• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game. Some stuff is fine even at 30, other stuff framerate is king. Playing FH4 at locked in at half-sync (72 fps) on my 144Hz display is sooooooooooooooo goooooooooood

Some stuff may be fine at 30fps, but it's noticeably better when moving to a higher frame rate.

I've been playing Dark Souls on Switch and it plays fine. Then I fired up Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3 on PC, and it's a night and day difference in how much better they feel.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
Competely overrated unless we're talking VR. if you have resources to spare as a developer, literally everything else is more important to me: framerate, effects work, physics, texture resolution, Polycount, the number of bones in your rigs, etcpp.
the only thing I ask for is using the displays native resolution in menus. Besides this, I'm good

here's something that is however comparatively underrated:
Color accuracy.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Playing AC origins, Detroit etc. on a kuro plasma says otherwise. It's very sharp and clean.

1080p is still a good resolution for a crisp picture. That extends to movies too. blurays look ridiculously good my kuro.

1080p is great... on a 1080p native display and if you've never seen 4K set up correctly. Just like 720p was great for people who hadn't seen proper 1080p,or 480p was for people who hadn't see proper 720p. The point is there are always people like you/OP/etc, who think what they have and are used to is "great"... until they have the tech and the content (having both is important here) to realize, no, in fact there's still plenty of improvement to go. It will be the same with 8K. Early in 8K era people like you will just have accepted 4K finally and insist 4K is great and 8K isn't necessary. We have these kinds of topics/discussions every damn transition, just like console generations, but people never learn. We aren't even close to diminishing returns.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
1080p is great... on a 1080p native display and if you've never seen 4K set up correctly. Just like 720p was great for people who hadn't seen proper 1080p,or 480p was for people who hadn't see proper 720p. The point is there are always people like you/OP/etc, who think what they have and are used to is "great"... until they have the tech and the content (having both is important here) to realize, no, in fact there's still plenty of improvement to go. It will be the same with 8K. Early in 8K era people like you will just have accepted 4K finally and insist 4K is great and 8K isn't necessary. We have these kinds of topics/discussions every damn transition, just like console generations, but people never learn. We aren't even close to diminishing returns.
Some people like myself have seen 4k content and still think that whilst increasing resolution beyond 1080p is nice to have, it's a far far lower priority than improving visuals in other areas, and framerate is certainly a bigger priority. All else being equal, it's a benefit to increase the resolution, but to my eye it's not the best use of system resources in cases where games are still running at 30fps.

Forza Horizon 4 on One X is perhaps the best solution in terms of consoles, where you can chose between 1080p/60fps and 4k/30fps. I'd be very happy for that to become the default.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean even today not every game is at least 1080p 60fps.
Still waiting for every game going forward to achieve this.

Zubalon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
What even is this response? That's a horrible way to think about this hobby. This hobby is for everything even the "poor" people who can't afford to buy a 4K television...Jesus
Just if you cant afford a 4kTV your priorities shouldn't be on gaming. Possibly improve your finances first then worry abour 4k gaming being worth it. Unless your a kid then just beg your parents to upgrade on black Friday.