ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
My stepdaughter is here for the weekend and she has very recently started watching streams of somebody named "Denis" playing Roblox racing courses.

It seemed innocent enough for a while, and then I noticed that he was in a racing cart thing that is decorated with pictures of Pepe the frog - the sad version that existed before it was coopted by the alt right.

This immediately set off alarm bells but I didn't notice anything else that might be suspect.

Still, it makes me uneasy. Should I be concerned about this guy?

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go through the videos and see if there's any alt-right messaging blended in.

If there's not, there's probably no issue.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I googled him and got weird Roblox videos, no thanks.
See if you can watch an episode with her

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I use pepe stickers on telegram and I definitely don't identify as alt-right, but those who kinda post them in the open are suspect, even more so if they're "social media influencers".

I have no idea who this Denis guy is, link the video if you could.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter watches him and "The pals" which he is a part of and there is nothing wrong about him or them in general very kid friendly. Not even a single swear word. I have no-issue with her watching him.

Her and I wouldn't even know what the fuck Pepe the frog is anyway so its meaning doesnt even matter.

brandonbrb

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Junior phase account making an inflammatory drive-by and community whining
Era being Era, what a wonderfull world is coming.

Mister Saturn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Resetera is probably the wrong place to ask, as some posters here see the alt-right in anything that doesn't conform to their preconceptions. Like others before me have said, I think your best course is to check over a few of his videos to see for yourself if they're something you are okay with your stepdaughter watching.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Pepe alone doesn't necessarily mean alt righter. There's some good antifa pepe images too.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Pepe the Frog was a fairly "apolitical" meme long before the alt-right really existed and mostly became associated with them via the fact that the first exposure to him that most "normies" had was in the context of alt-right shit so some dumbasses called him "Pepe the Nazi frog" which the alt-right proceeded to try to run with as far as they could without getting sued by Matt Furie. Plenty of people either don't know that people associate him with the alt-right or just don't personally define him by that and that alone.

So yeah, while I would personally avoid using him in any context I'd also say using Pepe in and of itself shouldn't really be considered a red flag.

Oct 25, 2017
Pepe was just a dumb joke character that got popular with a bad crowd after already being popular as a general meme and then the creator sued.
If you don't see anything lousy going on in the videos then it's probably nothing and you're getting yourself worked up. It's a cartoon frog.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
People using Pepe The Frog are not necessary alt-righters.
90% of Twitch streamers use Pepe in their sub channel and they are not all alt righters.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't believe in the whole co-opting philosophy.

I knew that frog image from long before as "feelsbadman", not some alt-right emblem. So I'm always going to think of it and use it as feelsbadman

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
He's weird and annoying, like most YT personalities, but not really bad for kids. My nephew goes on and off watching him when he gets into/out of Roblox. I'd prefer him to watch this guy than DanTDM or the kids on FGTV.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody using pepe and not spouting alt right garbage is probably either trying to "reclaim" it or is """"" apolitical """"". I wouldn't expect him to say anything bad, but if I had a choice between pepe guy and somebody with a fucking moral compass i probably wouldn't choose pepe guy.

plus with youtube using bullshit algorithms based on viewers other interests for all their videos, avoiding pepe is probably a good way to slightly reduce the odds of the next fascist or mens rights recommendation that'll come up on the feed.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Wait what? Pepe the frog is just a meme. He got associated with shit now? This is new

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't know what this means.

Honestly I already know the answer to my question - the guy has got to go. I guess this is more of a PSA/warning thread than anything else.
wait what. Why did you even say "Should I be concerned?" in your OP then? At the very least you could explain why you've come to the conclusion that this youtuber "has got to go", especially considering you literally stated in the OP that nothing else was suspect. What a weird thread this is.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This reminds me of my girlfriend recently saying she's uncomfortable with my nephew having an undercut because it feels nazi-ish due to the Tiki torch alt righters' style.

It makes me mad, our tendency to just give horrible people cultural stuff for fear of association.

Pepe is fine. It's fine to think it's a flag to look further into especially when it comes to online personalities, but in and of itself it doesn't mean much.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Sad Pepe is just a harmless meme. You should probably still watch a couple of this guy's videos though just to make their content is kid-friendly in general.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
This reminds me of my girlfriend recently saying she's uncomfortable with my nephew having an undercut because it feels nazi-ish due to the Tiki torch alt righters' style.

It makes me mad, our tendency to just give horrible people cultural stuff for fear of association.

Pepe is fine. It's fine to think it's a flag to look further into especially when it comes to online personalities, but in and of itself it doesn't mean much.
I can see why someone wouldn't get a charlie chaplin 'tash these days, but is an undercut really "nazi-ish"?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sad Pepe is just a harmless meme. You should probably still watch a couple of this guy's videos though just to make their content is kid-friendly in general.
Yep. honestly, it's best for parents to do this with all channels. Never let your kids watch Youtube unsupervised.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
For a lot of people, Pepe the Frog is just a funny cartoon face. And if they haven't seen the alt-right connotation behind it, why would it be anything else to them?

Take for instance myself. I know that the meme is used (and thusly associated) unscrupulously, but I haven't actually seen it used that way. I've been fortunate enough to miss out on that bullshit.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what this means.

Honestly I already know the answer to my question - the guy has got to go. I guess this is more of a PSA/warning thread than anything else.

Okay.

So, you see a picture of a frog used as meme by not only the alt-right, but by people of every political believe possible, and you decide that the youtuber has got to go?

I think generalizing people as bad for doing something that bad people also do is a worse thing to teach to kids than a frog meme, but that's my 2 cents.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As others said pepe is just a meme that was Co opted by the far right. Even the creator of the original pepe, if I recall correctly, said he would prefer the far right didn't use him.

But definitely watch one of his videos and see if he says anything iffy. Or Google to see if anybody has made a reddit thread about any horrible shit he's said.

dabs furiously

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that frog is racist, I'm no parent but would you leave your child with a racist?

OP
OP

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
wait what. Why did you even say "Should I be concerned?" in your OP then? At the very least you could explain why you've come to the conclusion that this youtuber "has got to go", especially considering you literally stated in the OP that nothing else was suspect. What a weird thread this is.

That's strange. So you already had your mind set?

Yeah despite not noticing anything else wrong, the OP made a thread to warn us about this dangerous memer. That or they managed to come to a very solid conclusion about 7 minutes after making this thread to ask if there's any chance this youtuber is actually a member of the alt-right.

This is a valid point - the thread appears to be misleading. I apologize for that.

I made the OP initially because I wasn't sure at first blush. After I posted it, I asked a few more friends and acquaintances and the overwhelming response I got was that it's not worth the risk and to just ban the guy.

So yes, I made up my mind about 5 minutes after I posted the initial thread. Any YouTuber that uses alt right iconography will not be tolerated in my house.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I guess this is more of a PSA/warning thread than anything else.

Edit: ah, you just replied. Fair enough, although I think you should probably just sit and watch what your kids are watching rather than relying on the flags of "alt-right iconography" (its not, but there you go) to give you a measuring stick for parenting. Theres probably youtubers out there who use bachelor frog memes, who are also kid-friendly, and youtubers who never use bachelor frog memes who aren't kid friendly at all.

Watch what your kid is watching, thats all there is to it.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Wait what? Pepe the frog is just a meme. He got associated with shit now? This is new

It started being used extensively on twitter by alt-righters in their shitty memes so it got associated with that. Still, plenty of people also use it in the same way they always have, so it is a bit of a grey area. In the end, it comes down to content.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Here's a relevant passage from the Anti-Defamation League's article about Pepe:

However, because so many Pepe the Frog memes are not bigoted in nature, it is important to examine use of the meme only in context. The mere fact of posting a Pepe meme does not mean that someone is racist or white supremacist. However, if the meme itself is racist or anti-Semitic in nature, or if it appears in a context containing bigoted or offensive language or symbols, then it may have been used for hateful purposes.

I think that says it all, really. If you see no sign of racism or alt-right dog whistling in his videos, then this is probably totally innocuous.

That said, I suspect this will fall on deaf ears since the OP appears to be operating in bad faith.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
This is a valid point - the thread appears to be misleading. I apologize for that.

I made the OP initially because I wasn't sure at first blush. After I posted it, I asked a few more friends and acquaintances and the overwhelming response I got was that it's not worth the risk and to just ban the guy.

So yes, I made up my mind about 5 minutes after I posted the initial thread. Any YouTuber that uses alt right iconography will not be tolerated in my house.
Ah ok! For some reason I thought you had made it AFTER you had made up your mind so my brain was trying to put the two together. And I couldn't come up with an answer lol.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
What the actual fuck OP?

Idk who that Youtuber is but having pepe the frog memes in your show does not make you automatically alt-right. This is some next-level judgmental prejudice.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Here's a relevant passage from the Anti-Defamation League's article about Pepe:

I think that says it all, really. If you see no sign of racism or alt-right dog whistling in his videos, then this is probably totally innocuous.

That said, I suspect this will fall on deaf ears since the OP appears to be operating in bad faith.
Yeah we're past that point already.

Use pepe meme = banned.
Have alt right content that only surfaces when a parent actually sits and watches said content = you're allowed to stay.