no chance in hell they'll face any consequences for the irresponsible way they've waged this war, but for the sake of the people in Gaza I hope it's winding down.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
At this point, I wonder if even Israel believes the supposed redline because when you have been wagging your finger saying you will get mad if they burn down the house while supplying them the gasoline and matches, I have some doubts they particularly buy into it.

Anyway, hopefully we won't ever find out, although if we do, suspect that's going to become a special military operation really quick.

I mean:

View: https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1787933590912708896

Miller talking like many talking heads did back in turn of 2021 and 2022.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017

ahhhh, which "Reddit" are you referring to, exactly?

Cause there is quite a big gap between how r/Worldnews is filtering this vs, IDK, JewsofConscience

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
My prediction is that Israel will do everything they can in Rafah just short of invasion (more targeted strikes etc) and Biden will still send the weapons.
Unfortunately no chance in hell they'll face any consequences for the irresponsible way they've waged this war, but for the sake of the people in Gaza I hope it's winding down.
I think that will be true if Bibi ultimately signs a deal, but if he continues to refuse Biden ends up looking incredibly weak and de-leverages himself if he just ultimately capitulates. Not to mention the anger would only grow domestically.

Someone will have to correct me if I am wrong, but I also think Bibi is a bit boxed in here domestically. He is being threatened from his right flank if he doesn't go into Rafah, risking dissolution from the left flank if he turns down a hostage deal the US and Saudi Arabia are backing. The public already hates him and while they back a Rafah invasion they desire the hostages back even more.

I won't pretend to know all the angles but feels like the walls are closing in as long as Biden holds firm....which like you I am not necessarily sure he will.

Mar 18, 2019
Depressing that all the solutions being offered mean Israel get away with it. At least lots of the next generation of people now will always have negative emotions towards the IDF
At this point, I think the only real permanent solution is to dismantle the Israeli apartheid ethno-state altogether and replace it with a single democratic state with equality for all Palestinians and Jews in the land. Boomers won't allow it, but it's only a matter of time before Boomers die away and get replaced by Zoomers.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

It's Time to Stop Ignoring the Sexual Violence Happening in Gaza

Since Israel launched its war on Gaza, Gazan men and women have provided extensive testimony as to the nature of sexual assault perpetrated by the Israeli military. And although gendered violence pervaded everyday life for Palestinians in both the West Bank and Gaza prior to the current ongoing assault, feminists who rally around the reports of rape of Israeli women, like Sheryl Sandberg and Hillary Clinton, have not lent Palestinian women the same level of concern.

The journalist Peter Beinart describes this as anti-Palestinian bigotry, which is often overlooked "not because anti-Palestinian bigotry is rare but because it is ubiquitous." The ubiquity of Western audiences writing off Palestinian concerns also desensitizes them to the everyday reality of violence, whether encountering harassment at checkpoints in the West Bank or the epidemic of malnourishment in Gaza.

Although Gazan women have given testimony to sexual violence perpetrated by Israeli soldiers, gender-based violence is also much broader and more manifold than this. Israel's military assault and its subsequent manufacturing of a mass humanitarian crisis in Gaza has resulted in wide-scale violence that disproportionately affects women.

The Israeli military's policy that any Gazan man who is of "military age" is a suspected terrorist and therefore a tenable subject of torture has led to a carte blanche approach to arbitrary arrest and degradation. In December, the BBC verified footage circulating on social media of dozens of Palestinian men stripped to their underwear, kneeling on the ground, handcuffed and blindfolded. One journalist who was detained, Diaa Al-Kahlout, described to the Committee to Protect Journalists the psychological and physical torture he endured in Israeli prison until being released 33 days later.

Sexualized violence appears not just in Israeli prisons, but also in the homes of Gazans. A recent trend among young Israeli soldiers is to post photos of themselves with Gazan women's lingerie on social media or on their dating profiles. As photojournalist Nina Berman notes, these images implicitly speak to the violation of intimate space in Gaza, and the erasure of the women "who loved and cared for each other and shared private moments and pleasures." In one image, an Israeli soldier poses with white high heels, which he took from a Palestinian woman and plans to bring back to his girlfriend. It's a chilling image, and one that feels microcosmic of the ultimate power imbalance at play.

www.thenation.com

It’s Time to Stop Ignoring the Sexual Violence Happening in Gaza

As long as our outrage is selectively assigned only to specific victims in specific contexts, we are lying to ourselves about the reality of violence in war zones.

Earlier this year, the UN reported on sexual violence against Palestinian men and women detained by Israel. This was one of many such reports since last year.

Oct 28, 2017

Israel mulls options for Rafah after Biden threatens to withhold arms

Israel is recalibrating the next steps of its war against Hamas following warnings by President Biden that the United States will cut off offensive weapons shipments if the Israeli military advances into Rafah, the southern Gazan city that is harboring more than 1 million Palestinians.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has yet to respond to Biden's unprecedented policy shift. But Yaakov Amidror, a former national security adviser to Netanyahu, said that the "surprise" warning has caught Israel off guard and will compel the war cabinet to reconsider whether and how it will enter Rafah — "if it will bear the consequence of going in without American support, or if it will stop the operation, which will allow Hamas to be unharmed in the area."

The public rupture, which included Biden's assertion that civilians have been killed by the U.S.-made munitions supplied to Israel, comes after months of disagreement between the two countries over Israel's conduct in the war, and as cease-fire negotiations between Israel and Hamas in Cairo teeter toward collapse.

On Thursday, Hamas said that it was sending its delegation back to Doha, Qatar, and that it remained committed to the cease-fire outline that it announced on Monday, even as Israel's moves threatened negotiations. Israel maintains that the agreement Hamas approved is different from the one on the table.

Several Israeli officials did respond to Biden's threat and repeated Israeli vows to dismantle Hamas's four remaining battalions in Rafah and seal off the border with Egypt, where Israel says Hamas has a subterranean tunnel network designed to facilitate the smuggling of weapons.

"Israel will continue to fight Hamas until its destruction," Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz wrote Thursday on X, without mentioning the crisis. "There is no war more just than this."
National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir was blunter, tweeting, "Hamas [heart emoji] Biden," suggesting that the militant group loves the U.S. president. The two ministers are key to the ruling coalition but not part of Israel's war cabinet.

An estimated 80,000 people have evacuated from eastern Rafah in recent days, according to the U.N. Relief and Works Agency, the largest aid agency in the enclave. The Israeli incursion has shut the two main crossings into southern Gaza, Rafah and Kerem Shalom. While Israeli authorities said Kerem Shalom has been reopened, keeping their promises to the U.S. administration, aid agencies say trucks are not going through.

Hamas has also periodically targeted the Kerem Shalom crossing, including on Sunday, when four Israeli soldiers were killed in what Israeli described as a Hamas mortar attack.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, not all people don't know awful he is. He is the worst.

Prior to entering office Ben-Gvir was known to have a portrait in his living room of Israeli-American mass murderer Baruch Goldstein, who massacred 29 Palestinian Muslim worshipers and wounded 125 others in Hebron, in the 1994 Cave of the Patriarchs massacre;[7][48] he removed the portrait in preparation for the 2020 Israeli legislative election in hope of being allowed to run on the unified right list headed by Naftali Bennett.[49]

Jan 20, 2024
Yeah, not all people don't know awful he is. He is the worst.

A settler and lawyer, Ben-Gvir was cleared by Israel's high court to serve as a cabinet minister despite convictions for incitement to racism and for supporting a terror group – Meir Kahane's banned Kach party. In 2015, in the immediate aftermath of the murder of members of the Palestinian Dawabshe family in an arson attack on a West Bank village, he was filmed as an attender at a wedding party of a radical settler along with now sanctioned anti-Arab activist Bentzi Gopstein.

In the footage, guests could be seen stabbing a picture of Ali Dawabshe, a toddler who died during the attack, waving guns and firebombs and singing. Netanyahu, who described the images as "shocking", would later give Ben-Gvir a portfolio with responsibility for Israel's police.

www.theguardian.com

Netanyahu’s political survival in hands of far-right ministers

Reliance on extremist allies such as Itamar Ben-Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich distancing prime minister from Israeli public

Vile doesn't even begin to cover how awful of a person this is.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

Seen so much stupid chatter like this online on X. It's like this minor pushback from Biden, after Israel has already killed 34,000 people, is some major betrayal or something.

It's mind boggling seeing this same sentiment from US senators like Fetterman, Ritchie Torres, and others treating Biden like some kind of traitor on this because he has softened a centimeter with Israel. Nothing less than full submission to Israel, a foreign entity, is acceptable apparently. Actually wild to see from our own government.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
bafkreicdco5f2yegpcvx4wabmv4eelt63ogb2nhk6thgozn4hojgttc2km@jpeg

why did I ever think this man was progressive jesus christ. Regardless of the alternative in Mehmet Oz, I regret ever voting this genocidal ghoul into office.
Proper due diligence on local Dem candidates will be a strict priority of mine in the next race; I won't be fooled again.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

why did I ever think this man was progressive jesus christ. Regardless of the alternative in Mehmet Oz, I regret ever voting this genocidal ghoul into office.
Proper due diligence on local Dem candidates will be a strict priority of mine in the next race; I won't be fooled again.

It's clearly a paid heel-turn. Fetterman has some other shitty history but sometimes a person's lack of integrity isn't so obvious until AIPAC starts writing checks.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017

I don't think you were a fool to vote for him. He clearly has taken a hard turn on Israel that is totally unreasonable. You can't see the future, after all.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
So Netanyahu basically said he's going to cross Biden's line in the sand and just go at it alone? Jeez. He is absolutely committed to this genocide.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Fetterman was pretty fervent supporter of Israel in the primary too, but I think a lot of people assumed he held that position to avoid AIPAC or DMFI funding his opponents.

Nov 4, 2017
As somebody outside the US, the impression I got of Fetterman before 7 October 2023 was that he was a pretty cool dude in hoodies who was too busy helping people to waste time and money on fancy, uncomfortable suits. My cynical side was of course skeptical and knew there was some shittiness below the veneer, but he seemed better than your average US politician at least. It wasn't until Israel ramped up the genocide that Fetterman being a POS became apparent to me. I can totally see how people would have voted for him based on the highlights that tickled to me down under. It's sad that politicians can be so openly bought and paid for on this issue without consequence.

If Biden actually follows through on not sending artillery and bombs to Israel, I think I'll die of shock.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
As somebody outside the US, the impression I got of Fetterman before 7 October 2023 was that he was a pretty cool dude in hoodies who was too busy helping people to waste time and money on fancy, uncomfortable suits. My cynical side was of course skeptical and knew there was some shittiness below the veneer, but he seemed better than your average US politician at least. It wasn't until Israel ramped up the genocide that Fetterman being a POS became apparent to me. I can totally see how people would have voted for him based on the highlights that tickled to me down under. It's sad that politicians can be so openly bought and paid for on this issue without consequence.

If Biden actually follows through on not sending artillery and bombs to Israel, I think I'll die of shock.

he's very clearly setting up leaving the Democratic party in the next few years, look at his anti-migrant stuff and his stoking culture wars on lab grown meat

Oct 28, 2017

US facing obstacles getting aid delivered to Gaza after finishing pier construction

The pier and causeway, known as Joint Logistics Over the Shore or JLOTS, will ultimately be used by the US, its allies and aid groups to get aid into Gaza by sea from Cyprus. But the system had to be moved to the Port of Ashdod last week due to heavy seas, and it still hasn't left.

Even when JLOTS becomes operational, the weather and sea conditions may severely limit the ability to use the floating pier.

It can only be safely operated in conditions with a maximum of 3-foot waves and winds less than approximately 15 miles per hour, according to a 2006 Naval War College paper on the systems limitations. A prediction of sea conditions from Israel's Marine Data Center shows waves are often at or near that 3-foot limit in the area.

A defense official confirmed to CNN that the limitations on the pier system are accurate.

"The bottom line – heavy seas do have an effect on the ability to execute the JLOTS mission," the official said. If winds or waves are stronger, loading and unloading using the JLOTS pier becomes dangerous.

Another potentially complicating factor is how Israel decides to proceed with its operation in Rafah, in southern Gaza, US officials said. A major Israeli offensive there could raise additional security concerns and impact the timing of when the pier and causeway are staged in the eastern Mediterranean. The planned staging area for the aid once it reaches Gaza has been hit by mortar and rocket fire at least twice in the last several weeks, CNN has reported.

The US is also still working to finalize plans about who will actually transport humanitarian aid from the pier to the shore in Gaza, according to multiple US officials familiar with the matter.

The UK had initially offered to provide personnel to help drive aid trucks from the US military-built causeway off the coast of Gaza to the shore, where it would be picked up by UN personnel overseen by the World Food Programme, officials said. But the British recently withdrew that offer amid security concerns, the sources said.

The US, meanwhile, has ruled out using its own troops to drive the aid to the beach, because the Biden administration does not want American personnel getting that close to Gaza, officials have said.

One plan being discussed is for Israeli contractors to transport the aid, the officials and another source familiar with the matter told CNN. But that could also change and is not finalized, despite the Pentagon predicting that the pier will be up and running in the next several days.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Biden gave Israel everything they wanted and even the mere whiff of consequences has him branded as a kkkhhhamas lover with democrats and republicans chiming in.

And now he's hated by all sides. Masterful gambit, sir! Maybe you should have listened to your fucking base months ago?

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect it's part domestic damage control and part dissuading them from going into Lebanon.
Until proven otherwise, I don't think the Biden admin cares what Israel does with what remains of Gaza.

Yup. Lebanon would escalate things dramatically and Netanyahu is desperate enough to get them involved to hold onto power for even a day longer.

View: https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1788612451266674747

It's so gross when a donor pleas with Biden to allow a slaughter for votes.

Is this the dude that distributed power rangers in the US? I regret how much I contributed to his wealth. Piece of shit.

US facing obstacles getting aid delivered to Gaza after finishing pier construction

$300 million dollars of our tax money, folks! Just the most brilliant people.

Nov 4, 2017
Biden gave Israel everything they wanted and even the mere whiff of consequences has him branded as a kkkhhhamas lover with democrats and republicans chiming in.

And now he's hated by all sides. Masterful gambit, sir! Maybe you should have listened to your fucking base months ago?
Yeah, I had to bite my tongue and delete so many half-written furious posts early on on this escalation when people were acting like Biden was playing some kind of 12-dimensional brinkmanship and was going to resolve everything with some grand, master plan we weren't privy to. I think he's grossly miscalculated what was going on and what was going to happen.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/prem_thakker/status/1788676927634423993

Yeah, I had to bite my tongue and delete so many half-written furious posts early on on this escalation when people were acting like Biden was playing some kind of 12-dimensional brinkmanship and was going to resolve everything with some grand, master plan we weren't privy to. I think he's grossly miscalculated what was going on and what was going to happen.

They really thought people would get over Gaza in a week or two as Israel quietly slaughtered them out of existence. It didnt help that Israel is just mask off with their genocide so every time Matt Miller or John Kirby goes on stage and gaslights the shit out of everyone, it only makes people angrier.

Its also because hes a racist and he genuinely doesnt understand why people would actually care about Palestinians. Like you have him and Hillary clinton on TV shitting on student protestors, calling them dumb and that they dont understand. So many liberal pundits have shared the same sentiment and cook up all kinds of crazy reasons for why students are Pro palestinian, by calling them either hamas operatives or because...theyre not having enough sex.

The trump years really elevated a lot of dumb shitheads like Galloway to prominence because were vocally anti-trump.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Those sentences don't make sense. He is being attacked now by people that are part of his base for moderating his position, so regardless of timing, his actions would rankle all facets of the political spectrum on the issue.