• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I was observing the trajectory of the great intellectual properties under the umbrella of Microsoft / Xbox Studios and I ended up realizing how most of the IPs that we identified as part of the Xbox were acquired from third parties, either with the purchase of the studio or with the rights of the IP fixed in the production . I cite examples:

- Halo, created by Bungie.
- Gears of War, created by Epic.
- Fable, created by Lionhead.
- Banjo, created by Rare (at the time of the partnership with Nintendo).
- Minecraft, created by Mojang.
- Alan Wake, created by Remedy.
- Crackdown, created by Realtime Worlds.
- Killer Instinct, created by Rare.
- State of Decay, created by Undead Labs.
- Quantum Break, created by Remedy.
- Cuphead, creation of StudioMDHR.
- Hellblade, created by Ninja Theory.
- Sunset overdrive, created by Insomniac.
- Ori, creation of Moon Studios.
- Flight Simulator, acquired in the 80's.
- Age of Empires, creation of Ensemble Studios.

We can mention as new IPs produced by studios already part of the body of Microsoft:

- Sea of Thieves, by Rare.
- Forza, on Turn 10.
- Everwild, by Rare.

I'm possibly forgetting titles on both lists. But I think the point is clear. It seems to me that Microsoft needs to go through the same transformation that Sony went through during the PlayStation 3 era, more than a decade ago and start to trust its studios, produce new ideas at home and give the spotlight.

I am not sure that continuing to chase other people's IPs is a sustainable path.

What do you think?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
That's basically what they're doing with Rare lol

Shinobi says they've become a "New IP Factory", hence SOT and Everwild. I guess shit like 343 will forever be a Halo factory.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think this thread makes sense, at least not right now.

We don't know what most Xbox studios are doing.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Uhhhh isn't the reason why Sunset Overdrive is on Xbox is because Insomniac wanted to own the IP.

And StudioMDHR owns the Cuphead IP.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I was observing the trajectory of the great intellectual properties under the umbrella of Microsoft / Xbox Studios and I ended up realizing how most of the IPs that we identified as part of the Xbox were acquired from third parties, either with the purchase of the studio or with the rights of the IP fixed in the production . I cite examples:

- Halo, created by Bungie.
- Gears of War, created by Epic.
- Fable, created by Lionhead.
- Banjo, created by Rare (at the time of the partnership with Nintendo).
- Minecraft, created by Mojang.
- Alan Wake, created by Remedy.
- Crackdown, created by Realtime Worlds.
- Killer Instinct, created by Rare.
- State of Decay, created by Undead Labs.
- Quantum Break, created by Remedy.
- Cuphead, creation of StudioMDHR.
- Hellblade, created by Ninja Theory.
- Sunset overdrive, created by Insomniac.
- Ori, creation of Moon Studios.
- Flight Simulator, acquired in the 80's.
- Age of Empires, creation of Ensemble Studios.

We can mention as new IPs produced by studios already part of the body of Microsoft:

- Sea of Thieves, by Rare.
- Forza, on Turn 10.
- Everwild, by Rare.

I'm possibly forgetting titles on both lists. But I think the point is clear. It seems to me that Microsoft needs to go through the same transformation that Sony went through during the PlayStation 3 era, more than a decade ago and start to trust its studios, produce new ideas at home and give the spotlight.

I am not sure that continuing to chase other people's IPs is a sustainable path.

What do you think?
So, they should dump their existing IP and start afresh? Who does this in gaming?

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Viva Piñata is another example of where Rare was able to create something beloved under the Microsoft umbrella. So they do exist, and I'd love to see more of them. Hopefully Obsidian and IneXile are given a chance to build an RPG legacy for Xbox! That would get me back into the fold faster than anything else I can think of.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Can can put a ban on all of the weird "Xbox needs to do this/Xbox is joyless" posts till after July

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja theory for sure is working on new IP, Project Mara. Playground is rumored to be working on fable but could be a new RPG IP. Obsidian is rumored to be working in a new IP, plus they are about to release grounded. compulsion is supposed to be working on something new, same with double fine.

343 was founded to basically make Halo, I doubt they stray from that

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I don't think this thread makes sense, at least not right now.

We don't know what most Xbox studios are doing.

Even of those we are not sure, how many can we realistically bet are working on IPs other than the ones they created when they were not part of Microsoft?

Playground Games must be working on an RPG, Compulsion Games must be working on some new game (I can't imagine any Contrast or We Are Happy Few sequences), and I don't see anyone else working on anything potentially new.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that was what Rare was for.

I imagine many of their new acquisitions will have new IPs as well.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I like that they do a Mix.

They have their Big classic IPs, Halo , Gears, Forza , Fable.
They did spin offs into other genres from those IPs (Halo Wars, Gears tactics, Forza Horizon, Fable legends even if it failed)
Revival of their clasical IPs Battletoads, Killer Instinct
And new Ips like Sea of thieves and Sunset Overdrive.

I hope they keep this next gen, they just need to increase the quality, but their clearly imrproved on the problem of "Gears, Halo Forza"

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely would rather that over digging up old IP. I do believe ultimately that a lot of what their studios are making right now will be all new stuff.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It makes no difference if they own the IP anyway (which is not the case of Alan Wake, Cuphead and Sunset Overdrive by the way).

But I think most people want to see new AAA IP's from their studios.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
i really hope the rumors about the Initiative rebooting Perfect Dark is false, i want to see something brand new from that team with all that talent.

not to mention, its another scifi shooter, like how many do you need?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Why does it matter? Just make good games that people want. Age of Empires 2 has been huge and well liked, I don't see why they shouldn't work on giving people more games like that.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Fairly certain you will see a lot of new IPs. Tbh I'd expect Microsoft to have more new IPs than Sony and Nintendo. They may not all be massive AAA games though, but I think there will be quite a few new IPs by them. With Game Pass, they will be willing to take more risks. Should be fun.

FYI, a demo of a new IP of theirs just dropped today. Grounded, by Obsidian.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
It's not what their studios are doing?

Continuing the Xbox legacy (Halo, Gears of War,...) and creating new games under Microsoft umbrella?

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
So unless it's a studio that Microsoft founded those IPs are what, not worthy somehow? That's some interesting logic...

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog as well.

Wanted to mention them as well, but they may yet return to their original IPs while I think GG is done with Killzone. But, yeah, you're right. In fact, most Sony 1st party studios decide to do something completely new from time to time.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I mean...

- Grounded
- Bleeding Edge
- Project Mara
- Everwild
- Sea of Thieves

So not sure where the idea they are not doing new IPs is coming from? Also worth pointing out that many of these have been met with a lot of skepticism here on ERA, cause how dare devs try something new...

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I think they are working on some good stuff. With the acquisitions I expect to see plenty of new things. Looking forward to July event.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
It's well past time. I'm going to roll my eyes when they announce another Fable.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean...

- Grounded
- Bleeding Edge
- Project Mara
- Everwild
- Sea of Thieves

So not sure where the idea they are not doing new IPs is coming from? Also worth pointing out that many of these have been met with a lot of skepticism here on ERA, cause how dare devs try something new...

Its the old "Xbox only has Halo, Gear and Forza!" rearing its lazy head.

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
So unless it's a studio that Microsoft founded those IPs are what, not worthy somehow? That's some interesting logic...

My point is: Microsoft is betting on buying IPs, not creating them. She might as well take the money she spent on acquiring these IPs and invest in in-house studios. Look at Nintendo and, more recently, Sony. Very few games in the Switch or PlayStation 4 exclusive catalog are from acquisitions or third parties. Perhaps, of relevance we can mention Pokémon and Ratchet & Clanck.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
That was after a giant quality drop from killzone 2 to 4. If Killzone was as successful as Gran Turismo, sony would still be making more killzone games (We got 5 if we count the one from PSP).

The poster I replied to asked "Who does that in gaming", not the reason they do it. Also, as others have noted - so do other Sony 1st party devs like ND (a completely new IP TLOU instead of the next Uncharted) and Sucker Punch (Ghost of Tsushima instead of inFAMOUS). Many devs do this, in fact, but I mention Sony ones because the OP is asking about Microsoft 1st party studios an new IPs.

And yes, I think they should come up with new IPs alongside existing ones.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Killzone Libertation
Killzone 2
Killzone 3
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Horizon Zero Dawn.
Horizon II: Forbidden West.

Rare
Conker Live and Reloaded.
Perfect Dark Zero.
Kameo: Elements of Power.
Viva Pinata.
Kinect Sports.
Sea of Thieves.
Everwild.

343i is similar to say Studio Santa Monica. Turn 10 is similar to Polyphony Digital.

As a company, you do not walk away from quality IP that lead to great games and they still shift a lot of units. This is madness.

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I mean...

- Grounded
- Bleeding Edge
- Project Mara
- Everwild
- Sea of Thieves

So you are saying that they are changing. Because the perception is that they are more for EA than for Nintendo.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I dont think it really matters so much who first came up with the idea, as long as the games are good. The problem for me is that Halo went downhill after MS took over, they pretty much run the franchise into the ground. I think MS should take a Nintendo as an example and let some of their franchises rest for a while, maybe letting older or less known series take the spotlight for a second. How about a new/remake of Jet Set Radio Future? The game is still only playable on the original Xbox!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
My point is: Microsoft is betting on buying IPs, not creating them. She might as well take the money she spent on acquiring these IPs and invest in in-house studios. Look at Nintendo and, more recently, Sony. Very few games in the Switch or PlayStation 4 exclusive catalog are from acquisitions or third parties. Perhaps, of relevance we can mention Pokémon and Ratchet & Clanck.

Sony invest quite a bit in first party games made by third party devs. Demon's Souls, Returnal, Death Stranding, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Detroit...

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Killzone Libertation
Killzone 2
Killzone 3
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Horizon Zero Dawn.
Horizon II: Forbidden West.

Rare
Conker Live and Reloaded.
Perfect Dark Zero.
Kameo: Elements of Power.
Viva Pinata.
Kinect Sports.
Sea of Thieves.
Everwild.

343i is similar to say Studio Santa Monica. Turn 10 is similar to Polyphony Digital.

As a company, you do not walk away from quality IP that lead to great games and they still shift a lot of units. This is madness.

My point was never that Microsoft should abandon franchises. My point is very clear: Microsoft has always invested in the purchase of IPs, not in the construction of them. And I'm asking if the MS should.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I dont think it really matters so much who first came up with the idea, as long as the games are good. The problem for me is that Halo went downhill after MS took over, they pretty much run the franchise into the ground. I think MS should take a Nintendo as an example and let some of their franchises rest for a while, maybe letting older or less known series take the spotlight for a second. How about a new/remake of Jet Set Radio Future? The game is still only playable on the original Xbox!
Halo has been managed by Microsoft from day one.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is such a weird premise for a thread. Yes, companies acquire other companies for their expertise and/or their IP. This is nothing new.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018

I didn't say they should abandon existing IPs but at least some of the 1st party studios should - in my opinion - be working on new IPs that people will associate with Xbox (just like people associate Kratos, Aloy, Ellie with Playstation).

For example, Hellblade is a great game and I can't wait to play Hellblade 2 - but my first association is not Xbox when I think about it. That will probably change when 2 is out, but I still think Microsoft could use a couple of new, unique IPs that were born under their umbrella. I could be wrong, ofc, it's just my opinion (and I'd love to see new IPs so maybe I'm not objective. Give me Gears 6, though.)

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Sony invest quite a bit in first party games made by third party devs. Demon's Souls, Returnal, Death Stranding, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Detroit...

I think my point is not yet clear. I'm not saying that Microsoft is the only one that does, but that Microsoft uses the IP purchase model more than any other console manufacturer.

It's one thing to take a studio and finance a project for them. Another is to take a project in progress and buy it. Using second party studios is equivalent to the first ones in my view. Buying IP is different. Realize?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think the "successful mainstays don't count" combined with "smaller/novel/experimental titles don't count" is the most transparently empty criticism of a publisher, whether or not they're named "Microsoft."

I also think this "concern" is oddly timed, given the impending reveals and years of outward progress on a well-trodden topic.